Thread: NELC Jan 19 Turbo Eldrazi Splits Top 4 at Jupiter Games

Apr 2008
    Storrs Mansfield, Connecticut

NELC Jan 19 Turbo Eldrazi Splits Top 4 at Jupiter Games

Normally my tournament reports are far more concise and detailed than this one, my notes were unfortunately STOLEN along with a Black Starcity Games Deck box, which I was using instead of a wallet. No Cash was in the deckbox, but I did lose my Student ID, Driver's License, along with several Insurance/AAA cards, Dice, and 2 Flash Drives containing loads of pirated media I am mourning the most. If anyone found/has these, I will hold no grudges and pay for shipping no questions asked!

THAT being said, here's what you guys are here for, the report!

The Deck:
    // Lands
    4 [FNM] Cloudpost
    4 [TSP] Vesuva
    4 [SOM] Glimmerpost
    4 [B] Tropical Island
    2 [ZEN] Island (2)
    1 [WWK] Eye of Ugin
    1 [LG] Karakas
    1 [CMD] Bojuka Bog
    1 [IA] Glacial Chasm
    1 [ON] Flooded Strand
    1 [ON] Polluted Delta
    2 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest

// Creatures
    1 [ROE] Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    1 [ROE] Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
    1 [ROE] Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
    4 [M12] Primeval Titan
    2 [FD] Trinket Mage

// Spells
    4 [US] Show and Tell
    4 [5E] Brainstorm
    4 [UL] Crop Rotation
    4 [CHK] Sensei's Divining Top
    2 [AQ] Candelabra of Tawnos
    3 [ZEN] Expedition Map
    3 [GP] Repeal
    2 [MR] Oblivion Stone

// Sideboard
    SB: 4 [CMD] Flusterstorm
    SB: 2 [FUT] Venser, Shaper Savant
    SB: 2 [ZEN] Mindbreak Trap
    SB: 2 [B] Blue Elemental Blast
    SB: 1 [LG] The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    SB: 2 [CMD] Oblivion Stone
    SB: 2 [MR] Chalice of the Void

The major change recently has been an abandonment of Pithing Needle, and an embracing of Oblivion Stone. This was the first event to test Oblivion stone on, and as you will soon find out, it was redonkulous beyond words, completely winning me two matchups along, one of them being an iffy matchup to say the least. Yes, I also am running 61 cards. I waffled between 25 and 26 lands for a long time, wanting 26 lands, but not wanting to abandon 5 removal spells while slimming the deck as much as possible. Ultimately when confessing to a teammate that I "just want to run 25.5 lands" he suggested 61 cards with 26 lands. Here I am, and with a data sample of 1, I'm loving it.

Round 1 vs Dream Halls

I saw my opponent playing Dream Halls before the event and when I sat down across from him my only thought was "Well he's playing anything EXCEPT Dream halls." Of course, wrong.

Game 1: He cantrips his brains out via Islands, while I play mana and tops. On his turn 3 he plays Blighted Agent, which I eot repeal and he forces. I then play a glacial Chasm with another Repeal up for his Dream Halls. I Crop rotate eot and he lets it resolve, and end up taking all the turns before Chasm puts me even remotely close to dead.

Game 2: He starts with gads of cantrips again, I punt the game by putting x1 Flusterstorm away with brainstorm, with another in hand, and need both when he combo's out next turn. I am horrible.

Game 3: We have a massive slog fest, where he forces pretty much everything I do, and has Jace refuelling him. Thankfully, Oblivion Stone just smacks him around hard and buys me 5+ turns. This time, I don't misplay my Brainstorm, and we have a counterwar that entails Flusterstorm, 2x Beb, against Conflux, Force, Dream Halls, where his last counter is Misdirection and he can't counter back on the Bebs. Huzzah.

1-0

Round 2: Esper Blade

Some Jupiter Regular, sorry no notes, and I'm horrid with names.

Game 1: He casts 3-4 spells before I just cast Kozilek for insane advantage.

Game 2: Oblivion stone x2 completely wipe him out, 4-for-one'ing and 3-for-one'ing him, taking a Jace+SoFF+SFM+Lingering Souls

2-0

Round 3: White Weenie Beats

Game 1: A Judge's Familiar counters a brainstorm, and I get juked into losing my draw from a Repeal via Restoration Angel, but I ended up winning after a Primeval Titan and Ulamog both went farming, at 30+ life.

Game 2: He keeps a hand of tons of threats, a waste, but not tons of mana. He wastes my only cloudpost early, and I start vesuva'ing trops, but then when he misses two land drops with one land in play, I drop a tabernacle and he goes into Batterskull beat mode, which I have the glimmerposts to gain life through and primeval titan upto 50+ life.

3-0

Round 4: Ni-siang Li with TES

Game 1: He Time Spirals and has to go for 14 goblins, which I have a chasm for, and then Primeval Titan to lethal.

Game 2: I make my worst play of the event by far, by reacting too quickly to a brainstorm to hide my hand, when I needed to keep mana open to straight win the game with when he takes my brainstorm, and he tendrils me dead. Derp punt. I had repeal and crop rotate also in hand, and he had a chrome mox in play, so I know all his infernal tutors will only seek out chrome moxes if he goes for that, but also has to take brainstorm for my mindbreak trap potential or Crop rotate for lifegain/bojuka bog tricks. Such a punt. so bad.

Game 3: I have a hand of flusterstorms, top, mana. Sweet. I play a Turn 1 SDT, he turn 1 kills me. WAT. Dumb of me I suppose, should have let my top get duressed and expect the unlikely Turn 1 lethal tendrils, which has to be a sub-5% chance of drawing that hand.

3-1

Round 5: UR Delver /w Maindeck Price of Progress

Game 1: I go upto 50 life off titan. yeaah. Thanks goblin guide for being a draw engine against a deck running 27 lands!

Game 2: He kills me exactly on the turn before I gain a bajillion life with chasm at instant speed. boo.

Game 3: Beb saves me gads of damage from a Goblin Guide, then Titan hits play and I gain life and get a chasm. He responds to the attack trigger with double bolt, PoP, which I respond to by gaining 11 life off of to live with 2 life. Huzzah.

4-1

Round 6: UWR Rest in Pieces

Game 1: I get super cocky and declare that I'm going to only cast one spell this turn after playing my 2nd Cloudpost. This makes him go super-all-in on a RiP/Helm combo he had in hand, instead of just waiting and playing it safe, which makes me have to get lucky, and I draw a repeal to save my life from Helm, then rip into Oblivion Stone to clear out the board safely. The turn after that I get emrakul, few.

Game 2: He has a turn 3 Blood moon, which I was expecting and it ended up hurting him significantly more. Lots of Maps, lots of Tops, lots of Trinket Mages, Vesuvas on Islands, Vensers, Repeals, and x3 Oblivion Stones later, including one horrible almost-punt on my part of O-stone'ing my own candelabra when taking it into account for being able to cast Emrakul, we win.

5-1

Round 7: ID with UW Control

Dear god I want more UW control in top 8, so I ID with them all day every day.

Top 8: BUG Control /w Standstill

Game 1: I get an early top, and it shows me show & Tell for Emrakul, which I NEVER DO. He has one draw step to find Jace or Innocent Blood, and ner.

Game 2: I get a Top in and he can't afford to play Standstill. Primeval Titan ends up the match in under 10 minutes combined time for two games and sideboarding. Poor BuG, just gets brutalized by this deck.

Top 4 was UW/Junk/TES/me. I was paired up against TES next round, and wanted to start my 4 1/2 hour drive, so I opted to split. If I was paired up against either of the other two, I probably wouldn't have, but it was enough for me to be wavered.

Great event as always, sorry about no notes. if you know where my deckbox is, please contact me! jer.rudolph@gmail.com or 860-712-3022

Apr 2012
    New York

Re: NELC Jan 19 Turbo Eldrazi Splits Top 4 at Jupiter Games

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Lee View Post
    Normally my tournament reports are far more concise and detailed than this one, my notes were unfortunately STOLEN along with a Black Starcity Games Deck box, which I was using instead of a wallet. No Cash was in the deckbox, but I did lose my Student ID, Driver's License, along with several Insurance/AAA cards, Dice, and 2 Flash Drives containing loads of pirated media I am mourning the most. If anyone found/has these, I will hold no grudges and pay for shipping no questions asked!

THAT being said, here's what you guys are here for, the report!

The Deck:
    // Lands
    4 [FNM] Cloudpost
    4 [TSP] Vesuva
    4 [SOM] Glimmerpost
    4 [B] Tropical Island
    2 [ZEN] Island (2)
    1 [WWK] Eye of Ugin
    1 [LG] Karakas
    1 [CMD] Bojuka Bog
    1 [IA] Glacial Chasm
    1 [ON] Flooded Strand
    1 [ON] Polluted Delta
    2 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest

// Creatures
    1 [ROE] Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    1 [ROE] Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
    1 [ROE] Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
    4 [M12] Primeval Titan
    2 [FD] Trinket Mage

// Spells
    4 [US] Show and Tell
    4 [5E] Brainstorm
    4 [UL] Crop Rotation
    4 [CHK] Sensei's Divining Top
    2 [AQ] Candelabra of Tawnos
    3 [ZEN] Expedition Map
    3 [GP] Repeal
    2 [MR] Oblivion Stone

// Sideboard
    SB: 4 [CMD] Flusterstorm
    SB: 2 [FUT] Venser, Shaper Savant
    SB: 2 [ZEN] Mindbreak Trap
    SB: 2 [B] Blue Elemental Blast
    SB: 1 [LG] The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    SB: 2 [CMD] Oblivion Stone
    SB: 2 [MR] Chalice of the Void

The major change recently has been an abandonment of Pithing Needle, and an embracing of Oblivion Stone. This was the first event to test Oblivion stone on, and as you will soon find out, it was redonkulous beyond words, completely winning me two matchups along, one of them being an iffy matchup to say the least. Yes, I also am running 61 cards. I waffled between 25 and 26 lands for a long time, wanting 26 lands, but not wanting to abandon 5 removal spells while slimming the deck as much as possible. Ultimately when confessing to a teammate that I "just want to run 25.5 lands" he suggested 61 cards with 26 lands. Here I am, and with a data sample of 1, I'm loving it.

Round 1 vs Dream Halls

I saw my opponent playing Dream Halls before the event and when I sat down across from him my only thought was "Well he's playing anything EXCEPT Dream halls." Of course, wrong.

Game 1: He cantrips his brains out via Islands, while I play mana and tops. On his turn 3 he plays Blighted Agent, which I eot repeal and he forces. I then play a glacial Chasm with another Repeal up for his Dream Halls. I Crop rotate eot and he lets it resolve, and end up taking all the turns before Chasm puts me even remotely close to dead.

Game 2: He starts with gads of cantrips again, I punt the game by putting x1 Flusterstorm away with brainstorm, with another in hand, and need both when he combo's out next turn. I am horrible.

Game 3: We have a massive slog fest, where he forces pretty much everything I do, and has Jace refuelling him. Thankfully, Oblivion Stone just smacks him around hard and buys me 5+ turns. This time, I don't misplay my Brainstorm, and we have a counterwar that entails Flusterstorm, 2x Beb, against Conflux, Force, Dream Halls, where his last counter is Misdirection and he can't counter back on the Bebs. Huzzah.

1-0

Round 2: Esper Blade

Some Jupiter Regular, sorry no notes, and I'm horrid with names.

Game 1: He casts 3-4 spells before I just cast Kozilek for insane advantage.

Game 2: Oblivion stone x2 completely wipe him out, 4-for-one'ing and 3-for-one'ing him, taking a Jace+SoFF+SFM+Lingering Souls

2-0

Round 3: White Weenie Beats

Game 1: A Judge's Familiar counters a brainstorm, and I get juked into losing my draw from a Repeal via Restoration Angel, but I ended up winning after a Primeval Titan and Ulamog both went farming, at 30+ life.

Game 2: He keeps a hand of tons of threats, a waste, but not tons of mana. He wastes my only cloudpost early, and I start vesuva'ing trops, but then when he misses two land drops with one land in play, I drop a tabernacle and he goes into Batterskull beat mode, which I have the glimmerposts to gain life through and primeval titan upto 50+ life.

3-0

Round 4: Ni-siang Li with TES

Game 1: He Time Spirals and has to go for 14 goblins, which I have a chasm for, and then Primeval Titan to lethal.

Game 2: I make my worst play of the event by far, by reacting too quickly to a brainstorm to hide my hand, when I needed to keep mana open to straight win the game with when he takes my brainstorm, and he tendrils me dead. Derp punt. I had repeal and crop rotate also in hand, and he had a chrome mox in play, so I know all his infernal tutors will only seek out chrome moxes if he goes for that, but also has to take brainstorm for my mindbreak trap potential or Crop rotate for lifegain/bojuka bog tricks. Such a punt. so bad.

Game 3: I have a hand of flusterstorms, top, mana. Sweet. I play a Turn 1 SDT, he turn 1 kills me. WAT. Dumb of me I suppose, should have let my top get duressed and expect the unlikely Turn 1 lethal tendrils, which has to be a sub-5% chance of drawing that hand.

3-1

Round 5: UR Delver /w Maindeck Price of Progress

Game 1: I go upto 50 life off titan. yeaah. Thanks goblin guide for being a draw engine against a deck running 27 lands!

Game 2: He kills me exactly on the turn before I gain a bajillion life with chasm at instant speed. boo.

Game 3: Beb saves me gads of damage from a Goblin Guide, then Titan hits play and I gain life and get a chasm. He responds to the attack trigger with double bolt, PoP, which I respond to by gaining 11 life off of to live with 2 life. Huzzah.

4-1

Round 6: UWR Rest in Pieces

Game 1: I get super cocky and declare that I'm going to only cast one spell this turn after playing my 2nd Cloudpost. This makes him go super-all-in on a RiP/Helm combo he had in hand, instead of just waiting and playing it safe, which makes me have to get lucky, and I draw a repeal to save my life from Helm, then rip into Oblivion Stone to clear out the board safely. The turn after that I get emrakul, few.

Game 2: He has a turn 3 Blood moon, which I was expecting and it ended up hurting him significantly more. Lots of Maps, lots of Tops, lots of Trinket Mages, Vesuvas on Islands, Vensers, Repeals, and x3 Oblivion Stones later, including one horrible almost-punt on my part of O-stone'ing my own candelabra when taking it into account for being able to cast Emrakul, we win.

5-1

Round 7: ID with UW Control

Dear god I want more UW control in top 8, so I ID with them all day every day.

Top 8: BUG Control /w Standstill

Game 1: I get an early top, and it shows me show & Tell for Emrakul, which I NEVER DO. He has one draw step to find Jace or Innocent Blood, and ner.

Game 2: I get a Top in and he can't afford to play Standstill. Primeval Titan ends up the match in under 10 minutes combined time for two games and sideboarding. Poor BuG, just gets brutalized by this deck.

Top 4 was UW/Junk/TES/me. I was paired up against TES next round, and wanted to start my 4 1/2 hour drive, so I opted to split. If I was paired up against either of the other two, I probably wouldn't have, but it was enough for me to be wavered.

Great event as always, sorry about no notes. if you know where my deckbox is, please contact me! jer.rudolph@gmail.com or 860-712-3022
    I was the Esper player in the top 4, dear god I deem myself lucky for dodging you all day!

Apr 2008

Quote Originally Posted by learntolove6 View Post
    I was the Esper player in the top 4, dear god I deem myself lucky for dodging you all day!
    Esper fears me like the plague and with good reason! Was glad to have an amicable split anyhow though, grats as well!

Apr 2012
    New York

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Lee View Post
    Esper fears me like the plague and with good reason! Was glad to have an amicable split anyhow though, grats as well!
    my sentiments exactly!

You are truly a master

one of the worst butcherings of my name recently, that's ok. and it is a 15-20% chance of a lethal turn 1 tendrils. :)

Apr 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Endure2004 View Post
    one of the worst butcherings of my name recently, that's ok. and it is a 15-20% chance of a lethal turn 1 tendrils. :)
    I strive for as much butchering as is possible from an infrequently lapsing vegetarian.

(previously Metalwalker)
    Mar 2008
    Houston, TX

I like the new list you have for this event. Oblivion Stone has always been bonkers if you can get big mana and not requiring a board to win the game (in your case, all you need is lands or one creature aka Titan/Eldrazi to finish the games). Sadly, the only viable lists playing Oblivion Stones back then were MUC and MBC-ish decks. Glad to see the card being abused in probably its best shell.

I really don't see you getting any hard matchups outside of combo. I've played against Turbodrazi against my friend before and it's pretty inevitable for control without Humility/insane-countermagic drwas. Turbodrazi drags out the long game where control cannot afford to win for most cases. It's great to see you solve the fast aggro matchups and I can only imagine how OStones help those matchups even more.

Quick question on the combo matchups. I notice you don't play FoW in the MB/SB and I can understand why (aside from combo, you hardly even need FoW against most matchups given that you have good matchups aside from them nut-drawing you out). Is the current SB configuration enough to fight against combo matchups assuming that combo is most likely to steal one out of three games with the current MD setup?

Thanks!
    Decks that I care about:
    Steel Stompy
    UWx Landstill
    Dreadstalker
    DDFT (10% practice)

Mangara on MWS? You must be masochistic. -kiblast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    REB is a fantastic sideboard card against blue... in blue decks :/

Apr 2008

Quote Originally Posted by GGoober View Post
    I like the new list you have for this event. Oblivion Stone has always been bonkers if you can get big mana and not requiring a board to win the game (in your case, all you need is lands or one creature aka Titan/Eldrazi to finish the games). Sadly, the only viable lists playing Oblivion Stones back then were MUC and MBC-ish decks. Glad to see the card being abused in probably its best shell.

I really don't see you getting any hard matchups outside of combo. I've played against Turbodrazi against my friend before and it's pretty inevitable for control without Humility/insane-countermagic drwas. Turbodrazi drags out the long game where control cannot afford to win for most cases. It's great to see you solve the fast aggro matchups and I can only imagine how OStones help those matchups even more.

Quick question on the combo matchups. I notice you don't play FoW in the MB/SB and I can understand why (aside from combo, you hardly even need FoW against most matchups given that you have good matchups aside from them nut-drawing you out). Is the current SB configuration enough to fight against combo matchups assuming that combo is most likely to steal one out of three games with the current MD setup?

Thanks!
    You certainly prefer to dodge combo, but with 15 cards in the sb devoted to various forms of combo, you cover all the ones that really threaten you.

You often side in 10+ cards against any given combo deck, without hurting your deck's core, which is its mana base. All you take out is the creature-answer, and fixing. Once you've done that, your deck cuts combo to ribbons, so winning game 2/3 is not difficult and you can still steal game 1, albiet oft with a 20-30 win %. The only versions of combo I still fear are the few that slip through the cracks in the current build, who don't get AS-hated out by it. Mud and "5C TES" being the two big contenders, but we're dealing with that even still. Thankfully these are weaker contenders in the meta, thus putting TurboEldrazi in a strong position as always.

Thread Information