Page 38 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast

Thread: Oops, All Spells! (Formerly The Rogue Hermit)

Re: The Rogue Hermit

Quote Originally Posted by ccab View Post
    Got a list?
    It's the japanese list a few posts up.

Jan 2010
    UK

Just started putting it together as I got bored of those fair decks. Used to play Manaless Dredge for a while so familiar with this 'all in' scheme. Deck looks and plays great and those 38 pages are invaluable amount of knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by compacta_d View Post
    bit late, but having a trickelion with 60 odd counters and a progenitus in your library means you don't die to the draw step, can kill any blockers, and swing for lethal.

Leyline of sanctity effects don't really matter to that specific combo.
    Having to pay for a Summoner's Pact would put you in a bit of a pickle then wouldn't it? Do you board these out if you anticipate leyline?

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    Having to pay for a Summoner's Pact would put you in a bit of a pickle then wouldn't it? Do you board these out if you anticipate leyline?
    Possibly.

Also you would just not cast it. Leyline begins game in play. Casting it would be a big punt. Likely just wait a turn to draw a different mana source.

Quote Originally Posted by compacta_d View Post
    bit late, but having a trickelion with 60 odd counters and a progenitus in your library means you don't die to the draw step, can kill any blockers, and swing for lethal.

Leyline of sanctity effects don't really matter to that specific combo.
    wouldnt triskelion's power by 60 odd but have only 3 counters to use for killing blockers etc..?

Quote Originally Posted by GradStudent View Post
    wouldnt triskelion's power by 60 odd but have only 3 counters to use for killing blockers etc..?
    No.

The combo uses mimeoplasm + lord of extinction.
    So the text on mimeoplasm is:
    If you do, it enters the battlefield as a copy of one of those cards with a number of additional +1/+1 counters on it equal to the power of the other card

So the copy is triskelion, and the +1/+1 counters are of Lord of extinction's P/T.

For people still interested in "Oops, All Spells" I think I improved on the core of the deck by using Land Grant, Bayou and Wirewood Guardian in order to play with more consistent mana sources and enable Cabal Therapy - I'd really recommend this approach over Manamorphose and Wild Cantor because even tho' Wirewood Guardian reduces your total mana to filter for black the deck generally doesn't have a problem hitting 5 mana to win on the spot and Land Grant -> Bayou protected by Pact of Negation is just insanely good.

4 Balustrade Spy
    4 Undercity Informer
    4 Narcomoeba
    1 Dread Return
    1 Mimeoplasm
    1 Triskelion
    1 Lord of Extinction
    4 Pact of Negation
    2 Cabal Therapy
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Cabal Ritual
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 Chancellor of the Tangle
    4 Summoner's Pact
    1 Wirewood Guardian
    4 Land Grant
    1 Bayou

Granted Bayou adds another possible "problem" to winning, but I think if you figure out Wirewood Guardian's optimal number in the deck for consistency being able to run a land and enable Cabal Therapy is well worth it - and who plays this deck for consistency anyway?

I don't think that the land grant package is really improving the deck. Cons:
    - None of the six cards in hand :( no combo
    - Multiple of the six cards in hand :(
    - Enables wasteland & co
    - Opponent knows hand after land grant is cast and how to interrupt the combo for sure, if possible.

But if it works for you - fine. Consider Jhessian Zombies as land cycler. Imprints for black. Or Elvish Aberration if you want stay with forest cycling.

Edit: maybe green cycler is better with S. Pact, but after casting Pact, the cycler -> land is worse as just guide.
    If you want to have access to lands maybe living wish/LED build is overall better.
    Last edited by perian; 01-31-2018 at 08:01 AM.

There are 10 outs to Bayou if you Summoner's Pact for Wirewood Guardian, but as far as making the deck better or worse I think you have to weigh having 5 more initial black mana sources against the "no land" fizzle rate and decide whether or not you want the speed vs instability. In my mind this deck is never going to be a stable deck with only 8 win conditions anyway, so I'd rather have the maximum speed possible. Maybe the added mana makes some things more consistent, for instance playing Living Wish without Lion's Eye Diamond for 11 win conditions or we can reduce the overall instability by playing Swampcycling to better guarantee the Bayou.

Principally I really like this approach tho' because it turns Cabal Therapy into a card that can be cast off of more than just Chrome Mox, and Land Grant is only really detrimental if you're trying to play the Green Trap to punish them for waiting to counter your combo piece instead of your mana.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

been playing around with this deck on cockatrice for a few days now. i never really played this deck before and just wrote it off. i do enjoy playing belcher or spanish from time to time, and not sure what peaked my interest for this deck again.

main issue as always is consistency and i can propose a list. it is glass cannony and doesn't play pact or chancellor to protect itself. what it can do is provide another semi win condition for just 2B, that card is buried alive. if you're unfamiliar with the interaction, you fetch 1 narcomoeba and 2 prized amalgam. it will then present 7 damage on the first turn, in those games you can just hope it will be good enough. i think this is a better strategy than just mulliganning into oblivion.

// 60 Maindeck
    // 8 Artifact
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Lotus Petal

// 28 Creature
    4 Balustrade Spy
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    1 Laboratory Maniac
    4 Narcomoeba
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Undercity Informer
    1 Wild Cantor
    1 Underworld Cerberus
    1 Street Wraith
    3 Prized Amalgam
    1 Chancellor of the Tangle

// 1 Enchantment
    1 Bridge from Below

// 16 Instant
    4 Cabal Ritual
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Manamorphose
    4 Summoner's Pact

// 7 Sorcery
    2 Cabal Therapy
    1 Dread Return
    4 Buried Alive

i ran 10 sample hands into cockatrice. by no means is this to represent %'s for the deck, just wanted to give an idea of what it can do.

g1:
    mull
    t1 buried

g2
    mull
    t1 buried

g3
    t1 kill

g4
    t1 buried with double therapy (sac narco for 2nd)

g5
    t1 cerberus or t1 2 buried alive (3 narco + 3 prized)

g6
    mull 3x into ESP, Buried, Cabal, Manamoprhose. scry spy to the bottom.
    draw spy. next turn draw guide, manamorphose into pact. (turn 2)

g7
    t1 kill

g8
    t1 kill

g9
    mull to 4 into esp, ssg, manamorphose, buried. scry esg to top. t1 buried

g10
    mull to oblivion

-rob

edit:

sb has some options

one i've been interested in is probably running the full set the therapies, amalgam, ichorids, nether shadow, bridges, and 1 progenitus.

it's still cold to rest in peace, tormod's crypt, leyline, but will hold its own against surgical and has the ability to go off several times.

i haven't really fleshed out any sb options though, it's just a draft.

if you don't want to just dodge the grave hate, you can try something like this:

4 goblin rabblemaster
    4 blood moon
    4 magus of the moon
    2 gemstone mine
    1 gemstone caverns

The lands could be rainbow lands too for enabling dark ritual if that's what you prefer. Maybe even gemstone cavern as 1 of them.

Other Attempt I made at making this deck more consistent was keeping the same 52 (dropping 1 tangle, 4 buried, 3 amalgam) and just running 4 show and tell 4 griselbrand. This gives you some other options. You still need to hit griselbrand and show and tell together to bring a grisel into play, but otherwise show and tell functions as a 3 mana way to drop the spy into play.
    Last edited by mistercakes; 03-25-2018 at 05:14 AM.
    -rob

May 2016
    Austin, TX

Hello everyone! Here's a project I've been working on for a while: Oops All Spells with Summoning Trap in place of Pact of Negation (inspired by the Hareyruya list a few posts up). The main reason for the swap is that Trap can be used both offensively and defensively. It also lets us use opposing Chalices as combo enabler post sideboad. Chancellor of the Tangle serves as an extra source of mana and are a decent hit off of Trap if we miss on Spy or Informer. Main deck Progenitus allows us to win off of our opponent's Show and Tells and is another hit off trap.

4 Balustrade Spy
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Undercity Informer
    3 Narcomoeba
    1 Wild Cantor
    1 Goblin Darkdwellers
    1 Haunting Misery
    1 Progenitus

4 Cabal Ritual
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Manamorphose
    4 Summoner’s Pact
    4 Summoning Trap
    2 Cabal Therapy
    2 Bridge from Below
    1 Dread Return

4 Chrome Mox
    4 Lotus Petal

SB://

4 Chancellor of the Annex
    4 Tinder Walls
    3 Progenitus
    1 Azami, Lady of Scrolls
    1 Angel of Glory's Rise
    1 Laboratory Maniac
    1 Wild Cantor

The sideboard is designed to counteract three things: Counter / Surgical decks, Chalice / Leyline of the Void Decks and Leyline of Sanctity decks.

Counter / Surgical Decks

+4 Chancellor of the Annex
    +3 Progenitus

-4 Summoner’s Pact
    -3 Manamorphose

Chalice / Leyline Decks

+3 Progenitus
    +4 Tinder Wall
    +1 Wild Cantor

-4 Dark Ritual
    -4 Summoner’s Pact

Leyline of Sanctity Decks

-1 Goblin Darkdwellers
    -1 Haunting Misery
    -1 Progenitus

+1 Azami, Lady of Scrolls
    +1 Angel of Glory's Rise
    +1 Laboratory Maniac

I'm not entirely sure about the composition of the sideboard. Chancellor of the Annex feels a little meh and may be better off as Xantid Swarm.

Comments and suggestions are appreciated.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

There are some wild ideas in this thread. Bravo!

I really like the Buried Alive package. I think that could be strong enough to incorporate into other decks.

Maybe an upgrade out of Dominaria leak for replacing ceberus.

Garna, the Bloodflame
    3BR
    Legendary Creature — Human Warrior
    3/3
    Flash
    When Garna, the Bloodflame enters the battlefield, return to your hand all creature cards in your graveyard that were put there from anywhere this turn.
    Other creatures you control have haste.

++ other creatures get haste
    + opponent isn't getting his creatures back
    - only creatures that hit grave this turn

Any thoughts? Is it really better?

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Main advantage is it doesn't require a cabal therapy to flashback. You might be able to get away with 1 therapy.

Downside is sometimes Cerberus is a turn 1 monster.
    -rob

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

@finalfortune, nice find.

Quote Originally Posted by Final Fortune View Post
    For people still interested in "Oops, All Spells" I think I improved on the core of the deck by using Land Grant, Bayou and Wirewood Guardian in order to play with more consistent mana sources and enable Cabal Therapy - I'd really recommend this approach over Manamorphose and Wild Cantor because even tho' Wirewood Guardian reduces your total mana to filter for black the deck generally doesn't have a problem hitting 5 mana to win on the spot and Land Grant -> Bayou protected by Pact of Negation is just insanely good.

4 Balustrade Spy
    4 Undercity Informer
    4 Narcomoeba
    1 Dread Return
    1 Mimeoplasm
    1 Triskelion
    1 Lord of Extinction
    4 Pact of Negation
    2 Cabal Therapy
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Cabal Ritual
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 Summoner's Pact
    1 Wirewood Guardian
    4 Land Grant
    1 Bayou

Granted Bayou adds another possible "problem" to winning, but I think if you figure out Wirewood Guardian's optimal number in the deck for consistency being able to run a land and enable Cabal Therapy is well worth it - and who plays this deck for consistency anyway?
    been trying out all different builds of the deck, and i think this version does have its merits. i don't think the build can be touched too much as you gotta be careful of the amount of total creatures in the deck. his build requires just 3 cards to kill.

nice find on this build, it really feels wrong but i think after testing it's not really any worse than the other versions.

my only recommendation is to run more of the forestcycling guys and maybe run tinder walls over the chancellors. less initial mana sources, but it does help pull the bayou out of the deck a bit more.

(maybe 2 tinder, 3 elvish aberration) or 1 tinder wall, 1 chancellor, 3 elvish abb, maybe 1 2 2 as well.. some kind of combination there.

also wanted to mention walking ballista is strictly better than triskelion in this build since if it's stuck in your hand you can just cast it for x=0 to get it into your grave.

edit* i was trying to find ways to make it more consistent even if you can't extract the bayou out.

this is what i would recommend:

// 60 Maindeck
    // 8 Artifact
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Chrome Mox

// 28 Creature
    4 Balustrade Spy
    4 Undercity Informer
    4 Narcomoeba
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    1 Lord of Extinction
    1 Walking Ballista
    1 The Mimeoplasm
    1 Elvish Aberration

// 3 Enchantment
    3 Bridge from Below

// 12 Instant
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Cabal Ritual
    4 Summoner's Pact

// 1 Land
    1 Bayou

// 8 Sorcery
    2 Dread Return
    2 Cabal Therapy
    4 Land Grant

you still have to hit a few cards before the bayou, but you're looking to hit something like the following:

if you cast spy:

then you need to hit 1 bridge + 2 narco + 1 dread return + a 2nd spy (or a cabal therapy).

then you can dread return another spy into play and mill the rest of deck. other combinations just require you to do the same thing. i don't feel like the pact of negation is good enough here as you already are giving yourself another hurdle. (playing with a bayou)

also a chance a wild cantor is still good here to filter.
    Last edited by mistercakes; 03-30-2018 at 03:01 PM.
    -rob

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

i've been working on another variant of this deck to help improve the consistency. after trying out lots of ideas, i think i've finally got one.

// 60 Maindeck
    // 8 Artifact
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Lotus Petal

// 28 Creature
    4 Balustrade Spy
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 Narcomoeba
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Undercity Informer
    1 Laboratory Maniac
    1 Underworld Cerberus
    1 Street Wraith
    1 Wild Cantor

// 5 Enchantment
    4 Sylvan Library
    1 Bridge from Below

// 16 Instant
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Summoner's Pact
    4 Cabal Ritual
    4 Manamorphose

// 3 Sorcery
    2 Cabal Therapy
    1 Dread Return

idea here is pretty simple. you still have your nut hands, there's really nothing changed there.

the kill:

walking ballista
    the mimeoplasm
    lord of extinction

is the same amount of cards as

underworld cerberus
    laboratory maniac
    street wraith

the street wraith version might be better.

being objective:
    • cerberus is a good turn 1 play if need be.
    • cerberus is the only annoying card to have in hand with combo#2. with combo 1, if you have lord of extinction + mimeoplasm in hand, it can be pretty rough.
    • street wraith kill requires 2 life, and opponent can still win with 2 removal spells (not likely so early in the game, but can happen)
    • street wraith is an additional draw spell, can help dig
    • if ballista is in hand, you can play it for 0 to get it into the graveyard. ballista for 1 (or 2) has some fringe play, but could still be useful.
    • the ballista kill is more resilient to chalice for 1, the cerberus kill means you lose on the draw to chalice on 1.
    • ballista combo doesn't actually require cabal therapy, although replacing cerberus with the new 3BR guy will allow you to do that as well. (it doesn't have to resolve, but sometimes you get hands where pitching therapy to mox could be useful.
    • ballista loses to leyline of sanctity

the merits of this deck:

4 sylvan library

this deck is now okay with a turn 1 sylvan library, it will likely set up for a turn 2 or turn 3 kill. you can shuffle the deck on the upkeep with a summoner's pact to see 3 new cards as well.

a turn 2-3 kill with this deck isn't optimal, but i'd rather have a turn 1 library when i mull to 5 or 4, instead of just mulliganning and losing.

i've also tried using the land grant version with this build as you have some more shuffle effects, but that version still finds ways to lose to itself too much.
    Last edited by mistercakes; 04-07-2018 at 03:57 PM.
    -rob

So lets discuss , what is the best win combo in current meta :)

We got:

Angel --> Lab Man + Azami

Cerberus --> Lab Man + Wraith

Mimeoblast --> walking ballista/triskelion + lord of extinction

Goblin Dark-Dwellers --> Haunting Misery

What do you think :) ?

I have had a relevant play where i ritualed out a Lord of Extinction and just beat down with the 5/5 - 6/6 etc even through 2 DRS

Hi guys

You can have a list with 4 pact of negation and 4 chancellor of annex main deck?

Thread Information