Thread: 25th at GP Denver with UW Miracles

Jul 2010
    twitch.tv/oarsman79

25th at GP Denver with UW Miracles

http://blog.mtgdeals.com/oarsman/gp-denver-25th/

You need to scroll down an inch to get to the top of the article.

Dec 2011
    USA

Re: 25th at GP Denver with UW Miracles

Grats, saw the camera match on the last round of swiss, maybe I'll see you in Vegas again in March. ^.^
    Primary legacy deck High Tide primer

I caught the end of the BUG match where you went to time, he raged pretty hard. Interestingly enough I saw him go to time against another player the same day, and also ask for the concession, but this one was not so close to ending as your match was. The rage was indeed strong with that one. Also, my friend has a serious man-crush on you.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but a judge told me that according to the new trigger rules, a trigger is not considered missed until it's too late. I.e. if somebody has CounterTop out, activates Top before acknowledging CB trigger, he can still reveal a card and counter your spell. It's if the spell has already finished resolving or phases have moved, then it's too late to announce the trigger. Please correct me if I'm mistaken, but only if you are 1000% sure as I was really confused about this and had this doubly verified.

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by akatsuki View Post
    Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but a judge told me that according to the new trigger rules, a trigger is not considered missed until it's too late. I.e. if somebody has CounterTop out, activates Top before acknowledging CB trigger, he can still reveal a card and counter your spell. It's if the spell has already finished resolving or phases have moved, then it's too late to announce the trigger. Please correct me if I'm mistaken, but only if you are 1000% sure as I was really confused about this and had this doubly verified.
    L2 here. From the IPG:
    Quote Originally Posted by 2.1
    A triggered ability triggers, but the player controlling the ability doesn’t demonstrate awareness of the trigger’s existence and/or forgets to announce its effect. If a triggered ability has been partially or incorrectly resolved, instead treat it as a Game Play Error — Game Rule Violation.
    A trigger is considered missed once the controller of the trigger has taken an action after the point at which a trigger should have resolved or, in the case of a trigger controlled by the non-active player, after that player has taken an action that indicates they have actively passed priority
    So, "too late" is a slippery term. You have to demonstrate awareness of the trigger before another game action occurs, but demonstrating awareness is quite broad. One example is Topping before revealing for Counterbalance - the clear implication is that you're aware of the Counterbalance trigger. That's the [O]fficial ruling on how the missed trigger policy works with regard to CB-Top as far as I know.

Another example from GP Denver: an Elves player has 2 Glimpses active and 2 Nettle Sentinels on the field. He goes to draw 2 cards from casting an elf, then says "oh, untap Nettle Sentinel." His opponent immediately called a judge, who ruled that since that is a valid way to stack the triggers and the Elves player demonstrated awareness of the triggers at a time when they could resolve, he didn't miss them, even though he may have forgotten about it in the second it took to draw cards. The ruling was upheld on appeal.

The takeaway is that judges aren't trying to "get you" with triggers as long as you can reasonably say to have remembered them when they happen.

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

So long as you don't take an action that has to occur after the triggers would have resolved, you get them if you remember.
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Jul 2010
    twitch.tv/oarsman79

Okay well in that case I was waiting for something that might not have made any difference aside from making me look like a jerk. I'm still not sure how this would have turned out. I haven't been called on it yet myself either, so I have not actually seen a ruling made on the scenario.

If my bologna had a first name it would be spelled O-B-A-M-A
    Mar 2010
    Hobart, Indiana

Nice job on the finish Joe!
    13 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it. Matthew 7:13-14 NIV

-Member of Clan Magic Eternal-

-Find me on MTGO (NarrowGate) -

Sep 2011
    Baltimore, MD

Quote Originally Posted by phazonmuant View Post
    L2 here. From the IPG:

So, "too late" is a slippery term. You have to demonstrate awareness of the trigger before another game action occurs, but demonstrating awareness is quite broad. One example is Topping before revealing for Counterbalance - the clear implication is that you're aware of the Counterbalance trigger. That's the [O]fficial ruling on how the missed trigger policy works with regard to CB-Top as far as I know.

Another example from GP Denver: an Elves player has 2 Glimpses active and 2 Nettle Sentinels on the field. He goes to draw 2 cards from casting an elf, then says "oh, untap Nettle Sentinel." His opponent immediately called a judge, who ruled that since that is a valid way to stack the triggers and the Elves player demonstrated awareness of the triggers at a time when they could resolve, he didn't miss them, even though he may have forgotten about it in the second it took to draw cards. The ruling was upheld on appeal.

The takeaway is that judges aren't trying to "get you" with triggers as long as you can reasonably say to have remembered them when they happen.
    I was the player that called the judge on the elves player. I got sick of him getting sloppy with his stuff. He missed like 4 triggers after the call too. I always have bad luck when it comes to sloppy elves players. :-(
    Level 2 DCI Judge
    EDH Degenerate Extraordinaire

Oct 2007
    Berlin, Germany

@ trigger stuff:
    maybe it would make sense to rule it along the lines of:
    "Triggers can still be resolved even if not announced right away, given the trigger's controller hasn't passed priority in the meantime"
    That would extend the time window while still being straight forward.

Thread Information