Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 4-Color Deathrite Shaman

Re: 4-Color Deathrite Shaman

I have been trying this deck and for the life of me I can not find a way to beat Enchantress with any of these lists. This deck is just plain cold dead to any decent Enchantress draw.[/QUOTE]

Dont let this deck die. Im a maverick player and I just turned my deck into the spagnolo bugw maverick. Is the overall 4 color theme too clunky to be able to sustain its top tier status?
    Btw... i was thinking...whats the kotr for in the spagnolo list? Isnt an sfm package better for the control them?

Quote Originally Posted by IL_casual View Post

Dont let this deck die. Im a maverick player and I just turned my deck into the spagnolo bugw maverick. Is the overall 4 color theme too clunky to be able to sustain its top tier status?
    Btw... i was thinking...whats the kotr for in the spagnolo list? Isnt an sfm package better for the control them?
    I'm not letting it, the format is killing it. If the deck can't survive in the format then it deserves to die. Right now everyone is still trying to figure out how to cope with BBE and Jund. Jund is a damn nightmare IMO. I put away my CAB Jace list finally because of BBE. IMO Cascade is the most broken mechanic that is legal in Legacy today. Storm is beatable, but Jund is strong against everything that doesn't play White essentially.

If you want to win with a green deck in Legacy, play Jund/Junk. There are no other green decks worth playing IMO. Not even Elves is good enough right now. If you want to win with Blue, it's either one of the Tempo decks with Stifle and Wasteland or Miracles. Nothing else really has good game against Jund right now. This is if you want to win consistently, otherwise play whatever you want.

Quote Originally Posted by NidStyles View Post
    I'm not letting it, the format is killing it. If the deck can't survive in the format then it deserves to die. Right now everyone is still trying to figure out how to cope with BBE and Jund. Jund is a damn nightmare IMO. I put away my CAB Jace list finally because of BBE. IMO Cascade is the most broken mechanic that is legal in Legacy today. Storm is beatable, but Jund is strong against everything that doesn't play White essentially.

If you want to win with a green deck in Legacy, play Jund/Junk. There are no other green decks worth playing IMO. Not even Elves is good enough right now. If you want to win with Blue, it's either one of the Tempo decks with Stifle and Wasteland or Miracles. Nothing else really has good game against Jund right now. This is if you want to win consistently, otherwise play whatever you want.
    What happened with jund that made it into the powerhouse that is now? Abrupt decays and shamans?
    Most of the players in my meta still use the bug version and jund still hasnt impacted our meta yet.
    Id like to ask why they even bothered trying on a 4 color deck when they know they are more vulnerable to mona screws?
    Last edited by IL_casual; 02-11-2013 at 08:48 AM.

What happened with jund that made it into the powerhouse that is now? Abrupt decays and shamans?
    Most of the players in my meta still use the bug version and jund still hasnt impacted our meta yet.
    Id like to ask why they even bothered trying on a 4 color deck when they know they are more vulnerable to mona screws?
    People actually started working on it, that's what happened. The potential was always there, the addition of new tools really helped put it over the top. I would say primarily Deathrite Shaman.

4-colors is just one of those it seems like it would be really good until your mana-base gets stomped on. If the Meta looks like Wasteland and Stifle will not be predominant, I would run 4-colors. Everyone is trying to fight Jund and Junk right now, so that means Wasteland and Stifle are really good right now.

are there any new updates regarding 4 color deathrite? I adjusted my deck by adding 4 noble heirarchs to the deck so i have 8 mana dorks to the esperblade setup so even if i get manascrwwed by wastelands..i can still generate mana.

Sep 2011
    Honolulu, HI

Quote Originally Posted by NidStyles View Post
    Yeah that is what I am thinking, it's mana-base is beyond shaky. Experienced Legacy players know how to attack it just as easily as the old 4-color Thresh decks.

I have been trying this deck and for the life of me I can not find a way to beat Enchantress with any of these lists. This deck is just plain cold dead to any decent Enchantress draw.
    How often do you play against Enchantress? Bring in your counter magic, bring in your Engineered Explosives and Pulse, side out your targeted removal. I beat Enchantress a fair amount. We have to hit an early clock. Bring in Engineered Plague and name "Druid." I pack Surgicals because if you can remove either of their draw engines, you are way ahead.

are there any new updates regarding 4 color deathrite? I adjusted my deck by adding 4 noble heirarchs to the deck so i have 8 mana dorks to the esperblade setup so even if i get manascrwwed by wastelands..i can still generate mana.
    I have a 3-month old daughter (my first). I'm in my final semester of law school. I started playing less Magic. When I was playing, I played Esper. I haven't been keeping up with the boards or play-testing. The deck is still viable, but it thrives in a combo/control environment. As long as other aggro and mid-range decks, like Jund, are dominant, this deck is going to struggle.

Spanno's version was tuned for a very specific meta, the SCG Invitational. If you look at those lists, there are lots of planeswalkers. The SCG Invitational meta is atypical to what is expected at other Legacy tournaments.
    "Never argue with a fool, people might not know the difference."

Placed 3rd on our lsg. It seems that as long as you have your mana in check or deathrite is in play vs the wasteland decks, youre ok.heres my decklist.

4 deathrite shaman
    4 noble heirarch
    4 brainstorm
    3 lingering souls
    2 cabal therapy(awesome synergy with l.souls)
    2 inquisition to kozilek.
    4 stoneforge mystic
    1 batterskull
    1 sofaf
    1 jitte
    1 sylvan library
    1 life from the loam
    3 swords to plowshares
    3 abrupt decay
    3 jace the mind sculptor

3 wasteland
    3 savannah
    1 scrubland
    2 underground sea
    2 bayou
    2 tropical island
    3 windswept
    1 polluted delta
    1 marsh flats
    4 verdant catacombs
    1 karakas

Sb
    3 spell pierce
    2 inquisition kozilek
    1 cabal therapy
    3 engineered plague
    1 circle of protection red
    1 swords to plowshares
    1 nihil spellbomb
    2 surgical extraction
    1 engineered explosives

Comments on my deck would be much appreciated. Thanks!!!

Sep 2011
    Honolulu, HI

Comments on your deck:
    I would probably drop to 3 SFM and/or move 1 equipment to the sideboard.

Have you considered running Intuition? LftL, Lingering Souls, Cabal Therapy - you have lots of options. It is also good with Deathrite. You can also do Academy Ruins / EE / LftL, but I think that Academy is way too cute in a 4c deck.

How do you like Noble Hierarch?

How do you find your singleton COP: Red in your sideboard? Luck?

Do you miss Ponder?

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Wizard View Post
    Comments on your deck:
    I would probably drop to 3 SFM and/or move 1 equipment to the sideboard.

Have you considered running Intuition? LftL, Lingering Souls, Cabal Therapy - you have lots of options. It is also good with Deathrite. You can also do Academy Ruins / EE / LftL, but I think that Academy is way too cute in a 4c deck.

How do you like Noble Hierarch?

How do you find your singleton COP: Red in your sideboard? Luck?

Do you miss Ponder?
    I plan on getting 1 snapcast or intuition for the mb and move the sofaf to the sb. I thought about dropping the sfm to 3 but after seeing most esperblade decks MB the sfm set, i opted to keep the set mb for faster access to jitte or batterskull.

Noble heirarch is great! This enables me to cast a t2 lingering soul for (cabal fodder/jace defender). I didnt have a game where i boarded out the nobles. Its either board out the removals for the combo decks or board out the disruption for the aggro.

My only loss was to a 12pt price of progress in g2 r1 and another 10 hit price of progress + fireblast for lethal. I really have a hard time fighting off those pesky burn decks, also a big problem for the bug decks.

Im thinking of adding 2 enlightened tutors to help me fetch my enchantments faster but i realized id rather add 1 more cop red if the meta turns into red burn.

I think that as long as the deck holds a steady supply of mana then its able to face a large variety of decks even at game 1.

Thoughts?")

Sep 2011
    Honolulu, HI

I think that this deck does very well against combo and control. It does not do so well against mid-range decks like Jund.

What kind of decks did you play against? Burn and what else?

If you are playing against Price of Progress, you should probably hold back your lands and only play 2-3 non-basics on the board. You can use your Wastelands to destroy your own lands if a Price to Progress is cast. Rely on your mana dorks to power you through the game.

Blue Elemental Blast / Hydroblast might be worth a shot. These cards can also help against goblins and certain types of storm.

Geist of St. Traft is very good vs. control.

I did one better, I stopped playing this deck. It's too shakey and unreliable.

It's bad enough that there isn't a real way to solve the Jund Matchup in the format, I don't want to have to deal with playing a bad deck as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Wizard View Post
    I think that this deck does very well against combo and control. It does not do so well against mid-range decks like Jund.

What kind of decks did you play against? Burn and what else?

If you are playing against Price of Progress, you should probably hold back your lands and only play 2-3 non-basics on the board. You can use your Wastelands to destroy your own lands if a Price to Progress is cast. Rely on your mana dorks to power you through the game.

Blue Elemental Blast / Hydroblast might be worth a shot. These cards can also help against goblins and certain types of storm.

Geist of St. Traft is very good vs. control.
    I fought a show and tell deck( discard and sb spell pierces can really slow him down.) Altho I did lost game 3 on a turn 1 omniscience(that sucks).

Fighting goblins is tricky game 1 because you really have to manage your life until lingering souls and batterskull can come online.by game 2, unless they prepare for an engineered plague, they could be in for a tough game 2.

High tide(no candles) : game :epic turn 1 win for me! Cabal therapy naming cabal...got 1 from his hand. Follow that up with a surgical extraction naming high tide...GG!

Death and taxes: This one was a pretty hard matchup since most of his cards can be really" "taxing". Game 1 he managed to land thalia and suppression field. I really couldnt do much after that since even saccing my fetches need 2 mana to activate.
    Game 2: engineered plague saved the day again. By naming humans, the card literally locked him coz most of his utility creatures just die upon entering play.

I got myself an intuition earlier and youre right, it really does open up a lot of options.. loam/cabal therapy/lingering soul just wins!!!

Sep 2011
    Honolulu, HI

I got myself an intuition earlier and youre right, it really does open up a lot of options.. loam/cabal therapy/lingering soul just wins!!!
    Good! I'm glad that's working out for you.

Jasper Grimmer himself visited our country and won a 68-player event last March 3, 2013 using this deck:

http://www.thecouncil.es/tcdecks/dec...8&iddeck=75281

Survivalist
    Sep 2007
    Netherlands

Whats the correct list he played?

Quote Originally Posted by Waikiki View Post
    Whats the correct list he played?
    It seems like he was, indeed, playing with 63 cards in his main deck.

Another source for decklists points to that fact:

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=4540

I will have to do some digging if this was intentional, or a mistake on the TO's end.

Survivalist
    Sep 2007
    Netherlands

I can't imagine it was intentionally. There has to be some mistake with entering the decklist. Hope you can find out ;)

Searched the name on TC decks and the other Legacy lists are all 60 - I'm willing to bet there was a miser's Dimir Charm, accidentally entered as "4."

Checked the deck list source and confirmed with the TO that he just copied what was written down in the registered list. There really were 63 cards in the list registered

Now, unless Jasper were to confirm otherwise, I would say it's as accurate as can be as far as his deck list is concerned.

Just some dude.
    May 2009
    Akron, Ohio, USA

I postulated that there was some type of repetition mistake, so I looked for the only 3 cards that matched the maindeck and sideboard. I arrived at cutting 2 Lingering Souls and 1 Thoughtseize to make it a 60-card maindeck.

Played a tuned version of it tonight locally, with a changed sideboard. Not an easy 4-0, but certainly felt good while playing it as it keeps opponents guessing. 2-1 Sneak and Show, 2-1 UWr Miracles, 2-0 Esperblade-thing, 2-0 RUG Delver.
    Delver enthusiast and avid practitioner of blind flipsmanship.

Follow me on Twitter: @AllSunsDawn

Thread Information