Page 44 of 58 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast

Thread: Oops, All Spells! (Formerly The Rogue Hermit)

Re: The Rogue Hermit

Quote Originally Posted by AmokPL View Post
    without Drs deck can win so many more game 1's. After sb just side in Belcher combo for confusion. I'm maxing Wraiths and Manamorphose.

Which Chancellors you meant now caprino Annex or Tangle?
    Chancellor of annex

Jan 2010
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by caprino View Post
    Chancellor of annex
    well I have been testing the green one and so far it seems solid. Not only it nets you one free mana t1 but imprints on Mox for a decent color which CoA doesn't.

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Hello, everybody!

Realizing a couple of people asked to see my list and I completely forgot to respond. I've been tinkering with the structure of the deck a fair bit lately—especially after we lost Gitaxian Probe—and I'm debating taking it out for a spin on Tuesday for the first time since 2015. Without further ado, here's what I've been working with:

ROGUES:
    4x Balustrade Spy
    4x Undercity Informer

PRIMERS:
    4x Lotus Petal
    4x Chrome Mox
    4x Elvish Spirit Guide
    4x Simian Spirit Guide
    4x Summoner's Pact

FUEL:
    4x Dark Ritual
    4x Cabal Ritual
    3x Narcomoeba
    2x Bridge from Below

PAYLOAD:
    4x Street Wraith
    1x Dread Return
    1x Garna, the Bloodflame
    1x Laboratory Maniac

FIXERS:
    2x Manamorphose
    1x Wild Cantor

DISRUPTION:
    4x Pact of Negation
    3x Unmask
    2x Cabal Therapy

SIDEBOARD: Working on it; quads of LED, Charbs, and Spoils are set for now, along with an Ingot Chewer to face Everybody's Favorite Artifact. Leaves two open slots.

So as I mentioned before, I've been disliking Manamorphose for a long time, but I also feel like Chrome Mox has been a bit of a thorn in my side when I'm short on black Imprint cards. So I decided to try out Unmask instead of Chancellor of the Annex. We're a bit cold to T1 discards, but I think Unmask gets better as the game goes on, and oftentimes (both before and [in testing] after the Probe ban) I've found myself keeping hands with, say, 3 mana, a Rogue, and two pieces of disruption. Not ideal, but it can be tough for opponents to break even if we're not out-turbo-ing them the way we want to. So from what little I've seen, it can actually be worth it to draw-go a couple of times if we're sitting on a loaded hand. (By contrast, Chancellors become useless if they don't do their thing on the first turn.)

I'm on quad-Wraith for the first time in a while because I actually think we want a bit of cantrip power. Not too much (for obvious reasons), but we're less likely to hit an essential card (Narco or Bridge) than we are to hit what we want (disruption, mana, Rogues). I'm not the kind of scrub to just concede a game in the face of a Daze (/joshing), so I like having a slight chance to rebuild if we're up against it.

One thing I've noticed is that Cabal Therapy is still a handy card—not just for stripping combo pieces out of our hand, but also as a way to compensate for a topdecked Narcomoeba. I might add a third Bridge for just that reason, though I'm not sure what I'd cut. Probably a Manamorphose or a Street Wraith, but I'm not sure.

The search for a ninth piece of business continues. I've got my eye on Doomsday, though I'm not sure how we'd get that to work best. Would necessitate making room for some weird singletons, and probably for at least one LED in the main. Something like +1 Doomsday, +2 LED, +1 Act on Impulse, -1 Street Wraith, -1 Manamorphose, -2... Something. Probably a Cabal Therapy and another card, but I don't know which one yet. Anyone have any ideas?
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

Jan 2010
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Deuce View Post
    Hello, everybody!

Realizing a couple of people asked to see my list and I completely forgot to respond. I've been tinkering with the structure of the deck a fair bit lately—especially after we lost Gitaxian Probe—and I'm debating taking it out for a spin on Tuesday for the first time since 2015. Without further ado, here's what I've been working with:

ROGUES:
    4x Balustrade Spy
    4x Undercity Informer

PRIMERS:
    4x Lotus Petal
    4x Chrome Mox
    4x Elvish Spirit Guide
    4x Simian Spirit Guide
    4x Summoner's Pact

FUEL:
    4x Dark Ritual
    4x Cabal Ritual
    3x Narcomoeba
    2x Bridge from Below

PAYLOAD:
    4x Street Wraith
    1x Dread Return
    1x Garna, the Bloodflame
    1x Laboratory Maniac

FIXERS:
    2x Manamorphose
    1x Wild Cantor

DISRUPTION:
    4x Pact of Negation
    3x Unmask
    2x Cabal Therapy

SIDEBOARD: Working on it; quads of LED, Charbs, and Spoils are set for now, along with an Ingot Chewer to face Everybody's Favorite Artifact. Leaves two open slots.

So as I mentioned before, I've been disliking Manamorphose for a long time, but I also feel like Chrome Mox has been a bit of a thorn in my side when I'm short on black Imprint cards. So I decided to try out Unmask instead of Chancellor of the Annex. We're a bit cold to T1 discards, but I think Unmask gets better as the game goes on, and oftentimes (both before and [in testing] after the Probe ban) I've found myself keeping hands with, say, 3 mana, a Rogue, and two pieces of disruption. Not ideal, but it can be tough for opponents to break even if we're not out-turbo-ing them the way we want to. So from what little I've seen, it can actually be worth it to draw-go a couple of times if we're sitting on a loaded hand. (By contrast, Chancellors become useless if they don't do their thing on the first turn.)

I'm on quad-Wraith for the first time in a while because I actually think we want a bit of cantrip power. Not too much (for obvious reasons), but we're less likely to hit an essential card (Narco or Bridge) than we are to hit what we want (disruption, mana, Rogues). I'm not the kind of scrub to just concede a game in the face of a Daze (/joshing), so I like having a slight chance to rebuild if we're up against it.

One thing I've noticed is that Cabal Therapy is still a handy card—not just for stripping combo pieces out of our hand, but also as a way to compensate for a topdecked Narcomoeba. I might add a third Bridge for just that reason, though I'm not sure what I'd cut. Probably a Manamorphose or a Street Wraith, but I'm not sure.

The search for a ninth piece of business continues. I've got my eye on Doomsday, though I'm not sure how we'd get that to work best. Would necessitate making room for some weird singletons, and probably for at least one LED in the main. Something like +1 Doomsday, +2 LED, +1 Act on Impulse, -1 Street Wraith, -1 Manamorphose, -2... Something. Probably a Cabal Therapy and another card, but I don't know which one yet. Anyone have any ideas?
    I may try Unmasks instead of Chancellors although I prefer to combo t1 with all the free protection I can gather. Unmask has an advantage of being handy when rebuilding though. Not sure about the Bridges though. I think I'll try something like this.

PRIMERS:
    4x Lotus Petal
    4x Chrome Mox
    4x Elvish Spirit Guide
    4x Simian Spirit Guide
    4x Summoner's Pact

FUEL:
    4x Dark Ritual
    4x Cabal Ritual
    3x Narcomoeba

PAYLOAD:
    4x Street Wraith
    1x Dread Return
    1x Garna, the Bloodflame
    1x Laboratory Maniac

FIXERS:
    1x Wild Cantor

DISRUPTION:
    4x Chancellor of the Annex
    4x Pact of Negation
    2x Unmask
    1x Cabal Therapy

I may try Unmasks instead of Chancellors although I prefer to combo t1 with all the free protection I can gather. Unmask has an advantage of being handy when rebuilding though. Not sure about the Bridges though. I think I'll try something like this.

PRIMERS:
    4x Lotus Petal
    4x Chrome Mox
    4x Elvish Spirit Guide
    4x Simian Spirit Guide
    4x Summoner's Pact

FUEL:
    4x Dark Ritual
    4x Cabal Ritual
    3x Narcomoeba

PAYLOAD:
    4x Street Wraith
    1x Dread Return
    1x Garna, the Bloodflame
    1x Laboratory Maniac

FIXERS:
    1x Wild Cantor

DISRUPTION:
    4x Chancellor of the Annex
    4x Pact of Negation
    2x Unmask
    1x Cabal Therapy
    Side Belcher?

Jan 2010
    UK

Side Belcher?
    side Belcher :-)

Aug 2015
    The woods again

I may try Unmasks instead of Chancellors although I prefer to combo t1 with all the free protection I can gather.
    I'm with you on that, but as well as this deck mulligans, I still don't see T1 hands enough to think we can pull it off consistently enough to rely on it.

With that said, this deck still has the fastest hands in the West, so maybe I just need to be more selective.
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub

Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?

Jan 2010
    UK

I'm with you on that, but as well as this deck mulligans, I still don't see T1 hands enough to think we can pull it off consistently enough to rely on it.

With that said, this deck still has the fastest hands in the West, so maybe I just need to be more selective.
    dont get me wrong. It is not like we have a tons of free cards to choose from and Unmask is a solid valid choice. It deserves a spot but maybe not in place of Chancellor.

BTW This deck mulligans way better than Belcher and I pulled the combo of a 4 card hand whereas in Belcher you cant even go lower than 5.

Aug 2015
    The woods again

dont get me wrong. It is not like we have a tons of free cards to choose from and Unmask is a solid valid choice. It deserves a spot but maybe not in place of Chancellor. BTW This deck mulligans way better than Belcher and I pulled the combo of a 4 card hand whereas in Belcher you cant even go lower than 5.
    Confession: I actually think this deck is better than Charbelcher. We can pack mainboard protection, we don't need to worry so much about Flusterstorm, and as you said, we mulligan way, way better.

My major dilemma at this stage is in figuring out how much protection we can pack in without the deck's devolving into a pile of cards. And that's a real and increasing risk. So how many pieces of protection are people running? I'm on seven (plus two Cabal Therapies): four Pacts, three Unmasks.

Omae wa mou shindeiru

Jan 2010
    UK

Confession: I actually think this deck is better than Charbelcher. We can pack mainboard protection, we don't need to worry so much about Flusterstorm, and as you said, we mulligan way, way better.

My major dilemma at this stage is in figuring out how much protection we can pack in without the deck's devolving into a pile of cards. And that's a real and increasing risk. So how many pieces of protection are people running? I'm on seven (plus two Cabal Therapies): four Pacts, three Unmasks.
    I ran 9 - 4 Pacts, 4 Chancellors and a Therapy. Still havent tested cutting the Manamorphoses to 1 or 0 and try 1-2 Unmasks and 1 more Therapy. I think caprino played with just one Pact and one Therapy but the main thing I love in this deck is the access to protection. I'd never play without some.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

This deck is generally more convenient sister than Belcher, but Belcher can steal more games with empty. Can't really empty when you have summoner's pact.

Otherwise there's a few other minor things, but both decks are fun to play.
    -rob

Jan 2010
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    This deck is generally more convenient sister than Belcher, but Belcher can steal more games with empty. Can't really empty when you have summoner's pact.

Otherwise there's a few other minor things, but both decks are fun to play.
    This deck wins on the spot where Belcher needs two turns to win with empty (last tournament I hit t1 10 goblins and t1 12 goblins against two different Land players and lost to Crop Rotation into Tabernacle turn after which almost forced me to flip both of the tables - this is what I like in it at most - winning on the spot. This and protection.

Oh on the downside - you either win fast or lose rather fast and wander the rest of the round until Miracles mirrors go into time.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Side Belcher?
    do you mull any hand with a narcomoeba + no spy? seems risky.
    -rob

Jan 2010
    UK

do you mull any hand with a narcomoeba + no spy? seems risky.
    I mull every hand without Spy/Informer. I learned my lesson from playing Belcher where the hand was godly and all you needed was to draw Belcher, Wish or Empty - aaaand died after 10 turns of not drawing any of them.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Maybe you're missing some cards in your list. Do you run bridges?
    -rob

Jan 2010
    UK

Do you run bridges?
    no

Jan 2010
    UK

Do you side in the Belcher package every g2? or is it only against specific decks?

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

With 3 narcomoeba and no bridges you have a mull a hand that would normally win with 3 drop if you have a narcomoeba in opening hand since only 2 narcomoeba will be available to dread return. That seems a bit risky.
    -rob

Jan 2010
    UK

With 3 narcomoeba and no bridges you have a mull a hand that would normally win with 3 drop if you have a narcomoeba in opening hand since only 2 narcomoeba will be available to dread return. That seems a bit risky.
    That is correct. Never got to test 3meba version but I agree it would require Bridge. I run 4 Narco - no bridges. Otherwise it would have to be 3 Narco + 2 Bridges which takes an extra slot.

That is correct. Never got to test 3meba version but I agree it would require Bridge. I run 4 Narco - no bridges. Otherwise it would have to be 3 Narco + 2 Bridges which takes an extra slot.
    I think 4x narcomoeba main deck is very good

Thread Information