Page 72 of 113 FirstFirst ... 226268697071727374757682 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,440 of 2259

Thread: [Deck] Jund

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

Re: [Deck] Jund

You put them into play, then pay 4 life for the 2nd and 3rd if you want to keep them, otherwise, you put them back on top I think?

Quote Originally Posted by ironclad8690 View Post
    Wow, Abundance is a weird but awesome card. Also more enchantments to pump goyf in case they eat a counterspell. I notcied Finchler had a seal of primordium in his sideboard in the last scg and thought that was cool.
    Finchler is a good friend of mine, the Seal was an idea from another friend (Gilderbarin216 or Jake who got 2nd at the SCG with reanimator) for Miracles to kill Blood Moon and to be able to kill a CB, while being able to play it before they play their threat.

Quote Originally Posted by afedelejr View Post
    How does abundance work with library?
    I'm thinking that you could possibly put three permanents into play on each draw step if you state then correctly?
    Abundance allows you to replace any card draw by choosing land or non-land and revealing cards from the top of your library until you get a card of the type you chose, you put that card in your hand.

Sylvan Library allows you to draw two extra cards each draw phase after your regular draw has resolved. You must put two of the cards drawn this turn back on top of your library in any order or pay 4 life per card not returned in this manner.

The combo allows you to put three cards in your hand each turn after which you don't have to return any to the top of your library nor pay any life because you did not draw any cards this turn.

When Abundance is in play alone you get to just draw spells or just draw lands depending on what you need. It's a filter to get rid of mana flood basically.

The hangup is that it costs 2 to cast and you do not normally gain any benefit from it until your next draw phase. That's a huge tempo loss in a tight game.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by afedelejr View Post
    How does abundance work with library?
    I'm thinking that you could possibly put three permanents into play on each draw step if you state then correctly?
    If you choose to draw with Sylvan Library and replace all of the draws with Abundance, you will have "drawn" zero cards and will thus have to put back nothing and pay no life. Same with Pursuit of Knowledge and the Words cycle and dredge. However, the problem with this is too many filter too few indians. If you can assemble Sylvan Library-tron, you pretty much win the game. Unfortunately, the odds of achieving it are low, and without Sylvan Library, Abundance basically amounts to a really expensive Sylvan Library that can't manipulate the top and can't draw cards.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

I think I would add Jund charm to that slot in the current environment.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    23 Land
    1*Forest
    2*Swamp
    3*Badlands
    3*Bayou
    2*Bloodstained Mire
    3*Marsh Flats
    4*Verdant Catacombs
    4*Wasteland
    1*Wooded Foothills

15 Creatures
    4*Dark Confidant
    1*Tombstalker
    3*Tarmogoyf
    3*Bloodbraid Elf
    4*Deathrite Shaman

22 Other Spells
    2*Hymn to Tourach
    4*Liliana of the Veil
    4*Thoughtseize
    4*Lightning Bolt
    2*Sylvan Library
    3*Abrupt Decay
    1*Golgari Charm
    1*Maelstrom Pulse
    1*TBD

Sideboard
    1*Mindbreak Trap (might end up becoming Duress if only because of Burn)
    1*Chains of Mephistopheles
    1*Duress
    2*Surgical Extraction
    1*Toxic Deluge
    1*Ancient Grudge
    1*Pyroblast
    1*Red Elemental Blast
    1*Pernicious Deed
    1*Grafdigger's Cage
    1*Nihil Spellbomb
    1*Null Rod
    1*Pithing Needle
    1*Winter Orb/Blood Moon (fuck Miracles or fuck BUG and 43Lands)

From memory. I think it's all there.
    I really don't think Tombstalker in the same deck as Dark Confidant is a good idea. I love TS, but this is not the deck for him in my opinion. I would go back to 4 Goyf. For your flex spot, I think a 4th Abrupt still fits in there fine

An odd card I have been interested in trying out is Unearth. It is essentially Goyf/Bob/DRS #5 once one is removed, or can be cycled away if you don't need it

I think I would add Jund charm to that slot in the current environment.
    Not a bad idea. I forgot one of the modes of this was GY hate. Even rakdos charm could be useful. Artifact and grave hate, then the last mode which could help against decks like Elves or any deck that empties the warrens or young pyromances

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by hovercraft View Post
    I really don't think Tombstalker in the same deck as Dark Confidant is a good idea.
    It's not especially dangerous. You're not guaranteed to always have a Dark Confidant flipping cards, you're not guaranteed to hit Tombstalker even when Confidant is flipping cards, and Tombstalker is a one-of. Top that off with Sylvan Library potentially filtering, and probability is absolutely on your side. Not to mention that even if you do flip Tombstalker, it's not the end of the world. Far from it. You now have a fucking Tombstalker. Short of being indestructible, having hexproof, or protection, it's the most resilient creature in Legacy and one of the largest.

Anyway, I think I've settled on a final list. I'll try to post it later when my phone's not ringing.

Quote Originally Posted by hovercraft View Post
    An odd card I have been interested in trying out is Unearth. It is essentially Goyf/Bob/DRS #5 once one is removed, or can be cycled away if you don't need it
    Been there. Done that. Fun card. Not necessary.

If you're going to try something like Unearth, Reanimate is just strictly better. The lifeloss is irrelevant, and if it's necessary to ever effectively cycle a Goyf/Bob/DRS, you're already losing the game. On the other hand, being able to Reanimate a Mother of Runes or a True-Name Nemesis or a Snapcaster Mage into that same Reanimate into another creature is... yeah. The downside is that there are so many matches when Reanimate is not just bad, but is utterly worthless. And it doesn't necessarily have any all-star moves to offset that. The best it gets is being able to Reanimate a Reanimator target, but even that can naturally be played around in most circumstances at no cost to the Reanimator player.

Unearth is good in Loam shells that have power you'll dredge by as you work the combos. It doubles as a saving cycle when they're taking your LFtL out with Surgical Extraction or activating Relic of Progenitus to sweep the GY's clean.

hai 2 u
    Apr 2007
    SoCal - Anaheim

Sylvan Oracle
    9/16/2007: If you choose to draw two cards, then replace one or more of those draws with some other effect, the rest of Sylvan Library's ability still happens. If you've actually drawn only one card that turn, you must choose that card and either pay 4 life or put it on top of your library. If you haven't actually drawn any cards that turn, the rest of the ability has no effect.

If you're going to do it then you need to skip all 3 draws, which is actually good if you don't need lands, hitting the top 3 non-lands is pretty redonk.
    #mtgfinance follow on twitter: @mtgStaples

Quote Originally Posted by OBFREELY
    You should all immediately fire emails at the DCI requesting the banning of Tarmogoyf and Golgari Grave-Troll.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'm not compelled to address your non-argument based simply on the fact that you're obviously borderline retarded.
    Team Brown & Team Unicorn. Does that make me a Brown Unicorn?

Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    It's not especially dangerous. You're not guaranteed to always have a Dark Confidant flipping cards, you're not guaranteed to hit Tombstalker even when Confidant is flipping cards, and Tombstalker is a one-of. Top that off with Sylvan Library potentially filtering, and probability is absolutely on your side. Not to mention that even if you do flip Tombstalker, it's not the end of the world. Far from it. You now have a fucking Tombstalker. Short of being indestructible, having hexproof, or protection, it's the most resilient creature in Legacy and one of the largest.

Anyway, I think I've settled on a final list. I'll try to post it later when my phone's not ringing.

Been there. Done that. Fun card. Not necessary.

If you're going to try something like Unearth, Reanimate is just strictly better. The lifeloss is irrelevant, and if it's necessary to ever effectively cycle a Goyf/Bob/DRS, you're already losing the game. On the other hand, being able to Reanimate a Mother of Runes or a True-Name Nemesis or a Snapcaster Mage into that same Reanimate into another creature is... yeah. The downside is that there are so many matches when Reanimate is not just bad, but is utterly worthless. And it doesn't necessarily have any all-star moves to offset that. The best it gets is being able to Reanimate a Reanimator target, but even that can naturally be played around in most circumstances at no cost to the Reanimator player.
    Have you considered Hooting Mandrills at all? 6 cmc vs 8 cmc, but smaller and tramples rather than flies. Still dodged bolt and decay

Mar 2014
    Baltimore, MD

Jund bros (and gals?),

Everyone in this thread is losing their damn mind. Treasure Cruise has everyone in fits and understandably but some of these suggesstions are just a touch overboard. Cutting Hymn for example? We run Hymn because our combo match-up is terrible. More often than not I'm siding this card out against any delver deck which is where Treasure Cruise is the most threatening so the idea of "feeding their graveyard" is overblown. Not to mention if your concern is Treasure Cruise how does Inquisition help? The simple answer is it doesn't. Keep the Hymns and sideboard smarter.

Lose Punishing Fire? This isn't the first time or the last we'll talk about this possibility but removing our Fire package seriously undermines our longevitiy. Not to mention it may be our strongest card against delver variants where, again, Treasure Cruise is the most damaging to us.

I've given this Treasure Cruise problem a lot of thought and I have good news and bad news. Good news is we can beat it, the bad news is I'm nearly certain the way we can most efficiently do so is a $400 card on the reserve list. Whomp whomp. Chains of Mephistopheles is the answer to our Jund woes.

Think about how we are able to interact with Treasure Cruise. One way is to attack the graveyard and prevent them from delving. This may seem relavtively easy because traditionally our sideboards are full of graveyard hate but when you get to the true reason for that its because our Reanimator match-up is less than ideal. We bring in graveyard hate that wins us the game not that helps us durdle. If we take this route and main deck our hate we're affecting our deck's bottom line: Tarmogoyf. And for what in exchange? So they can't cast one spell? That doesn't win us the game in the same way eating Griselbrands with Scavenging Ooze or cracking a Spellbomb on a Dredge deck does. All this strategy does is waterdown our power in match-ups where we need to rely on forcing poor trades. The same match-ups where a 4/5 or a 5/6 Tarmogoyf is a serious issue for our opponent.

Another way is to just outright counter the Cruise. Incliment weather, sorry dude. Except we can't do this. Sure we could bring in Red Blast and Pyroblast from the board but that isn't what our deck wants to be doing. How often have you taken this approach in a match and found yourself sitting with a Red Blast in hand wishing it were something relevant? "But it can kill a Delver!" Yea, it can. So does Punishing Fire. The closest we come to this is Thoughtseizing, Hymning or Duressing away a Cruise before they can cast it and we are capable of doing that aready without drastic deck composition changes.

So this brings me to the solution. Anyone who's resolved a Chains of Mephistopheles against a blue player knows how devistating it is. I have never lost a match where a copy of Chains stayed in play. Never. With Chains, Treasure Cruise becomes "Exile your graveyard and discard 3 cards" for U. Great! Traditionally this was a sideboard card because in the match-ups it was good in it was really good and the match-ups its bad against its hot garbage. The current metagame has changed that. The amount of Treasure Cruises running around in my opinion justify main decking Chains of Mephistopheles. Best case scenario you crush your opponents card advantage and then grind them out the way only Jund can. Worst case scenario you pitch it to a Liliana activation and grow your goyf with the ever elusive enchantment card type.

My propsed list for the current metagame would be as follows:

3 Bloodbraid Elf
    4 Dark Confidant
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Tarmogoyf

4 Liliana of the Veil

2 Lightning Bolt
    3 Abrupt Decay
    3 Punishing Fire

4 Thoughtseize
    3 Hymn to Tourach
    1 Maelstrom Pulse

1 Sylvan Library
    1 Chains of Mephistopheles

1 Forest
    1 Swamp
    2 Wooded Foothills
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Wasteland
    4 Grove of the Burnwillows
    3 Bayou
    2 Badlands

Sideboard:

1 Sylvan Library
    1 Chains of Mephistopheles
    1 Umezawa’s Jitte
    1 Toxic Deluge
    1 Grafdigger’s Cage
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Nihil Spellbomb
    2 Golgari Charm
    1 Massacre
    2 Duress
    2 Ancient Grudge
    1 Engineered Plague

I really love the 2 Library configurations and in some match-ups we want to be in that mode but against other decks we need to turn on 2Chainz. A note about the interaction of Sylvan Library and Chains of Mephistopheles if you choose to take this route. Library is a YOU MAY ability meaning if Chains is out you will need to defer from "looking" at the other 2 cards in your draw step. Frequently Library use is played in the manner Scry 3 would be except you're technically drawing these cards. If you do this with Chains in play you will need to discard cards and then put some back or pay life. Tragic. Don't get caught screwing this up, it will end you.

Finally, if the meta shifts or your opponent decided to move to Dig Through Time over Treasure Cruise your Chains of Mephistopheles will do nothing. Dig puts the cards in hand not draw so in this way Dig gets around Chains just like Bob does for us. If you encounter this I'd advise switching to double Library mode and heavier discard, Duress would be a must.

I'll be putting some testing into this leading up to Legacy Champs in Philly and will follow up with you.

Stay strong Jund Bros. Don't panic.

I'm curious who else is coming to Philly. Would you be interested in meeting up?

Mar 2009

Went 2-1 in my weekly local.

Round 1 got a bye

Round 2 Beat UR Delver 2-0. My opponent could have killed me multiple times in g1, but he kept burning my planeswalkers/creatures instead of me when I was at 3 or less. Didn't feel like I deserved to win, but somehow I did.

Round 3 Lost to Bant. Game 1 I just naturally lost to mother of runes and a knight which I didn't quite get enough removal for. Game 2 started off amazingly for me, but we both went in to topdeck mode where Jund usually shines. My opponent got a treasure cruise though, and just drew into gas which was unmatched by my meager draws of lands. Ended up falling behind on board after 2 relics to shrinks my goyfs, and then a rest in peace to seal the deal. his final board was 2 stoneforges, 1 equipped with a SoFaI, a noble hierarch, and a dryad arbor. I just got legitimately ground out, and 1 of the relics was able to hit my punishing fire to turn off my engine. I never saw another, but it would have been too late after RiP anyways. This matchup usually plays out quite favorably for me, so I think I can just chalk this one up to bad draws (which the blue decks don't seem to ever have any more).

It felt bad losing to what should be a bye, but oh well. That is magic.

Looking at this as an option for the GP. Would the mainboard Diabolic Edict be better off as a Golgari Charm? I feel like in a heavy Treasure Cruise meta that the Golgari Charm has more options to sweep Elementals along with True-Name. I thought about Jund Charm and I like the pyroclasm, but the other modes seem less impactful. The graveyard removal is nice but seems like a waste, and it will get filled up in time regardless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Ground games with this deck for 6 hours last night against Cruise control decks and Cruise delver. After board its a fun matchup. Preboard is even. Maindeck Reb is better than maindeck Chains, imho. Reb hits more things than charm or edict.

Matt did you use the list above?

Mar 2009

So I was on Reddit this morning reading the MTG Legacy threads and some silly person spoke of splashing blue for treasure cruise.

I gave it a try with this list:

4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Abrupt Decay
    4 Thoughtseize
    3 Hymn to Tourach
    3 Treasure Cruise
    4 Liliana of the Veil
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Tarmogoyf
    3 Bloodbraid Elf
    4 Dark Confidant
    1 Underground Sea
    1 Volcanic Island
    2 Badlands
    2 Bayou
    1 Taiga
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Wasteland
    1 Swamp
    3 Wooded Foothills
    1 Tropical Island
    SB: 2 Swan Song
    SB: 2 Red Elemental Blast
    SB: 1 Umezawa's Jitte
    SB: 1 Engineered Plague
    SB: 2 Golgari Charm
    SB: 2 Duress
    SB: 2 Surgical Extraction
    SB: 1 Grafdigger's Cage
    SB: 1 Pithing Needle
    SB: 1 Ancient Grudge

Clearly not optimal at all, but I beat a Grixis Delver deck. I think I need to cut Dark Confidant for another creature, possibly just Delver or Shardless Agent. What do you guys think? Could this even be considered Jund anymore?

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Please do not play TC in the same deck as Bob. If you do please hand a champagne bottle to your opponent whenever you flip one card advantage engine with your other card advantage engine and ask him to shoot you in the face with the cork.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Jun 2008
    Toronto, Canada

Please do not play TC in the same deck as Bob. If you do please hand a champagne bottle to your opponent whenever you flip one card advantage engine with your other card advantage engine and ask him to shoot you in the face with the cork.
    Shoot you in the face with the cork... LOL!

Yeah, there's a very real threat to cramming all sorts of crazy new cards in decks where they don't belong, but TC is a whole different level.

Mar 2009

Please do not play TC in the same deck as Bob. If you do please hand ae to your opponent whenever you flip one card advantage engine with your other card advantage engine and ask him to shoot you in the face with the cork.
    Yeah, I realized that shortly after the match. I wonder what else might be able to go in his slot. Maybe 4 scooze?

Thread Information