Page 46 of 58 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast

Thread: Oops, All Spells! (Formerly The Rogue Hermit)

Re: The Rogue Hermit

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    I think wild chancellor is actually wild cantor.
    Good eyes, thanks.

No I don’t SB in all 15 cards, I SB in Unmask for Chancellor of the Annex on the draw vs aggro control with Surgical Extractions and the 8 artifact destruction cards for Pact of Negation and Chancellor of the Annex on the draw vs prison decks with Chalice of the Void - Emerald Charm is strictly for decks that are likely to SB in Leylines and you can choose between 3 Emerald Charm and 4 Natural State or 3 Natural State and 4 Emerald Charm as you need.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

If you expect less blue in your local meta, you can run manamorphose over some of the pact of negation, but I think the list is good.
    -rob

I’ve been gold fishing well enough without them, it just puts more strain on pacts to filter instead of accelerate.

Quote Originally Posted by Final Fortune View Post
    Good eyes, thanks.

No I don’t SB in all 15 cards, I SB in Unmask for Chancellor of the Annex on the draw vs aggro control with Surgical Extractions and the 8 artifact destruction cards for Pact of Negation and Chancellor of the Annex on the draw vs prison decks with Chalice of the Void - Emerald Charm is strictly for decks that are likely to SB in Leylines and you can choose between 3 Emerald Charm and 4 Natural State or 3 Natural State and 4 Emerald Charm as you need.
    Thanks.
    You play this list with good results?

Quote Originally Posted by caprino View Post
    Thanks.
    You play this list with good results?
    Good enough, I think it really comes down to what SB cards you expect to see as a lot of post board matches are just about Leyline. Otherwise I’m up on aggro control right now, cutting the 3rd combo piece, Bridge and a Therapy for Aall of the Chancellors was a big deal fwiw.

The Belcher plan is garbage, the people who advocate for it apparently don’t realize how much your win rate drops by playing a strictly worse Belcher deck and casting Spoils of the Vault.

Lotleth Giant looks great,

4 Balustrade Spy
    4 Undercity Informer
    4 Narcomoeba
    1 Dreadreturn
    1 Lotleth Giant
    4 Pact of Negation
    4 Chancellor of the Annex
    1 Cabal Therapy
    4 Street Wraith
    4 Chancellor of the Tangle
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Summoner’s Pact
    1 Wild Cantor
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Cabal Ritual

34 creatures, well out of any life gaining abilities.

SB

4 Unmask
    4 Nature’s Claim
    4 Natural State
    3 Emerald Charm
    I test yesterday this list 4 1 in league.

W vs death and taxes 2 0, loam 2 1, sneak and show 2 0, maverick 2 0

Lose vs Standstill 1 2

I think this list is solid. Vs blue deck chancellor and pact of negation is very good. Unmask is very important card

Glad to hear it held up for you, I’ve also been quite happy with it.

Glad to hear it held up for you, I’ve also been quite happy with it.
    One question for you.. Write side guide vs tiers deck ok? I think is good

interesting decklist
    curious about side tables too ^^

Quote Originally Posted by caprino View Post
    One question for you.. Write side guide vs tiers deck ok? I think is good
    Siding isn’t a secret, Chancellor of the Annex comes out for Unmask vs blue decks when you’re on the draw and the green removal comes in for Pact of Negation and Chancellor of the Annex vs aggro on the draw - with Charm if you expect Leylines and obviously regardless of being on the play/draw. Chancellor of the Annex only ever stays in on the draw vs discard based disruption (mainly other combo decks) and Unmask only ever comes in on the play vs Faerie Macabre.

I haven’t needed anything more complex than that honestly, I generally over side for Leyline game 2 since it is really popular in Eldrazi and Goblins etc.

Look, it's a picture of Daze!
    Jan 2007
    Vienna, Austria

So, after a hiatus from Legacy I'm intrigued by this deck, and the possibility of a one-card-combo for four mana. However, there are some things I need to have in this deck, which is

a) Lion's Eye Diamond, because it is an incredible card for such decks
    b) cards which can fetch solutions, combo pieces, and mana, thus providing versatility

In one word: I want tutors, which are also awesome with LED. The only question is which ones...

My current take on the deck is to improve the targets for Summoning Pact, which is a awesome tutor, and also play Diabolic Intent (along with things to sac) as well as Traverse the Ulvenwald. Yes, Traverse. It fetches the one basic Swamp in the deck, and if I have Delirium - not so improbable in this build - it can get a combo piece very cheap. If I play Traverse and crack LED in response, getting Delirium, I can use the mana to play out Informer.

LED means that Pact of Negation will have to leave for Thoughtseize though. So:

Combo:

4 Undercity Informer
    4 Balustrade Spy
    3 Narcomoeba
    1 Dread Return
    1 Lotleth Giant
    1 Empty the Warrens

Mana:

4 Culling the Weak
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Shield Sphere
    2 Chrome Mox
    1 Elvish Spirit Guide
    1 Gatecreeper Vine
    1 Burning-Tree Emissary

Tutors:

4 Traverse the Ulvenwald
    4 Summoning Pact
    3 Diabolic Intent

Protection:

4 Thoughtseize
    4 Chancellor of the Annex
    1 Cabal Therapy

The tutors are flexible - Summoning Pact can get a Vine if I need to get the Swamp out of the deck, or an Elvish Spirit Guide for initial mana, or an Emissary to sac to Culling the Weak. Traverse can get the Swamp or a combo piece. Diabolic Intent can get Empty the Warrens if graveyard hate or countermagic is on the table. The list has a potential 11 initial mana sources and a potential 15 Spies in it.

The sideboard will almost certainly have four Charbelchers in it to make full use of LED and get around graveyard hate.

Points for discussion:
    - I really wish there was a green creature like Imperial Recruiter, which would enable Summoning Pact - crack LED in response - tutor up a Spy with Pact.
    - Diabolic Intent looks good on paper, but with Culling also there it's not always playable. I will definitely put in the new Mausoleum Secrets in this spot and test it, or cut back on the number of Culling for more Elvish Spirit Guides
    - The Swamp can be an issue sometimes, though if I have Informer + another creature (like Shield Sphere) to go off I can overcome this issue
    - the two Chrome Moxes might be better off as Elvish Spirit Guides #2 and #3

Waiting for feedback from all of you!
    georgjorge
    Geistreich sind schon die anderen.

Site Contributor

Dec 2008
    Cambridge, MA

Quote Originally Posted by georgjorge View Post
    So, after a hiatus from Legacy I'm intrigued by this deck, and the possibility of a one-card-combo for four mana.

Waiting for feedback from all of you!

That's funny: I also just came back to Legacy/Magic. And since I still hate the combat step I've also been looking at this deck.

I haven't conducted a ton of testing yet, but I also found Culling/Diabolic Intent interesting when I also decided to include them in some number (like 2-3 each, with Dryad Arbor/Land Grant - rather than the normal Tall Men). My list was running manamorphose rather than LED. I'm not sure it was really any better than what Final Fortune already listed, though.

Never considered Traverse the Ulvenwald, so I'm interested to hear how that kind of design tests. Although, I feel like that list is going to be a lot less consistent.

Honestly you guys should just try to play one of the existing lists in order to understand how they work instead of reinventing the wheel with some ideas that sound either pretty bad from experience or better suited to Gamekeeper.

Edit: Traverse is a neat idea tho.

Look, it's a picture of Daze!
    Jan 2007
    Vienna, Austria

I kind of see what you mean - after some testing, the "sacrifice creatures" plan is not good enough, so Culling / Shield Sphere / Intent need to be cut (or at least reduced to one or two copies). Burning-Tree Emissary is also not really needed.

In: the full 4 Elvish Spirit Guides plus a Foul Emissary. Foul Emissary is not reliable at all in finding a Spy, but there are situations where we don't have a spy, but too much mana and a Summoning Pact in hand, and Emissary at least gives us a shot at winning those games. And I'm still convinced that this deck needs LED, and have as of yet never been sad to see it in my hand.

The question is what the final six or seven cards in the deck should be, because nothing stands out to me as really good right now. I would probably put in another copy of a card to get the Swamp out of the deck (Lay of the Land or something), maybe a Dark Petition, maybe a Pact of Negation for non-LED hands. But after that...? I even thought of putting in three copies of Entomb and four copies of Exhume to increase the chance of going off.

Entomb would
    - get a Spy on the table with Exhume
    - put a Narcomoeba on the table as a sac outlet (though not so needed with less Cullings and Intents)
    - make Traverse a better Spy tutor

Exhume would
    - get a Spy on the table with Entomb
    - add an extra mana with LED out and a Spy in hand (since it doesn't target)
    - make a cheap Spy when it has been countered already

...but it's likely more cute than effective.
    georgjorge
    Geistreich sind schon die anderen.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

dark petition might be okay for hands that have something like Rit + cabal rit + 3 other mana sources. it's a bit tough. the double ritual hands are okay.

d-rit, d-rit, petal, X mana source, dark petition is a win.

maybe just try one of the existing lists and run 1. if you don't have summoner's pact then you can cast dark petition for 5 mana and pass the turn hoping to draw a mana source the following turn.
    -rob

Someone me podria to explain since this last list works

Any funny new ideas :) ?

And do we have a discord ^^ ?

The storm like does??
    I put overgrown tomb with that we have easily to search

For that it is possible to change gatecreeper for landgrant and look for the double land

Jul 2006
    Tokyo, Japan

Quote Originally Posted by gato con botas View Post
    For that it is possible to change gatecreeper for landgrant and look for the double land
    This deck never, ever, never, not in a million years, for any reason, in any situation, wants to play more than zero lands.

Even if you have 1 land, and 8 land grants, the games where you don't draw the 1 land or one the 8 Land Grants, you lose.

The deck is somewhat consistent because it only needs to be able to slam one of 8 cards in the deck (a spy).

IF you have the nuts hand, which is just one spy and mana to cast it, you win (aside from being disrupted). Adding a land + land grant means you have even more variables to help you lose the game.

Thread Information