Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: [Deck] U/G Enchantress

Re: [Deck] U/G Enchantress

New Commander PW :

Estrid, the Masked - 1GWU
    Loyalty: 3
    +2: Untap each enchanted permanent you control.
    -1: Create a white Aura enchantment token named Mask attached to another target permanent. The token has enchant permanent and totem armor.
    -7: Put the top seven cards of your library into your graveyard. Return all non-Aura enchantment cards from your graveyard to the battlefield, then do this also for Aura cards.
    Estrid, the Masked can be your commander.

Her +2 really helps to cast Emrakul.
    Her -1 can protect your lands against Wasteland / Ghost quarter. Or your drawing engine, or lock pieces.
    Her ultimate gives you around 4 enchantments in play

She is a Candelabra-Sterling grove-Replenish PW :)

Unable to protect herself, but serious potential here !
    Pox -- Miracles -- Lands -- Candelabra Enchantress -- Dragon Stompy -- Eldrazi Stompy -- Sultai Control

Quote Originally Posted by ParisFlorian View Post
    I think in certain matchups you will have to rely more on Enchantress Presence, because of MD removal cards like Toxic deluge, Marsh casualties, Terminus...
    And yes, Mirri's guile (+fetches) and Sylvan Library help a lot to find them. Sterling grove can also help fetch one copy, or simply protect the Enchantress Presence itself if already on the board.
    When I take off, I am almost certain to win, because the high enchantment-density of the deck (36/60, with no GSZ dilution) makes me draw a lot and because I can cast everything with the candelabras.
    So I do not hesitate to pay 4 or 8 life for the Library to speed things up.

Yes I am very happy with it. It is like having 2 Enchantress effects in play, plus the card type selection which is super useful.
    It is obviously good if you can land the combo in the early turns, but it is also very helpfull when you are in storm-mode, giving each time you what you need (land or spell)

I like the card, it is quite cheap, green, and moreover it cantrips, which is great in a non blue deck (I mean without brainstorm & ponder).
    But the effect seems quite narrow to me in this meta. I would rather play a Savannah and a RIP.

I had good results with In the Eye of chaos, so I kept 2 spots in the SB for it. It totally shuts Ad Nauseam, and makes mana production very difficult.
    Of course both Leylines are great as well.
    With the whole package I usually win G2 and G3.
    But don't forget that Storm is not as good as it used to be. Probe was a really strong card in the deck !

Florian
    Hey
    Thx for the fast response.

I will test out the Sylvian/miris Over gsz this weekend on tournement and will report.

I like the New plainywalkers, but if u combo up and will draw it, He says only "win more". Maybe He can also buy u time against Aggro, But only of u have a creature on the battelfield. Maybe in a build with The 4 mana enchantress, Im not Sure with This one.

If i woud add a plainswalker the Best in my eyes are woud be ral zareck, He kill creatures, and untap one of the power Lands. But He is too Red.

Greetz André

2-1 yesterday

2-1 against Dredge
    G1 was a race. I was down to 1 life by turn 3 but I stabilized with Elephant Grass and won with the Wow combo the following turn.
    G2 : I sided in 3 Leyline of the Void. I mulliganed to 5 and did not see one of them.
    G3 : Mulligan to 6 WITH the Leyline this time. He managed to draw a removal but I had the time to land Sterling Grove to protect it, and I had another Leyline in hand anyway. gg :)

0-2 against Show & Tell
    G1 : bad openings for me, I started with 5 cards. He countered everything and finished me with Emrakul.
    G2 : bad opening again, and I did not see my side, which should have been really good (Choke, In the Eye of chaos...). I just drew a Seal of Removal, which does absolutely nothing against an Omniscience deck. Again, he was able to counter all my drawing engine pieces (4 or 5 enchantress / enchantress presence) and S&T into Omniscience. I had Ixalan Binding in hand to exile Omniscience, but again he had an answer with Cunning Wish. He was just too strong !
    The lesson is that I need to get rid of my Seal of Removal, their are really useless, and add an extra Choke in the side and a City of Solitude.

2-0 against Sultai Food chain
    G1 : great hand with a Seal of Primordium, which saved me from his Food Chain in play. I won the following turn with Wow-Candelabra-Sanctum-Emrakul.
    G2 : I had a Leyline of Sanctity in my opening hand (against Walking ballista) and I locked him on T2 with a Back to Basics. And then combo to finish him.

I really have to work this Show & Tell matchup (even I feel I didn't draw the good cards and he definitly did). Any advice regarding the sb plan ?
    Pox -- Miracles -- Lands -- Candelabra Enchantress -- Dragon Stompy -- Eldrazi Stompy -- Sultai Control

Hello

I testet the "no gsz" Version, and im very impresed.
    Iam Feeling i Got enchantress Effekt Everytime i need one, and with combination of fetsch and guile /sylvan, i have more Chance to get the Cards i need. In the hole 10 games i played sunday, i have only one game i fail with no enchantments to draw. In the gsz Version it happens very often. So i will keep the no gsz Version.

I played 3 matches against delver (brg) and won only one. I missed the Leafcrown Dryad in the side, and so the delver keep me Hiting, i have to make a place in the sb for him.

I also try the aeterflux Reservoir, i draw it 2 Times, it win me one game, and against mevarik, it buys me a Lot of time (Set it Down t3, give me 3 to 6 life a turn) by searching for combo. Im not Sure with This one at the Moment, But i will keep it in the 60 for testing.

In the end i Go 2:3, lost again 2 delver Decks and dredge (miss found hate)
    Win against delver and maverick

Greetz
    André

Feb 2015
    SF, CA (via London, UK)

I played a few games with GW enchantress tonight and it made me think about this deck again. I actually have some In the Eye of Chaos on the way and have been thinking about that new commander 3cc copy/blink enchantment, so figured now might be a good time to see if anyone has been playing UG post-ban. The enchantress Discord is overwhelmingly GW so thought I'd try asking here first!

Hi guys,
    Last time I played this pile Frantic Search was still legal but I took it to a local tournament recently and it was so much fun. I missed buying a Candelabra at 320€ (the storm deck had to be completed..)
    Hope'd you guys could give me some objections and or suggestions:

8 Forest
    1 Snow-Covered Forest
    2 Island
    2 Serra's Sanctum
    2 Misty Rainforest
    3 Windswept Heath
    1 Wooded Foothills
    1 Chrome Mox
    4 Wild Growth
    4 Utopia Sprawl
    4 Elephant Grass
    2 Abundant Growth / thinking about Cloudstone Curio
    1 Carpet of Flowers
    3 Seal of Removal
    4 Argothian Enchantress
    4 Enchantress's Presence
    1 Sylvan Library
    3 Words of Wind / maybe two are enough?
    3 Cloud of Faeries
    1 Seal of Primordium
    2 Eternal Witness
    1 Solitary Confinement
    1 Back to Basics
    1 In the Eye of Chaos / or a 2nd Back to Basics?
    1 Doomwake Giant
    sb:
    1 Karakas
    1 Opalescence
    1 Worship
    1 Compost
    1 Choke
    1 Blood Moon
    2 Parallax Nexus
    1 Energy Flux
    1 Arcane Laboratory
    1 Karmic Justice
    1 Enchanted Evening
    1 Braingeyser
    1 Sterling Grove
    1 Enlightened Tutor

cards that didn't make it
    2 Chill, 1 Mystic Remora, 1 Trinisphere, 2 Pendrell Mists, 1 Lifeforce, 1 Circle of Protection Black, 1 Eidolon of Flowers,
    1 Tropical Island, 1 Bayou, 1 Trade Routes, 1 Holistic Wisdom

Not sure about tutoring like Crop Rotation plus Bojuka Bog or Green Sun's Zenith with Gaddok Teeg and Reclamation Sage. I'm not convinced by Living Wish even though it might be nice to get land/enchantress/emrakul from the 'board.
    Somehow I'd like to add one Leovold, Emissary of Trest, just because. What do you think about it?
    I think I could get some Replenishes but didn't bother so far.

Cheers,
    In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni.

If you want to get a feel for what this deck, in this format, is capable of, I suggest you take the list from the first page and start there before you make any radical changes. Frantic Search hasn't been legal in Legacy since late in 1999, about five years before the B/R list was separated from Type 1 (Vintage) and the format was really created. And the old Extended version that played with Frantic Search was substantively different than this version, which was built to compete in the Legacy metagame. It is consistent and robust, where I see a lot of issues with your mana base in terms of supporting a lot of the many colored one-ofs that you've sprinkled throughout the deck. You've also avoided Green Sun's Zenith entirely. I'm not sure why you would do that, since it adds consistency and helps build up a lot of enchantress effects in a deck that is completely designed to have two to four of them in play when going off. If I were you, I'd focus on two or three colors, make the mana base to support it, then strip out anything that doesn't directly contribute to comboing off, and once you're comfortable with that, then you can start making changes. It's up to you, but the version you posted will win a lot less than a stock build, for those reasons.

For my part, I am interested in playing this deck again with the bannings of Gitaxian Probe and Deathrite Shaman. I'm seeing a metagame that involves a lot of Gurmag Anglers and Dark Depths tokens and Griselbrands (and even Street Wraiths and Death's Shadows), all of which line up really well with Elephant Grass and Seal of Removal, and it seems like everything has just slowed down by about a turn. There's not much Storm, and the combo that is around involves winning by attacking with creatures, which is much better for us. The loss of Gitaxian Probe leads to more Thoughtseizes and fewer Cabal Therapies, making stacking up Mindbreak Traps a much more effective strategy to combat Storm combo than it had been in the past. Even the rise of Wastelands and Stifles isn't as big of a deal for a deck that plays 10 basic lands and can function entirely without ever seeing a non-basic.

Issues that I could see coming include Death and Taxes (specifically, Rishidan Port and Flickerwisp nuking a bunch of Wild Growth effects) and some Reanimator sideboards that actually have Reverent Silence(!!!). But I think that Death and Taxes just requires more careful play when you're not going off (not stacking 3 Wild Growth effects on one land until you have control of the board) or maybe some sort of direct answer, and from what it seems Wear//Tear out of Reanimator sideboards seems to be much more popular than free Tranquility, so I think these are issues that can be overcome. I could see a black splash for Leovold, Emisary of Trest (who plays extremely well with Mindbreak Trap, unlike Gaddock Teeg) and potentially Dread of Night being a strong possibility, though it could also just not be necessary. I need to test the Death and Taxes matchup the most, since that is also one of the best and most popular decks of the moment.

Anything I missed? Anything about the current metagame that scares you guys, that we should be focusing on?

Feb 2015
    SF, CA (via London, UK)

Quote Originally Posted by benthetenor View Post
    Anything I missed? Anything about the current metagame that scares you guys, that we should be focusing on?
    One of my concerns (irritations is perhaps a more accurate term - I was talking about this in the enchantress discord this morning) is that the current top control deck in the format plays multiple maindeck edicts. I played a game last night where I got my first argothian edicted, the second snapcaster edicted, and my presence forced and I don't think this is all that uncommon a sequence. I think the matchup against fair blue decks is still good with enchantress strategies but I want to make sure I have a good sideboard plan for these sorts of decks.

I could see that. For me I tend to run Cloud of Faeries out there pretty early if I have one (for neutral mana or a small boost), specifically to insulate against Edict effects. I also usually run a Dryad Arbor, so having a fetchland in play or Green Sun's Zenithing for one in the first turn or two are both good preemptive counter-measures. It used to be Liliana of the Veil everywhere (in Shardless BUG and Jund), now it does seem to be Edict + Snapcaster Mage. There are some good sideboard options, too. I tend to like Kitchen Finks as a GSZ target when facing most fair decks with access to Lightning Bolt (mostly great against Burn, but also gives you some buffer against a lot of Delver strategies) and without Deathrite to eat him with his persist on the stack, that's a good way to absorb a few Edicts. But it is definitely annoying that, rather than Fatal Push or Swords to Plowshares, pretty much every deck with access to black has like 2 Edicts in the sideboard.

Played to a top 4 finish yesterday out of 23 people yesterday. Played a pretty stock original list but played 1 of petal main.

U/B shadow W
    Sneak and Show W
    U/B shadow L
    4 color loam draw
    Turbo depths W

Top8
    Sneak and Show W
    Death and Taxes L

Deck is great, side board felt almost unnecessary a lot of the time and was probably misbuilt. I’d say we want a minimum of 2 maybe 3 dread of night. Death shadow is a good matchup for us, my deck just pooped on me for 2 straight games (they don’t like elephant grass and have to fear cloud of faeries killing them if they get too aggressive with lowering their life. Elephant grass is fine for turbo depths game 1 but they have a black fling sorcery that can beat you if you wait around too long post board.

Last event report :

2-0 Merfolk
    G1 : Good opening, and I raced him with an early Emrakul
    G2 : Moat, Choke and Elephant Grass on the board :)

2-0 5c Control Midrange-ish Pile (with green for Tarmo & Decay, red for K command and Bolt, white for Stp... and blue for blue stuff)
    G1 : Perfect opening, with Wild Growth, Enchantress, Candelabra, Sanctum. I drew millions of cards and cast Emrakul for the win.
    G2 : Slow hand. I played around Daze / Spell pierce to land my Enchantresses, which were edicted twice. That gave him time to put 2 Tarmo and a TNN in play. I cleared the board the following turn with Doomwake Giant and 6 triggers, and a B2B to lock him out.

2-0 Miracles
    G1 : Fast start he couldn't resist.
    G2 : He drew THREE Disenchant in the few turns to kill my Enchantress Presence and Candelabra. Despite that I managed to draw tons of cards with Sylvan Library + Abundance in play, and closed the game with Emrakul. NB : I played Estrid Invocation for the first time, as a copy of Abundant Growth, which was very usefull.

On the whole the deck felt super strong, again. I am just sad I don't have time for bigger tournaments...

Decklist :

Deck: Witch Candelabra Enchantress

//Lands
    1 Bayou
    5 Forest
    1 Savannah
    3 Serra's Sanctum
    1 Tropical Island
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Wooded Foothills

//Spells
    1 Abundance
    4 Abundant Growth
    1 Banishing Light
    3 Candelabra of Tawnos
    3 Elephant Grass
    4 Enchantress's Presence
    1 Estrid's Invocation
    1 Exploration
    1 Mirri's Guile
    1 Moat
    1 Seal of Primordium
    1 Sterling Grove
    2 Sylvan Library
    4 Utopia Sprawl
    4 Wild Growth
    1 Words of Wind

//Creatures
    4 Argothian Enchantress
    2 Doomwake Giant
    1 Eidolon of Blossoms
    1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

//Sideboard
    1 Back to Basics
    2 Choke
    2 In the Eye of Chaos
    1 Ixalan's Binding
    1 Karmic Justice
    2 Leyline of Sanctity
    3 Leyline of the Void
    1 Mystic Remora
    1 Solitary Confinement
    1 Sterling Grove

Display deck statistics

Quote Originally Posted by dredge90 View Post
    Played to a top 4 finish yesterday out of 23 people yesterday. Played a pretty stock original list but played 1 of petal main.

U/B shadow W
    Sneak and Show W
    U/B shadow L
    4 color loam draw
    Turbo depths W

Top8
    Sneak and Show W
    Death and Taxes L

Deck is great, side board felt almost unnecessary a lot of the time and was probably misbuilt. I’d say we want a minimum of 2 maybe 3 dread of night. Death shadow is a good matchup for us, my deck just pooped on me for 2 straight games (they don’t like elephant grass and have to fear cloud of faeries killing them if they get too aggressive with lowering their life. Elephant grass is fine for turbo depths game 1 but they have a black fling sorcery that can beat you if you wait around too long post board.
    I do not need Dread of Night against D&T. The matchup feels favorable thanks to Doomwake Giant.
    What is your SB plan against Sneak and Show ?

Quote Originally Posted by cdnza View Post
    One of my concerns (irritations is perhaps a more accurate term - I was talking about this in the enchantress discord this morning) is that the current top control deck in the format plays multiple maindeck edicts. I played a game last night where I got my first argothian edicted, the second snapcaster edicted, and my presence forced and I don't think this is all that uncommon a sequence. I think the matchup against fair blue decks is still good with enchantress strategies but I want to make sure I have a good sideboard plan for these sorts of decks.
    I agree with those many Edicts maindeck.
    That's why it more interesting to try to land an Enchantress Presence (with the help of Sylan Library + Mirri's Guile) more than an Argothian Enchantress (especially using GSZ, which I really dont like in this deck)

I do not need Dread of Night against D&T. The matchup feels favorable thanks to Doomwake Giant.
    What is your SB plan against Sneak and Show ?
    You don’t get to doomswake if they have some combo of Thalia, prelate, port, and possibly revoker...

I’ve beat d&t before with giant but you have to get a little lucky.

As far as show and tell get green seal and blue seal down quickly and try to keep something with an etb effect in hand so you get priority post show and tell just in case they put omni in with plans to cast fatty.

U/B shadow W
    Sneak and Show W
    U/B shadow L
    4 color loam draw
    Turbo depths W

Top8
    Sneak and Show W
    Death and Taxes L

Lotus Petal main is interesting. Is that because you don't have a Chrome Mox, or because you prefer it to something like Chrome Mox?

Another option I'm thinking for D&T to keep it UG is to play a few Back to Basics + a whole pile of Disenchant effects, thinking that it will disrupt their mana enough to slow their game down. But mostly that's not a matchup that I really like B2B for, since most still play 8-11 Plains. I'm not sure if just shutting down Port and various utility lands is worth spending a card on, or if it does really anything at all in that matchup. I do like Dread of Night as an option for a black splash (and I agree, Doomwake seems pretty ambitious against a deck with Rishidan Port and Thalia), either with or without dipping into a Leovold and/or discard. The single Bayou isn't a huge liability against Wastelands, but I'm also really attracted to leaning heavily on Back to Basics as a strong lock component.

I agree with those many Edicts maindeck.
    That's why it more interesting to try to land an Enchantress Presence (with the help of Sylan Library + Mirri's Guile) more than an Argothian Enchantress (especially using GSZ, which I really dont like in this deck)
    I almost didn't say anything, since at this point your list is pretty drastically removed from what this deck actually is, but that's kind of an odd position to take, coming from a guy who plays three Serra's Sanctum in a format filled with Wastelands. Surely Wasteland is more prevalent than Diabolic Edict?

I almost didn't say anything, since at this point your list is pretty drastically removed from what this deck actually is, but that's kind of an odd position to take, coming from a guy who plays three Serra's Sanctum in a format filled with Wastelands. Surely Wasteland is more prevalent than Diabolic Edict?
    Good to hear from you Ben. I think the Candle deck is completely different from what we’ve played. I don’t think b2b is better than dread of night vs d&t although i could be wrong. I also found this weekend that playing cloud of faeries the same turn as argothian was almost always the line I took if i had any fear of them having an edict which is a much different play pattern than I had in the past.

You don’t get to doomswake if they have some combo of Thalia, prelate, port, and possibly revoker...

I’ve beat d&t before with giant but you have to get a little lucky.

As far as show and tell get green seal and blue seal down quickly and try to keep something with an etb effect in hand so you get priority post show and tell just in case they put omni in with plans to cast fatty.
    I play both Enchantress and D&T and I goldfished a lot with the two. In my case Enchantress is really favored, but I guess the Candelabras help a lot to speed up and fight the Ports.

Concerning the blue seal : since a lot of players play Omniscience, I found it totally useless, and it is not in my 75 anymore.

Good to hear from you Ben. I think the Candle deck is completely different from what we’ve played. I don’t think b2b is better than dread of night vs d&t although i could be wrong. I also found this weekend that playing cloud of faeries the same turn as argothian was almost always the line I took if i had any fear of them having an edict which is a much different play pattern than I had in the past.
    I mean, there's no way that it's better than Dread of Night against Death and Taxes (because that card is a 10), but it's really strong against a lot of the rest of the format. Originally when Deathrite Shaman was banned I thought people would scale back and play more conservative mana bases since an increase in Wasteland seemed like a pretty natural conclusion, but people haven't quite figured out yet that it's a liability to play extra colors, so Back to Basics is a dagger in a lot of matchups even when it's not a complete lock. What I've also found is that there are a lot of decks that are built to still function okay under a Blood Moon that are much less functional under Back to Basics, which makes B2B particularly strong, though a lot of those aren't really decks that I'd necessarily sideboard it in for (Sneak and Show, EsperBlade, etc.). And, of course, there are some decks that just can't beat it. I'm just trying to figure out if Back to Basics does enough in the Death and Taxes matchup to not have to splash black to play Dread of Night, if that's a viable strategy that makes the matchup decent, or if I need an actual "Death and Taxes card". I think that we have inevitability over them, since pretty much any time I've drawn a single extra card against Death and Taxes with any other deck it's been an easy win (and if there's one thing this deck does, it's draw cards), but it's just such a played deck. It always feels important to have a great sideboard card for the most popular matchup, even if it's already a good matchup.

The Cloud of Faeries play (along with using Dryad Arbor) is one I found myself making a lot back in the day against Jund and Shardless BUG, back when Liliana of the Veil was one of the most played cards in the format. I'm actually way less worried about the card Diabolic Edict than I was back then, since Liliana was usually a 2-3 of and it was repeatable, whereas Edict, Snapcaster Mage for Edict is kind of scary but also a whole lot of mana and tempo. Part of my goal in testing with Back to Basics is to stop a lot of those shenanigans, or at least making it a play that takes three or four turns to pull off completely, at which point it's pretty irrelevant. A lot like dropping a quick Elephant Grass against RUG Delver, where they can keep attacking, but it slows them down to the point where it's trivial to go off before they can actually kill you. They spend so much time trying to destroy or otherwise managing the Elephant Grass that it's easy to build up Enchantress effects in the mean time, and you hit turn 6 and just pick up the whole board while you're still out of Bolt range. At least that's the theory. But anyway, I'm not really worried about a few Edicts since I kind of build my deck and play it in such a way as to absorb at least the first one. What I lost to against Jund, back when that was still a deck, was heavy discard, plus sweepers, plus Edict effects. It's pretty easy to overcome light disruption, since you're drawing so many cards, but when it's relentless and oppressive, that's when you lose. But again, I haven't had a huge amount of time to test yet, so maybe it's worse than I think it is.

Quote Originally Posted by ParisFlorian
    I play both Enchantress and D&T and I goldfished a lot with the two. In my case Enchantress is really favored, but I guess the Candelabras help a lot to speed up and fight the Ports.

Concerning the blue seal : since a lot of players play Omniscience, I found it totally useless, and it is not in my 75 anymore.
    He literally just told you how to use Seal of Removal to beat Sneak and Show with Omniscience. When it's in the deck, Seal of Removal completely covers a naked Show and Tell for a guy and Seal of Primordium + Seal of Removal seals off both Sneak Attack and Omniscience. But not having Seal of Removal, it makes sense as to why you're struggling against Sneak and Show, since that's one of the very best cards against that deck (along with Reanimator, Gurmag Angler decks, Lands...), and one of the only reasons we can claim a positive matchup against it. I don't know why you'd remove Seal of Removal because you think Omniscience is a problem. The answer is to play more Seal of Primordium, which if you were anywhere near the original list you'd be doing anyway.

Feb 2015
    SF, CA (via London, UK)

He literally just told you how to use Seal of Removal to beat Sneak and Show with Omniscience. When it's in the deck, Seal of Removal completely covers a naked Show and Tell for a guy and Seal of Primordium + Seal of Removal seals off both Sneak Attack and Omniscience. But not having Seal of Removal, it makes sense as to why you're struggling against Sneak and Show, since that's one of the very best cards against that deck (along with Reanimator, Gurmag Angler decks, Lands...), and one of the only reasons we can claim a positive matchup against it. I don't know why you'd remove Seal of Removal because you think Omniscience is a problem. The answer is to play more Seal of Primordium, which if you were anywhere near the original list you'd be doing anyway.
    I don't think SoR is the answer for Florian though since he isn't on CoF anyway. If you are going to play a card that has limited other synergy with your deck, there are better cards to play than SoR, right?

Thread Information