Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: anti-BUG control cards/techs?

Re: anti-BUG control cards/techs?

Gideon Jurra <- bad idea, you can kill creatures, but Liliana would still get to you.

The abyss <- it's a good card, but CMC is a bit high, difficult to resolve. The game might not matter by then. This is assuming this card did not just meet discard and you draw into it.

Price of Progress <- this card doesn't mean anything if it is non-lethal. BUG can always try to counter it, even if PoP is lethal, BUG can still gain life off Deathrite Shaman. This is too fragile.

The problem with Relic is that it deals with DS/Goyf aspect of the game, but it does not deal with Liliana. Still that card is worthy of consideration.

Sure, if you want to defeat BUG control, you can always play Goblin/Merfolk/Maverick. Unless BUG control has Pernicious Deed in the SB, it's impossible to fight aggro decks with just target removal. Hence, I don't think above mention decks need to concern too much about BUG.

Quote Originally Posted by twndomn View Post
    Gideon Jurra <- bad idea, you can kill creatures, but Liliana would still get to you.
    Liliana is pretty useless against Gideon.

Quote Originally Posted by Antonius View Post
    Liliana is pretty useless against Gideon.
    I don't see why BUG would allow Gideon to resolve at first place. Even if you resolve Gideon, Liliana's ultimate would make you sacrifice enough permanents so that you would regret playing Gideon.

Legacy Vagabond
    Dec 2007
    Cheshire, CT

I don't see why BUG would allow Gideon to resolve at first place. Even if you resolve Gideon, Liliana's ultimate would make you sacrifice enough permanents so that you would regret playing Gideon.
    No one ever uses Liliana's ultimate in Legacy.

The abyss <- it's a good card, but CMC is a bit high, difficult to resolve. The game might not matter by then. This is assuming this card did not just meet discard and you draw into it.

Price of Progress <- this card doesn't mean anything if it is non-lethal. BUG can always try to counter it, even if PoP is lethal, BUG can still gain life off Deathrite Shaman. This is too fragile.

The problem with Relic is that it deals with DS/Goyf aspect of the game, but it does not deal with Liliana. Still that card is worthy of consideration.

Sure, if you want to defeat BUG control, you can always play Goblin/Merfolk/Maverick. Unless BUG control has Pernicious Deed in the SB, it's impossible to fight aggro decks with just target removal. Hence, I don't think above mention decks need to concern too much about BUG.
    The only deck that uses PoP is Burn and it will almost always be lethal when they cast it. Deathrite Shaman will never live to untap against a deck with approx. 1 million removal spells.

Relic seem decent against BUG but I've never tested that card against them.

I'm not sure why anyone would want The Abyss against BUG. It's actively terrible against the Shardless Agent versions and pretty poor elsewhere.
    "We are goblinkind, heirs to the mountain empires of chieftains past. Rest is death to us, and arson is our call to war."

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

UR Delver Burn seems good. You get the benefits of a Waste-proof mana base, Price of Progress, Brainstorm (as a 'counter' to targeted discard), the possibility of tech cards like Divert and a fast clock. Because most of BUG's removal is 2cmc, your Goblin Guides and Delver can get in for a few swings before getting killed. I would play this over Mono Red every day of the week.

You go +0 and crush liliana with six damage.

Legacy Vagabond
    Dec 2007
    Cheshire, CT

Quote Originally Posted by Amon Amarth View Post
    Relic seem decent against BUG but I've never tested that card against them.
    Relic is effing good against BUG, especially DRS. If they use DRS to exile anything of yours, you can effectively counter whatever ability they tap it with by targeting yourself with Relic and removing whatever you want. Sure, Decay can hit it, but drawing a card from that happening isn't a bad deal.

Feb 2010
    Houston,texas

Quote Originally Posted by Shawon View Post
    Relic is effing good against BUG, especially DRS. If they use DRS to exile anything of yours, you can effectively counter whatever ability they tap it with by targeting yourself with Relic and removing whatever you want. Sure, Decay can hit it, but drawing a card from that happening isn't a bad deal.
    Haha, I like that. But, I think it is telling of how powerful DRS is. Cause are we talking about Anti-BUG or anti Shaman. I do concede that relic is very versatile outside of that function.

Legacy Vagabond
    Dec 2007
    Cheshire, CT

Also, Ground Seal.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Wouldn't be Grim Lavamancer be pretty good as well? Kills DRS (they normally shouldn't be able to remove enough cards fast enough to completely empty your yard), provides reach and is also able to threaten Planeswalkers.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawon View Post
    No one ever uses Liliana's ultimate in Legacy.
    Except BUG control. It happens quite often actually... well unless they scoop first.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I fire Lili Ultumates off pretty often in legacy when I played Nic fit
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Joe talks about his experiment in SB against BUG:
    http://blog.mtgdeals.com/oarsman/mir...-abrupt-decay/

Thread Information