Thread: Trees, Man

Feb 2013
    Atlanta, GA

Green Trees [edit]

EDIT: Green Trees
    Changed the name, and updated the list. More below.

Main
    Creature (20)
    4x Dungrove Elder
    2x Sakura-Tribe Elder
    1x Scavenging Ooze
    1x Scryb Ranger
    4x Scute Mob
    1x Skinshifter
    4x Veteran Explorer
    1x Viridian Zealot

Instant (5)
    3x Beast Within
    2x Primal Bellow

Land (25)
    2x Dryad Arbor
    13x Forest
    4x Phyrexian Tower
    4x Taiga
    2x Wooded Foothills

Sorcery (10)
    1x Banefire
    1x Beacon of Creation
    4x Collective Voyage
    4x Green Sun's Zenith

Artifact (2)
    2x Umezawa's Jitte

Sideboard (15)
    3x Angel of Despair
    2x Choke
    2x Faerie Macabre
    2x Golgari Charm
    4x Mindbreak Trap
    2x Ravenous Trap

I've always wanted to build around Dungrove Elder in Legacy. It seems rather unappreciated, and quite good in the right build.

Card Choices [EDIT]
    I moved over to a Green Sun's Zenith package, with Scryb Ranger. I cut the Scavenging Ooze and Skinshifter to 1 each because of this. The Exploration came out, as did the Skyshroud Claim. In their places, Sakura-Tribe Elder and Umezawa's Jitte. The elder really helps accelerate your forest count, in a better way than Exploration did, as more than one Exploration was always bad, and its hard to frown at a body. Beast Within was added as the catch-all removal so that this deck can deal with annoying permanents.

Sideboard
    The deck is very weak to combo, so I've added 4 Mindbreak Trap, and the 2 Ravenous Trap are good against graveyard based combo like Dredge. Fairy Macabre serves the same purpose. Angel of Despair is for Show and Tell. Choke is for...blue decks. I haven't figured out the sideboard yet, so I'm not sure what the Choke should be. For now, I think anti-blue tends to be safe for Legacy. The Golgari Charm are for Elves and Goblins, which pose a nasty threat to a deck not focused on having a lot of creatures to block.

Why is it good?
    The Dungrove Elder and Scute Mob get silly once they get going, which is relatively quick thanks to the ramp spells. There are a few back up plans for all of that mana in the form of Banefire and Beacon of Creation, as well as Primal Bellow.

Isn't it terrible?
    Maybe. But I haven't been able to completely work it out. I think it has a lot of potential, but I can see that its a long way from being done.

It seems like a fun deck, and a legitimate strategy to me. I'd love to get some thoughts on the deck, as well as any suggestions/comments/criticism that you all have.
    Maybe its crazy, but if anyone sees potential, let me know!
    Last edited by RebelCow; 02-11-2013 at 09:11 PM.

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

Re: Trees, Man

I was working on a similar deck for a while. Maybe you might find some more ideas there.
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...24-Mono-G-Ramp

Feb 2013
    Atlanta, GA

I've tried a few of those cards before. Vinelasher Kudzu is good when you have it early, but it becomes pretty dead late.
    The oracle is good, but for four mana, I found myself looking for more. I also needed ways to win when I had 8-12 mana out, and no threats, hence the Banefire and Beacon. Also, the Primal Bellow does a surprising amount of work.
    I have noticed the deck's weakness to combo and big-game graveyard decks. The board was built largely with that in mind. As you mentioned in your post, the deck beats up on creature strategies.
    What do you think about Exploration? Have you found it to be useless?
    Also, without the Phyrexian Tower, I had a really hard time getting Veteran Explorer to die.

Feb 2013
    Warsaw, Ny

Quote Originally Posted by RebelCow View Post
    I've tried a few of those cards before. Vinelasher Kudzu is good when you have it early, but it becomes pretty dead late.
    The oracle is good, but for four mana, I found myself looking for more. I also needed ways to win when I had 8-12 mana out, and no threats, hence the Banefire and Beacon. Also, the Primal Bellow does a surprising amount of work.
    I have noticed the deck's weakness to combo and big-game graveyard decks. The board was built largely with that in mind. As you mentioned in your post, the deck beats up on creature strategies.
    Also, without the Phyrexian Tower, I had a really hard time getting Veteran Explorer to die.
    run crop rotation/sylvan scrying for sac outlet or sun in the "starved rusalka".....primal titan seems alright in this deck i like thrun and troll asteic for more shroud which is hard to deal with ..... greater good for shear card advantage (allows tricks like attack, main phase 2 sac refresh hand drop blockers rinse repeat) strata scythe for transferable power?natural order into progentius or world spine wurm seems fine as well, i think cut a dryad arbor, but add some noble hierarchs might help curve,.... and u can run thorn of amerthist or sphere or resistence to help deal with storm,.... crop rotation into ancient tomb would be needed ,......deathright shaman and maybe a single bokjuka bog will help shore up grave combo as u run scavenging ooze to finish up the the job put one emraukal sideboard, play for living wish main board and u help even your showand tell matches out a little better also having krosan grip will help

Wouldn't mono green be better with a trini/chalice shell? And natural order would be a must I think.

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

Yeah, Vinelasher and Oracle were never outstanding, but they were fun. I think your non-inclusion of them is the correct choice.
    Yep. It's like Vinelasher. It's great early, but terrible late.
    That's a card I never really tried out too much, so it's probably the best thing to sac the Explorer available to you.

Also, I think that the Angels in the Sideboard should be swapped out for Helm of Possessions. That way you have a card that's actually castable in non-Show and Tell matchups. Maybe also add in an Eternal Witness or a Champion of Lambholt too?

Mar 2006
    Amsterdam

Primeval Titan seems like decent fit here. As a singleton, it can be fetched with GZS as 7 mana doesn't seem hard at all. It pumps Dunegrove Elder and you can run a singleton Karakas to fetch up. I could even see it replacing Angel of Despair in the sideboard for the Show and Tell matchups, although that does leave you vulnerable to Omniscience (and Hive Mind).
    Most of the time, you would probably want Dungrove with GZS but when the opponent has a swarm of creatures to chump your big guys the trample does help out. Or when you are on the back foot it grabs the 2 Dryad Arbors in a pinch leaving you with a bit more blockers.
    Team R&D

Thread Information