Thread: Top4 split with BUG Control at Pyroblast Legacy Open, Poznan, Poland

Top4 split with BUG Control at Pyroblast Legacy Open, Poznan, Poland

Short report from Pyroblast Legacy Open in Poznan, Poland.

20 players registered for the tournament. Meta turned out to be quite diverse: 3 RUG Delver, 2 Goblins, 2 Reanimators, 2 BUG (mine and standstill), UWb Miracles, Dredge, Omniscience S&T, Ant, Doomsday DDFT, Bant, Stax, RW Painter, NicFit with Rector, (almost)modern infect.

I registered following deck:

4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Dark Confidant
    2 Baleful Strix
    2 Snapcaster Mage

3 Ponder
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    3 Spell Pierce
    4 Abrupt Decay
    3 Thoughtseize
    1 Life from the Loam
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

3 Tropical Island
    2 Bayou
    2 Underground Sea
    2 Island
    1 Swamp
    1 Forest
    2 Wasteland
    4 Misty Rainforest
    2 Polluted Delta
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Flooded Strand

SB: 1 Thoughtseize
    3 Hydroblast/BeB
    4 Pernicious Deed
    1 Darkblast
    1 Life from the Loam
    2 Extirpate
    3 Kitchen Finks

Sorry for any mistakes (both language and with gameplay itself - i didn't take any notes during games).

Round 1: vs RUG Delver
    1st game: We both start with a mulligan. Opponent stalls on lands a bit, while trying to flip delver. I get a fast dark confidant and deathrite shaman online. Finally my opponent finds red mana and bolts my confidant, but I already got nice card advantage. Next turn mainphase brainstorm draws me 2 strixes + decay. In next couple of turns i play both fliers and double abrupt decay on his delver and tarmogoyf and finish the game still at 16 life.

Sideboard: -3 thoughtseize -4 FoW +3 pernicious deed +1 darkblast +3 kitchen finks. I don't like 2-for-1 of FoW in this matchup. I also side out thoughtseize to have all my non-land draws live after a couple of turns. My gameplan is to exchange resources 1-for-1 and race him with my better utility creatures.

2nd game: This time my opponent has better start with first turn delver with upkeep brainstorm to flip it. In my case I start to devlop with shaman and tarmogoyf. Delver takes me to 12 life (with fetches) when I draw and play deed, killing his flipped delver. We develop our board positions some more. At one point he has 2 goyfs and 1/1 nimble mongoose (never having more than 4 cards in his graveyard thanks to shaman) vs my goyf, finks and shaman. I kill one of his goyfs with decay and feel quite comfortable. But turn later my goyf eats submerge in response to a fetch. I block his large (i believe it was 5/6) goyf twice with finks while letting shaman do his work. Finally I manage to ponder/brainstorm into another decay for his goyf and finish the game lavamancing him to death.
    2-0

Round 2: vs Stax
    1st game: Luckily he doesn't open with 1st turn trinisphere, so I am able to play cantrip and thoughtseize him, seeing slow hand (armageddon, lands, smokestack) and discarding baneslayer. I manage to sneak fast tarmogoyf while slowing him down with wasteland. I spell pierce something (i think oblivion ring) and cast dark confidant. It took two more attack phases to finish him off.

Sideboard: -1 shaman -2 baleful strix -1 jitte +3 pernicious deed +1 thoughtseize.

2nd game: My opponent mulligans twice. He told me his 6 card hand was 3 wasteland + 3 land, which would be a nice keep on the play vs my 2 land, double dual, no cantrips hand. His 5-card hand was not spectacular again, with no turn 1 play (i was ready with FoW anyway). I manage to draw a ponder and play 2nd turn confidant. He tries to slow me down with ghostly prison, which I abrupt decay and play thoughtseize, seeing smokestack, mox diamond, oblivion ring, armageddon and another ghostly prison. I discard his oblivion ring. He has some mana troubles and is taking big chunks of damage (from confidant and his ancient tomb) while I am flowing in card advantage from confidant and cantrips. Goyf finishes the job quickly.
    2-0

Round 3: vs Bant
    1st game: My opponent double mulligans (my opponents really liked to mull in this torunament). I know what deck my opponent is playing so I keep quite slow hand (a lot of lands, jitte, confidant and spell pierce), hoping to draw more creatures and win with jitte counters. My plan is looking even better when he opens with turn 1 forest into hierarch, turn 2 green sun zenith for 0, indicating no more lands in hand, so I spell pierce. In my turn I cast confidant as the bait (i don't want to run my jitte into possible FoW), but he doesn't counter. On his turn he topdecks and plays dryad arbor, so my jitte plan is looking even better. My turn I play land and jitte without any opposition. My opponent manages to find fetch and casts his knight, thretening to take over the board. I make a big mistake next turn, equipping jitte to confidant but deciding not to attack into 3/3 knight with summoning sickness (i could use counters to finish off knight and kill arbor or hierarch to stifle his mana). Next turn he plays aven mimeomancer and I need to start acting. I still cannot find any more creatures (despite having active dark confidant for 2 turns + cantripping) so I just swing into his knight and use counters to kill first his mimeomancer and then his arbor. I manage to draw into decay next turn, killing his knight. Unfortunatelly my opponent finds vendilion clique, leaving cards he revealed in my hand (i had loam and lands). He attacks me with clique, dropping me to 6 life. I draw and play brainstorm, finding shaman. Play, equip, go. He draws a card, attacks me with exalted trigger to 2 life, plays land and slams jace on the board (tapping 3 lands + hierarch), hoping to bounce the shaman and keep me off jitte counters. Luckily another card from brainstorm in previous turn was spell pierce. Next turn I swing with shaman, killing both of his creatures with jitte counters and play freshly drawn shaman. He draws some irrelevant cards (some of them are countered by a hard cast FoW), while shamans and jitte take over the game.

Sideboard: I am not sure, I think it was -1 spell pierce, -3 FoW +3 deed +1 darkblast. Similar to RUG game, I don't like 2-for-1 in such grindy matchup, where I play control. I kept 2 pierces for some FoW wars (if he kept them) and 1 FoW to have some hard counter in later stages of the game (using mana to cast it).

2nd game: Was unfortunatelly not a game... He opened with dual go into my double wasteland hand. I managed to stick fast shaman and confidant, while stifling his mana developement with wastelands. Game is over quickly after I play large goyf.
    2-0

Round 4: vs RW painter
    1st game: I keep a nice hand with spell pierce, FoW, strix (to be removed for FoW), confidant and lands. My opponent tries to assemble his combo pieces playing gamble for mystery card (i think he discarded petal from gamble), while I play confidant and start going on the offence, while keeping my counters up at all times. For two consecutive turns I play shamans to help me with the clock, while my opponent plays ensnaring bridge, which I let resolve. During one of his turns he plays enlighted tutor for painter, which I let resolve. Before any grindstone action can occur I use decay to kill it and finish the game 2 turns later, still having massive permission in hand (2 FoW and spell pierce vs his 2 card hand).

Sideboard: -1 life from the loam -1 jitte -2 baleful strix +2 hydroblast +1 blue elemental blast +1 thoughtseize

2nd game: My opponent switches up his gameplan and starts with great furnance into goblin welder. I use BEB in my turn (to dodge pyroblast/reb) to kill it. Next turn he gambles again, discarding mountain, while I manage to find and play confidant. He plays another welder. I decay him, so my confidant can go on the offence. He scrambles to stay in the game, while I play large tarmogoyf. He tutors for ensnaring bridge and plays third welder. I attack him to 8 life. He plays ensnaring bridge, which I spell pierce (despite his welder). He passes the turn. Confidant shows wasteland during my upkeep, but my opponent does not respond. In my main phase I play wasteland and announce that I want to go to attack phase. He tries to use welder on his single artifact in play - great furnance. I wasteland it in response and goyf + confidant are lethal.
    2-0

Round 5: vs BUG Standstill

ID

We played some no sideboard games for fun. Even tho I think this matchup is quite bad for me I managed to squeeze 2 wins (I think it ended 2-2 or 2-3). One game I managed to go past 2 standstills, 2 lilianas, 1 jace + massive amount of removal to finally kill him with huge 7/8 goyf. We still don't know how this happened. Second win was me playing shaman and topdecking 3 goyfs in 4 draw steps (to go with 4th goyf in my opening hand). My opponent doesn't play deed in the maindeck, so this draw was unbeatable ~~
    The games i lost involved me getting beaten by 2 mishra's factories, while staring at a hand of 2 abrupt decays and thoughtseize. Another one was finished by quite quick loam + wasteland lock by my opponent and brainstorm revealing no more lands in next 2 draws, so i scooped.
    I think this matchup gets better for me after sideboard, where i can remove some useless cards (decay, jitte, maybe strix) and side in some more controlish/resilent elements (loam, extirpate, maybe finks vs his edict effects). It's one of the matchups i would really like PWs and manlands in my deck (to kill his PWs with).

We decided to split in top4. Top 4 was:
    1st BUG
    2nd BUG standstill
    3rd Doomsday DDFT
    4th Bant (round 3 opponent)

Thanks for reading!

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Re: Top4 split with BUG Control at Pyroblast Legacy Open, Poznan, Poland

If I may ask, Why do you not run Jace/Liliana?
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Re: Top4 split with BUG Control at Pyroblast Legacy Open, Poznan, Poland

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    If I may ask, Why do you not run Jace/Liliana?
    I am really struggling to find spots for planewalkers in my build. I am planning to test 2 jaces in place of 1 jitte and 1 more card (maybe deathrite shaman or ponder?). I would hate to drop all ponders for 2 reasons. First i would put more expensive spells in their place, and i am running only 21 lands. Probably I would have to up land count a bit to make up for that. And 2nd problem - i love ponders at the beginning of the game, allowing me to be more interactive, drawing discard/permission/removal/threats. But lategame ponders are obviously eclipsed by usefullness of jace, so i am not really sure.

I think the main decission is 4 confidants main or not. I am quite glad with confidants for now in my meta, so i am sure i will keep running creature heavy list with confidants. If you drop confidants, jitte, and adjust your creature base/removal package, you can easily fit standard 3 jace + 2 liliana + 1-2 more lands. There is a really nice creatures+PWs list by catmint at Team America thread:

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...l=1#post687758

Thread Information