Page 84 of 113 FirstFirst ... 347480818283848586878894 ... LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,680 of 2259

Thread: [Deck] Jund

Apr 2014
    Southern California

Re: [Deck] Jund

Quote Originally Posted by I_Hate_Counterspells View Post
    Pop quiz:

(assuming you have a second land in your starting seven)

Turn 1 on the play - how do you choose between DRS or Thoughtseize, against which decks?

Turn 1 on the draw - same question.

[I would give you my suggestion on this but.... I have no idea, hence the question!]
    Going in blind on the play, it's always safest to thoughtseize over DRS, just incase they're running combo. If you already know it's not combo, you probably boarded out the thoughtseize (or a few). So play the deathrite and if they force, well then you two for 1 them.

On the draw, you have to guess what they're playing. If they leaving a blue fetch uncracked, chances are you're going to run into a Daze, so thouhtseize is more important, because you want your deathrite to stick. Same if they turn 1 delver. More than likely if they leave an uncracked fetch they're just going to brainstorm. However, you need to keep a mana up to out play the tempo (delver) decks. Now if they turn 1 mother or runes, lightning bolt (without playing a volcanic island), deathrite shaman, etc. I would go ahead and play my deathrite. If they play main phase brainstorm, ponder or preordain, I almost always assume they're on combo and would play the thoughtseize.

Jan 2015
    Boston, MA

Pop quiz:

(assuming you have a second land in your starting seven)

Turn 1 on the play - how do you choose between DRS or Thoughtseize, against which decks?

Turn 1 on the draw - same question.

[I would give you my suggestion on this but.... I have no idea, hence the question!]

Against any type of Delver or creature based strategy I will be playing Deathrite Shaman on the first turn, play or draw. Against any type of combo deck I will be playing Thoughtseize. Against an unknown opponent it is a tough call, but I would probably error on the side of Thoughtseize.

Jun 2008
    Toronto, Canada

Yea against a combo deck or unknown opponent, Thoughtseize on turn 1 could be the difference (although those decks, blind, game 1 are usually tough, so maybe not).

Against Stoneforge decks, it often can be good to save it for their equipment since they can rarely afford to wait until 4 mana to cast Jitte after fetching it.

I will only play anything other than Thoughtseize on turn one in the following circunstances:
    -I know what he's playing.
    -I have a way too strong hand to mulligan.
    -It's game 2 and his deck is one that doesn't require urgent discarding.
    -If i'm on the draw.

If it's not those four, it's always Thoughtseize!

Hey y'all, so I'v been play testing a proxied version of this deck with my group and on trice and I'm loving the deck. I'm just wondering if there is a general sideboarding rule of thumb against the big decks (miricles, storm, elves, ect)? My board looks something like..

3 REB
    2 surgical
    2 duress
    1 choke
    1 chains
    1 needle
    1 e. Plague
    1 a. Grudge
    1 golgari charm
    1 cage
    1 jitte

Quote Originally Posted by jim111589 View Post
    Hey y'all, so I'v been play testing a proxied version of this deck with my group and on trice and I'm loving the deck. I'm just wondering if there is a general sideboarding rule of thumb against the big decks (miricles, storm, elves, ect)? My board looks something like..

3 REB
    2 surgical
    2 duress
    1 choke
    1 chains
    1 needle
    1 e. Plague
    1 a. Grudge
    1 golgari charm
    1 cage
    1 jitte
    I'm on my phone so a full list takes to long and I don't have it to memory but I am running jraniga's main which can be find here http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=9106&d=251979&f=LE

Apr 2014
    Southern California

Quote Originally Posted by jim111589 View Post

3 REB
    2 surgical
    2 duress
    1 choke
    1 chains
    1 needle
    1 e. Plague
    1 a. Grudge
    1 golgari charm
    1 cage
    1 jitte
    REB - 3 might be too much in the current meta. Before yeah for TC, but now 2 should be enough. I would board into for Delver decks, Miracles, Show and Tell, Storm.

Surgical - for any combo matchup. Turn 1 discard into surgical is living the dream. Also, graveyard decks, which happen to be all combo too

Duress - Again for combo. Except for elves. Also Burn.

Choke - All Blue decks. Expect storm, which is not a blue deck. It's a black deck that cantrips.

Chains - Storm, Elves, Miracles, Omnitell. Enter the infinite and Chains have a funny interaction.

Needle - Maverick, D&T, Elves, Miracles, Painter, MUD. I would advocate for null rod though. That can stop LED and Lotus Petal. Anything that helps against our worst matchup (storm) is better.

E.Plague - Death and Taxes, Elves, TNN decks. I prefer Toxic Deluge and my story is because once I played against and elves player that natural ordered into Progenitus and I Deluged for 10 and won. So yeah. I also board into Toxic Deluge against all delver matchups to stabilize the board if needed. T.D. also great against: Infect, Goblins, Maverick, Etc.

Ancient Grudge - Equipment, MUD, Painter, Storm (although one can argue it could be too late), Death and Taxes, etc. Pretty straight forward.

Golgari Charm - Elves, D&T, TNN Decks, Infect ( for the -1/-1). Board into Miracles, Omnitell (for the destroy enchantment). Esper Stoneblade and Jeskai Stoneblade (for the regeneration against Supreme Verdict, TNN and some are boarding into counterbalance these days).

Cage - Storm, Elves, Maverick, Graveyard decks.

Jitte - Burn, Elves, D&T, Infect, Dead Guy Ale.
    Last edited by DudeItsCorey; 03-04-2015 at 03:15 PM.

Other than the Goblin Rabblemaster discussion a few weeks ago, does anyone have experience of running Jund without Punishing Fire & Burnwillows? Or is it generally accepted nowadays that they are an absolute must-have? Personally, the mana-base with the Groves just feels a little.... ugly.

Apr 2014
    Southern California

Other than the Goblin Rabblemaster discussion a few weeks ago, does anyone have experience of running Jund without Punishing Fire & Burnwillows? Or is it generally accepted nowadays that they are an absolute must-have? Personally, the mana-base with the Groves just feels a little.... ugly.
    Coming from a Maverick Player, where fetching/playing the wrong land can cost you the game, the mana base with groves isn't all that shakey. Between Bobs, Sylvan Library and Fetches getting the right lands/fixing is relatively a non issue. Now there are games that you can be wastelanded out or be mana screwed, but that's legacy/magic in general. I don't see why you would have the want or need to take away the combo that makes the deck beat pretty much all fair decks.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

In all honesty, one of the only reasons to run Jund is because you get REB, a few other sideboard cards, and Punishing Fires. Other than that? Not much reason. This is this shard's main allure. White being SFM/Souls/Teeg, Blue being Cantrips, etc.

-Matt

Also Bolt and BBE.

Jund also run enough fetchlands and DRS which generally makes up for the greed. Some old list from yore also used to run Urborg.

I cannot source any Groves (short supply in my town) so I won't be able to play with P.Fires this weekend. Alternatives? Grim Lavamancer? Anyone tried that?

Also probably up the Decay and Bolt count.

Quote Originally Posted by aluisiocsantos View Post
    Also probably up the Decay and Bolt count.
    This, along with maybe a singleton M. Pulse.

This is what I'll load up and report back:

3 Wastelands
    18 duals/fetch/swamp/forest

4 Abrupt Decay
    2 Diabolic Edict
    3 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Lightning Bolt
    1 Maelstrom Pulse
    1 Sylvan Library
    4 Thoughtseize

2 Liliana of the Veil

3 Bloodbraid Elf
    2 Dark Confidant
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Tarmogoyf
    2 Scavenging Ooze
    3 Grim Lavamancer

Sideboard: all the usual suspects

Yeah, I know, 21 lands is being greedy but f$%k it. "Half a league, half a league, half a league onward...."!

How has Jund been doing lately?

@I_Hate_Counterspells

21 lands is ridiculously greedy. The last list of Pun-Less Jund that topped ran 24 (w/4 Waselands) ( Jund by Thea Seele ).

Quote Originally Posted by Krimson Viper View Post
    Fairly good, judging by the MTG top 8, though I suspect that not many people are playing it nowadays.

Im pretty sure you want 4 dark confidants too, though if you don't I'd take the risk and put Tombstalker. I've experimented before with 2 bobs and him and it was sorta cool.

Apr 2014
    Southern California

This is what I'll load up and report back:

3 Wastelands
    18 duals/fetch/swamp/forest

4 Abrupt Decay
    2 Diabolic Edict
    3 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Lightning Bolt
    1 Maelstrom Pulse
    1 Sylvan Library
    4 Thoughtseize

2 Liliana of the Veil

3 Bloodbraid Elf
    2 Dark Confidant
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Tarmogoyf
    2 Scavenging Ooze
    3 Grim Lavamancer

Sideboard: all the usual suspects

Yeah, I know, 21 lands is being greedy but f$%k it. "Half a league, half a league, half a league onward...."!
    Yeah, more lands is definitely the right call given your curve. I'd also include more Lilys and Bobs over the edict and lavamancer. If you still have space open, Tombstalker always does a lot of work.

Apr 2014
    Southern California

Quote Originally Posted by Krimson Viper View Post
    I don't think enough people are playing it right now to say it's not or is doing well. People have been on a Bug kick lately and I think all the non-blue fair deck players are on Maverick and D&T.

Thread Information