Thread: [Article]Eternal Europe: No Candles? No Problem!

[Article]Eternal Europe: No Candles? No Problem!

What happens when you set the sea on fire? Hopefully something a little like this:

http://www.starcitygames.com/article...o-Problem.html

Let me know what you think, how the deck performs for you or whatever. I'd be particularly interested in opinions from true devotees - you know the original deck much better than I do, maybe I missed something obvious with this list?
    I don't have low self-esteem, I have low esteem for everyone else. -Daria

Proud member of Team CAB
    High Priest of the Church of BLA

CAB JaceTM

My articles

Aug 2011
    Italy

Re: [Article]Eternal Europe: No Candles? No Problem!

Good article Carsten but I have few objections about the splash. Quoting directly from my response in the High Tide thread:

I'm not sure how candle-less list could benefit from the addition of Past in Flames. Without candles your main problem is having enough mana to cast your combo pieces plus your untappers and/or 1 mana counterspells when under pressure. Candles give you the flexibility of not having to fight over your untappers (since you just activate it obviously). Also after a Time Spiral it doesn't bottleneck you on mana, since you can cast it for 1 mana compared to a 4 mana Turnabout. It's much easier to cast a candle and follow it up with other spells if that doesn't work out, you can't really do that with a 4 mana Turnabout and it gets countered. Past in Flames doesn't solve any of these problems.

Oct 2007
    Berlin, Germany

May I suggest the inclusion of a singleton wishable REB. Being able to counter CB, Jace, Clique just to name a few seems beneficial at the expense of one slot - possibly replacing 1 Wipe Away or that Time Spiral - what's the reasoning behind this SB choice anyway?.
    G2/3 it easily becomes MD material against blue-based decks.

No hay trabajo malo. Lo malo es tener que trabajar.
    Apr 2007
    São Paulo, Brasil

I like the idea a lot, specially due to its resiliency against hatebears. I don't like the manabase, though, because besides being suscetible to wastelands, the large number of fetches make it a little bit harder to reach the forth island. I'll test to see if this could be a real problem.

One suggestion, at least for testing, would be a singleton Urza's Rage in the sideboard. It's a wishable kill condition and serves as an out for hatebears.
    # The Bizarro Super Powers Team

Quote Originally Posted by Mon,Goblin Chief View Post
    What happens when you set the sea on fire? Hopefully something a little like this:

http://www.starcitygames.com/article...o-Problem.html

Let me know what you think, how the deck performs for you or whatever. I'd be particularly interested in opinions from true devotees - you know the original deck much better than I do, maybe I missed something obvious with this list?
    Have you considered -1 Force of Will, -1 Pact of Negation, +2 Flusterstorm in the MD and SBing the Force of Will? I find Force of Will is an extremely resource intensive card in the MD vs aggro-control and Pact of Negation is an incredibly narrow protection card in a format overrun with Jund and discard. Having a Wishable Force of Will gives the SB more utility, and you can cut down on the Pact of Negation slots to 2 in total in order to ensure you have the most economical protection vs island.dec without over committing your MD and SB space to the aggro-control match up when you should be worried about Jund and playing as many Flusterstorm, and possibly Spell Pierce, as you can.

Thread Information