Thread: single foreign card only my opponent can see

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

single foreign card only my opponent can see

HEllo,

i was reading a nice report topic (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...d=1#post702863) and saw a strange situation that gives information that shouldn't be known to the owner of a deck:

let's say i play only one card (or a playset of the same card) in a foreign language like korean / japanese / german, that not so much people can read.
    If your opponent doesn't know the card or wants some information on the exact text of the card when for example fatesealing me with a jace, he got to call a judge...
    As i know there's only one card he can't read, i have information on the card that is on top of my library...

Could this be considered like cheating or something like that?

Yes i know this is a very narrow case but anyway, that's just for theorycrafting.

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

Re: single foreign card only my opponent can see

It's definitely not cheating.

Players aren't expected to memorize every card art in the game, but it does help
    Seriously though, cards you buy in one place should always be legal in some other place. Making foreign cards be marked cards definitely goes against that philosophy.
    Languages and dates for every set. For all you true pimps.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by phazonmuant View Post
    It's definitely not cheating.

Players aren't expected to memorize every card art in the game, but it does help
    Seriously though, cards you buy in one place should always be legal in some other place. Making foreign cards be marked cards definitely goes against that philosophy.
    I do agree with you that i would suck not to be able to play with foreign cards.
    However, i could intentionnaly put 1 card in foreign in my deck so i get information when my opponent is the only one to see the card and that he needs a translation.

Very narrow case, but possible.

Thoughts?

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

I see your point here but there are also cases where your opponent just wants an oracle text even if he/she can read the card. This becomes of more relevance the more older cards you have in your deck. I could see this being less of a corner case advantage in modern or standard where your cards are all newer and have the correct oracle text right on them.

But the only solution I could see is if they made it illegal to play only one foreign card in your deck. But what happens when you side out all but one foreign card? There's really no way to avoid this situation, but if your opponent is fatesealing you it probably won't matter much if you gain info about your bottom card.
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

Foreign cards, like all standard Magic cards, are always legal.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

The opponent could call a judge to look up the oracle text of the fatesealed card as a bluff to make you think that it was your only foreign card.

Thread Information