Thread: Return of Maverick and brothers?

Return of Maverick and brothers?

I think that some decks like Jund, Nic Fit and especially Maverick are on the rise with the "Punishing Fire/Grove of the Burnwillows- Engine".

In the past the Esper and Miracle and BUG decks were beating the heck out of Maverick but now maybe Maverick has adopted to the metagame with this two Card combo.

What do you think?
    TheRiedl on Magic Online

About Magic Online:

I can play legacy whenever I want. Cardboard has no value. Data has no value. My time and enjoyment has high value to me. More legacy = more fun. Buy in.

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjer View Post
    When Obilivion Ring is said to be an equivalent counterpiece to Red Elemental Blast in regards to Show and Tell and Jace, you know all is lost.

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

Re: Return of Maverick and brothers?

Maverick has not been its former top tier self in these past few months. Punishing Fires isn't putting it into Blade/BUG/Jund/RUG territory currently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

Aug 2011
    Italy

I think people were playing punishing fire-grove combo in their Maverick decks back in December 2011 so it's nothing new. Just the cyclical nature of the format.

Play Deed. Nuke the World.
    Oct 2010

This doesn't make any sense. How does PF+GotB help Maverick dominate Miracles, BUG, and Stoneblade that, say, Mom+cheap fatty can't?

Personally, if I were to play Maverick, I'd splash black over red for Abrupt Decay and Maelstrom Pulse--possibly Bob as well. Decay will punch through Counterbalance and Chalice of the Void, and Pulse will act as JMS hate, Batterskull hate, Angel Token hate, Tombstalker hate . . . you get the picture. But then again, I'm a fan of wanton destruction.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Junk is Junk, and Maverick+B is just a worse version of Junk. I think Punishing Maverick really has potential, since red is nice in interacting with Blue, and Punishing Fires beats the crap out of Deathrite Shaman. I think once more people try the deck they'll come onboard, but right now, there's a bunch of stigma to playing Maverick.

-Matt

Play Deed. Nuke the World.
    Oct 2010

I just feel as though black has a lot more to offer to GWx than red against a diverse meta, is all, though with such a heavy presence of SnT-style decks, REB and Pyroblast in the side and Punishing Grove in the main could actually work very well in the current meta.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

I would rather like to know how this pile could place 18th in the latest SCG Open, especially with its lack of Thalia and SFM.

Was it the Dryad Militant in a field full of Punishing Fire? Or the Meekstones?

The only one he ever feared
    Oct 2009
    Sweden's Jerusalem

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    I would rather like to know how this pile could place 18th in the latest SCG Open, especially with its lack of Thalia and SFM.

Meekstone + Serra Avenger seems like a nice nonbo.

Would love a report from that guy.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Purgatory View Post
    Meekstone + Serra Avenger seems like a nice nonbo.

Would love a report from that guy.
    I think the word you're looking for is combo since they do work together.

Anyway, Meekstone has piqued my interested. Could be a pretty cool combo to shut down fat when combined with Blind Obedience, depending on how it interacts with Show and Tell.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I so want Maverick to be good again. I just hate playing vs Combo. Worst feeling in the world is not being able to play a game of magic cuz some asshat decides to belch you.

Blind Obedience + Show & Tell isn't favorable. However, there are tappers that make that more favorable. O-ring is still good vs SnT turns out.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Jun 2004
    Madison, WI

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    I so want Maverick to be good again. I just hate playing vs Combo. Worst feeling in the world is not being able to play a game of magic cuz some asshat decides to belch you.

Blind Obedience + Show & Tell isn't favorable. However, there are tappers that make that more favorable. O-ring is still good vs SnT turns out.
    Sure it is. They put down Emrakul, he enters the battlefield tapped. You get one more turn to swing through without them blocking. The problem is that Blind Obedience is missing the part of Kismet that would actually make it good - the Root Maze part.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draener View Post
    You know who thinks it's sweet to play against 8 different decks in an 8 round tournament? People who don't like to win, or people that play combo. This is not EDH; Legacy is a competitive environment, and it should reward skill - more so than it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Borealis View Post
    Plow their Mom every chance you get!

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeyMikey View Post
    Sure it is. They put down Emrakul, he enters the battlefield tapped. You get one more turn to swing through without them blocking. The problem is that Blind Obedience is missing the part of Kismet that would actually make it good - the Root Maze part.
    That's not how those cards work, unfortunately.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

I so want Maverick to be good again.
    I'm butt hurt by this statement.
    My love for Valakut knows no bounds. It mise well read:
    Land - Super Duper Mountain
    When you play a land, LIGHTNING BOLT!
    Quote Originally Posted by EpicLevelCommoner View Post
    Strange as it may seem, this deck seems like the best place for Ruhan of the Fomori. A 7/7 with the right equipment will end games nightmarishly quick, and it comes with the perk of being blue to pitch to Force of Will if you draw into extra copies. And it wouldn't be too hard to protect him in counter-heavy build.
    Follow me on Twitter @RaNDoMxGeSTuReS

The Enchanter
    Mar 2012
    Council Bluffs, IA

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post

It's called getting lucky. Also, becacuse Knight of Meadowgrain is actually the best creature in the format.

Worst feeling in the world is not being able to play a game of magic cuz some asshat decides to belch you.
    This exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by RaNDoMxGeSTuReS View Post
    I'm butt hurt by this statement.
    I'll rub some cream on it for you later.

Thread Information