Page 55 of 58 FirstFirst ... 5455152535455565758 LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 1143

Thread: Oops, All Spells! (Formerly The Rogue Hermit)

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Re: Oops, All Spells! (Formerly The Rogue Hermit)

So, we have moved this thread to Established, but we actually don't have a written Primer yet. I'd encourage people who are familiar with the deck to possibly work together to make one, or if some brave soul wants to take it on themselves. Thanks.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    So, we have moved this thread to Established, but we actually don't have a written Primer yet. I'd encourage people who are familiar with the deck to possibly work together to make one, or if some brave soul wants to take it on themselves. Thanks.
    Reporting in! Anyone who's interested, let's PM about it. I love this deck (it was my first Legacy deck!), but I don't feel I'm a good enough player to take the lead.

Do any of the users who started/developed this thread and the deck have input? Anyone still posting around here in 2021?
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

Dec 2011
    Barcelona, Catalonia

Hey there folks,

I'd absolutely love to see a primer for this deck, but I don't have the skill (neither playing it nor writting in English ). I'm currently playing it in some small, informal paper tournaments and I can't be happier with it. I'm playing the exact 75 Martin_Dominguez used to win the Challenge; I'm not 100% sold on the 2 Therapy/2 Thoughtseize split though, I think that I prefer a 3rd Therapy instead of the 2nd Thoughtseize. I would also play 3 or 4 Xantids SB, but I'm not sure wtah to take out then. Oh, and given that there's a couple of Show and Tell players in my meta, I'm toying with the idea of including a Progenitus in the sideboard, but maybe is too situational, I don't know.

Just for reference, I played 20 rounds so far with the deck and here's the results:

2-1 vs Depths
    1-0 vs Reanimator
    1-0 vs Goblins
    1-0 vs TES
    1-0 vs Snow Miracles
    3-0 vs Omni-Tell
    0-1 vs Sultai Delver
    1-0 vs Sneak Show
    1-0 vs Burn
    1-2 vs Grixis Shadow (with Surgical Extractions maindeck! )
    1-0 vs Spirits
    1-0 vs Snowko
    1-0 vs Infect
    1-0 vs U/R Delver

The deck is real!
    Colorless is the new blue
    http://ooh---shiny.blogspot.com

Aug 2015
    The woods again

I've got a primer in the works. Glory to Phazonmutant and all other contributors to the earlier primers! DM me if you want to participate! ALL HAIL THE NEW FLESH!
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub

Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?

Quote Originally Posted by gRR!! View Post
    Hey there folks,

I'd absolutely love to see a primer for this deck, but I don't have the skill (neither playing it nor writting in English ). I'm currently playing it in some small, informal paper tournaments and I can't be happier with it. I'm playing the exact 75 Martin_Dominguez used to win the Challenge; I'm not 100% sold on the 2 Therapy/2 Thoughtseize split though, I think that I prefer a 3rd Therapy instead of the 2nd Thoughtseize. I would also play 3 or 4 Xantids SB, but I'm not sure wtah to take out then. Oh, and given that there's a couple of Show and Tell players in my meta, I'm toying with the idea of including a Progenitus in the sideboard, but maybe is too situational, I don't know.

Just for reference, I played 20 rounds so far with the deck and here's the results:

2-1 vs Depths
    1-0 vs Reanimator
    1-0 vs Goblins
    1-0 vs TES
    1-0 vs Snow Miracles
    3-0 vs Omni-Tell
    0-1 vs Sultai Delver
    1-0 vs Sneak Show
    1-0 vs Burn
    1-2 vs Grixis Shadow (with Surgical Extractions maindeck! )
    1-0 vs Spirits
    1-0 vs Snowko
    1-0 vs Infect
    1-0 vs U/R Delver

The deck is real!
    Um doesn’t Progenitus turn your wins into draws since you have a loop that never ends? Progenitus seems like it would usually lose to Emrakul or Griselbrand or omni as well. I think agent of treachery is the designated “screw s&t in particular” sideboard card for burn.

Great results!

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    Um doesn’t Progenitus turn your wins into draws since you have a loop that never ends? Progenitus seems like it would usually lose to Emrakul or Griselbrand or omni as well. I think agent of treachery is the designated “screw s&t in particular” sideboard card for burn.
    I would prefer Agent of Treachery as well, but I think the idea with Progenitus works. The sequence would be opponent plays Show and Tell and puts in Emrakul, you put in a rogue and flip your deck, and then Progenitus shuffles in, leaving you one card in your library for next turn.

The wording on Balustrade Spy is:
    When Balustrade Spy enters the battlefield, target player reveals cards from the top of their library until they reveal a land card, then puts those cards into their graveyard.

So the cards are all revealed first as a group and then they all go into the graveyard as one action. When the cards go to the graveyard, the Spy's ability has concluded and will not occur again unless you were to blink it or something. This is a little different from Grindstone or Brain Freeze.

Dec 2011
    Barcelona, Catalonia

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    I would prefer Agent of Treachery as well, but I think the idea with Progenitus works. The sequence would be opponent plays Show and Tell and puts in Emrakul, you put in a rogue and flip your deck, and then Progenitus shuffles in, leaving you one card in your library for next turn.

The wording on Balustrade Spy is:
    When Balustrade Spy enters the battlefield, target player reveals cards from the top of their library until they reveal a land card, then puts those cards into their graveyard.

So the cards are all revealed first as a group and then they all go into the graveyard as one action. When the cards go to the graveyard, the Spy's ability has concluded and will not occur again unless you were to blink it or something. This is a little different from Grindstone or Brain Freeze.
    This is correct, it was an standard solution in Manaless Dredge vs Show and Tell decks. The idea is that, if opponent doesn't have Omniscience and Cunning Wish to win on the spot (and we are over 15 life), we should win next turn no matter what: even if he has Show to Omni to Emrakul, he will attack with Emrakul in his extra turn, we'll sacrifice our 4 Narcomoebas, create 4 zombie tokens due to Bridge, and win on our next turn. I've already won some match just deploying Undercity Informer from his S&T and sacrificing it in my next turn, but this is not possible with Spy. I might try Progenitus this next week, I'll let you know how it works!
    Colorless is the new blue
    http://ooh---shiny.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Deuce View Post
    I've got a primer in the works. Glory to Phazonmutant and all other contributors to the earlier primers! DM me if you want to participate! ALL HAIL THE NEW FLESH!
    Any news on the primer? :)
    Regards

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Quote Originally Posted by t000 View Post
    Any news on the primer? :)
    I started working on it, but while dealing with a death in my girlfriend's family and planning a move out of state, I found out I'm going to have a son! It's been . . . a year.

If anyone else has made a start, I'd like to collaborate, but at the moment I've had to put the primer on the back burner. I'll try to get a draft of the document ready, but as a somewhat scrubby player, I feel the primer needs input from people who have put up results. If anyone has info on (especially) current matchups and sideboard strategy, those are two areas that are deficient because I haven't been able to play much recently.

Will report back soon with more information. PM me if you're interested in collaborating or if you can provide input on those topics! Sorry I've failed to deliver thus far.

EDIT: So it turns out I actually got a bit farther along than I'd remembered. The primer's not ready, but it has taken shape. If anyone wants a read, again, PM me!
    Last edited by Ronald Deuce; 01-27-2021 at 03:36 PM.

Omae wa mou shindeiru

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Here's the primer as it exists. It's VERY MUCH unfinished, but it's what I've got so far. If you want to get involved in the editing process, hit me with a PM and I'll share the doc with editing privileges. The thing most needs input from Genuinely Good Magicians (unlike yours truly!), especially regarding our matchups, but any and all suggestions are welcome!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub

Omae wa mou shindeiru

Oh, that is a verry good start Ronald Deuce . Lots of interesting thoughts in that "beta" primer
    Regards

Very good primer. Some things I would add as someone playing against it:

Remind people that dread return can actually be hardcast. I just lost this week to t1 Thoughtseize their only spy, then their t1 they topdeck dread return, hard cast it and won. (I may have been a tiny bit salty since I had a rip in my hand).

I’m not sure why you play pact over leyline of lifeforce but you should at least discuss the pros & cons (beats any number of Counterspells/doesn’t lose the game vs beats surgical or if mana choked)

Lands has a list of how many basics each decks play. The most useful resource of this primer would be typical sideboard hate and t1/t0 disruption for each deck spread out in a table, since that is the hard part of oops.

It is also good form to include any common rules interactions of the deck. It is probably obvious to any experienced player, but you should probably explain pregame effects (103.5 reveal chancellor vs leyline in active player non active player order) and priority (why sudden death can’t stop you from saccing informer)

On the crazy side 4 narco 2 bridge 2 dread return 2 Thassa oracle 1 coffin purge 1 cabal therapy can beat surgical by purging whatever is targeted before you therapy it. That’s only 3-4 sb slots and you would see it every game.

Aug 2015
    The woods again

I've incorporated some of this information and fleshed out the sideboard card choices. I'll definitely get working on the "rules" and "matchups/sideboarding" sections, but those are a lot more intensive, so it will take time.

Thank you all for your responses!

EDIT: I'm also trying to make sure I credit everyone who's contributed. Stay tuned!

Omae wa mou shindeiru

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Further updates to the primer: I've included a list of specific problem cards grouped by the turn they come online. A link to the updated primer: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub

Omae wa mou shindeiru

Looked at some of your updates. You may want to explain that extirpate can be countered by chancellor of the annex and chalice, which is unintuitive.

Non-eldrazi Stompy decks are starting to run Torpor orb as a way to beat doomsday. You may want to include that as a sideboard hate.

Has anyone tried destroy the evidence as spy number 9 now that oops actually runs lands?

Meddling mage and Teeg are other common hate Bears that you could mention perhaps (both stop dread return). You’ll only see them t1 out of 4c Loam though.

Not sure if anyone else other than me goes drit lost legacy, but necromentia is a new and improved version most decks will be playing instead (can hit dark depths)

Elvish reclaimer should be added to the crop section, since you lose if it untaps.

Overall seems great.

Sep 2011

Not sure if anyone else other than me goes drit lost legacy, but necromentia is a new and improved version most decks will be playing instead (can hit dark depths)
    You might be the only person playing Necromentia. May not be worth building around. It is forgotten tech, a lost legacy.

Edit: I found very few hits in MTGTop8

This NicFit ran 4 copies in the SB, but no Dark Rit: https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=28855&d=427760&f=LE
    Probably too slow to interact with Oops unless their Therapies do work

This Black Stompy deck ran a few copies: https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=28855&d=427760&f=LE
    No Dark Rit though. It's closer to my old Pack Rat Stompy tech. Realistically MD Leyline is a much bigger issue than Necromentia.

This Pox list has 1 copy SB with Dark Rits: https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=28790&d=427268&f=LE

The pun was excellent. Unmoored ego is going to be played over both if the deck is blue. This turbo Valki deck got top16 with it

https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=29225&d=429996&f=LE

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Looked at some of your updates. . . . Overall seems great.
    Ooooh! All good points! I'd forgotten, especially, the way Chancellor works when I was discussing Extirpate.

Destroy the Evidence seems pretty awesome. I'd forgotten that card existed, so it's definitely going into the primer as a possible inclusion!

I'm not sure I'll have the changes up today, but they're coming up. [EDIT: Shazaam!] Thank you again for the input!

Omae wa mou shindeiru

Thread Information