Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anti-BUG control cards/techs?

anti-BUG control cards/techs?

As RUG delver is on the decline and BUG control is on the rise, SB hate against BUG becomes the popular discussion recently. Please don't discuss deck vs BUG control. If you want to discuss match-up for each established deck, we already have corresponding threads for those. This is to discuss cards people have not thought of, innovative tech against BUG control.

to put in context, here's a list of BUG control
    BUG by Brian Braun-Duin
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    3 Force of Will
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Abrupt Decay
    2 Counterspell
    1 Darkblast
    2 Life from the Loam
    2 Thoughtseize
    1 Inquisition of Kozilek
    2 Engineered Explosives
    4 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    1 Garruk Relentless
    3 Liliana of the Veil
    1 Polluted Delta
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Creeping Tar Pit
    3 Mishra's Factory
    3 Wasteland
    4 Misty Rainforest
    2 Tropical Island
    4 Underground Sea
    2 Bayou

Some cards come into my mind:
    1. Leyline of Sanctity
    This card is more feasible if your deck has White; ie Maverick/Miracle/Death and Taxes. However, if you open the SB game with this baby, BUG's typical opening with Inquisition or Thoughtseize is simply negated. Then even if BUG resolves Liliana, the important part of her abilities are blocked, and of course, immune from Abrupt Decay.

2. Divert and Misdirection
    Early game, you get to bounce Inquisition or Thoughtseize back to them. Mid to late game, how about redirecting Abrupt Decay onto their own Goyf or Liliana? However, The key then would become how would you bait BUG into AD? This route seems to be more suited for Delver decks.

3. Darksteel Brute
    The artifact is immune from Abrupt Decay and it can block Goyf all day. The card is not a creature be default, hence Liliana cannot make you sacrificing it, as a result, you can even ask the Brute to attack Liliana while BUG only has Shaman to defend for her. Hence, this card would force BUG control to be on the defensive, unless BUG player wants to race life total, putting Liliana at risk. This is probably the universal solution, no color required.

4. Rest in Peace
    self-explanatory, immediate removal of graveyard to shut down DS and Goyf, vulnerable to AD but that's not a justifiable reason to not consider this card.

5. Mirran Crusader
    As people have mentioned, sometimes the best idea is to just overwhelm BUG control with permanents, hence you need multiple copies of this. As long as you don't lose this to planeswalker, you can ride this to victory.

more idea, guys?

That's not my play, I'm just choosing to reveal it
    Oct 2011
    Portland, OR.

Re: anti-BUG control cards/techs?

Quote Originally Posted by twndomn View Post
    Please don't discuss deck vs BUG control. If you want to discuss match-up for each established deck, we already have corresponding threads for those.
    What you're asking for doesn't make sense. It's meaningless to discuss good sideboard cards/tech outside the context of a particular deck. Besides that the card in question has to be castable in a given deck, it's also preferable for it to somehow fit into an existing slot/plan.

You actually demonstrate this yourself, for example, when you say the following:
    [Leyline of Sanctity] is more feasible if your deck has White; ie Maverick/Miracle/Death and Taxes.
    I would suggest actively engaging in a discussion about, as you put it, "deck vs BUG control," rather than trying to discourage those kinds of posts.

Tap 2, Standstill. Good?
    Jul 2010
    Somewhere in Europe.

If you can afford to play it, cast Blood Moon when they don't have mana open to float for BG-> Decay. Moon just rapes them if it lands. The thing is that it falls under Pierce and Decay so it's pretty difficult to stick.
    Are you into Jazz? Have a look at the Lp's I have for sale on Discogs!

Choke, Blood Moon, Back to Basics.

Quote Originally Posted by [sic] View Post
    Choke, Blood Moon, Back to Basics.
    To think that a CMC 3 enchantment would deter BUG control is overly simplistic. Most of time, BUG control would have at least 1 Deathrite Shaman in play. Hence, he just need to open the game with at least 1 Basic land, he should have no problem playing Abrupt Decay to get rid of whatever CMC 3 enchantment you have. That is not to mention you have to get pass counter. I doubt a deck running Blood Moon would have much counters to begin with.

(V) (;,,;) (V)
    Jul 2008
    Minneapolis, MN

To think that a CMC 3 enchantment would deter BUG control is overly simplistic. Most of time, BUG control would have at least 1 Deathrite Shaman in play. Hence, he just need to open the game with at least 1 Basic land, he should have no problem playing Abrupt Decay to get rid of whatever CMC 3 enchantment you have. That is not to mention you have to get pass counter. I doubt a deck running Blood Moon would have much counters to begin with.
    Denver challenge accepted.
    Tinkering with some crafting theory. Here

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

How effective would Elspeth be?

She can assassinate Planeswalkers, is immune to AD and, if you run it, is an evasive 2-turn clock with Mirran Crusader.

These BUG decks look pretty vulnerable to those burn spells.
    "We are goblinkind, heirs to the mountain empires of chieftains past. Rest is death to us, and arson is our call to war."

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

The answer to every "How do I beat deck X?" question is play Imperial Painter.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n Cook View Post
    The answer to every "How do I beat deck X?" question is play Imperial Painter.
    Times like this I still hope that one day, Imperial Recruiter or a functional version will see a reprint. Until then, we're all stuck playing blue decks.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    Times like this I still hope that one day, Imperial Recruiter or a functional version will see a reprint. Until then, we're all stuck playing blue decks.
    I guess Imperial Recruiter is already too expensive to have a realistic chance of being reprinted.

If they did a "functional" reprint, it would probably white nowadays.

Legacy Vagabond
    Dec 2007
    Cheshire, CT

If you're looking for cards in general that would be efficient against BUG or Deathrite Shaman, I have found Relic of Progenitus to be a solid candidate. Casting it on turn 1 and using its 1st ability every turn pretty much shuts down all 4 DRS for the rest of the game if your BUG opponent doesn't Decay it. Relic also has the added bonus of being good against Snapcaster Mage. I think it's nifty that a Relic can act as an effective counterspell (or Counterbalance) against a Snapcaster flashbacking an uncounterable spell like Abrupt Decay. Relic would seem obscenely annoying against the BUG list you posted.

As for decks? Burn would be an obvious choice.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I've had 4x Leyline of Sanctity sideboarded in my junk/rock list for ages, always for matchups like Burn, Aggro-Loam, and Storm. It also happens to be good against Deathrite Shaman and planeswalkers that target.

Regardless, I would love to open up discussion like this:

1) Deck of choice: (ie Maverick)
    2) How to deal with BUG control.

Following that format would get a shit-ton of discussion going, I think.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    How effective would Elspeth be?

She can assassinate Planeswalkers, is immune to AD and, if you run it, is an evasive 2-turn clock with Mirran Crusader.
    I just made top8 of a 50 people tournament on saturday, running 2 Mirran crusaders in my Maverick maindeck as i was planning a lot of BUG. Did 12 damages to one of my BUG opponent with mirran + noble + elspeth, it felt good

In response: Snapcaster Mage
    Feb 2011

Deathrite Shaman does not target a player!

Relic of Progenitus is better than RIP imo - especially when played early. Problem with RIP is that BUG can just trade with it and then the GY can build up again. If Bug wants to trade for Relic you can crack it in response and then you are up a card. Also with 1 mana up you can always threaten to cribble the goyf, shamans or snapcasters. HOWEVER, I would only recommend relic in decks which are grindy in nature aka Goblins, UW,... Linear decks (Merfolk, Elves, combo, burn variants,...) should not use anti-gy techs but just focus on implementing their gameplan.

Non-basic enchantments used to be very bad for old BUG control. Now we are playing basics, shaman & decay (among the all-stars: "counter & discard"). I would for this to win you a ton of games.

4cmc Planeswalkers are a solid choice and SD.top are solid choices for every deck going long.

Also BUG control is now a much more midrangy deck running a ton of creatures. Therefore running less deed and relying more on spot removal. -> shroud, protection from black, tokens are a good idea.

Having less 1cmc removal than a typical blue aggro-control deck BUG is also very vulnerable to Mother of Runes & Thalia.

In general is Burn and Dredge still a bad matchup, but got a lot better with shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Regardless, I would love to open up discussion like this:

1) Deck of choice: (ie Maverick)
    2) How to deal with BUG control.
    Think this should go to the individual threads of the deck. Here it is more about concepts.
    Concerning Maverick: It is well positioned with Mother, Thalia, Ooze, 4cmc walkers and mirran cruasaders.
    Currently playing: Elves

Site Contributor

Aug 2012

Price of Progress is also pretty good against decks that play greedy manabases (tons of dual lands, mishra's factory, creeping tar pit, wasteland...).

bruizar

THe abyss is pretty good against bug. Deathmark destroys goyf and shaman for 1 cc, while also being good against stone forge mystic. Smallpox is pretty good too against any deck that wants to drop a turn 1 mana creature. Effects that leave a permanent into play are good ( stone forge fetching jitte, thragtusk, etc).

Terminus is good, wog effects are good too.
    Edit: a very undervalued card is lantern of insight. This card is so good at preventing problem cards such as pulse, goyf or entreat the angels while also giving you perfect information for cabal therapy. Paired with Duskmantle or something else that mills, you can fateseal someone quickly.

Just some dude.
    May 2009
    Akron, Ohio, USA

Suspend Ancestral Vision.
    Delver enthusiast and avid practitioner of blind flipsmanship.

Follow me on Twitter: @AllSunsDawn

Gideon Jurra seems insane against BUG.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by catmint View Post
    Deathrite Shaman does not target a player!
    DOH! Dumbass of the day award goes to.......me.

Think this should go to the individual threads of the deck. Here it is more about concepts.
    Concerning Maverick: It is well positioned with Mother, Thalia, Ooze, 4cmc walkers and mirran cruasaders.
    I didn't clue in to what my suggestion actually meant...of course it fits in the individual deck threads.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Thread Information