Page 2 of 58 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Oops, All Spells! (Formerly The Rogue Hermit)

Re: The Rogue Hermit

Living wish really adds something to the deck.

Aside from tutoring the win condition or SB hate, there's also protection:
    Living Wish into Cavern of Souls, makes Spy or Informer uncounterable (and one mana cheaper from the land itself).
    From there, it's basically like DDD, play all your therapy's and Dread Return for the maniac pile, with little to no interaction from your opponent.
    1-4 bridges would enable enough creatures for the dread return.
    OR:
    Going all in with 4 bridges net's you 4 zombies per sacrifice to build a big army and win through attacking with a DR-ed Flame-Kin Zealot.

sorry man, why not UB with Mana Severance ??

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by TheG View Post
    sorry man, why not UB with Mana Severance ??
    While that would make the deck more stable, it becomes a 2 card combo instead of 1. It may be correct to play a slower UB shell with more protection, but now you need 2 cards to kill.

Combo 11
    4x Living Wish
    4x Undercity Informer
    3x Balustrade Spy

Mana Fix 8
    4x Manamorphose
    4x Wild Cantor

Mana 32
    4x Dark Ritual
    4x Rite of Flame
    4x Lion's Eye Diamond
    4x Summoner's Pact
    4x Simian Spirit Guide
    4x Elvish Spirit Guide
    4x Lotus Petal
    4x Tinder Wall

Deck Dreck 9
    4x Narcomeba
    1x Dread Return
    1x Azami, Lady of Scrolls
    1x Laboratory Maniac
    1x Angel of Glory's Rise
    1x Cabal Therapy

If you go the Belcher-style route you need to combo asap, otherwise you risk losing to random crap like active Deathrite Shaman. Summoner's Pact, Wild Cantor, Manamorphose and Lotus Petal all gives you ways to generate your single black mana (along with saccing LED in response to Living Wish if it comes to that). The list may be more optimal with some number of Chrome Mox in place of Wild Cantors (currently 16 initial mana sources), but I don't think a full set is correct.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by LegacyStudent View Post
    The list may be more optimal with some number of Chrome Mox in place of Wild Cantors (currently 16 initial mana sources), but I don't think a full set is correct.
    I think you definitely want a nonzero # of chrome moxes. Wild Cantor doesn't provide mana by itself, only converts it. My experience so far is that IMSs are your weak point with this deck, and cannot imagine not plays 3+ Chrome Mox.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

LED easily corrects the problem that combo pieces are stuck in hand for Dread Return setup, and at the same time removes the need for multiple Cabal Therapy to get them into the yard. I can definitely dig it. Only concern is that using it makes the deck super soft to Force of Will.

Does LegacyStudent's list want/need any Chrome Mox to further provide IMS? Reading is tech.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

The issue with simply adding more IMS is that the deck also needs a black source to be able to cast the wincon.... so you need both an IMS AND a black source in your hand. Currently the count stands at 16 for both, (90.08% of opening with at least 1 in hand) so I'm not convinced cutting black sources for IMS improves turn 1 consistency. There is the situation where LED counts as a black source when you are casting Living Wish though, so technically the black source percentage is actually slightly higher than 90.08%. You might be able to get away with cutting a Cantor... an alternative might instead be cutting a Dark Ritual or Tinder Wall for Chrome Mox. I haven't crunched the percentages on average mana generated per hand, but it might be correct to boost IMS count that way.

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by LegacyStudent View Post
    The issue with simply adding more IMS is that the deck also needs a black source to be able to cast the wincon.... so you need both an IMS AND a black source in your hand. Currently the count stands at 16 for both, (90.08% of opening with at least 1 in hand) so I'm not convinced cutting black sources for IMS improves turn 1 consistency. There is the situation where LED counts as a black source when you are casting Living Wish though, so technically the black source percentage is actually slightly higher than 90.08%. You might be able to get away with cutting a Cantor... an alternative might instead be cutting a Dark Ritual or Tinder Wall for Chrome Mox. I haven't crunched the percentages on average mana generated per hand, but it might be correct to boost IMS count that way.
    Compared to my list, you've cut Cabal Ritual for Rite of Flame. With the 8(+4) Spirit Guides, I've usually been able to make the colorless part of Cabal Ritual, or just as often pin it under Chrome Mox. I did test a list with Rite of Flame, and I'm pretty sure that the one I posted above is the "fastest" that I've seen / tested.

There's definitely arguments to be made for a slower combo, either with Veteran Explorer, Reanimates, or Mana Severance, but under the premise that this deck is another variation of SI in that it's all-in and very, very fast, I think it's actually a pretty solid contender.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus
    Does Avenging Druid make any sense here?
    I think I prefer Living Wish over Avenging Druid because even though it requires more mana, it doesn't require a guy to connect the next turn. I'm also skeptical of the Tall Men-Culling manabase. I just don't think that it works consistently better than a Spirit Guide-Pact-Manamorphose manabase, but I haven't tested that Grim Monolith version, to be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Koby
    LED easily corrects the problem that combo pieces are stuck in hand for Dread Return setup, and at the same time removes the need for multiple Cabal Therapy to get them into the yard. I can definitely dig it. Only concern is that using it makes the deck super soft to Force of Will.
    Yeah, this deck pretty much packs it in to BUG with Force maindeck. It seems like it should rebuild pretty well after 1 Force, though. There's a strong argument to be made for Pact of Negations out of the board because it stops Force if you're not going for Living Wish and Surgical if you didn't have to crack LED (so that excludes some kills with the Undercity Informer). Another good suggestion post-board is Goblin Charbelcher. Not sure if that requires boarding in more mana sources or not.
    Languages and dates for every set. For all you true pimps.

Here's my list. It wins on turn 1 pretty consistently.
    http://deckstats.net/deck-1858360-9c...7126abc64.html

LED + Living Wish/Infernal Tutor gives you 15 win-cons.
    Summoner's Pact fetches ESG or wild cantor.
    Progenitus off the board to be pitched to chrome mox in an emergency. Also good against show and tell.
    Mimeoplasm kill dodges swords, bolt, stifle, etc.

Edit: Carrion Feeder = Informer
    Bloodghast = Spy

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

nudon, I was skeptical because Manamorphose has been so good for me, but your list looks very reasonable too. Having additional black spells to pin under Chrome Mox is great, although Infernal really requires LED in hand. I only tested 15 games or so, so I can't really say which list is better.

I really think that a Bridge from Below in the main is necessary. It allows you to still kill when you have to get Informer and there's a Narc and a combo piece in hand. Maybe I'm playing too scared, but I'm dubious that the 16th kill card is going to make that much of a difference.

As far as the kill goes, the Cephalid Breakfast thread I'm sure has debated the pros and cons of each kill to death. The Lab Man kill can respond to a Plow by just tapping another wizard and gets around Leyline of Sanctity, but the Mimeoplasm kill is very reasonable too.
    Languages and dates for every set. For all you true pimps.

You must have 1 bridge from below and 2 cabal therapies in the deck.

1 Bridge allows you to sacrifice narcomebia to cabal therapy to target yourself for cards you need for the combo, sitting in your hand.

The best human card drawer for this deck is alchemist's apprentice. Its the only 2 CC human that says draw a card.

Quote Originally Posted by phazonmuant View Post
    nudon, I was skeptical because Manamorphose has been so good for me, but your list looks very reasonable too. Having additional black spells to pin under Chrome Mox is great, although Infernal really requires LED in hand. I only tested 15 games or so, so I can't really say which list is better.

I really think that a Bridge from Below in the main is necessary. It allows you to still kill when you have to get Informer and there's a Narc and a combo piece in hand. Maybe I'm playing too scared, but I'm dubious that the 16th kill card is going to make that much of a difference.

As far as the kill goes, the Cephalid Breakfast thread I'm sure has debated the pros and cons of each kill to death. The Lab Man kill can respond to a Plow by just tapping another wizard and gets around Leyline of Sanctity, but the Mimeoplasm kill is very reasonable too.
    After some more tweaking, here's my updated list:
    Balustrade Spy = Bloodghast, Undercity Informer = Carrion Feeder
    http://deckstats.net/deck-1859003-ca...47e8ba1e7.html

I agree that having that 1 Bridge instead of the 4 Narc helps. The second therapy (can also sac Balustrade Spy) is nice for protection and getting extra cards out of hand too.

I like Wild Cantor more than Manamorphose because I really want to know if I should mull or not. I'll always mull if there is no win-con in my opening 7, usually 6 too depending on my hand.

Edit: Chrome Mox also helps you get rid of that extra inferno tutor/informer/spy/narc/wish in your hand to go hellbent.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

As protection I would think about oldschool Unmask then Force of Will.

I would like to think Entomb, Shallow Grave, and even a single Griselbrand (to draw 7 if you're short on mana) would give a fighting chance in this deck. Why only one Cabal Therapy?
    Last edited by laststepdown; 01-23-2013 at 10:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    The fairly obvious flaw in your reasoning is that Dark Ritual and Wild Cantor do produce mana. Pretending they don't won't change the function of the cards.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by laststepdown View Post
    Why only one Cabal Therapy?
    Cabal Therapy is not being used as protection here, but as a way to discard an extra combo piece stuck in your hand.

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post
    Cabal Therapy is not being used as protection here, but as a way to discard an extra combo piece stuck in your hand.
    It can be used as protection, of course. If the opponent is stupid enough to let you combo out thinking they will disrupt you after the fact, you just sac a duder to strip the answer out of their hand before you Dread Return. And, on the play, you can hit Force of Will or Spinal Tap, depending on the deck.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I like the possibility of using Unmask as a free disruption spell that can also be used to imprint Mox when it's dead. At this point, I think designing the deck to be able to beat a non-Threshold blue deck would be the goal.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

I've been interested in this deck ever since I saw a brew abusing it posted in Adam Prosak's thread. This was before Balustrade Spy was spoiled, so the deck didn't feature it, but I've had good results testing with it. Here's what I'm currently working with.

Kill Conditions:

4x Balustrade Spy
    3x Undercity Informer
    1x Goblin Charbelcher

Mana:
    4x Elvish Spirit Guide
    4x Simian Spirit Guide
    4x Manamorphose
    4x Lotus Petal
    4x Chrome Mox
    4x Lions Eye Diamond
    4x Dark Ritual
    4x Cabal Ritual

Tutor:
    4x Infernal Tutor
    4x Living Wish

Combo:
    4x Narcoameoba
    1x Angel of Glory's Rise
    1x Lab Maniac
    1x Dread Return
    1x Azami Lady of Scrolls
    1x Bridge from Below
    1x Phantasmagorian
    2x Cabal Therapy

I really like the Charbelcher plan as an alternate kill con, and in my testing with the deck sans spy, it was a very relevant interaction, (For those interested, the Spyless Deck was -4 Spy -1 Bridge -1 Therapy +4 Gitaxian Probe +2 Street Wraith).

I haven't tested out the Summoners Pact package yet, but I am interested in it.

I plan on testing this against RUG Delver, Fish, and UW Stoneblade. The Spyless version performed well against Deadguy Ale, and passably against miracles.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Here's the updated deck I've been tinkering with (Carrion Feeder = Informer, Bloodghast = Spy):

http://deckstats.net/deck-1861018-a5...ae23367e1.html

Maindeck Pact of Negations give you a fighting chance against FoW. Turn 1 combo kill % very high. The only very rare case when 2 combo cards in hand is a problem is 2 of the 3 narcs are stuck. Even then, you can still combo out with Balustrade Spy.

SB:
    1 Bloodghast - Tutored with wish
    1 Cavern of Souls - Tutored with wish
    2 Cabal Therapy - Great against control and works with combo
    2 Pact of Negation - To fight blue
    4 Leyline of Sanctity - Protection from discard and possibly storm
    3 Abrupt Decay - Utility to deal with deathrite shaman, scavenging ooze, rest in peace, etc.
    2 Nature's Claim - Utility and to deal with leyline of the void, rest in peace

Edit: Replace the Pact of Negations MD and SB with Unmasks
    - Creates black mana with Chrome Mox
    - Helps Infernal Tutor get Hellbent by pitching extra infernal tutors/informers/spies

http://deckstats.net/deck-1861376-5c...af78f80ae.html
    Last edited by nudon; 01-23-2013 at 03:45 PM.

Thread Information