Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] U/G Enchantress

[Deck] U/G Enchantress

Over the last few weeks, Chris Andersen has been putting up good results in the SCG circuit with a "new" version of Enchantress that drops a lot of the prison elements of the G/W Enchantress decks (Solitare) and focuses instead on using Words of Wind and the multiple draw triggers from having multiple Enchantress effects in play to return the opponent's entire board to his or her hand while also generating mana and/or board presence with Cloud of Faeries. From there, winning is academic, as your opponent will never have another permanent on the board and you're free to kill him however you see fit. If you're confused as to exactly how that works (there's a lot of variation when it comes to exactly what cards you need) you can watch Chris take down Maverick in a match at SCG Indianapolis. And here is one of his most recent lists, for reference:

U/G Enchantress (Chris Andersen, Top 16 SCG St. Louis)
    Lands:
    4 Misty Rainforest
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Tropical Island
    1 Savannah
    1 Dryad Arbor
    7 Forest
    2 Island

Creatures:
    4 Argothian Enchantress
    4 Cloud of Faeries
    2 Eternal Witness

Spells:
    4 Wild Growth
    4 Utopia Sprawl
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Seal of Removal
    4 Elephant Grass
    4 Enchantress's Presence
    2 Words of Wind
    2 Carpet of Flowers
    1 Seal of Primordium
    1 Living Wish

SB:
    3 Force of Will
    2 Chill
    2 Seal of Primordium
    1 Krosan Grip
    1 Harmonic Sliver
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Verduran Enchantress
    1 Carpet of Flowers
    1 Dueling Ground
    1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    1 Gaddock Teeg

Here, Chris' most common route to victory once he's established the lock is to Living Wish for Emrakul, which certainly gets the job done. While Chris has done a lot to make the deck public, he's not the inventor. For the younger players, UG Enchantress was a fairly popular choice in old Extended, right around the time of Onslaught. Some of the cards were different, but the plan was exactly the same. Here's a list from Gabriel Nassif's run at the Masters that year. The earliest example of UG Enchantress in modern Legacy comes from Andrew Cuneo (Gainsay on MTGO), who has been playing this version of Enchantress for quite a while, most recently to a 5th place finish in the Legacy MOCS. Posting a list here would be fairly redundant, so I'll merely talk about some of the differences. Andrew's list plays with a Chrome Mox over a Dryad Arbor, and he uses a Mindbreak Trap instead of Living Wish. The sideboard is built with the MTGO metagame in mind, but some of the hits include more Mindbreak Traps (fast combo is rampant online, with Force of Will costing 3-4 times as much as any dual land) and Jace, the Mind Sculptor, which is particularly cute with Words of Wind. Andrew's plan is to simply beat the opponent to death with 1/1s and 2/1s with Mindbreak Trap backup every turn, rather than add any cards that don't directly contribute to setting up or executing the combo, which results in a deck that's almost completely fizzle-proof. As I said earlier though, the actual kill condition is academic, as having your entire board bounced back to your hand every single turn is sufficiently disheartening to earn you a concession.

I don't personally have enough experience with the deck to talk about things like matchups, so I'll leave that the Chrandersen and others. But basically, this is a turn 3-4 combo deck that plays some of the strongest enchantments ever printed. You get a lot of utility out of Green Sun's Zenith, which acts as backup Argothian Enchantresss, as well as letting you tutor for Eternal Witness and sideboard bullets, and in Chris' list, also serving as a 1-mana accelerant by getting Dryad Arbor. Elephant Grass is a strong way to buy time against aggro decks in general (and is particularly brutal against Dredge decks) and which can also buy you time against a deck like Belcher that might try to cast a large Empty the Warrens. You have a lot of game against control decks with perhaps the strongest draw engine of any deck in the format, and Eternal Witness to recur any cards that might get countered. Carpet of Flowers is an extremely powerful spell against any deck with Islands, as it will pretty much completely nullify Daze and Spell Pierce. Seal of Removal pulls double duty in buying you time against creature decks and in acting as Eternal Witness #3-6, as well as giving you a cheap way to replay Cloud of Faeries. The biggest weakness is combo, as with other versions of Enchantress, but in theory you have so much sideboard space that you can do pretty much anything you want.

I'll leave it to others with more experience to talk in depth about those experiences, and am particularly curious about how you've lost in the past and/or what matchups are overly difficult. Theory only gets you so far! In particular, it would be great to hear from Chrandersen or anyone else who's been playing this deck competitively.
    Last edited by benthetenor; 11-14-2012 at 01:08 PM.

Re: U/G Enchantress

Seal of Removal is also good against show and tell'd Emrakul's from opponents.

edit: And I don't want to be mean but I think Maverick is exactly the deck you want to face when playing UG Enchantress :)
    So that movie isn't that interesting. Like even Canonist can be stopped with Seal of Removal, or Seal of Prim if the Maverick player would have it in his board.

What I am curious about are Tempo and Combo match-ups. My guess is we really want Elephant Grass for Tempo, and a quick win vs combo.

Buying cardboard >
    Jan 2011
    801,Utah

This is the next deck that I'm building. I'll be playtesting it quite a bit. Until my next order gets it, it'll be proxied and going against main represented decks in the meta, along side decks I think will be a tough matchup for it.

Tap 2, Standstill. Good?
    Jul 2010
    Somewhere in Europe.

I wonder how sideboarding Force of Will works when you have 10 md blue cards. Unless the guy is planning to pitch Force on Force, I think it's a complete waste of SB space, since you are never going to make it with a grand total of 13 (!) blue cards. General consensus is around 16 to 18. And anyway I would never go below 18.
    Also, no Brainstorm?
    Are you into Jazz? Have a look at the Lp's I have for sale on Discogs!

Brainstorm is pretty much completely unnecessary since you have the extreme redundancy of playing with 12 or 13 virtual Enchantresses, and once you get a few of those down, every card you play will draw you 2-4 cards, making Brainstorm pretty poor. The only times it would be even remotely useful would be in the early game, but you can't afford to spend mana doing nothing, when you'd rather be casting accelerants or Enchantresses.

I personally agree with you on Force of Will, and in my own list I've just got a full set of Mindbreak Traps between sideboard and main since fast combo is probably your worst matchup and Mindbreak Trap is a pretty easy add. It's also what Cuneo was running with, and I don't see a huge reason to diverge from that. Maybe Chrandersen can give us his thoughts as to why he chose to go that route.

I agree that Maverick is a pretty easy matchup, that was just a video that had a full match, so I figured that would be the best one for anyone who was confused on the mechanics of the deck. I've seen the deck dismantle RUG too, since they're pretty uniquely setup to be completely bogged down with an Elephant Grass in play, and most of their counterspells don't even exist anymore if you can get a Carpet of Flowers down.

Tap 2, Standstill. Good?
    Jul 2010
    Somewhere in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by benthetenor View Post
    Brainstorm is pretty much completely unnecessary since you have the extreme redundancy of playing with 12 or 13 virtual Enchantresses, and once you get a few of those down, every card you play will draw you 2-4 cards, making Brainstorm pretty poor. The only times it would be even remotely useful would be in the early game, but you can't afford to spend mana doing nothing, when you'd rather be casting accelerants or Enchantresses.
    OK, but the thing is that you play 20 lands and on average you'll see 2 lands per opening hand. Of course if the deck doesn't miss landrops in the first 3 turns, if nobody counters your stuff, if nobody is playing discard, if you always see a GSZ/ Enchantress/ Presence by turn 3, if nobody tries to attack your manabase through Stifle / Wasteland, Brainstorm is poor. In every other case (which will occur 95% of the times, because you are not goldfishing and those things described above WILL happen very often), Brainstorm helps you in every possible scenario.

I personally agree with you on Force of Will, and in my own list I've just got a full set of Mindbreak Traps between sideboard and main since fast combo is probably your worst matchup and Mindbreak Trap is a pretty easy add. It's also what Cuneo was running with, and I don't see a huge reason to diverge from that. Maybe Chrandersen can give us his thoughts as to why he chose to go that route.
    Yeah Trap makes more sense even though is not really the best choice versus Show and Tell. Flusterstorm?

Site Contributor
    Apr 2011
    Orlando, FL

Quote Originally Posted by kiblast View Post
    OK, but the thing is that you play 20 lands and on average you'll see 2 lands per opening hand. Of course if the deck doesn't miss landrops in the first 3 turns, if nobody counters your stuff, if nobody is playing discard, if you always see a GSZ/ Enchantress/ Presence by turn 3, if nobody tries to attack your manabase through Stifle / Wasteland, Brainstorm is poor. In every other case (which will occur 95% of the times, because you are not goldfishing and those things described above WILL happen very often), Brainstorm helps you in every possible scenario.
    If it is card selection you are looking for Mirri's Guile > Brainstorm in enchantress. It is of my opinion that the deck would be overall more resilient / consistent with the addition of 3-4.

Brainstorm in the early turns promote poor land management, or fetching into fragile non-basics. Basic land is what this deck wants and lots of it. You should not drop multiple growth effects on a non-basic due to the Wasteland factor.

Guile only gets better in the later game because of the decks ability to drop multiple enchantress effects, whereas Brainstom expires far-far too soon.

Tap 2, Standstill. Good?
    Jul 2010
    Somewhere in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Freggle View Post
    If it is card selection you are looking for Mirri's Guile > Brainstorm in enchantress. .
    Yeah! If you don't want to play BS at least Mirri's Guile provides some manipulation, gives you hints on the timing of your fetchlands... and it's an enchantment. Sylvan Library could be nice as well but it costs 2.

Creature - Elf Wizard
    Aug 2011
    Campinas, SP, Brazil

This seems to be an interesting Enchantress variant.

I would pretty much appreciate if a Primer could be written on the beggining of this Thread, so that I could understand better how to design/play this version. :)

(I did watch the video on the link, but I still think that a Primer would be very instructive).

After goldfishing, I think we do want Mirri's Guile. Not sure how many, I'm thinking 2.

edit: reasoning is I end up setting up totally nothing a lot of times, from hands that seem to be totally broken.
    And with 7 fetch, it almost feels they were originally in the deck.

I mean, you guys can play whatever cards you want. I've been playing the deck a lot and haven't experienced any consistency issues at all. I've also been thinking about your ideas for a few days, and I'm not sure it makes sense to me. If it didn't cost anything to add in Brainstorm or Mirri's Guile, then that would be fine, but I can't really see either of those cards as being better than any of the cards that are currently in the list. What would you cut? If you're hands are ranging from broken to not so broken, just mulligan the not so broken hands. It doesn't make any sense to me to dilute the powerful spells in the deck with cards that don't do anything that you need to do (at least not in my experience) and/or are dead draws when you're going off.

For reference, an average opening hand would contain 3-4 lands/accelerants, 2 Enchantress effects and 1 or 2 other Enchantments. That's just going off of a pretty basic statistical distribution given the number of cards of each type in the deck. When your goal is to 1. play Enchantresses and 2. play enchantments, I feel like Brainstorm is getting greedy since you're already practically guaranteed to see and Enchantress effect in your opening hand (especially since you should pretty much snap-mulligan any hand without one), and statistically speaking, are very likely to see another one within just a few draw steps. There seems to be very little reason to dilute the deck with non-enchantments, particularly when those non-enchantments are blue spells that you want to cast early in the game in a deck that is predominantly green. That's a bad idea for all of the reasons that Freggle brings up. Also, if you're playing against a deck that's trying to get value out of Wasteland and Stifle, you're winning by a lot.

As for Mirri's guile, I don't think it's going to do what you want it to do. Without an Enchantress down, it's card disadvantage and doesn't do anything to help you on the turn you cast it, and I can't really figure out what you'd take out. The most likely candidate for getting cut from the main deck would be Carpet of Flowers, but that's exactly the card you want in the matchup where you're looking for a Brainstorm-like effect (to find Enchantresses to grind out counterspells). Having Carpet of Flowers blanks Daze and Spell Pierce which means that you're looking at Force of Will and maybe Counterspell if it's a particularly counterspell-dense deck, but in either case, expecting them to have more than 2 of those spells in any given hand is pretty unreasonable, at which point simply going through enough draw steps to be able to cast two or three Enchantresses on one big turn is going to win you that game, particularly if you've got Carpet of Flowers in play to help you. To me, it just seems like you're wanting to trade a powerful enchantment like Carpet of Flowers for a weak one. Pretty much any other enchantment you'd want to cut would be counter productive since you'd just be cutting important cards for cards that give you the chance to draw important cards, which seems like an even better way to lose to counterspells.

But this is all speculation on my part; what would you cut?

benthetenor is right. brainstorm and mirri's guile are not needed. The deck is consistent enough already, and the main is very tight. The only cards you can realistically cut are the living wish, the carpets, the seal of primordium, and one of the elephant grasses, maaaaybe two. I think the utility on all those cards is just better than added card selection. you draw so many cards anyway, that card selection is usually the least of your worries.

If I build up the motivation I might write an article on starcity about the deck. I hate writing though, so it may be a while : (

Things i'm considering are In the eye of Chaos over force of will, and garruk wildspeaker over living wish. I'm pretty sure ItEoC is better than force, but i have no idea on the garruk.

I mean, you guys can play whatever cards you want. I've been playing the deck a lot and haven't experienced any consistency issues at all. I've also been thinking about your ideas for a few days, and I'm not sure it makes sense to me. If it didn't cost anything to add in Brainstorm or Mirri's Guile, then that would be fine, but I can't really see either of those cards as being better than any of the cards that are currently in the list. What would you cut? If you're hands are ranging from broken to not so broken, just mulligan the not so broken hands. It doesn't make any sense to me to dilute the powerful spells in the deck with cards that don't do anything that you need to do (at least not in my experience) and/or are dead draws when you're going off.

For reference, an average opening hand would contain 3-4 lands/accelerants, 2 Enchantress effects and 1 or 2 other Enchantments. That's just going off of a pretty basic statistical distribution given the number of cards of each type in the deck. When your goal is to 1. play Enchantresses and 2. play enchantments, I feel like Brainstorm is getting greedy since you're already practically guaranteed to see and Enchantress effect in your opening hand (especially since you should pretty much snap-mulligan any hand without one), and statistically speaking, are very likely to see another one within just a few draw steps. There seems to be very little reason to dilute the deck with non-enchantments, particularly when those non-enchantments are blue spells that you want to cast early in the game in a deck that is predominantly green. That's a bad idea for all of the reasons that Freggle brings up.

As for Mirri's guile, I don't think it's going to do what you want it to do. Without an Enchantress down, it's card disadvantage and doesn't do anything to help you on the turn you cast it, and I can't really figure out what you'd take out. The most likely candidate for getting cut from the main deck would be Carpet of Flowers, but that's exactly the card you want in the matchup where you're looking for a Brainstorm-like effect (to find Enchantresses to grind out counterspells). Having Carpet of Flowers blanks Daze and Spell Pierce which means that you're looking at Force of Will and maybe Counterspell if it's a particularly counterspell-dense deck, but in either case, expecting them to have more than 2 of those spells in any given hand is pretty unreasonable, at which point simply going through enough draw steps to be able to cast two or three Enchantresses on one big turn is going to win you that game, particularly if you've got Carpet of Flowers in play to help you. To me, it just seems like you're wanting to trade a powerful enchantment like Carpet of Flowers for a weak one. Pretty much any other enchantment you'd want to cut would be counter productive since you'd just be cutting important cards for cards that give you the chance to draw important cards, which seems like an even better way to lose to counterspells.

But this is all speculation on my part; what would you cut?
    Carpet of Flowers was where I'd fit in the 2 Mirri's Guile.
    Now played a couple games today and didn't encounter any trouble(with the original list). But I have opened with hands consisting of:

tropical island, forest, fetch, Arg.Enchantress, wild growth, cloud of faeries, Enchantress Press.

To me that seems like a hand that you keep, but the problem lays when you don't draw any enchantments. And thats what happened to me with this hand. I drew another cloud of faeries, an eternal witness and a couple of lands. Normally with so many enchantments this should barely occur, but it just seems to happen from time to time. Or sometimes just not having a real sink to put our 7+ mana into can often be a bummer.
    I think in the matchups where CoF is good, its is really good. Otherwise it could have better been a card setting up your combo.
    I need to test it still though, and I'm probably underestimating the amount of blue decks we are supposed to encouter.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrandersen View Post
    benthetenor is right. brainstorm and mirri's guile are not needed. The deck is consistent enough already, and the main is very tight. The only cards you can realistically cut are the living wish, the carpets, the seal of primordium, and one of the elephant grasses, maaaaybe two. I think the utility on all those cards is just better than added card selection. you draw so many cards anyway, that card selection is usually the least of your worries.

If I build up the motivation I might write an article on starcity about the deck. I hate writing though, so it may be a while : (

Things i'm considering are In the eye of Chaos over force of will, and garruk wildspeaker over living wish. I'm pretty sure ItEoC is better than force, but i have no idea on the garruk.
    Agree 100% on In the Eye of Chaos. That card is ridiculous, and this deck is probably better set up to get it down when it matters against combo than any other deck that's ever played it before. Garruk is definitely interesting, since it's pretty much invincible once you have control of the game and is useful mid-combo. It definitely has more utility than a main deck Mindbreak Trap.

it's not entirely intuitive, but garruk makes infinite beast tokens when you go off.

-1 garruk, make a beast, bounce garruk with WoW, recast, -1 etc etc.

Nov 2012
    Buenos Aires, Argentina

If u replace Living Wish with Garruk Wildspeaker, dont u have to change your sideboard to adapt to the lack of the wish ?

The deck is awesome, i will be playing this next weekend in a big tournament we got near my city =)

Site Contributor
    Apr 2011
    Orlando, FL

What would you cut?
    I'd have to ask some questions first:

What is the second copy of Eternal Witness for? ...in case 1 is countered / dealt with?

With all of this built in ramp could you shave a land? ...Mirri's Guile should find it's replacement.

What stops you from combo-ing early so much so that Elephant Grass is needed?

After having those questions answered I feel I could recommend better cuts. I know I wouldn't cut Seal because I wouldn't want to roll over to a Pithing Needle.

@In the Eye of Chaos - What are you looking to stop? Most combo decks run at sorcery speed so this will not affect them too much. ...if it's control your likely better with the on color City of Solitude.

@Garruk Wildspeaker - I can see why you would want the land untaps, but it's 4CMC and not an enchantment so I question if it's right. If I were in the market for an alt win condition I'd try Helix Pinnacle since you are looking to go infinite anyway., It This way you have 1 attacking win condition and one not. Additionally, it is a single enchantment with shroud even when you are not ready to go off.

One might end up generating infinite mana. Sending all permanents back to my enemies hand should be enough to win the game with faerie beat-down. I don't see any reason for garruk.
    After this being done, there are only 2 things which still bother me:

1) Terminus
    2) Burn with CMC = 1 that ends up killing you faster than your beatdown

The first one can be played around (keep 1 or 2 enchantress in your hand). The second one should only be a small enough fraction of decks and can be dealt with energy field in SB ( i hope).

Is pitching needle that common, that we need primordal seal? I also consider words of wilding/war in SB. I won't think of them as alternative winning condition, but rather a way to avoid meddling mage, needle, extractions, counters etc...

I have been playing a version of this deck since long time. Resetting the enemies board was not uncommon in round 4, but this is also in aggro-range. Of course everyone read the article http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/l...Isnt-Dead.html with the belcher-matchup example, which clearly demonstrates why elephant grass is important. Which cards would provide further speed to cut the grass?

Often I did not wait for an infinite mana combo, but just returned as many permanents to my opponents hand as possible. Especially under this aspect i wondered why nobodoy ever mentioned exploration? Speeds up and with words of wind one can drop infinitely lands per turn.

Quote Originally Posted by yell View Post
    One might end up generating infinite mana. Sending all permanents back to my enemies hand should be enough to win the game with faerie beat-down. I don't see any reason for garruk.
    After this being done, there are only 2 things which still bother me:

1) Terminus
    2) Burn with CMC = 1 that ends up killing you faster than your beatdown

The first one can be played around (keep 1 or 2 enchantress in your hand). The second one should only be a small enough fraction of decks and can be dealt with energy field in SB ( i hope).

Is pitching needle that common, that we need primordal seal? I also consider words of wilding/war in SB. I won't think of them as alternative winning condition, but rather a way to avoid meddling mage, needle, extractions, counters etc...

I have been playing a version of this deck since long time. Resetting the enemies board was not uncommon in round 4, but this is also in aggro-range. Of course everyone read the article http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/l...Isnt-Dead.html with the belcher-matchup example, which clearly demonstrates why elephant grass is important. Which cards would provide further speed to cut the grass?

Often I did not wait for an infinite mana combo, but just returned as many permanents to my opponents hand as possible. Especially under this aspect i wondered why nobodoy ever mentioned exploration? Speeds up and with words of wind one can drop infinitely lands per turn.
    All good points. I like Chill out of the sideboard (and to a lesser extent, In the Eye of Chaos) to deal with burn, though it is such a small part of the metagame that you could probably safely just say "I lose to burn" if you need the sideboard space and shore up other matchups. It does seem like just having access to Chill and In the Eye of Chaos would help slow them down by a pretty wide margin. I've also tried Exploration in the Carpet of Flowers spot, since both do more or less the same thing, but I found the explosiveness of Carpet of Flowers to be more useful than the (generally) slower, incremental advantage of Exploration. It is nice to be able to play all of your lands once you're going off, but it's not really something that needs to happen. As for Seal of Primordium, I like having outs. It's probably unnecessary since there really aren't all that many cards that people maindeck that need to be addressed with Seal of Primordium, but you never know what you're going to see in Legacy. It is definitely a card that you need somewhere in your 75, but if you feel it's not pulling it's weight game one then it is definitely a candidate for getting moved to the sideboard exclusively. Either way, you should have access to at least two, probably at least three (game one or post-sideboard) because it's likely that if you're going to need it, you're going to need it before you can start comboing off, so only having one is kind of random.

Quote Originally Posted by Freggle
    What is the second copy of Eternal Witness for? ...in case 1 is countered / dealt with?
    Mostly it's so that you can burn one early for value and not have to worry about it getting killed in case you need to get something back later. It also turns GSZ into a Regrowth effect if you've already used a Witness, which is practically the same thing.

With all of this built in ramp could you shave a land? ...Mirri's Guile should find it's replacement.
    The land count is a little flexible, as I've played with -1 Dryad Arbor, +1 Seal of Primordium (same list as Cuneo, at one point) quite a bit and didn't feel badly about it. I do like the added utility of Dryad Arbor though, so it's in there almost strictly to add utility to GSZ, but there's no reason why you couldn't cut a Forest or a green Fetchland. That being said, mana stability is really outstanding in this deck, and is one of it's strong points, which comes almost directly from playing with so many basic lands. If you're looking at it in terms of 20th land vs. Mirri's Guile, the 20th land still does way more to affect the board the turn you draw it, and usually the following turns, unless you've already got several Enchantresses down, in which case it's pretty much irrelevant because you're already winning.

What stops you from combo-ing early so much so that Elephant Grass is needed?
    Try to think of it this way: Elephant Grass is often a green Ancestral Recall that also stops creatures from being an issue. Something like Mirri's Guile in the same situation is often an Ancestral Recall that...does nothing. Early game, Elephant Grass buys you an incredible amount of time, whereas Mirri's Guile doesn't affect the board or draw you any cards. In this deck, if it's not affecting the board, it's pretty much unplayable. Card selection is completely unnecessary in a deck that is in danger of drawing every single card in the deck by turn 4.

@In the Eye of Chaos - What are you looking to stop? Most combo decks run at sorcery speed so this will not affect them too much. ...if it's control your likely better with the on color City of Solitude.
    It has splash damage against control decks and against Burn, but mostly it's in there to fight any sort of ritual-based combo, which is most of them. It slows them down in the same way that Elephant Grass slows down aggro, which in this deck is enough to just straight up beat them. It also doesn't affect you at all, meaning that it's like playing with a super Thalia that only hurts the opponent. The biggest hole in the sideboard, which is not unsubstantial, is against Show and Tell decks. Oblivion Ring is probably one of the best answers which also has utility against everything else, but it's probably not the best game plan is to just have Oblivion Ring in your hand when they go for Show and Tell. I haven't tested enough yet though, maybe it's fine.

@Garruk Wildspeaker - I can see why you would want the land untaps, but it's 4CMC and not an enchantment so I question if it's right. If I were in the market for an alt win condition I'd try Helix Pinnacle since you are looking to go infinite anyway., It This way you have 1 attacking win condition and one not. Additionally, it is a single enchantment with shroud even when you are not ready to go off.
    Not a bad point and I usually don't run a dedicated win condition, simply because it's not needed. I'd guess that the reason why Chris Andersen does is based on the constraints of a tournament environment, which means it cuts down on the amount of time it takes to win if a stubborn opponent will not concede, which could conceivably bone you if you went to turns. If that is your reasoning for having an alternate win condition, then it would probably be a mistake to use something that can't also be used to further your gameplan and advance your combo, which Garruk and/or Living Wish can do. Something like Helix Pinnacle can only be used to win the game, or to draw cards in concert with Enchantresses, but if you're already drawing cards with Enchantresses, you're not losing. As I said though, if you're unconcerned with that, it's absolutely fine to just play something else in that spot.

The Illusionist
    Apr 2012
    Netherlands

I've been playing around with a list on MTGO, and it plays really well. I've splashed black for 3 Abrupt Decay in the sideboard, mainly because i allready had a Bayou and had exactly enough tix to make the deck w/o white :)

My list atm:
    1 Bayou
    2 Tropical Island
    2 Island
    7 Forest
    4 Misty Rainforest
    3 Verdant Catacombs

2 Carpet of Flowers
    4 Elephant Grass
    4 Seal of Removal
    4 Utopia Sprawl
    4 Wild Growth
    1 Seal of Primordium
    4 Argothian Enchantress
    4 Cloud of Faeries
    4 Enchantress's Presence
    2 Words of Wind
    2 Eternal Witness
    2 Mindbreak Trap
    4 Green Sun's Zenith

Sideboard:
    3 Chill
    4 Spell Pierce
    2 Compost
    1 Seal of Primordium
    2 Carpet of Flowers
    3 Abrupt Decay

My sideboard isn't very good, i wanted something to battle Combo better, but Spell Pierce just isn't very good in this deck, In the Eye of Chaos is worth a try.
    I haven't found myself wanting a solid killcon other then when i was bored of clicking Words of Wind and Cloud of Faeries 100 times a turn, because an opponent wouldn't concede ;) Didn't have any issues with winning in time tho.

Mirri's Guile might be a nice addition, but i also think it isn't really needed, Exploration doesn't do enough either.
    I've been very very happy with the 1 Seal of Primordium mainboard and i probably want another one in the side, replacing Abrupt Decay. Also wondering if there are any Enchantments worth playing in Black, or if i should really get a Savannah and the white stuff :)

Thread Information