Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] U/G Enchantress

Sep 2015
    Canada

Re: [Deck] U/G Enchantress

Seeing as there is activity back in this thread, it makes me want to pick up the deck again. I'll get to play my old list next Saturday and will report back.

Edit: I could not find all my cards in the time I had. Derp. Will have to wait!
    Last edited by Turboninja; 11-05-2017 at 10:47 AM.

Dec 2009
    hessen, germany

I will play my list next week saturday in a paper tournament again.

I'm curious about the land base for this deck. How negotiable are the # of tropical islands? Do I really need to buy a second Alpha Tropical Island or can I toss a basic island in the slot?
    Last edited by HouseOfCards; 11-03-2017 at 10:35 PM.

Aug 2016
    Flanders

I know that feel from when I had GWB Enchantress completely Beta'ed out, so I'm glad I downgraded to FBB

Minus Celcius only played 1 Trop in his version (the 1st with Candelabra) so that may be fine. I upped the count to 2 after adding 1-2 Jace TMS to my sideboard, I just wanted to have 2 fetchable blue to reliably cast him.
    Basic Island seems clunky though, green is very important and Karakas and Serra's Sanctum already lead to unplayable opening hands and being starved for green.

Dec 2009
    hessen, germany

I am playing one Trop without Jaces and this is fine.

You ALPHA / BETA guys are awesome! Would like to post my deck here but still did not get how to do this in this forum

Quote Originally Posted by Fjaulnir View Post
    I know that feel from when I had GWB Enchantress completely Beta'ed out, so I'm glad I downgraded to FBB

Minus Celcius only played 1 Trop in his version (the 1st with Candelabra) so that may be fine. I upped the count to 2 after adding 1-2 Jace TMS to my sideboard, I just wanted to have 2 fetchable blue to reliably cast him.
    Basic Island seems clunky though, green is very important and Karakas and Serra's Sanctum already lead to unplayable opening hands and being starved for green.
    Ya that's my only concern. I'll eventually be toying around with a version that includes living wish maindeck so that I can move 1 sanctum and maybe even the karakas to the sideboard.

Dec 2009
    hessen, germany

Top 8 ´ed again a 20 man-tournament on saturday. Same list like before, only swapped the 2 In the Eye of Chaos against 2 Solitary Confinement. 5 rounds of Swiss, top 8 would play out a bye for the next MKM series.

1st round against mono black Reanimator / Dark Depths hybrid. On second turn my only second land was Karakas. So he entombed for something non-legendary end of my turn. Turns out that the only target was Grave Titan, which get Entombed and attacked for some damage, before Elephant Grass stops his army of darkness.
    After boarding he switched to Dark Depths / Hexmage / Thespian Stage to dodge grave hate, but luckily Marit Lage is black…

1:0, 2-0

2nd round against RUG delver. Second game was pretty crazy because he countered nearly every spell I made, Surgical Extracted all of my Enchantress effects, and gone the way with Nimble Mongooses.
    The other two games I won without something special.

2:0, 4:1

3rd round against Grixis Delver.
    Second game I get Surgicaled again against my draw engine…seems to be the best plan Delver decks have against us.
    In third game, we went to extra turns, and a crowd gathered around us. So my deck have no more surprise effects for the rest of the tournament. But the good thing was that I get a lot of high fives for Doom Waking his board and a turn with 8 Words of Winds triggers…

3:0, 6:2

Whoop, what a great start!

4th round against R Eldrazi. Red was in because of Simian Spirit Guide, Eldrazi Obligator and SB Chaos Warp.
    First game I get smashed on turn 4 thanks to 2 Endless Ones, Obligator, Mimic and Thought Knot…Nice draw dude…
    Second game I could stabilize behind Grass and Doomwake, Doomwake gets Chaos Warped, but this bought me enough time to come to Emrakul.
    Third game was pretty much the same, board is stalled, but then the archenemy arrived – ALL IS DUST! Some one a good idea against this? Replenish? Might be pretty useless because all the Eldrazis on the Board attacked into my empty board before I could be able to cast Replenish…awesome…

3:1, 7:4

5th and last round against Burn. The burn player was paired up the round before and crushed the last other undefeated player. Game one the usual shit, unable to beat Price of Progress and Eidolon. Second game bring in all the enchantment hate for this silly Eidolon, started with Leyline in my opening hand, could manage to hide behind Doomwake and ride it home.
    Third game was pretty silly too. Opening hand Leyline again, so I feeled quite good. But he played 2 Pyrostatic Pillar and 1 Eidolon. Was able to kill his creatures with Doomwake and land Solitary Confiment, but I was at one life at this point. And my draws brought me 4 lands…great…never be able to draw again without losing Confiment. Doomwake brought him to 3, I had no more cards in hand, and he of course had the Price of Progress and he went to 1 cause of the last Pyrostatic Pillar…haha nice ending…

3:2, 8:6

So deck gets tired. Me too so I dropped the quarters against Sneak and Show without playing because I am not sure if I have the time to go to MKM Series, it was late and I had other things to do (aka drinking).

Ended up 6th, 5th was a friend of mine who also started 3:0, ending 3:2…good enough for a Wooded Foothills.

Overall I was quite satisfied with the deck and the performance. Unlucky draws or lucky draws from opponent are part of the game, so this is fine.
    But 2 of my 3 losses in tournaments so far with this deck were against burn…this feels quite miserable.

Sneak and Show opponent from top 8 wanted my decklist after the tournament, because he is an old fan of 12 Post and have access to Candelabras…so maybe another player with this wonderful deck.

Jan 2014
    Prague

yeah,i'm little bit curious about this deck and some occasion get my candelabras back to play again as erstwile postramp player..words of wind is amazing card :))

Anyone tried search for Azcanta in this? Might need some modifications with more fetchlands etc.

Aug 2016
    Flanders

Haven't tried that yet no I'm usually too avaricious to spend 10€ on standard legal cards - I only discovered the card after it already spiked in value :) (while I don't have a problem spending 220€ on some original Legends Sylvan Libraries or w/e a bit inconsequential like that

Aug 2016
    Flanders

I realised I'm often not 100% sure if I can go for the infinite combo and just use my gut feeling, and that I may be missing out on opportunities to go for it because of this.

So I figured it wouldn't be hard at all to have a rule of thumb in the back of my head that just tells when you have infinite on board:

Required for infinite mana+draws

--enchantment in hand generating 2 draws
    -WoW + Candelabra in play
    -X lands that tap for X+5 mana (1 green source for inf mana only (if Emrakul in hand), 2 green sources or 1 green + a 3rd draw trigger for inf draws)
    Memorising this table should give a great baseline and save some mental energy during a tournament, especially the latter is useful to know by heart as a number.

The former can be
    *an Abundant Growth + 1 Enchantress effect, or
    *Wild Growth, Elephant Grass,... + 2 Enchantresses (there needs to be a second enchantment on the board though without Abundant, as Wild Growth can't bounce itself with WoW).

The X+5 mana is necessary to complete this cycle:
    *Float X+5
    *pay for a Growth/Grass + for Wow activations (X+2 floating)
    *bounce a enchantment + Candelabra
    *pay to replay Candelabra (X+1 floating) -> after untapping X lands that tap for X+5 mana you'll now have netted 1 mana with this cycle.

-> Y repetitions of this cycle give Y (-> 'infinite') mana.
    -> repeating the same cycle but only bouncing the enchantment and not the Candelabra, should leave 1 draw trigger to actually draw 'infinitely'. This cycle costs per draw off your floating mana.

This does not keep into account that in case the is a Wild Growth, that maybe some mana can be netted off moving the Growth between lands. I'd need to spend some time looking at such situations to see if a generalised rule of thumb can be given about that.

Feb 2015
    SF, CA (via London, UK)

Was playing some Delver this weekend to help my friend practice the MU, and realised just how boring I find all the T1 decks right now. Is anyone still playing UG Ench? If anyone has played it at all this year, I'd be super interested in even just a brief summary of your experiences - how does it perform against the current field? Just a brief overview of what the game is like against grixis/4c, miracles, lands, D&T, S&S would be so interesting to read.

Aug 2016
    Flanders

Quote Originally Posted by cdnza View Post
    Was playing some Delver this weekend to help my friend practice the MU, and realised just how boring I find all the T1 decks right now. Is anyone still playing UG Ench? If anyone has played it at all this year, I'd be super interested in even just a brief summary of your experiences - how does it perform against the current field? Just a brief overview of what the game is like against grixis/4c, miracles, lands, D&T, S&S would be so interesting to read.
    It's not really an overview of what the game is like as in, how to sequence stuff etc but back in september-october I played 100 matches with decklists more or less like this one
    http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=17411&d=307820&f=LE

Matchups I played 4 times or more:

Storm 9%: 11,1% matchwins (1-8)
    Czech Pile 8%: 62,5% matchwins (5-3)
    Grixis Delver 7%: 71,4% matchwins (5-2)
    Miracles 7%: 57,1% matchwins (4-3)
    Elves 6%: 50% matchwins (3-3)
    Death and Taxes 5%: 80% matchwins (4-1)
    Eldrazi variants 5%: 40% matchwins (2-3)
    Reanimator variants 4%: 50% matchwins (2-2)
    Dredge 4%: 100% matchwins (4-0)

S&S I was 1-2 against so that's only 33% winrate but I don't think 3 rounds is enough to be meaningful. (Neither is 4, but it still feels more like meaningful difference between 3-1 or 2-2 or 1-3, than 2-1 or 1-2 where you go from 67% winrate to 33% winrate just by 1 game that might have been unlucky)

Lands I was 2-1 in matches

Aug 2016
    Flanders

I joined MTGO again last week and played 2 leagues with this version.

2nd one was already an overwhelming victory
    https://imgur.com/a/bW6Vv

(1st one went horrible, 1-4 with win vs Death and Taxes, loss vs TES, Sneaky Show and 2x Lands who always had the Ghost Quarter - Exploration lock)

Changes were 3 Leyline-1 RIP instead of 2-2, and trying out a 4th Zenith + Dryad Arbor instead of Ground Seal + 1 more fetch
    (Note: never turn 1 Zenithed for Arbor or even played it at all. The 4th Zenith was nice to have though.)

Decklist:
    https://imgur.com/a/X77k9

Feb 2015
    SF, CA (via London, UK)

@Fjaulnir your list looks super cool but I have little hope of ever buying Candelabras

Hey so i haven't played the deck at all but am looking into building it; either this or the witch house version... was wondering if I could ask y'all a few questions

I hear that enchantress is decent against fair decks, and folds to combo - how true is this? what fair decks are the best/worst matchups? what combo decks are best/worst?

Thanks for your help!
    Don't recall, Don't imagine, Don't think, Don't examine, Don't control, Rest

Quote Originally Posted by aslidsiksoraksi View Post
    Hey so i haven't played the deck at all but am looking into building it; either this or the witch house version... was wondering if I could ask y'all a few questions

I hear that enchantress is decent against fair decks, and folds to combo - how true is this? what fair decks are the best/worst matchups? what combo decks are best/worst?

Thanks for your help!
    You are a slower combo deck with a lot of in-built card advantage
    It's hard for fair decks to race you, because if they don't disrupt you then your combo will be faster than their win conditions. If they try to play a game where they disrupt you a lot and barely try to kill you then it's also hard for them to win, because you have so much card advantage/redundancy.

However vs decks like Storm, their combo is faster, so they can race you. Enchantress doesn't really have any disruption for spells (especially maindeck) so you can't really stop them from comboing, and Storm's main plan isn't to disrupt the opponent (only just enough that its combo is protected) so even if the enchantress deck draws 10 cards Storm doesn't care.

You can see this pattern in the stats Fjaulnir has recorded in his win% vs combo decks and fair decks.
    His matchups against Reanimator/Dredge I imagine would be similarly bad as Storm but these decks are more susceptible to SB hate than Storm is. (It's also nice that sometimes they get randomly shut down by Elephant Grass)
    Last edited by kombatkiwi; 04-11-2018 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by slayjay View Post
    Top 8 ´ed again a 20 man-tournament on saturday. Same list like before, only swapped the 2 In the Eye of Chaos against 2 Solitary Confinement. 5 rounds of Swiss, top 8 would play out a bye for the next MKM series.
    Thank you very much for your report. Could you please show your decklist?
    Special Forces Combo Elves

Feb 2015
    SF, CA (via London, UK)

Fjaulnir and slayjay have inspired me to start looking at trying to pick up Candelabras...

Dec 2009
    hessen, germany

Quote Originally Posted by cdnza View Post
    Fjaulnir and slayjay have inspired me to start looking at trying to pick up Candelabras...
    do it man you will not regret! I am on other projects atm but came back to candel decks every time...now I am trying 5 color enchantress with mana flare, fastbond and candelabra in the old school format and it is crazy :-D

Thread Information