Thread: Goblin Welder vs Spellskite

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

Goblin Welder vs Spellskite

I have goblin welder in play and my opponent has a spellskite

Let's say I activate Welder targeting my great furnace in play and my grindstone in the yard. Does spellskite screw up the exchange?

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

Re: Goblin Welder vs Spellskite

First, let's get the Oracle on Welder and Spellskite.

Goblin Welder
    Creature — Goblin Artificer 1/1, R (1)
    {T}: Choose target artifact a player controls and target artifact card in that player's graveyard. If both targets are still legal as this ability resolves, that player simultaneously sacrifices the artifact and returns the artifact card to the battlefield.

Spellskite
    Artifact Creature — Horror 0/4, 2 (2)
    {UP}: Change a target of target spell or ability to Spellskite. ({UP} can be paid with either {U} or 2 life.)

That's not quite clear, so let's look at the FAQ for Spellskite.
    One of the items:
    Quote Originally Posted by FAQ
    If changing one target of a spell or ability to Spellskite would make other targets of that spell or ability illegal, the targets remain unchanged.
    Changing the "target artifact a player controls" to Spellskite would make the graveyard target illegal because Welder specifies they must be the same player. Therefore, Spellskite's ability doesn't do anything.
    Languages and dates for every set. For all you true pimps.

Re: Goblin Welder vs Spellskite

Great answer.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.”
    -David DeLaney

Thread Information