Thread: Cook’s Kitchen – Storming into Edison (02/10/2013): Tenth Place

Bryant Cook

Cook’s Kitchen – Storming into Edison (02/10/2013): Tenth Place

Cook’s Kitchen – Storming into Edison (02/10/2013): Tenth Place

This week's article. This past weekend's report.

The only one he ever feared
    Oct 2009
    Sweden's Jerusalem

Re: Cook’s Kitchen – Storming into Edison (02/10/2013): Tenth Place

Nice report.

So... who's the thief? :P

Nice job on the finish. I've been playing your list at my local shop for the last few weeks and I've been very impressed. Thanks for all your work on it.

With regards to your match analysis, I wouldn't entirely agree that you lost your 2nd match due to luck. You took an aggressive line and paid for it. That 12 post deck isn't going to kill you fast so I'm not sure you need to drop "a bunch of goblins" on your first turn.

Rather than brainstorming on your first turn you could of pondered. Then your second turn you could of brainstormed, fetched and pondered again; seeing a lot more of your deck.

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by testing32 View Post
    Nice job on the finish. I've been playing your list at my local shop for the last few weeks and I've been very impressed. Thanks for all your work on it.

With regards to your match analysis, I wouldn't entirely agree that you lost your 2nd match due to luck. You took an aggressive line and paid for it. That 12 post deck isn't going to kill you fast so I'm not sure you need to drop "a bunch of goblins" on your first turn.

Rather than brainstorming on your first turn you could of pondered. Then your second turn you could of brainstormed, fetched and pondered again; seeing a lot more of your deck.
    I'm going to have to disagree with you here. My round two against David, in the third game, he drew his only card to interact with me that he possibly could have drawn on his first turn to stop me from winning the game. I'll call that good luck for him, unfortunate for me.

Against Post sometimes it's best to win before their counter spells are active, he has four Flusterstorm and four Spell Pierce with no way to answer Empty the Warrens. With spare cantrips in that hand I believe it's correct to attempt to win the game before his spells are relevant. It's not about Post applying pressure, keeping open Flusterstorms and Pierces would be enough against that hand until it's time to do something else. I believe I made the correct move, it just didn't pan out - it happens.

snooty tea cats

Jan 2008

Neat. The tournament reports you post would make for better reads if you didn't use such a condescending tone when describing your opponents.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Ochoa
    Shuffles, much like commas, are useful for altering tempo to add feeling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    I just come for the pretty pictures and mono-trolls.

Like a man bear, just more pig like
    Aug 2009
    Aarhus, Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by Ertai's Familiar View Post
    Neat. The tournament reports you post would make for better reads if you didn't use such a condescending tone when describing your opponents.
    Please, don't ever change the tone of your reports. It would be like a Tarantino-film without violence.

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Oh god, I played your MUD mindbreak trap opponent. It's really frightening how much people decide they need to board against storm before they are satisfied.

Thanks for the report, I always enjoy reading about storm.
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Site Contributor

Dec 2011

Quote Originally Posted by NesretepNoj View Post
    Please, don't ever change the tone of your reports. It would be like a Tarantino-film without violence.

Agreed. I don't even think the tone is condescending, just blunt and matter-of-fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammit67 View Post
    Oh god, I played your MUD mindbreak trap opponent. It's really frightening how much people decide they need to board against storm before they are satisfied.

Thanks for the report, I always enjoy reading about storm.
    I laughed when I saw that the MUD player did in fact have mindbreak traps in his board. Seriously? That guy should go 0-X on the day playing mindbreak trap in MUD. Card is fucking terrible there. There are at least 8 cards I would consider before mindbreak trap and I bet he didn't even play 4 and those are sphere of resistance and thorn of amethyst, which are both good against storm combo as well as other decks as well sometimes. Mindbreak trap? Just the worst card to be played in a MUD deck ever.

Your jund opponent sacked out, drawing that thoughtseize. That's super aggravating, when you probe them and see that they have stone nothing and then they lucksack into the card they need the most. The only real consolation is that your opponent had a clue as to what he should play turn 1 (I know players who would go with deathrite shaman turn 1 over thoughtseize when they know the opponent is on storm and it's fucking sickening.)

I hate fucking thieves so much, whenever I go to large scale events like SCG's my number one priority is almost watching my stuff. It's right up there with playing optimally in my eyes and it shouldn't have to be. Thieves are a stain on the game. I feel sorry for your friend Jim Higginbottom, he probably lost 3 grand or something at least due to that theft. FBB U. sea's are very pricy and they aren't exactly easy to find either at least in the US.
    Bread Connoisseur on MTGSalvation Forums
    Currently Playing:
    All flavors of storm combo
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix
    Lands is a joke for Solidarity. Its like asking a morbidly obese parapalegic to run the mile with his shoes tied.

Thread Information