Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2013 Modern Price Spike

Dec 2011
    Calgary, Alberta

Re: 2013 Modern Price Spike

Quote Originally Posted by Davran View Post
    I also don't understand why they didn't include Zendikar block in the set. The fetch lands are quickly becoming some of the most expensive cards in the format, and at 8 per deck it's a significant barrier to entry. If Modern Masters has the intended effect of bringing more people into the format, they're only going to get more expensive and harder to find. Reprinting the shock lands is only half of the fix. The fetch lands need to be reprinted too.
    They could reprint the Onslaught fetchlands in order to smooth out the mana base. Right now the Modern Duals versus Fetches are not proportional, so a later set/promo expansion could reprint the fetches. To me the lack of fetches in Modern Masters hinted at a potential ONS fetch reprint, but that's purely my opinion and speculation. Hopefully they do as enemy fetches can somewhat stifle (though to a minimal extent) allied colored decks, and the reprint would be good for reducing the barrier to entry to all formats.

bruizar

So let me get this straight.. First people complain about dual lands. They get shockduals and a reprint of shockduals, and now fetchland is the culprit to format accessibility? Come on guys. Zendikar wasn't released 20 years ago and there are plenty in circulation.

Site Contributor

Dec 2011

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    So let me get this straight.. First people complain about dual lands. They get shockduals and a reprint of shockduals, and now fetchland is the culprit to format accessibility? Come on guys. Zendikar wasn't released 20 years ago and there are plenty in circulation.
    People won't stop complaining until the government provides mtg assistance and they receive monthly benefits from wotc... Until they realize that this has caused the prices to increase further. I don't know why people feel so entitled, playing magic isn't a necessity.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

This response isn't surprising at all. To put it politely, Modern was created as a format for those who couldn't afford to get into Legacy. Some of them felt entitled to a non-rotating format and blamed existing Legacy players, collectors, speculators, WotC, StarCityGames, and countless other entities for their inability to enjoy Legacy, as though they felt all these groups were working in conjunction to somehow price them out of this experience.

However, they're learning that supply and demand principles do not apply to Legacy exclusively, and that speculators are going to try to capitalize off perceived arbitrage in Modern as well as Legacy.

I wouldn't mind an Onslaught fetchland reprint in Standard. Not just to make there be more copies around, but just because I think it's really weird that only the enemy colored lands have fetchlands in Modern.

I'm sure it's coming eventually though. Wizards is just holding them until they find a set they think they fit in like they did with Zendikar.

Honestly, which is healthier for competitive magic play? A room full of 500 players with $800 decks, or a room full of 1000 players with $400 decks? It's an obvious oversimplification, but the point is that the more affordable the format is, the more people will be able to play it. That's good for everyone involved. It's good for WotC, because people still buy from them and represent their brand. It's good for the players, because we have more opportunities to play and a larger community to play with. It's good for the collectors because there are still thousands of people that care about a card game they've invested in. Sure, their collection is worth a little less...but at least it's still worth something.
    Honestly, which is healthier for competitive magic play? A room full of 500 players with $800 decks, or a room full of 1000 players with $400 decks? It's an obvious oversimplification, but the point is that the more affordable the format is, the more people will be able to play it. That's good for everyone involved. It's good for WotC, because people still buy from them and represent their brand. It's good for the players, because we have more opportunities to play and a larger community to play with. It's good for the collectors because there are still thousands of people that care about a card game they've invested in. Sure, their collection is worth a little less...but at least it's still worth something.
    You make too many assumptions about how people want to play their magic. I'd rather go to Vintage worlds and play with 300 people and play all my beta power with other people who own powerful and valuable cards than sit at a Starcity standard event with 800 people all copying the same 3 lame standard decks. Why? Because it's fucking awesome and elite.

I don't want every mouth breathing grocery bagger to be able to afford the best deck. That's just me. Magic isn't a right, it's a collectible hobby with a skill element at the sanctioned level.

Also, defining affordable is tough. Standard over a period of years with Johnny Standards buying his Baneslayers @ $30-40 then trading in his Baneslayers after they plunge (ditto for Titans, Planeswalkers, Lands, other standard must haves) is as big a money sink as legacy if you consider that Johnny Standards could have just bought reserved list / legacy staples. Now I think Modern helps alleviate this pain a bit ... e.g. a competitive standard card might retain its value a bit more if it also a fine card in Modern (see: Kitchen Fink) ... at the same time S&D will still punish those who didn't get the card on the cheap no matter what the format is called or how the border looks (see: Bob, Goyf, Thoughtseize, Auriok Champion, Mutavault, Shocks for a bit, Fetches, Daybreak C).

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Affordability is so relative that it's a joke to even call it that at the competitive level.
    Take MTGO vs Paper prices. A $150 Underground Sea is not affordable in paper, but at $26 (tix) on MTGO it is?

While I appreciate the Ideal tournament environment that allows people to play whatever they want or think is the best cards/deck without regards to card availability; the truth in tournament Magic is that scarcity exists. Not everyone will be able to play the same 75 card deck. This is what makes the experience interesting (variation) and challenging (trading/metagaming).

PTQ season is the primary driver for increased demand of all cards. This is an old phenomenon. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that Goyf, Bob, Thoughtseize, etc are useful in Modern. Stocking up on them during the off-season and unload them during the high-demand portion of the year becomes a profitable venture. Play smarter, not harder. I'm fucking sick of people moaning that they are getting reamed because of being ill-prepared for planned events.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Two Explores.
    Apr 2010

All this hype about Modern and then the Spanish GP can't even gather 1000 people... pretty weak for a european GP. If it was Legacy I'm sure there would be 1500 people at least.
    Humphrey is always correct.

ಠ_ಠ
    Jul 2009
    NJ

Quote Originally Posted by cartoonist View Post
    Isn't Starcity starting to buy up Modern singles? I thought that's what happened with the Zendikar fetches. They're not running any Modern events this year, but that might be because they don't have a sufficient horde of singles yet.
    Starcity likes to kill every format this way. Anybody else remember when Merfolk was a $200 deck? Starcity is just one letter away from scarcity. It's like Obama and Osama, man.
    Man, I really regret giving away my set of Seizes during one of the Secret Santas here. The good news is that it wouldn't be hard to get into the format with a deck like Urzatron anyway, since the tron pieces have been reprinted 500 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    ... It feels like a bummer to spend so much time not talking about the game and more time arguing over whether Dega or Mardu is the better name for a three color deck you'll never see in Legacy.

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Pastorofmuppets View Post
    Starcity likes to kill every format this way. Anybody else remember when Merfolk was a $200 deck? Starcity is just one letter away from scarcity. It's like Obama and Osama, man.
    Man, I really regret giving away my set of Seizes during one of the Secret Santas here. The good news is that it wouldn't be hard to get into the format with a deck like Urzatron anyway, since the tron pieces have been reprinted 500 times.
    I'm pretty sure as a secondary seller in the market, Starcity games would prefer to support a larger eternal format like legacy than modern. This way they have more access to cards to sell and hoard up.

Makes no sense really if scg drops legacy altogether when there is a huge inventory of cards that needs to be unloaded.

bruizar

Starcity has the health of magic as a top priority. They don't earn money when the game dies out. Sure, Starcity does some cutthroat things to earn cash, but no one benefits from a dead game, so it's not all 'evil-empire'.

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    Starcity has the health of magic as a top priority. They don't earn money when the game dies out. Sure, Starcity does some cutthroat things to earn cash, but no one benefits from a dead game, so it's not all 'evil-empire'.
    That's almost like saying lenders have the health of the housing market in mind as their top priority. It's definitely not completely black-and-white ethically, but Starcity is definitely focused on profit. By keeping a certain format alive with tournaments, they are able to establish control on that market.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I mean to be fair, if starcity is the only place that does big legacy tournements why not at least suppirt them a bit?
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Leyline of Sanctity: $15
    Serum Visions: $3 (LOLOLOL)

SCG benefits from formats where card values are high because their model (like any card store) is "buy your shit for about half of what we sell it for".

Digging through 108 Mirran Crusaders. Paying $1.08 each for them. Selling them for $2.75.

vs.

Buying one Underground Sea. Paying $60 each for them. Selling them for $109.00.

(actual prices may vary)

It's easier for them to just recycle that Sea a thousand times. It's an easy buy. Assuming they have enough cash (e.g. their buying power is effectively unlimited) it's one transaction to make $49. On a stable asset. There's way less flux with eternal cards. Underground Sea isn't going to be $20 tomorrow. Whereas Baneslayers, Titans, other rotating reprintable standard crap is up and down.

Big Fat Hard Kicks, Oh My God I Want That Shit!
    Apr 2011

The main and ultimatly ONLY goal of the modern format is to make Hasbro money. If you have expensive cards, it makes people buy more packs from wizards to avoid having to make that $400 investment down the road for goyfs, when they could just buy a bunch of packs now, and then trade for the cards they think will be good down the road.

Obviously this is working, as MTG is getting 30%+ attendance at pre-release events where lots of product gets opened.

http://www.examiner.com/article/magi...-profit-growth

Thread Information