Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If Allied Fetches are Reprinted for Standard/Modern

Jun 2004
    New Hampshire

If Allied Fetches are Reprinted for Standard/Modern

So, what happens in this instance? Does the increased supply decrease the cost or will the initial demand from Standard and the lingering demand from Modern dramatically increase the cost?

Re: If Allied Fetches are Reprinted for Standard/Modern

Same thing as shocklands? Nowadays a ton of product from the newest set gets opened.

People would cry about the next most expensive card they still can't afford to play the format.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    People would cry about the next most expensive card they still can't afford to play the format.
    Before RTR is was shocklands. Now its Goyf and Fetchlands, next it will be Thoughtseize and Clique, etc.

People will complain about anything money related. They want cards to be free and everyone to get invited to Pro Tours.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

So true, Koby. It's because we're raising children to think everyone deserves everything.

-Matt

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Well that escalated quickly; reprints to child raising practices. Well trolled, the Source.

I personally do not care about cards that fall within a $5-$20 US range, it's the ridiculous shit that pushes $50, $100, and higher that just makes me piss goldfish. Maybe my threshold for "what I'm willing to pay for a bunch of cardboard to bump my win percentage on a hobby that I don't have a ton of time dedicated to" is just a lot lower than other people's.
    Last edited by TsumiBand; 01-28-2013 at 04:13 PM. Reason: spelling

Jul 2010
    Columbus, OH

To answer the OP, initial skyrocket as competitive Standard players 1) prepare for the new meta and 2) Make their deck pretty with Onslaught fetches.

After a few months the cost of both the old and new fetches will drop to levels lower than where the current fetches are.

Aug 2011
    Italy

I think we need to establish a universally acceptable max $$$ value for a competitive Magic deck to put an end to these circular discussions. Then, based on that amount we can silence the poor players if the card prices are within acceptable bounds or shun the rich elitists if the card prices are going over the top. Otherwise these discussions are entirely subjective.

Hey guys, $100 for a piece of cardboard is reasonable.

Aug 2011
    Italy

Let me tell you worse, actual $100 is not even a cardboard - it's a piece of paper! Yeah I know, welcome to the world of "the new world order/bankers ruling the world" conspiracies.

Mar 2010
    SoCal

People who keep complaining about how wotc should reprint expensive staples should be publicly executed, what do you think this is? Yu-Gi-Oh? This applies to people who want Brainstorm to be banned in Legacy as well. I'm not pointing fingers, just talking about people in general.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    Hey guys, $100 for a piece of cardboard is reasonable.
    At $100 for a piece of cardboard, you're now paying more per unit than for solid 24ct Gold. Keep that in mind.

100 ct Magic Cards = 0.4 British pounds * 16 oz / 1 British pound * 0.911458333 troy oz / 1 oz = 5.833 troy oz

Gold @ $1,655 / troy oz

100 ct Magic cards = $9654.17
    1 ct Magic cards = $96.54

Query on TCGplayer (1/25/2013) - Tarmogoyf H: $129.99 M: $110.98 L: $97.00
    FACT: Goyf is worth more than its weight in Gold.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

That's a cool fact. Also kind of depressing...

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    At $100 for a piece of cardboard, you're now paying more per unit than for solid 24ct Gold. Keep that in mind.

100 ct Magic Cards = 0.4 British pounds * 16 oz / 1 British pound * 0.911458333 troy oz / 1 oz = 5.833 troy oz

Gold @ $1,655 / troy oz

Just lolled from the bank on the ground.

Aug 2011
    Italy

Honesty time, I used to be priced out of competitive Standard when I was a kid because Mox Diamond was $20, so now I can feel for people complaining about $60 - $120 cards. However, it's time that people started realizing that for some things you've got to prioritize. I'm a grown up with a job and I'm planning my annual vacations according to my planned Vintage deck savings for god's sake! I know I can always say f. with the Lotus and go to the Benicassim festival or feel all geeky and stay in to wait for the arrival of my Lotus. As a student if you think Magic is worth more of your time and money you can party $100 less a month and get yourself a shiny new Tarmogoyf. Simple as that.

Gold @ $1,655 / troy oz

Confirmed that Tarmogoyf is made of gold.

If they were reprinted as rares in a highly opened Standard set, they would likely plummet in price besides maybe Wooded Foothills (or is that a card now that Jund is a deck?). Rares are simply more common now than they used to be, and chase mythics or a high expected value per pack depress the price of contemporary rares even more. None of them could maintain a price north of around ~$20. Onslaught era print runs are just so much smaller than the current playerbase.

I don't think they will reprint them in a Standard set though. Wizards no longer likes excessive shuffling effects, nor lands that require life payments to make mana. The Zendikar ones was just printed to finish of the cycle as well as to interact with Landfall. Plus, Modern can barely handle five of the best degenerate manabase enablers in the history of Magic; I don't think they need to add fuel to those fires by doubling the number. In fact, banning the fetches might go a long way to fixing Modern's nonbasic/manabase problems. That would be a pretty smart ban though, so don't expect Wizards to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Well that escalated quickly; reprints to child raising practices. Well trolled, the Source.
    The people who deem pro-reprinters "entitled" crack me up. It's entitled to lobby (however ineffectively) for a company to produce a product that you, and likely many others, would like to buy from them but it isn't entitled to oppose said people because you want to maintain value on your hobby pieces that stems mostly from the use-value? Rich. It's that attitude and Wizard's acquiescence to it that makes (eternal) Magic one of the most economically warped hobbies out there. Not only can you use the materials of the hobby, but they aren't typically subject to the depreciation of practically any other hobby material. It's not like stamps, coins, sports cards, memorabilia, etc. where while they tend to appreciate, you don't get much "use" from them and use isn't the main thing driving price (scarcity is). And to top it all off, (eternal) Magic can't even be approached in the same way as other expensive hobbies. Saving up over a long period of time doesn't work with the way price and meta fluctuations work. And there are no benefits to late adopters (like how electronics get cheaper) or a robust secondary market full of budget alternatives, like golf. No, Burn is as much a legitimate budget alternative in Legacy as mini-golf is to real golf.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Budget alternatives exist, they just don't exist in the Tournament environment of the same format. Mostly, Limited would be the budget alternative. In the entire game of MTG, there exists many substitutes.

Unfortunately, there doesn't exist a good substitute for "Modern PTQ" deck. Based on the demand alone, each newly developed "budget" contender will have its cards priced out of reach to most casual players.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

Quote Originally Posted by Vidi View Post
    People who keep complaining about how wotc should reprint expensive staples should be publicly executed, what do you think this is? Yu-Gi-Oh? This applies to people who want Brainstorm to be banned in Legacy as well. I'm not pointing fingers, just talking about people in general.
    You are the one percent
    My love for Valakut knows no bounds. It mise well read:
    Land - Super Duper Mountain
    When you play a land, LIGHTNING BOLT!
    Quote Originally Posted by EpicLevelCommoner View Post
    Strange as it may seem, this deck seems like the best place for Ruhan of the Fomori. A 7/7 with the right equipment will end games nightmarishly quick, and it comes with the perk of being blue to pitch to Force of Will if you draw into extra copies. And it wouldn't be too hard to protect him in counter-heavy build.
    Follow me on Twitter @RaNDoMxGeSTuReS

Thread Information