Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] U/G Enchantress

Re: [Deck] U/G Enchantress

Against show and tell and storm too slow. Against elves it could be good.
    Disadvantage is that he is a creatures and legendary and need B.
    Start land.... turn... iam near to win.

Sep 2015
    Canada

Yeah, but he is a card I much rather see than most of my combo against a deck like storm or Show and Tell. I'll add one to the sideboard.

I got a few rounds with the deck and It is doing pretty well. The main issue I have is that my opponents do not have any fun. I'll have to work on that. That is one advantage to having a wincon. At least the kill is quick.

Does Paradoxical Outcome do anything good for this deck?
    Re: Eldritch Moon and Emrakul

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    You're right that the set symbol is a pretty big giveaway though, and it's not like anyone was expecting anything else after the last block. It's like they brought out Neil Pert and Alex Lifeson, then announced a "mysterious special guest" would be joining them. Well of course it's fucking Geddy Lee.

Sep 2015
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by .Ix View Post
    Does Paradoxical Outcome do anything good for this deck?
    I do not think it does. The only scenario in which it does something amazing is one where you have five mana generated by two lands, two Cloud of faeries and one Eternal witness. You bounce all three to generate infinite card draw and mana. Otherwise, it just feels like a dead draw, not something this deck needs. It does not draw cards better than an Enchantress, nor does it bounce better than Words of Wind or Cloudstone Curio.

Sep 2015
    Canada

Testing with Leovold has been conclusive. I managed to win a few games against Storm that would have been hard otherwise. The card draw limit is great.

Leovold is also very good against Death and Taxes to prevent Rishadan Port activations as well as being big enough to block Thalia.

I might put two.

Sep 2015
    Canada

Hi, I am looking for advice on my current list. First and foremost, here is the list:

Lands (18):
    4 Misty Rainforest
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Bayou
    1 Dryad Arbor
    7 Forest
    2 Island

Creatures (10):
    4 Argothian Enchantress
    4 Cloud of Faeries
    2 Eternal Witness

Spells (32):
    4 Wild Growth
    4 Utopia Sprawl
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Seal of Removal
    4 Elephant Grass
    4 Enchantress's Presence
    1 Words of Wind
    1 Cloudstone Curio
    2 Chrome Mox
    2 Carpet of Flowers
    1 Seal of Primordium
    1 Mindbreak Trap

SB:
    1 Mindbreak Trap
    2 Chill
    1 Seal of Primordium
    2 Abrupt Decay
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    2 Doomwake Giant
    1 Carpet of Flowers
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Leovold, Emissary of Trest
    1 Gaddock Teeg

My issues are as follows:

1) I feel like the deck has too many bad draws. Mindbreak Trap and Eternal Witness often break my combo chain. I am looking to reduce one or the other, but do not know what to replace it with.

2) I've been enjoying the creature plan post sideboard, but it makes the combo harder to attain. That is why I often board out the Moxen since I won't be trying to win quickly. Are there enchantments (hate cards) I should play that I forgot? I thought of Contamination against combo. What do you think?

Thank you!
    Last edited by Turboninja; 11-09-2016 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Turboninja View Post
    Hi, I am looking for advice on my current list. First and foremost, here is the list:

Lands (18):
    4 Misty Rainforest
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Bayou
    1 Dryad Arbor
    7 Forest
    2 Island

Creatures (10):
    4 Argothian Enchantress
    4 Cloud of Faeries
    2 Eternal Witness

Spells (32):
    4 Wild Growth
    4 Utopia Sprawl
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Seal of Removal
    4 Elephant Grass
    4 Enchantress's Presence
    1 Words of Wind
    1 Cloudstone Curio
    2 Chrome Mox
    2 Carpet of Flowers
    1 Seal of Primordium
    1 Mindbreak Trap

SB:
    1 Mindbreak Trap
    2 Chill
    1 Seal of Primordium
    2 Abrupt Decay
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    2 Doomwake Giant
    1 Carpet of Flowers
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Gaddock Teeg

My issues are as follows:

1) I feel like the deck has too many bad draws. Mindbreak Trap and Eternal Witness often break my combo chain. I am looking to reduce one or the other, but do not know what to replace it with.

2) I've been enjoying the creature plan post sideboard, but it makes the combo harder to attain. That is why I often board out the Moxen since I won't be trying to win quickly. Are there enchantments (hate cards) I should play that I forgot? I thought of Contamination against combo. What do you think?

Thank you!
    This is a response to your first comment. I've been testing out Root Maze and cutting Mindbreak Trap entirely. I don't get to play-test frequently, so this might just be really janky.

The idea is that after combo-ing out with Word of Wind and bouncing all of the opponent's permanents back to hand, you can pass the turn and allow Root Maze to work instead of using a recurring Mindbreak Trap to lock. Their 1st land will come into play tapped, and you can just bounce it on your turn and continue beating down with Eternal Witness/Cloud of Faeries. Root Maze should work on Lands, Moxes, Lotus Petals but not ESG/SSG/LED unfortunately. Not sure if this was already tested or posted in the past, so sorry if this is old but I didn't see it mentioned.

I really like two Eternal Witness due to being able to combo with Cloudstone Curio + Cloud of Faeries + Seal of Removal + Eternal Witness.

My Decklist
    Maindeck:

4 Argothian Enchantress
    4 Enchantress's Presence
    4 Green Sun's Zenith

4 Cloud of Faeries
    2 Eternal Witness

4 Utopia Sprawl
    4 Wild Growth

2 Cloudstone Curio
    1 Words of Wind

4 Root Maze
    4 Elephant Grass
    3 Seal of Removal
    1 Seal of Primordium

1 Dryad Arbor
    4 Tropical Island
    8 Forest
    6 Island

(No fetchlands due to anti-synergy with Root Maze)

Surprised to see such a recent post for this deck, but it's one of my favorite decks! Hope someone out there is still developing/playing it.

Sep 2015
    Canada

Root Maze is certainly interesting as a replacement. It is not a bad play on your second or third turn. Probably harder for opponents to play through than ourselves.

Did you get games in with your list? How did it go?

Here is my updated list:

Lands (18):
    4 Misty Rainforest
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Bayou
    1 Dryad Arbor
    7 Forest
    2 Island

Creatures (10):
    4 Argothian Enchantress
    4 Cloud of Faeries
    1 Eternal Witness
    1 Eidolon of Blossoms

Spells (32):
    4 Wild Growth
    4 Utopia Sprawl
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Seal of Removal
    4 Elephant Grass
    4 Enchantress's Presence
    1 Words of Wind
    1 Cloudstone Curio
    2 Chrome Mox
    1 Carpet of Flowers
    1 Lignify
    1 Seal of Primordium
    1 Mindbreak Trap

SB:
    1 Mindbreak Trap
    2 Chill
    1 Seal of Primordium
    2 Contamination
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Lignify
    2 Doomwake Giant
    2 Carpet of Flowers
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Gaddock Teeg

Edit: I just want to point out that my list has been doing great. I moved a Carpet of Flowers to the sideboard because my meta is not as blue anymore. I am currently considering 1 Mirri's Guile and 1 Exploration. I'll keep you posted on results.

Sep 2015
    Canada

I'm still working on the numbers of my list. Here is what brought me to second place of a small tournament (9 people):

Lands (18):
    4 Misty Rainforest
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Bayou
    1 Dryad Arbor
    8 Forest
    1 Island

Creatures (9):
    4 Argothian Enchantress
    4 Cloud of Faeries
    1 Eternal Witness

Spells (33):
    4 Wild Growth
    4 Utopia Sprawl
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Seal of Removal
    4 Elephant Grass
    4 Enchantress's Presence
    1 Words of Wind
    1 Cloudstone Curio
    1 Chrome Mox
    1 Carpet of Flowers
    1 Lignify
    1 Seal of Primordium
    2 Root Maze
    1 Mirri's Guile

SB:
    2 Mindbreak Trap
    2 Chill
    1 Seal of Primordium
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Lignify
    2 Doomwake Giant
    2 Carpet of Flowers
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Gaddock Teeg

R1, I lost 1-2 against Eldrazi. Games were close, but I find it hard to play against many Chalices and Thorns. I am thinking about maybe playing Energy Flux. Maybe Vezing Shusher could be worth it? Sometimes I only need to resolve an Elephant Grass to survive and then win.

R2, I win 2-0 against burn. I play tightly and anticipate plays well. In that second game, I draw both Chills which makes it easy actually. Root Maze has been great here. It is much better than Mindbreak Trap to close them out when I combo.

R3, I win 2-0 against Esper Stoneblade. That deck has no clock and is easy for our deck to beat. Nothing much to say.

R4, I win 2-0 against Nic Fit. Root maze has been wonderful here. Their Veteran Explorer helps us more than them when the Maze is on the battlefield.

Top 4, I win 2-1 against the same Eldrazi. Games were close yet again. Elephant Grass and Seal of Removal are great in this matchup when there's no chalice.

Finals, I lose 1-2 against Food Chain. His combo is slightly faster than ours, and hard to interact with. I don't think the matchup's worth hedging on. Feels 60-40 in their favour.

Overall, I love Root Maze. I currently run two and have been liking it. I practiced against storm and it does help. The matchup is nonetheless incredibly bad. I'll keep working on numbers.

Till next time

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

Just in case you were unaware; the interaction of root maze and winter orb are pretty entertaining.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Sep 2015
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by tescrin View Post
    Just in case you were unaware; the interaction of root maze and winter orb are pretty entertaining.
    Oh but I am! Root maze is deceptively powerful. I've had it Force of Willed twice on turn one in that last tournament. It is backbreaking.

Winter Orb is interesting because my lands are obviously better than their's because of Wild growth effects. However, WInter Orb is another non-enchantment card. I do not think this deck can manage it. It does not make our bad matchups all that better.

What is especially strong with Root maze is Words of Wind. Even when I'm not comboing, Words of Wind is so great with it because it puts my opponent that far behind while I can bounce my root maze and keep going. I might put a second back in. I don't what to take out though. The Curio makes for some quick comboing. I want to keep that.

I'll have to think about it!

Sep 2015
    Canada

My list is changing from one day to the next. Here is my latest iteration:

Lands (18):
    4 Misty Rainforest
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Bayou
    1 Dryad Arbor
    8 Forest
    1 Island

Creatures (9):
    4 Argothian Enchantress
    4 Cloud of Faeries
    1 Eternal Witness

Spells (33):
    4 Wild Growth
    4 Utopia Sprawl
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Seal of Removal
    4 Elephant Grass
    4 Enchantress's Presence
    2 Words of Wind
    1 Chrome Mox
    2 Carpet of Flowers
    1 Seal of Primordium
    2 Root Maze
    1 Mirri's Guile

SB:
    4 Leyline of Sanctity
    1 Seal of Primordium
    1 Reclamation Sage
    2 Lignify
    2 Doomwake Giant
    1 Carpet of Flowers
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Back to Basics
    1 Root Maze
    1 Vexing Shusher

Major changes are going back to two Words of Wind instead of the Curio. I feel that with Root Maze, it is better to have more ways to maintain the lead, by bouncing lands every turn. I can bounce my own root maze and play my lands untapped.

Also, a second Words of Wind is security against Miracles that otherwise could counter me out of the game (if they counter WoW and EW).

Now, I've been working the numbers for my sideboard and decided that Leyline of Sanctity had to come in instead of the Chills and Mindbreak Traps. I couldn't win against storm with only traps so I resorted to the Leylines. They are backed up by Gaddock Teeg and Root Maze / Back to Basics. I'm hoping it's enough.

Vexing Shusher will come in against Miracles and Eldrazi. Oftentimes, Eldrazi will have me by the balls with Chalice and I only need Elephant Grass to resolve.

Cards I am thinking about include Parallax Nexus, Titania's Song, Mystic Remora and Song of the Dryads.

I'm registered for Grand Prix Louisville. If anyone had any insight on my list, I'd be most grateful!
    Last edited by Turboninja; 12-16-2016 at 02:05 PM.

My list is changing from one day to the next. Here is my latest iteration:

Lands (18):
    4 Misty Rainforest
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Bayou
    1 Dryad Arbor
    8 Forest
    1 Island

Creatures (9):
    4 Argothian Enchantress
    4 Cloud of Faeries
    1 Eternal Witness

Spells (33):
    4 Wild Growth
    4 Utopia Sprawl
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Seal of Removal
    4 Elephant Grass
    4 Enchantress's Presence
    2 Words of Wind
    1 Chrome Mox
    2 Carpet of Flowers
    1 Seal of Primordium
    2 Root Maze
    1 Mirri's Guile

SB:
    4 Leyline of Sanctity
    1 Seal of Primordium
    1 Reclamation Sage
    2 Lignify
    2 Doomwake Giant
    1 Carpet of Flowers
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Back to Basics
    1 Root Maze
    1 Vexing Shusher

Major changes are going back to two Words of Wind instead of the Curio. I feel that with Root Maze, it is better to have more ways to maintain the lead, by bouncing lands every turn. I can bounce my own root maze and play my lands untapped.

Also, a second Words of Wind is security against Miracles that otherwise could counter me out of the game (if they counter WoW and EW).

Now, I've been working the numbers for my sideboard and decided that Leyline of Sanctity had to come in instead of the Chills and Mindbreak Traps. I couldn't win against storm with only traps so I resorted to the Leylines. They are backed up by Gaddock Teeg and Root Maze / Back to Basics. I'm hoping it's enough.

Vexing Shusher will come in against Miracles and Eldrazi. Oftentimes, Eldrazi will have me by the balls with Chalice and I only need Elephant Grass to resolve.

Cards I am think about include Parallax Nexus, Titania's Song, Mystic Remora and Song of the Dryads.

I'm registered for Grand Prix Louisville. If anyone had any insight on my list, I'd be most grateful!
    Hey man,

I played this list at GP Columbus a few months back, so I may have the most recent large tournament experience. Here are some thoughts:

Against Eldrazi, the only card I found that had any sort of effect was Energy Field. I also usually backed it up with Back to Basics, which was pretty good too, but Energy Field was a card that they could not beat at the time. I have no idea how their lists have evolved since then, but they had no targeted removal and so they just sat there and couldn't win. But Back to Basics + Elephant Grass had a similar effect.

Against Miracles, the best thing you can have is a second Eternal Witness in addition to a second Words of Wind, in addition to the normal anti-enchantment stuff. When you get to the point where you have already won the game, they have to have four hard counterspells to beat you (one for each Words of Wind and Eternal Witness), and that's just not something that they are equipped to do. Once you stick an enchantress they are in trouble, and once you get a second one down they have lost, it will just take a while. I don't think you need anything else specifically for them, though I have played with both In the Eye of Chaos and City of Solitude, and both are bombs against them.

I have found Leyline of Sanctity to be pretty effective against Storm, but I've found the best chance you have to win a tournament is to just ignore combo, Storm in particular, and do the best you can. You can side in a dozen cards and will still likely only go 50/50 at best because you practically can't win the first game. I have found that GSZ -> Gaddock Teeg is a workable plan that gets you a turn 2 Teeg about sixty or seventy percent of the time, so if you are fast from that point on you have a shot to beat them, but it is a tall order because they will bring in Abrupt Decay, likely in large numbers. It is for that reason that I like Leyline, and it is nice that it also shuts off their discard, but again, if it's not in your opener it gets really dicey. It's also (obv) great against Burn and Jund, so it could be worth it, but those decks have plummeted in popularity over the last few years. I do like Leovold as a GSZ target, but it would probably be an either/or with him and Gaddock Teeg. Leovold is nice because you can still run Mindbreak Trap, but it doesn't do much against Storm's winning turn, just against their setup. It's great against Sneak and Show and probably pretty good against Miracles, but Teeg is just a turn faster and is actually something Storm needs to deal with to win.

I do think that you can't cut the Krosan Grip from the sideboard, and that if you want to play Back to Basics, you probably need at least two, probably three, to see it consistently. You will draw it a lot no matter what if your deck is functioning, but it's likely that you'll draw it too late to be more than a win-more card unless it's played in larger numbers. Your land count also feels kind of low; I would never feel comfortable playing with less than 20 mana sources, and when I had Dryad Arbor in the deck it was often the 21st land. I don't think you need both Dryad Arbor and Chrome Mox, I'd just go one way or the other, but either way I'd probably play 20-21 sources rather than the 19 that you have.

I also think that if you want Root Maze, it's probably best out of the sideboard because there are a fair number of matchups where it does nothing important, and it's as likely to slow you down as the opponent unless it's a silver bullet. And I've said plenty about Mirri's Guile in the past, so there's no need to go over that.

I wish you luck. If I were playing this deck in a large tournament, I'd go -1 Chrome Mox, -1 Mirri's Guile, -1-2 Root Maze, +2 land, +1 Eternal Witness, (+1 Mindbreak Trap,) then fill out the sideboard from there, but I've given up on this deck as a viable choice for the format. It's a hell of a lot of fun but it preyed on Delver strategies and Lands along with creature strategies like Death and Taxes and Maverick, and was favored against Miracles, but the metagame is very different now. A lot of the extra Delver decks have been taken over by Eldrazi and Infect and Shardless BUG, all of which are beatable but are much less favorable, and Maverick is dead, and now you'll likely only see Lands and/or Death and Taxes once or twice in 15 rounds. If you hit the right matchups you can spike it, but then that is also why I'd make the deck nigh-unbeatable against the right matchups and just hope for some paring luck. With this kind of deck it's likely best to be 70/30 and 10/90 rather than 60/40 and 30/70.

Sep 2015
    Canada

Thank you Benthetenor for your comments.

I will look into adding a second Back to Basics most probably and will try to fit in Energy Fields as well.

I enjoy Root Maze a lot these days and feel like it gives us the extra turns we need to win the game. It also replaces Mindbreak Trap to lock the opponent out for good after combo.

I will remove the Shusher and maybe a SB carpet to make room. I'll be thinking about the Doomwakes. They feel great against D&T and Grixis Delver. Maybe they're not worth it, as those are already good matchups.

Do you have experience against RB reanimator? I have 2 x Lignify for that matchup, plus the normal Elehant Grass and Seal of Removal. I do not think that I can remove the graveyard in time for their shenanigans, so I decided not to try. How do you view the mathchup?

Thanks!

Yeah, and Root Maze is good for that reason, so if you wanted to play it I'd probably play one main and 1-2 in the sideboard depending on how many you want total. I admit I haven't ever tested them but that's mostly because I didn't see any matchups where I needed them, but if you like what they do then more power to you.

For a long time I didn't play with Lignify because it looked dumb (which is terrible, but I think I've grown up a bit since then...), but I had one in the board at the last GP and it was fire. I don't know that I'd play two, if anything this deck taught me a lot about how much having one copy matters more than zero, but Reanimator never gave me much trouble. Granted, I haven't played this guy since June, so your testing is probably better than mine, but I think I'd go back and do a 1/1 split between Lignify and Tormod's Crypt which is a card that seriously over-performed for me. It's tough to get a good feel for just how good cards are as one-ofs, but it gives you a wide range of cards to bring in against a lot of decks and it's super powerful when you draw it. But usually against Reanimator I'd be bringing in Lignify, Compost and Tormod's Crypt, usually for the Mindbreak Trap and Seal of Primordium and something else that were in the main. I found that Seal of Removal and Elephant Grass were already extremely effective, so I didn't have anything else in the sideboard specifically to deal with that deck, but it could be more difficult now than it was six months ago.

I do like the Doomwake Giants against Elves, so if they give you utility against other decks that's a good thing too. It was something I never got to test since I never had a Bayou, but I liked the theory behind it since Elves is such a rough one, even if splashing an entire other color was a bit of a steep cost. If I were you I'd be cutting a basic Forest for the Bayou rather than the Tropical Island, since it's pretty easy to support 3 duals, no issues, but then I'd probably play at least 20 lands, or 19 and a Chrome Mox, or 18 and two Chrome Mox, or 17 and three. But I'd definitely go with either Dryad Arbor or Chrome Mox, probably not both, since in testing I always found that that was just worse than picking one or the other. I also never felt comfortable playing with Gaddock Teeg but no Savannah; even though the odds of drawing him without a way to cast him are super low, it happened enough times that I was happy to have Savannah in the deck, and it cost almost nothing in terms of consistency to play the Savannah over the Forest.

Sep 2015
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by benthetenor View Post
    Yeah, and Root Maze is good for that reason, so if you wanted to play it I'd probably play one main and 1-2 in the sideboard depending on how many you want total. I admit I haven't ever tested them but that's mostly because I didn't see any matchups where I needed them, but if you like what they do then more power to you.

For a long time I didn't play with Lignify because it looked dumb (which is terrible, but I think I've grown up a bit since then...), but I had one in the board at the last GP and it was fire. I don't know that I'd play two, if anything this deck taught me a lot about how much having one copy matters more than zero, but Reanimator never gave me much trouble. Granted, I haven't played this guy since June, so your testing is probably better than mine, but I think I'd go back and do a 1/1 split between Lignify and Tormod's Crypt which is a card that seriously over-performed for me. It's tough to get a good feel for just how good cards are as one-ofs, but it gives you a wide range of cards to bring in against a lot of decks and it's super powerful when you draw it. But usually against Reanimator I'd be bringing in Lignify, Compost and Tormod's Crypt, usually for the Mindbreak Trap and Seal of Primordium and something else that were in the main. I found that Seal of Removal and Elephant Grass were already extremely effective, so I didn't have anything else in the sideboard specifically to deal with that deck, but it could be more difficult now than it was six months ago.

I do like the Doomwake Giants against Elves, so if they give you utility against other decks that's a good thing too. It was something I never got to test since I never had a Bayou, but I liked the theory behind it since Elves is such a rough one, even if splashing an entire other color was a bit of a steep cost. If I were you I'd be cutting a basic Forest for the Bayou rather than the Tropical Island, since it's pretty easy to support 3 duals, no issues, but then I'd probably play at least 20 lands, or 19 and a Chrome Mox, or 18 and two Chrome Mox, or 17 and three. But I'd definitely go with either Dryad Arbor or Chrome Mox, probably not both, since in testing I always found that that was just worse than picking one or the other. I also never felt comfortable playing with Gaddock Teeg but no Savannah; even though the odds of drawing him without a way to cast him are super low, it happened enough times that I was happy to have Savannah in the deck, and it cost almost nothing in terms of consistency to play the Savannah over the Forest.
    Thank you for your insight, it allows me to push my understanding of the deck that much farther. I have rarely had any problems with blue mana. I don't know how useful the second Tropical Island is. It feels like it makes the deck more susceptible to Wasteland.
    However, I may add a Savannah because it has happened a few times that I drew that Teeg and couldn't get the Utopia Sprawl in time for it to matter.
    I'll get a few games in tonight and report if it's worthwhile!

Sep 2015
    Canada

I played this list yesterday and came second of seven folks.

Lands (19):
    4 Misty Rainforest
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Bayou
    1 Dryad Arbor
    8 Forest
    1 Savannah
    1 Island

Creatures (9):
    4 Argothian Enchantress
    4 Cloud of Faeries
    1 Eternal Witness

Spells (32):
    4 Wild Growth
    4 Utopia Sprawl
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Seal of Removal
    4 Elephant Grass
    4 Enchantress's Presence
    2 Words of Wind
    2 Carpet of Flowers
    1 Seal of Primordium
    2 Root Maze
    1 Mirri's Guile

SB:
    4 Leyline of Sanctity
    1 Seal of Primordium
    1 Reclamation Sage
    2 Lignify
    2 Doomwake Giant
    1 Carpet of Flowers
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    2 Back to Basics
    1 Root Maze

R1: I play against Jund.

Game one, I mull to oblivion and see no lands until my four card hand which has no action. Game two, I get a turn one root maze. A turn two utopia sprawl. A turn three Back to Basics and Seal of Removal on his Deathrite Shaman. GG. Game three, he tries to go full aggro and I stabilize at 8 life, which is plenty. I got a Leyline of Sanctity to help me survive his hand full of Duress and Thoughtseize.

R2: Painter S&T.

Game one, I learn that he plays S&T when he puts Emmy into play after I bounced his Painter's with my Seal of Removal. Shrug. Game two, I manage to root maze him, then Seal of primordium his Great Furnace. The tempo is too good and I take the game. Game three is a grindfest. My seals allow me to get him off combo three times. I win off Cloud of Faeries Beats.

R3: D&T.

Game one, he gets a few bears in, which I get to manage until he draws his Sanctum Prelate after I used my Seal of Removal on a Spirit of the Labyrinth. Game two, my Doomwake Giant makes him wonder what he could have done better. This card is a house. Game 3, he goes Thalia, Spirit of the Labyrinth, Sanctum Prelate, Flickerwisp on my wild growthed forest. I cannot do anything. His hand was just perfect. I'd have needed a quick Doomwake and even then.

The deck is nice to play, but games are often long. I think it'll be hard to survive 9 rounds at the GP!

Even though I really enjoy my Mirri's Guile, I might remove one to make room for another land. I really like root maze when on the play. I always go down to one when on the draw.

Jun 2011
    n/a

I played this list yesterday and came second of seven folks.

Lands (19):
    4 Misty Rainforest
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Bayou
    1 Dryad Arbor
    8 Forest
    1 Savannah
    1 Island

Creatures (9):
    4 Argothian Enchantress
    4 Cloud of Faeries
    1 Eternal Witness

Spells (32):
    4 Wild Growth
    4 Utopia Sprawl
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Seal of Removal
    4 Elephant Grass
    4 Enchantress's Presence
    2 Words of Wind
    2 Carpet of Flowers
    1 Seal of Primordium
    2 Root Maze
    1 Mirri's Guile

SB:
    4 Leyline of Sanctity
    1 Seal of Primordium
    1 Reclamation Sage
    2 Lignify
    2 Doomwake Giant
    1 Carpet of Flowers
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    2 Back to Basics
    1 Root Maze

R1: I play against Jund.

Game one, I mull to oblivion and see no lands until my four card hand which has no action. Game two, I get a turn one root maze. A turn two utopia sprawl. A turn three Back to Basics and Seal of Removal on his Deathrite Shaman. GG. Game three, he tries to go full aggro and I stabilize at 8 life, which is plenty. I got a Leyline of Sanctity to help me survive his hand full of Duress and Thoughtseize.

R2: Painter S&T.

Game one, I learn that he plays S&T when he puts Emmy into play after I bounced his Painter's with my Seal of Removal. Shrug. Game two, I manage to root maze him, then Seal of primordium his Great Furnace. The tempo is too good and I take the game. Game three is a grindfest. My seals allow me to get him off combo three times. I win off Cloud of Faeries Beats.

R3: D&T.

Game one, he gets a few bears in, which I get to manage until he draws his Sanctum Prelate after I used my Seal of Removal on a Spirit of the Labyrinth. Game two, my Doomwake Giant makes him wonder what he could have done better. This card is a house. Game 3, he goes Thalia, Spirit of the Labyrinth, Sanctum Prelate, Flickerwisp on my wild growthed forest. I cannot do anything. His hand was just perfect. I'd have needed a quick Doomwake and even then.

The deck is nice to play, but games are often long. I think it'll be hard to survive 9 rounds at the GP!

Even though I really enjoy my Mirri's Guile, I might remove one to make room for another land. I really like root maze when on the play. I always go down to one when on the draw.
    Have you gone full lock with 3 root maze's and 2 Back to Basics? as an alternative way to just prison out your opponents?

Sep 2015
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Rampart View Post
    Have you gone full lock with 3 root maze's and 2 Back to Basics? as an alternative way to just prison out your opponents?
    Yeah I got that yesterday against Jund which is never an easy matchup. It's a blowout on the play. On the draw, I go down to one Root Maze and still have the B2B in.

It doesn't cost many cards to have this combo. I'm quite happy actually about it. Root Maze is great against Storm and Miracles. B2B is awesome against Delver and Eldrazi.

Also, people often have to read Root Maze. +1

Sep 2015
    Canada

Hi, after being away for a while from this thread, here is my report on the deck.

List I played:
    Lands (19):
    4 Misty Rainforest
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Bayou
    1 Dryad Arbor
    8 Forest
    1 Savannah
    1 Island

Creatures (9):
    4 Argothian Enchantress
    4 Cloud of Faeries
    1 Eternal Witness

Spells (32):
    4 Wild Growth
    4 Utopia Sprawl
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Seal of Removal
    4 Elephant Grass
    4 Enchantress's Presence
    2 Words of Wind
    2 Carpet of Flowers
    1 Seal of Primordium
    2 Root Maze
    1 Mirri's Guile

SB:
    4 Leyline of Sanctity
    1 Seal of Primordium
    1 Reclamation Sage
    2 Lignify
    2 Doomwake Giant
    1 Carpet of Flowers
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    2 Back to Basics
    1 Root Maze

GP Louisville, 3-4 drop.

I had a good run, lots of fun, and a few ideas for where to take the deck. Sorry for the incomplete tournament report, as it's been a long time and my notes are light.

Round 1, Jonathan on Infect. 0-2 (0-1)
    I do not draw nearly enough enchantresses and those that I do get countered. Maybe playing around Daze might have done it, but with an early elf, I feel pressured. I do believe that the matchup is okay. Root Mazes weren't awesome here, as Noble Hierarch allowed them to still develop their board. Carpets didn't do much as well. I feel like this matchup isn't all that bad with Elephant Grass, Seal of Removal and Seal of Primordium.

Round 2, Joe on Miracles 1-2 (0-2)
    I lose this round again due to not drawing enough enchantresses. I made some mistakes with Back to Basics and Words of Wind, allowing them to take back their tapped lands. The matchup is pretty good, so long as I get those enchantresses. Go figure.

Round 3, Kyle on TES 2-0 (1-2)
    The moment I understand that he's on TES, I feel like I've been robbed of the tournament. There's not way I get to play good magic here. Anyway, he gets the durdly hand and somehow we get to turn 4 after which I have some board presence, ready to combo. He burning wishes a Reverent Silence and I have to restart. I get to do it and win game 1. Game 2, I get a Leyline in hand, a turn 2 Teeg and then root maze. I go one and win that game!

Round 4, Marc on Sneak and Show 2-1 (2-2)
    This matchup is interesting, as he has a hard time dealing with Elephant Grass and Seal of Removal. Games 1 and 3, I manage to combo off before he does. Game 2, he has a T2 Emrakul and it's GG.

Round 5, Matt on Grixis Delver 0-2 (2-3)
    I feel like this match was winnable, but I made a few mistakes, mainly getting greedy and running an enchantress through a daze when he did not have pressure. Live and learn they say. The therapies on my enchantresses hurt and the matchup really depends on me getting my enchantresses into play.

Round 6, Chris on Merfolk 2-1 (3-3)
    We play some tight games where he manages to have enough pressure that I cannot concentrate on going off and have to manage his dudes by paying grass triggers and such. At some point, he counters a GSZ with a vialed in Cursecatcher. Doomwake Giant is a house in this matchup.

Round 7, James on ANT 1-2 (3-4)
    He easily wins game 1. On game two, I get Leyline with Teeg and go on to win that game. Game three, I had sideboarded my Elephant grasses out and he ETWs me out of the game. I should have guessed that he'd get that after having seen my Leyline.

Overall, I had a great day. Faced a good variety of decks. Lost against Miracles and Delver when I should have won those. Won against TES when I should have lost.

Since last month, I played a few games with the deck and here are my changes to the list:

- 1 Dryad Arbor
    - 2 Root Maze
    - 1 Mirri's Guile
    + 2 Chrome Mox
    + 1 Renegade Rallier

Theses changes allow me to be slightly faster with the moxi in order to get in before the quick combo decks get to go off. The Root Maze were awesome on the play turn one, and I really mean awesome. However, they brought too much variance in the game, something this deck does not want. I feel that trying the Rallier is better. I gets back my enchantress after it has been discarded or countered. It also allows to ramp with GSZ when I have a Cloud of Faeries in the GY. Last utility it has is to bring back a Seal of Primordium while bypassing Counterbalance or Chalice on two.

SB:
    - 2 Lignify
    - 2 Back to Basics
    - 1 Root Maze
    + 3 Crop Rotation
    + 1 Karakas
    + 1 Bojuka Bog

This new package is to have a good game against RB Reanimator and Sneak and Show. Both these matchups were 50-50 at best, now I feel they become 55-45. Seeing as they are everywhere, I feel like this is a good change. Lignify was too slow for those.

Here are changes I am contemplating for the SB:
    - 4 Leyline of Sanctity
    + 3 Parallax Nexus
    + 1 Eidolon of Blossoms

The Nexi are awesome against storm and burn, as well as any wierd combo deck. You get to take three cards for three turns, four cards for two turns, five cards for a turn, you get the idea. The objective is to combo out and bounce their lands before they get their cards back. Now here's the tricky part. If you are comboing and have infinite mana, infinite etb triggers, you can make them discard, hold priority, cycle Cloud of Faeries, Bounce back the Nexus, making the discarded card disappear forever. Use Eternal Witness to get the Cloud back to your hand. Rinse and Repeat. Theoretically, they are left with no hand and no permanents. Even burn cannot come back from this.
    As for the Eidolon, I feel like the grindy matchups need another Enchantress.

Here is the up to date list:

Lands (19):
    4 Misty Rainforest
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Tropical Island
    1 Bayou
    8 Forest
    1 Savannah
    1 Island

Creatures (10):
    4 Argothian Enchantress
    4 Cloud of Faeries