Thread: Cook’s Kitchen – Disconnected

Bryant Cook

Cook’s Kitchen – Disconnected

Cook’s Kitchen – Disconnected

More of a generic magic article than Legacy, but you'll live.

Re: Cook’s Kitchen – Disconnected

You lost me when you started talking about standard.

But, there are other options besides boot camp and parallels. Virtual Box is similar to Parallels, except it is available for free (you still need a windows license). And you don't need to split your hard drive in half, for boot camp or a VM. You only need about 20gb for Windows itself, so you could easily get away with allocating 30-40gb for the Windows partition.

Another option is Wine it allows you to run Windows applications without an entire virtual machine. I believe the current release client of MTGO doesn't work with Wine, but the beta client may.

Zach

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

Corporate America likes their PC's.

Last place I worked had only two MAC computers. Those were for people with CS5 for pagination, photography or video.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    My love for Valakut knows no bounds. It mise well read:
    Land - Super Duper Mountain
    When you play a land, LIGHTNING BOLT!
    Quote Originally Posted by EpicLevelCommoner View Post
    Strange as it may seem, this deck seems like the best place for Ruhan of the Fomori. A 7/7 with the right equipment will end games nightmarishly quick, and it comes with the perk of being blue to pitch to Force of Will if you draw into extra copies. And it wouldn't be too hard to protect him in counter-heavy build.
    Follow me on Twitter @RaNDoMxGeSTuReS

Quote Originally Posted by zeagle View Post
    Another option is Wine it allows you to run Windows applications without an entire virtual machine. I believe the current release client of MTGO doesn't work with Wine, but the beta client may.
    Wine isn't very reliable. It's great if you want a free (or cheap, if you get one of the commercial versions like CrossOver:Mac) way to use the more simple Windows programs, but the issue is that because it's made up of its own code rather than even being a legitimate emulation (it even stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator), it runs into problems a lot more easily and I wouldn't recommend using it for anything other than more simple programs. The main way I use it is just to play I Wanna Be The Guy or Eversion.

And yeah, I did try using Magic Online through it. It was able to get installed through Wine (though it took a little finagling), but it wouldn't run once installed.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Believe me, I tried pretty much any and every possible solution für running MODO on my MacBook. The only ones that reliably delivered where BootCamp and Parallels. BootCamp is a no-brainer, it's pretty easy to install and just works. The only thing you might need is to install a certain version of Frameworks (3.5, I believe, but could be sth. else). Parallels however is much more comfortable as it doesn't require to boot into a different OS. The downside is that you are just using 50% (or whatever you specify) of your RAM when using Parallels, but that doesn't really do any harm to MODO.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

I have 3 macs that I use at home for work 1 render box, 1 Mac Pro with 12cores and 64gb of ram, and a retina macbook pro to work when I travel. NONE of my computers can run the wide beta client under parallels. Its a bummer, every time I hit restart to play modo I think, 'come on make a freaking mac client....'
    westcoast degeneracy

Thread Information