Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Article] Rocking Junk: Why you do not need Blue to win in Legacy

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

[Article] Rocking Junk: Why you do not need Blue to win in Legacy

Greetings all.

I just wanted to talk a little bit about Junk and why it may be a choice to think about in Legacy at the moment.

Thoughts? Comments? Post here!

http://www.eternalcentral.com/?p=3385

-Matt

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Re: [Article] Rocking Junk: Why you do not need Blue to win in Legacy

Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    Greetings all.

I just wanted to talk a little bit about Junk and why it may be a choice to think about in Legacy at the moment.

-Matt
    Nice article, but not the best thing you ever wrote: that would be in my signature.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Why you don't need blue to win in Legacy: A story of second place losing to a mono blue deck.

Sorry, I had to say it. I agree with your article other than the result

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

That's part of the irony, but variance is variance. I'm not sweating it too much. Also, sorry the article is a bit of a read.

-Matt

An enjoyable read, this is very helpful as I am considering selling my RUG Delver and moving onto the Rock.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    Why you don't need blue to win in Legacy: A story of second place losing to a mono blue deck.

Sorry, I had to say it. I agree with your article other than the result
    Recently, I placed second at the StarCityGames Legacy Open in Seattle (WA, USA) playing a deck without Force of Will, Brainstorm, and Counterspells. This high finish is just one example of how much variety that can exist, as well as succeed, in the format.
    I really enjoy the alternate emphasis that can be read in this line.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Alternatively: "Why you don't need Blue to win in Legacy: you just need all the best cards from the other colors combined"

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

I love the article but do not like how you treat my girl Lilliana!
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

I really enjoyed this article. I like long, in-depth explanations of card choices because I'm a Junk neophyte, so the article length didn't bother me. I'm not really a fan of Garruk Relentless but you made a strong case for his inclusion, even as a 61st card. When is part two coming out?
    "We are goblinkind, heirs to the mountain empires of chieftains past. Rest is death to us, and arson is our call to war."

Don't ping the hydra
    May 2007
    Spain

The title of this article sounds too much like "Don't let the truth ruin a good story". I'll read it because I like Junk decks, but even if you had won that match, statistically blue would still be THE color to play to win a legacy tournament.
    Please stop talking about whether Force of Will is broken or not. It obviously is, and rather than "the glue that holds vintage together" it would be better to call it "the rug under which you hide the filth until there's so much that you can no longer conceal it".

It's my understanding that WOTC created another entire eternal format for people who do not like to play against blue.

It is an option instead of playing a Junk deck.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by zendo View Post
    It's my understanding that WOTC created another entire eternal format for people who do not like to play against blue.

It is an option instead of playing a Junk deck.
    If this is directed at me, I'm not sure if you understood the point of the article. The article was not an article crying over Blue's dominance, I'm saying that this is quite the opposite, as shown with this deck.

I'm not even going to talk about Modern.

@ Part Two

I'm hoping to have Part 2 out prior to Christmas, but no promises. It'll definitely be before GP Denver, and I'll probably talk about what you should/could be playing, and what to watch out for. Would there be interested in that?

-Matt

If this is directed at me, I'm not sure if you understood the point of the article. The article was not an article crying over Blue's dominance, I'm saying that this is quite the opposite, as shown with this deck.
    My aplogies. No it was not directed at you, more of a general observation that I felt compelled to vocalize. I did enjoy the article, and found it very usefull. I tend to maintain at least two legacy decks at a time; one with blue, and one without. (currently blade control and nic fit). Although I do favor blue, sitting on the other end of that threat is an enjoyable challenge.

I look forward to part two, and will hopefully have constructive input.

Psycho Crusher
    Jan 2010
    The 'Jing

Solidly written.

This made me chuckle:

Quote Originally Posted by HammerAndSickled View Post
    Alternatively: "Why you don't need Blue to win in Legacy: you just need all the best cards from the other colors combined"
    A book about the dark side of Legacy: "Magic: The Addiction" // Conversations with Magic players: "Humans of Magic"

neatly describing the last 3 years of Legacy beautifully.

except for the past few months it's more like a blue deck losing to another blue deck. And the occasional non-Brainstorm deck making a cursory appearance in a top 8.

People have this need to bullshit about this, too. It's OK, just admit that the color wheel is complete garbage when it comes to balanced game design, and move on. There's nothing wrong with enjoying such a scenario, there's just something wrong with being in denial.
    Nowhere do you see: Efficient Answers to Other Cards. Force and MMS will never be banned. Deal.
    Bardo, Site Admin

Good work! Well written, informative and well argued. The article really helps understanding the intricacies that go into building a solid Junk/Aggro-Rock style deck. I particularly enjoyed the discussion on Sylvan/Top and Dark Confidant as tools to keep up with blue library manipulation (and I wholeheartedly agree, for what it's worth). I'm still ways off actually playing a deck like this - far too much jamming of guys into the red zone ;p - but you show that the power level definitely is there for those whose leanings are different.
    I don't have low self-esteem, I have low esteem for everyone else. -Daria

Proud member of Team CAB
    High Priest of the Church of BLA

CAB JaceTM

My articles

Greetings all.

-Matt
    Summary:

Deathrite Shaman
    Abrupt Decay

I have some oppositions to the article, but that may be because I'm an excessively critical reader. If you'd like more detailed feedback I could type something out, but for the most part it's fine as-is.

The deck looks pretty cool though.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    I have some oppositions to the article, but that may be because I'm an excessively critical reader. If you'd like more detailed feedback I could type something out, but for the most part it's fine as-is.

The deck looks pretty cool though.
    You could PM me your critique if you so desired.

-Matt

Dec 2003
    Seattle

Well done sir. We've been developing a near identical list with success here in Seattle.

The only nitpicks I have is not maxing out on Decay, GSZ, and possibly Shaman. I value consistency over all else, and prefer my main deck to be streamlined with answers in the board for more flexibility once we know our opponent. We are also running main deck Teeg and Sylvan Safekeeper. You can also have a better board with ETutor package.
    Calls for banning are almost always the scrubs way out. Real men view a challenge as something to overcome, a puzzle to solve, an opportunity to be had, and the source of evolution.

Thread Information