Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Modern Price Spike

2013 Modern Price Spike

Heya,

Have you guys noticed the price spike on Modern cards that is happening?

Kiki-Jiki Mirror Breaker
    Leyline of Sanctity
    Chromatic Star
    Sylvan Scrying
    Karn Liberated
    Thoughtseize
    Tarmogoyf
    Vendilion Clique
    Twilight Mire
    Flooded Grove
    Fetid Heath
    Serum Visions
    Blinkmoth Nexus
    Wilt-Leaf Liege
    Cryptic Command
    Reshape
    Auriok Champion
    Serra Ascendant
    Mox Opal
    Daybreak Coronet
    Zendikar Fetches

Are all rising very fast and many are completely sold out at most online vendors. I mean for instance, it's almost impossible to find a Tarmogoyf or Thoughtseize right now unless you want to pay $110 or $65 respectively. I haven't seen a spike like this since SCG raised its buy prices on eternal staples a couple years ago. Anyone got any reasoning behind all this?

Peace,

-Troy

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

Re: 2013 Modern Price Spike

It's PTQ Season and Modern is gaining momentum in general. Some of the prices are just sick though.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

A lot of people are playing modern now. Supply and demand, you know.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by H3llsp4wn View Post
    It's PTQ Season and Modern is gaining momentum in general. Some of the prices are just sick though.
    This. It happens every PTQ season.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    This. It happens every PTQ season.
    That's true to a point, but I don't remember the last time Goyf spiked to $110-$125 or Thoughtseize to $60-$70.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Troy_Costisick View Post
    That's true to a point, but I don't remember the last time Goyf spiked to $110-$125 or Thoughtseize to $60-$70.
    Well, those cards weren't played in the current most dominant deck in the format last time too...

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Esper3k View Post
    Well, those cards weren't played in the current most dominant deck in the format last time too...
    Plus both cards are in BUG and Jund in Legacy too. Especially Thoughtseize keeps those decks competitive.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Troy_Costisick View Post
    Goyf was $100 last season. Add to that an additional year since it's been printed, hoarding, scarcity, inflation, and $110 isn't too far from the mark.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Isn't Starcity starting to buy up Modern singles? I thought that's what happened with the Zendikar fetches. They're not running any Modern events this year, but that might be because they don't have a sufficient horde of singles yet.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Quote Originally Posted by cartoonist View Post
    Isn't Starcity starting to buy up Modern singles? I thought that's what happened with the Zendikar fetches. They're not running any Modern events this year, but that might be because they don't have a sufficient horde of singles yet.
    Wouldn't surprise me at all. I thought this format was supposed to be easier to get into than legacy? So far the support from the mothership just isn't there.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Quote Originally Posted by Davran View Post
    Wouldn't surprise me at all. I thought this format was supposed to be easier to get into than legacy? So far the support from the mothership just isn't there.
    Yeah, they aren't making an entire set devoted to reprinting many of the expensive cards or anything. Going to not say anything else because moderator red would be all over any other comments I write.

They're giving Modern a PTQ season, five Grand Prix's a year, a Pro Tour and making it a FNM format while at the same time reprinting a crucial set of dual lands in Standard legal sets and creating a special summer product just for it. Not to mention that every other FNM Promo looks like it's going to be some Modern playable card now. That's what I would consider support from the mothership. What would you consider support?

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    Yeah, they aren't making an entire set devoted to reprinting many of the expensive cards or anything.
    Don't get me wrong - I'm happy that the reserved list does not hinder the growth of this format. I'm also happy that they're willing to make something like Modern Masters in an attempt to increase the availability of some of the cards. What I disagree with is that they seem to be placing more stock in preserving the "value" of some collector's binder than they are in making competitive modern accessible to players that simply cannot afford to buy in. The "very limited" print run coupled with the mythic rarity of some of the highest value staples (e.g. Goyf) will ensure that stores charge more than MSRP for packs and that the price of expensive staples does not significantly change.

I also don't understand why they didn't include Zendikar block in the set. The fetch lands are quickly becoming some of the most expensive cards in the format, and at 8 per deck it's a significant barrier to entry. If Modern Masters has the intended effect of bringing more people into the format, they're only going to get more expensive and harder to find. Reprinting the shock lands is only half of the fix. The fetch lands need to be reprinted too.

The fetch lands are quickly becoming some of the most expensive cards in the format, and at 8 per deck it's a significant barrier to entry. If Modern Masters has the intended effect of bringing more people into the format, they're only going to get more expensive and harder to find. Reprinting the shock lands is only half of the fix. The fetch lands need to be reprinted too.
    I mean ... at what point do you consider the format not to have a significant barrier to entry? Fetchlands were $7-12 for a long, long, long time. Should they just print entire modern decks for $75.00? The $30 fetchland is a better buy than a $25 Thragtusk. Do you consider standard to have to high a barrier of entry?

People need to remember magic is a CCG. C. Stands for collectible. If you want to pick up and play for $100 go check out a boxed game.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    I mean ... at what point do you consider the format not to have a significant barrier to entry? Fetchlands were $7-12 for a long, long, long time. Should they just print entire modern decks for $75.00? The $30 fetchland is a better buy than a $25 Thragtusk. Do you consider standard to have to high a barrier of entry?

People need to remember magic is a CCG. C. Stands for collectible. If you want to pick up and play for $100 go check out a boxed game.
    Honestly, which is healthier for competitive magic play? A room full of 500 players with $800 decks, or a room full of 1000 players with $400 decks? It's an obvious oversimplification, but the point is that the more affordable the format is, the more people will be able to play it. That's good for everyone involved. It's good for WotC, because people still buy from them and represent their brand. It's good for the players, because we have more opportunities to play and a larger community to play with. It's good for the collectors because there are still thousands of people that care about a card game they've invested in. Sure, their collection is worth a little less...but at least it's still worth something.

Honestly, which is healthier for competitive magic play? A room full of 500 players with $800 decks, or a room full of 1000 players with $400 decks? It's an obvious oversimplification, but the point is that the more affordable the format is, the more people will be able to play it.
    I don't know if there's any evidence that halving the price of cards will double the attendance at tournaments. The last four years of Magic have seen card prices get higher than ever before since Standard was introduced. And in the last four years, tournament attendance has been at record highs and sales have been at record highs. If high prices kept people from playing competively, Magic would be dead right now and there'd be no SCG Opens. Don't get me wrong. I think the recent price spike (which has spread to even MORE cards now) is a negative thing, but I don't think flooding the market with cards would produce the kind of results you think it would.

The fetchlands probably aren't in Modern Masters because they're going to put them back into Standard at some point. It's hard to imagine they won't eventually.

That, or they think the Zendikar block is recent enough that it doesn't have accessibility problems as great as the ones before it do, and that's just where they put their cutoff point. (it had to go somewhere)

What I disagree with is that they seem to be placing more stock in preserving the "value" of some collector's binder than they are in making competitive modern accessible to players that simply cannot afford to buy in.
    I'm not sure they do put that much stock in preserving value. They certainly didn't when they caused the shocklands to lose half their value due to Return to Ravnica increasing the supply so much.

Sam S
    Dec 2011
    Newmarket, ON

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    The fetchlands probably aren't in Modern Masters because they're going to put them back into Standard at some point. It's hard to imagine they won't eventually.

That, or they think the Zendikar block is recent enough that it doesn't have accessibility problems as great as the ones before it do, and that's just where they put their cutoff point. (it had to go somewhere)

I'm not sure they do put that much stock in preserving value. They certainly didn't when they caused the shocklands to lose half their value due to Return to Ravnica increasing the supply so much.
    To be fair shocks were only worth $5 before Modern was announced.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Don't get me wrong - I'm happy that the reserved list does not hinder the growth of this format. I'm also happy that they're willing to make something like Modern Masters in an attempt to increase the availability of some of the cards. What I disagree with is that they seem to be placing more stock in preserving the "value" of some collector's binder than they are in making competitive modern accessible to players that simply cannot afford to buy in. The "very limited" print run coupled with the mythic rarity of some of the highest value staples (e.g. Goyf) will ensure that stores charge more than MSRP for packs and that the price of expensive staples does not significantly change.

I also don't understand why they didn't include Zendikar block in the set. The fetch lands are quickly becoming some of the most expensive cards in the format, and at 8 per deck it's a significant barrier to entry. If Modern Masters has the intended effect of bringing more people into the format, they're only going to get more expensive and harder to find. Reprinting the shock lands is only half of the fix. The fetch lands need to be reprinted too.
    Wizards are going to milk Modern with yearly Modern Masters sets. Just wait for it. Tarmogoyf at Mythic rarity is the best indicator.

Highly priced cards have alot of appeal to buyers if they appear in packs. If they put all the good stuff into one set and print it at a reasonable number, prices would go down way too much to make Modern Masters 2 attractive anytime soon.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Wizards can milk Masters for at least 3 sets. They have done so with Masters Edition on MTGO four times.

Think of GP Vegas as a Release Event and it makes more sense.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Thread Information