Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seattle Nov-18th-2012 Tournament report from 1st place, High tide!

Dec 2011
    USA

Re: Seattle Nov-18th-2012 Tournament report from 1st place, High tide!

Rarely, I prefer having 1 as a wish target, but against opposing counterspell decks, I bring in the other 3 pact of negations & usually board out the snap / wipe away most of the time, as well as 1 high tide just in case they are running surgical extraction, since any deck can do it.
    Primary legacy deck High Tide primer

Apr 2012
    Manila, Philippines

Hey just noticed that on your last game against Junk you could have played a land drop for the going of turn. Not that it matters because you killed him but it still an advantage :) What do you do against the Miracle matchup? In terms of sideboarding? God that deck owned me on Cockatrice lol

Dec 2011
    USA

I suppose when I don't have a land to drop the turn I start going off, then I get a land later, it's easy to forget about a land drop, but thank you, I will note that and try to remember if I dropped a land or not approaching going off so I don't miss one.

Against the U/W miracle deck I got lucky, they never, ever drew a counterbalance, admitted to me they were newer at the format, and said they never played against high tide or knew how to play against it. Sideboarding I took out 1 high tide (I do that against any deck because any deck can run surgicals) & I took out the snap since it was pointless, bringing in 2 pact of negation's.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

My friend was greasing me on Facebook for not taking a High Tide with my Thoughtseize in Game 2, in case I ever drew a Surgical. However, I know you were going to board one out so you weren't completely hosed, so I figured taking one of the two High Tides wasn't worth it. Thoughts?

-Matt

Dec 2011
    USA

Well you have a point there, it meant that I would have had to Cunning wish for it, & since I had 2 High tides & a Cunning wish in my opening hand, I can see why I was made to discard the candelabra. If I was going against high tide and I did a discard on them and saw that, it would feel kinda pointless to make them discard a high tide unless I knew I could make them discard the other one the following turn. The argument for "put a high tide in their graveyard to have the option to extract it" only works if you also get the extraction. I could go back and forth on it a bunch of times, both routes make sense, and there's no way to predict what you'd draw the following turns either. It's hard for me to compare either play option and say one is better than the other because they both make sense in their own right for their own reasons. Sorry if that doesn't help, it's just how I feel about it, depending on how one looks at it, both are right.

congrats on your win! i hope more players pick up hightide :-)

Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    My friend was greasing me on Facebook for not taking a High Tide with my Thoughtseize in Game 2, in case I ever drew a Surgical. However, I know you were going to board one out so you weren't completely hosed, so I figured taking one of the two High Tides wasn't worth it. Thoughts?

-Matt
    If you had taken one, Surgical later on grabs the other one she's still holding. It doesn't completely win outright but it makes Surgical at least card parity.

Thread Information