Thread: UW DelverBlade

UW DelverBlade

Hello guys, my name is Michael, i'm from Brazil and i'm kinda new in the forum. (sorry for the bad english)

Recently i was playing UR Delver and was having a lot of fun, but i noticied that my post sideboard plan was pretty shi*ty.

Thinking on this i started serching for new decks for our insect. (I don't have Tamorgoyfs and don't want to, so, no RUG)

Since then, i was thinking on what other colour could replace Red, then i get the idea of a UW Delver (a.k.a UW Fish), inspired on SOM/M12/ISD T2 decklists.
    Whoa, this is a great idea! White have the best removals of Legacy (STP/PTE), the most feared CC2 drop (Stoneforge Mystic) and gives you access to Geist of Saint Traft, a Hexproof beater that can easly put life totals to 0 in 3-4 turns, besides of the excelent sideboard cards.

Then you ask: "Why not add a third color to our list?" -MANABASE.
    It's all about the manabase. With the field full of wastelands, a deck that can go the basics plan have a advantage for sure, and our colours offers all that we can ask for.

Then, let's go to the list:

4 Flooded Strand
    4 Island
    2 Plains
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Tundra

3 Snapcaster Mage
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Geist of Saint Traft

4 Force of Will
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Daze
    4 Path to Exile
    1 Batterskull
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    2 Spell Pierce
    3 Spell Snare

Card Choices:

Delver of Secrets : The name-sake of the deck. A mana eficient beater (U 3/2 flying). Must.
    Stoneforge Mystic : The best White 2CC drop on the format. A turn 2 Stoneforge into Batterskull with backup can end games pretty quickly.
    Snapcaster Mage : Do you like your spells? How about playing them again from your GY? Snapcaster is the best 2CC in blue (or can i say in the game?).
    Geist of Saint Traft : A powerhouse against nowdays field, replete of Abrupt Decays, Lightning Bolts, and Swords to Plowshares. It's our Ace in the hole.

Brainstorm : needs explanation? Must.
    Ponder : with delver on deck, we need a lot of cantrips.
    Spell Pierce : Our all-star couter, that can save you from that Entreat the Angels or an JTMS.
    Spell Snare : Counters Bob (Dark Confidant), enemy Stoneforge Mystic, Snapcaster Mage and Tamorgoyfs. Don't know why people stopped playing this.
    Force of Will : An evil needed while combo it's out there.
    Daze : The psychological counter. Our best response on that turn 1 removal from enemy. Must.
    Path to Exile : As we are at a Tempo strategy, we can't let our enemy gain life, and PTE is our best removal after Swords to Plowshares.

Batterskull : The best target for Stoneforge Mystic. When this stick on the table, you are in a very good spot.
    Umezawa's Jitte : With so many efficent creatures, our beloved Betrayers of Kamigawa's equipment can't be left out.

Similar lists have done pretty well out there:
    http://www.thecouncil.es/tcdecks/dec...2&iddeck=70045
    http://www.thecouncil.es/tcdecks/dec...7&iddeck=66613
    http://www.thecouncil.es/tcdecks/dec...9&iddeck=56696
    http://www.thecouncil.es/tcdecks/dec...2&iddeck=62911
    http://www.thecouncil.es/tcdecks/dec...3&iddeck=63671

Now guys i want your help, feel free to comment at any of the deck aspects.
    Thank you for reading.

Oct 2007
    Berlin, Germany

Re: UW DelverBlade

Daze + PtE = suboptimal.

The rest looks okay, though 3 Snare is strange.
    Did you consider Clique and Jace?

Quote Originally Posted by klaus View Post
    Daze + PtE = suboptimal.

The rest looks okay, though 3 Snare is strange.
    Did you consider Clique and Jace?
    i know that Daze + PtE is kinda suboptimal, but is necessary as StP is counterproductive with tempo strategy. but legacy decks run a low or 0 count of basics. isn't always bad.
    Clique and Jace i already considered but with such an low land count (Rarely hitting the 4+ land) isn't as good as you think. Jace can be 1-of in some spot, but we miss slots form him and Clique.

thanks for the comment!

Aug 2011
    Italy

I was following this deck's results on mtgdecks.net and was surprised at the little to none attention it took here on the Source. We already have a UW Tempo thread (mostly dead) and the decklists being discussed were a little different than this. I know it was performing well about 4 months ago and Geist of Saint Traft is the real power of this deck. You can try the existing UW Tempo thread. I'd be interested in a discussion comparing UW Tempo and recent BUG Deathrite lists.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Im pretty sure GP ATL the second place deck was UW Delver with Vapor Snag as a 4 of (when reanimator was huge)
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by bilb_o View Post
    I was following this deck's results on mtgdecks.net and was surprised at the little to none attention it took here on the Source. We already have a UW Tempo thread (mostly dead) and the decklists being discussed were a little different than this. I know it was performing well about 4 months ago and Geist of Saint Traft is the real power of this deck. You can try the existing UW Tempo thread. I'd be interested in a discussion comparing UW Tempo and recent BUG Deathrite lists.
    Me too, i always look in the Blade Control/UW Tempo for comments about this deck and none noticied it.
    Because of the "almost dead" state of the Thread and the lists aroud there that i created this new one, focused more on Delver/Geist lists.

About BUG matchup, can be problematic if you dont put pressure soon.
    This new kind of Tempo-Control deck that have the tools for pressure you on early, mid and late game have a good match with almost all of the field.
    His weakness is that almost 100% of his threats are creatures, then, if you take care of them properly you are in a good shape.
    My advice is to bring some gy hate in form of Relic of Progenitus, to keep their goyfs weak, snaps out of targets and deathrite shamans offline.
    If you want, you can bring Misdirections for their abrupt decays.

if someone already played this matchup, put your records here to further information.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Im pretty sure GP ATL the second place deck was UW Delver with Vapor Snag as a 4 of (when reanimator was huge)
    speaking of the devil:

4th Place at GP Atlanta 2012
    Fred Edelkamp - UW VaporBlade

4 Flooded Strand
    2 Glacial Fortress
    3 Island
    1 Karakas
    4 Misty Rainforest
    1 Plains
    4 Tundra

4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Geist of Saint Traft
    2 Snapcaster Mage
    4 Stoneforge Mystic

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Daze
    4 Force of Will
    4 Path to Exile
    4 Vapor Snag

1 Batterskull
    1 Sword of Feast and Famine
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

//Sideboard
    SB: 2 Echoing Truth
    SB: 3 Jötun Grunt
    SB: 1 Oblivion Ring
    SB: 4 Spell Pierce
    SB: 3 Submerge
    SB: 2 Surgical Extraction

I will test this list on weekend and come here with some results.
    Last edited by maiko1993; 12-11-2012 at 06:40 PM. Reason: dodging double post

hello guys,
    I've tested the list above and its pretty strong, Vapor Snag is absurd against creture decks, and Snapcaster Mage recasting is nuts.
    won against Junk, Goblins and Elves, but losed against Sneak 'n Show and BG Veteran Explorer.

as here in my LGS we are going to play a tournament tomorrow i want some SB advices to fight against combo and some late game strategies like this BG Nic Fit and Controls.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Against snt you pribably either want more counters or more o ring style effects. As for Nic Fit they have trouble dealing with planeswalkers. Play Elspeth. They dont have fliers so jumping a geist of saint traft is big game vs them
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

I try to stay in the UW tempo thread as much as possible!I would be happy to move this conversation to that thread!
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

hello guys, i got a 7th place out of 20 players in a tournament at my LGS with this list:

4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Island
    2 Misty Rainforest
    2 Arid Mesa
    2 Plains
    1 Tundra
    3 Hallowed Fountain
    1 Academy Ruins

4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Geist of Saint Traft
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    4 Stoneforge Mystic

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Daze
    4 Force of Will
    4 Path to Exile
    4 Vapor Snag

1 Batterskull
    1 Sword of Feast and Famine
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

//Sideboard
    SB: 1 Supreme Verdict
    SB: 1 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
    SB: 2 Disenchant
    SB: 3 Detention Sphere
    SB: 3 Spell Pierce
    SB: 2 Submerge
    SB: 3 Surgical Extraction

GAMES:
    Round 1: Merfolks 1-1
    Round 2: Goblins 0-2
    Round 3: WW 2-0
    Round 4: EsperStoneblade 1-1
    Round 5: Bye

Merfloks and Stoneblade were controlled but time ran out.
    Did many missplays with goblins and losed control.
    WW was crushed by Geist and Jitte.

my impressions on the deck:
    MD:
    Suboptimal manabase: short on money to buy Tundras and Flooded Strands now. =/
    1x Academy Ruins: Abrupt Decay smash my SoFaF and i need it to stand a chance with Geist.
    4x Vapor Snag: When you use it, you will notice that the 1 dmg really matters, and bouncig tokens is godly.

SB:
    1x Supreme Verdict: boarded it against goblins and merfolk, and was very good, thinking in increasing to 2.

in general, the deck performed very well, more training with the list and some tweaks can improve future results.
    needs more testing to know what version perform better, probably next tournament will be at january and i go with the list without Vapor Snag.

About moving the topic to UW Tempo or whatever, i think that there you can discuss many types of UW Tempo lists and here i want a more focused discussion to delver.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

aren't geist and mystic occupying the same slot in the deck? They are both the hard to kill beater that is grossly undercosted.

I would cut geist and add more instants along the lines of counters or controls.

I feel that spell pierce should be main as an additional way to protect you super cheap beaters while they get the job done.

Geist is significantly more aggressive than Mystic is. If you're trying to beat down, I imagine Mystic for Sword or Jitte is better than Mystic for Batterskull unless they are trying to race you.

That said, Mystic for equipment - and equipment in general - seem rather awkward in a tempo deck.

Of course both of them are beaters super undercosted, but, Geist dont win alone, you need to prepare a table for him, and Mystic can blow out games, some times people just scoop to turn 3 Batterskull.
    Many times i board Batterskull and 1 Mystic to more SB cards, because tutoring equipments and giving you a body is something.
    With this, i can save my cantrips for lands, delver flips, or to find PtEs and Snags.
    Thank you for the comments, lets keep the thread on top!

Don't get me wrong, I love G.O.S.T. but 4x just seems sooooo wrong. You could be running a ton of different cards in that 2x space (you are running 4x brainstorm and 4x ponder) maybe some Serra Avengers or V. Clique.
    Quote Originally Posted by thefringthing View Post
    baghdadbob, you're Team Scrubbad's spirit animal.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

I think any deck that can play clique and karakas for real should play them both.

Site Contributor
    Aug 2006
    Arizona

I had a different take on the UW Delver deck, here's a list I ran a month ago and won a local event with:

Creatures
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 Geist of Saint Traft

Spells
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Temporal Mastery
    4 Chrome Mox
    1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    3 Spell Pierce
    3 Vapor Snag
    3 Path to Exile
    1 Dismember
    2 Daze
    1 Batterskull
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Ensnare

Lands
    4 Flooded Strand
    2 Polluted Delta
    1 Scalding Tarn
    1 Arid Mesa
    4 Tundra
    3 Island
    1 Plains
    1 Karakas

Sideboard
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    2 Detention Sphere
    2 Vendilion Clique
    1 Terminus
    1 Supreme Verdict
    2 Rest in Peace
    4 Force of Will
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 (Don't remember this card)

The numbers are still a bit off (couldn't find a couple of cards to round out the numbers, but I was experimenting anyway), but Temporal Mastery and Chrome Mox make the deck much, much faster. Turn 1 Mystic or Turn 2 Geist is very difficult for many decks to answer. A turn 1 Mystic would put decks on the control route very fast and oftentimes they don't have the resources to deal with it. Turn 2 Geist is also very similar, and with Karakas it's tough for Miracles to answer. Ensnare is also just super big game, making all of your guys unblockable. Temporal Mastery is absolutely sweet in the deck, since it'll pitch to Chrome Mox if you can't miracle it, but also, it's very good with Delver and Geist of Saint Traft.
    Magic: the Gathering players in Arizona, click here!
    @mtgtwin1 on Twitter
    3 SCG Open Top 8s
    GP Denver 2013 Top 64
    GP NJ 2014 110th/4001
    AZMagicPlayers.com Legacy Series Tournament Organizer
    Random Brews/Decks Galore!

Quote Originally Posted by baghdadbob View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I love G.O.S.T. but 4x just seems sooooo wrong. You could be running a ton of different cards in that 2x space (you are running 4x brainstorm and 4x ponder) maybe some Serra Avengers or V. Clique.
    While i was just searching for info about this deck, the 4x Geist seemed wrong for me too. But, when you play with them on the aggro route, often you lose him to combat tricks from your opponent, but the Angel took 4 life from him, and with another Geist already in your hand, is very very good. And don't forget that him is a very good discard to FoW

Quote Originally Posted by lavafrogg View Post
    I think any deck that can play clique and karakas for real should play them both.
    I Was tring to put some V. Cliques in the list but failed to find room for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziveeman View Post
    I had a different take on the UW Delver deck, here's a list I ran a month ago and won a local event with:

Creatures
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 Geist of Saint Traft

Spells
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Temporal Mastery
    4 Chrome Mox
    1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    3 Spell Pierce
    3 Vapor Snag
    3 Path to Exile
    1 Dismember
    2 Daze
    1 Batterskull
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Ensnare

Lands
    4 Flooded Strand
    2 Polluted Delta
    1 Scalding Tarn
    1 Arid Mesa
    4 Tundra
    3 Island
    1 Plains
    1 Karakas

Sideboard
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    2 Detention Sphere
    2 Vendilion Clique
    1 Terminus
    1 Supreme Verdict
    2 Rest in Peace
    4 Force of Will
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 (Don't remember this card)

The numbers are still a bit off (couldn't find a couple of cards to round out the numbers, but I was experimenting anyway), but Temporal Mastery and Chrome Mox make the deck much, much faster. Turn 1 Mystic or Turn 2 Geist is very difficult for many decks to answer. A turn 1 Mystic would put decks on the control route very fast and oftentimes they don't have the resources to deal with it. Turn 2 Geist is also very similar, and with Karakas it's tough for Miracles to answer. Ensnare is also just super big game, making all of your guys unblockable. Temporal Mastery is absolutely sweet in the deck, since it'll pitch to Chrome Mox if you can't miracle it, but also, it's very good with Delver and Geist of Saint Traft.
    Very good route on DelverBlade, but as much as you tell me that Temporal Mastery is good i always will think the oposite.

tell us more about your list and what you would change after the tournament.

Thread Information