Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] U/G Enchantress

Site Contributor
    Apr 2011
    Orlando, FL

Re: U/G Enchantress

Quote Originally Posted by Rampart View Post
    It actually wants Mana Maze or In the Eye of Chaos, Teeg is also good here. While cards like Sphere of Resistance are powerful in the right shell, this is not the shell. With Sphere in play you would basically have to destroy it before you could go off which means your still running cards like Seal of Primordium after board which is pretty bad against storm, it also slows your development which means that you can't catch up to there speed. Its not like you playing classic enchantress with an extreme top end and bomb after bomb utilizing Serra's Sanctum to provide you mana.

The real issue as I see it is that U/G Enchantress is too slow. A turn 4/5 deck on average is not just going to race a turn 3 deck on average. So we either get faster or make them go slower. Getting faster isn't really an option unless earthcraft gets unbanned, you get the nut Cloudstone Curio hand or you start running leyline or something like that. Due to the lack of white cards Mana Maze and ItEoC are you best options on color. I don't know what else you really do given the card pool. Also to be fair I am not sure that all combo is bad, I think that Elves and Storm are pretty bad, But I would prefer playing against SnS, Reaniamtor or Infect over the other too any day.

Root Maze and B2B is cute and I can see that working in a super fair metagame, the issue would be is that it takes up to many slots. you would have to run like 2 Root Mazes and 3 B2B's to properly slot the cards and I am not sure that is better then anything else.
    I've tested In the Eye of Chaos and Mana Maze,and they are both less than stellar. I've played this deck and I'm aware how it works. I have always played more land in the deck 21 - 22 cutting a card like Carpet of Flowers for a Serra's Sanctum. With most of the cards in the Straight UG version of the deck costing or plus a colored mana there is always something to sink the mana into. It also makes combing a lot easier. Hitting 7 mana on 2 lands if one is a Sanctum is not hard. It's actually trivial. Even the straight UG version of the deck can power through a Sphere of Resistance far easier than most combo decks can. Even hitting a combo deck for 2 every turn with one sphere out would likely do the trick.

The thing is Sphere of Resistance is a lot more reliable to cast, a lot more reliable to actually affect the game, and "protects iteself" better because combo decks now have to hit to Decay it or to Rec Sage it. It also slows down cantrips to find those lands or cards. Will it slow you down a lot too? Yes, but not as much

Not playing Sanctum in the UGw version just seems wrong.

What do you guys think about running a 1 of Riftsweeper for protection against surgical and stuff like that on your cof. Ignore this I'm creating issues that don't exist when we're too busy trying to go off anyways.
    Last edited by Cyborg; 06-25-2016 at 03:41 AM.

Freggle do u have a decklist u would share?
    Start land.... turn... iam near to win.

Sep 2015
    Canada

I will attempt to build this deck. I'll be getting the cards I'm missing shortly (mostly enchantress stuff).

How do you feel about Garruk? It can provide a midrange win condition if ever our combo is nulled somehow while still being able to allow us to combo off (though less easily than Cloud of Faeries).

I understand that preboard, there is no great solution to Combo. However, postboard, how has Sphere of Resistance been? I feel like In the Eye of Chaos is not mean enough. I like Mindbreak Traps as well as Tormod's Crypt. Against S&T, Seal of removal is great.

I feel like Doomwake Giant is a great addition to the deck, hosing Delver greatly while proving a "clock" that we otherwise cannot put unless we actually combo off.

How do you do against Rishadan Port? It looks like it can hinder us greatly doesn't it? Flickerwisp looks disruptive as well. How can this deck beat Death and Taxes?

I'll be back :)

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Turboninja View Post
    I will attempt to build this deck. I'll be getting the cards I'm missing shortly (mostly enchantress stuff).

How do you feel about Garruk? It can provide a midrange win condition if ever our combo is nulled somehow while still being able to allow us to combo off (though less easily than Cloud of Faeries).

I understand that preboard, there is no great solution to Combo. However, postboard, how has Sphere of Resistance been? I feel like In the Eye of Chaos is not mean enough. I like Mindbreak Traps as well as Tormod's Crypt. Against S&T, Seal of removal is great.

I feel like Doomwake Giant is a great addition to the deck, hosing Delver greatly while proving a "clock" that we otherwise cannot put unless we actually combo off.

How do you do against Rishadan Port? It looks like it can hinder us greatly doesn't it? Flickerwisp looks disruptive as well. How can this deck beat Death and Taxes?

Thanks!
    Preboard you have living wish for gaddock teeg or scavenging ooze to go up against combo. If you get a quick teeg (like say your on the play and untap on turn 3) ANT has a hard time beating it.

Quote Originally Posted by Turboninja View Post

Thanks!
    If u play black dread of night should be a good option against death and taxes. Well if u have cloud of faeris it should be lower the effect of the ports if u can regularly bounce them.

Anyways i want to pick up freggles idea. I will think about a list.

has anyone tried the new Oath of Jace?

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by sun tzu View Post
    has anyone tried the new Oath of Jace?
    Along similar lines, there's also Attunement.

Sep 2015
    Canada

Re: [Deck] U/G Enchantress

Both of these cost a lot of mana and only draw cards. I don't feel like that's what the deck needs.

The deck already has plenty of card draw and prefers to stockpile 1 mana enchantments to get its engine going.

However, in a version sporting Force of Will, it might be worthwhile.

Sep 2015
    Canada

I'm almost done building the deck. Can't wait!

Looking through my binder, I fell upon Sphinx's Tutelage and wondered if it was another one of those win more cards. It is good when I can draw plenty of cards before combo and will kill when I combo off. Another interesting thing about Sphinx's Tutelage is the fact that coupled with Compost, if both can be played early, it can kill a storm/dredge player from nowhere. I'll be trying out a couple of each as an alternate win con versus quick combo. You'll notice that this combo can be online easily on turn three, which can be enough in some cases. I'll report whenever I get some games in.

What are your thoughts?

I also find sphinx's tutelage interesting as a wincondition but i put the idea away because it does not help the deck against combo decks.

Sep 2015
    Canada

I guess you are right. They can combo through and won't lose until they draw. Oh well.

Sep 2015
    Canada

I've read through the thread and have not seen Brain Maggot mentionned. How good would that be against combo? If you get a couple of them, it can really hinder combo long enough to combo off. At the same time, they trigger our enchantress. The opponent will probably not have any removal postboard anyway.

i dont test brain maggot but it another Forum most of the People think that it dont have enough Impact. Storm for example will Play Hand disruption for B and sth what will maybe bounce brain maggot. If u want to Play Hand disruption i prefer thoughtseize because its cheaper and faster than brain maggot. Furthermore the Card will not come back to the game.

Thoughtseize/Duress/Inquision/etc. are all much, much better than Brain Maggot. They don't trigger enchantresses, but they can be rebought infinitely with Eternal Witness and they are easier to cast/faster. Though even on color, Piracy Charm will provide a similar effect once you are going off, and at instant speed you can use it to lock out their draw step every turn once you've gone infinite.

Sep 2015
    Canada

I'll try a bayou instead of the second Tropical island and add a couple Thoughtseizes in the sideboard.

Sep 2015
    Canada

Here's the list I tried last Wednesday at my legacy 3 rounder. I went 0-3 (0-6). I'll show you my decklist and observations.

Lands 18 (+2 for the Moxen):

4 Misty Rainforest
    2 Windswept Heath
    2 Tropical Island
    2 Island
    8 Forest
    2 Chrome Mox

Enchantresses 10:
    3 Argothian Enchantress
    4 Enchantresse's Presence
    2 Green Sun's Zenith
    1 Eidolon of Blossoms

Mana 11:
    4 Wild Growth
    4 Utopia Sprawl
    2 Abundant Growth
    1 Carpet of Flowers

Win 9:
    4 Cloud of Faeries
    2 Words of Wind
    2 Eternal Witness
    1 Mindbreak Trap

Control 10:
    4 Seal of Removal
    2 Seal of Primordium
    4 Elephant Grass

Sideboard 15:
    2 Doomwake Giant
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Dread of Night
    2 Krosan Grip
    1 Mindbreak Trap
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Compost
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Snap
    1 Spell Pierce

My matchups were atrocious, ending up against ANT, Elves and Burn. That explains part of the losses. My sideboard options were okay. I enjoyed the Crypts against ANT as well as the Traps. The Pierce was good against Burn.

Here are my observations:

1. Get more enchantresses. I had to mulligan often because I did not yet have my 13 enchantresses. I will get those.

2. Have fewer clunky enchantments (CMC > 1). I'm lookng at dropping the second Words of Wind and Seal of Primordium. The Abundant Growths will be dropped as well, they were merely replacement cards.

3. Get more 1 mana enchantments. Carpet of Flowers is a good target here.

4. No need for that second Tropical Island.

5. There is a few burn players in my area so I'll add a Chill.

My new list I'll be trying:

Lands 17 (+2 for the Moxen):

4 Misty Rainforest
    2 Windswept Heath
    1 Tropical Island
    2 Island
    8 Forest
    2 Chrome Mox

Enchantresses 13:
    4 Argothian Enchantress
    4 Enchantresse's Presence
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    1 Eidolon of Blossoms

Mana 11:
    4 Wild Growth
    4 Utopia Sprawl
    3 Carpet of Flowers

Win 8:
    4 Cloud of Faeries
    1 Words of Wind
    2 Eternal Witness
    1 Mindbreak Trap

Control 9:
    4 Seal of Removal
    1 Seal of Primordium
    4 Elephant Grass

Sideboard 15:
    2 Doomwake Giant
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Reclamation Sage
    2 Krosan Grip
    1 Mindbreak Trap
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Compost
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Spell Pierce
    1 Chill
    1 Seal of Primordium

I'll have better insight on the deck as I get to play it more. It is fun to play and comboing takes practice to do fast.

If ever you have advice for me, I'm all ears.

http://www.starcitygames.com/article...gacy-List.html

Atm i am testing the list of chris anderson to get some feeling for the deck.
    In the list he plays dryad arbor. In this thread i read about chrome mox vs. Arbor. I prefer arbor but will give chrome mox a chance. Indeed arbor eats every time a sword if i play it.
    My thoughts about chrome mox are that i have no way to tutor it and it is only good if u play it first turn to play an argothian. ( some decks like d&t are exceptions). Furthermore to remove a card is a disadvantage i dont want to have in this deck and i believe to reduce the land count is not the right way. But i will see.

Sep 2015
    Canada

Chrome is pretty good at many stages of the game. When you are going off, it's a land that you can use to get that extra mana you might need. Otherwise, in the first few turns it can allow you to play through soft counterspells.

I need to try Dryad myself, as Liliana has killed my Enchantress more than once. I think it is even better when you play the Curio, so I'll try one of those as well.

Sep 2015
    Canada

What do you guys think of Leovold, Emissary of Trest as a Sideboard card against Storm? If you have a couple Mindbreak Traps, it makes it very hard for them to kill you with Tendrils as you get to draw 10+ cards. It can be Zenithed or simply played on turn 3 with a Sprawl and some luck.

The card can double up as good tech against Sneak and Show and Elves which are two matchups that aren't easy at all.
    Last edited by Turboninja; 09-09-2016 at 01:38 PM.

Thread Information