Austin, TX

Re: [Deck] UWR Delver

´Hi guys! I thinking play tomorrow, with this list:

8 fetchlands
    4 wasteland
    3 volcanic
    3 tundra
    1 plateau
    1 Karakas( Combo Meta MUD, SnT, Reanimator, Lands)

4 delver
    3 SFM
    1 TNN
    1 Vendilion Clique (meta + karakas)
    1 snapcaster

4 brainstorm
    4 ponder
    4 fow
    4 daze
    4 bolt
    4 stp
    3 spell pierce
    1 snare
    1 batterskull
    1 umezawa jitte

sb:

2 Reb/pyro
    2 M Mage ( no priest)
    2 wear/tear
    2 RIP
    1 Surgical
    1 cage
    1 Sulfur Elemental
    1 needle
    1 Grim Lavamancer/ Staticaster?
    1 Feast and Famine
    1 JTMS??????

suggestions?

Dec 2015
    NB, Canada

I would definitely add a fourth SFM, and probably a second TNN as well. SFM is too good not to run as a 4 of. I'm not sure the Plateau is necessary either, since the deck does not run that many red cards. Maybe a 4th Tundra or a basic Island would be more useful. You might end up with too many opening hands with no blue mana if you only run 14 blue mana sources.

Aug 2015
    Norcal

Thinking of running this deck in a weekly, as my meta is extremely creature heavy.

Is the 20 land manabase fairly stock? Is this because the deck is generally slower than other delver variants and has to run 20 instead of 18?

Dec 2015
    NB, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Jaytron View Post
    Thinking of running this deck in a weekly, as my meta is extremely creature heavy.

Is the 20 land manabase fairly stock? Is this because the deck is generally slower than other delver variants and has to run 20 instead of 18?
    20 lands is the consensus I think. The deck has a slightly higher mana curve than other delver decks, in addition to being slower. It also helps in those situations when you are forced to hard-cast Batterskull. What does your list look like? Is it pretty stock?

Aug 2015
    Norcal

Quote Originally Posted by Conscious Insanity View Post
    20 lands is the consensus I think. The deck has a slightly higher mana curve than other delver decks, in addition to being slower. It also helps in those situations when you are forced to hard-cast Batterskull. What does your list look like? Is it pretty stock?
    I haven't really committed to anything yet but I'd wager a stock list is something like this:

4 Delver
    4 SFM
    2 TNN

4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Daze
    4 FoW
    4 StP
    4 Ponder
    4 BS
    1 Batterskull
    1 Jitte
    4 Flex Slots -I'd probably do 2 Wear/Tear and 2 Pierce, my meta is weird

20 lands

No idea what I'd do on sideboard, I'm from the Grixis/RUG side of things :)

Aug 2015
    Norcal

Am I right in thinking that UWr is the best at killing other delver decks, just based on the high amount of removal it has?

My meta has turned into a very 'fair' meta with 6 out of 24 decks being Delver, and the top tables almost always having Nic Fit, Infect, and maybe another creature based deck.

This is what I'm thinking of running: http://www.mtgdecks.net/decks/view/607721

I'll likely drop the spell snares for forked bolts to add to the removal package. Also will probably throw in a second needle instead of Jace in the board.

Dec 2015
    NB, Canada

Am I right in thinking that UWr is the best at killing other delver decks, just based on the high amount of removal it has?

My meta has turned into a very 'fair' meta with 6 out of 24 decks being Delver, and the top tables almost always having Nic Fit, Infect, and maybe another creature based deck.

This is what I'm thinking of running: http://www.mtgdecks.net/decks/view/607721

I'll likely drop the spell snares for forked bolts to add to the removal package. Also will probably throw in a second needle instead of Jace in the board.
    In a sense. But Lightning Bolt isn't always the best removal spell, since it won't kill certain fatties that other Delver decks might have (Tarmogoyfs, Anglers, etc). I'm not sure how much better Forked Bolt will be over Spell Snare. The deck definitely lacks pressure though. You might want to give Snapcaster Mage a shot over Forked Bolt since you can flashback Swords and Lightning Bolts.

I guess you guys are excited about this guy going 5-0 with patriot four legacy leagues in a row now: http://www.mtggoldfish.com/player/jacetmsst

Quote Originally Posted by echofish View Post
    I guess you guys are excited about this guy going 5-0 with patriot four legacy leagues in a row now: http://www.mtggoldfish.com/player/jacetmsst
    Is there a way to see the decks that ended 4-1? I often read UWR Delver is good at fighting other Delver decks, so it would be interesting to see the decks jacetmsst played against.

Jan 2013
    Land of Snow and Purple Rain

Quote Originally Posted by Artlee View Post
    I often read UWR Delver is good at fighting other Delver decks
    Uhhhh... I have never had a good MU against a different delver deck.

Sep 2014
    West Chester, PA

Quote Originally Posted by potatodavid View Post
    Uhhhh... I have never had a good MU against a different delver deck.

I feel quite favored against other delver decks with american. You have so much removal.

UWR Delver is the most clunky of all the Delver lists imo. I'm sure that there are draws that make it feel like a great matchup, but overall I think that white has the least to offer a tempo list.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Jan 2013
    Land of Snow and Purple Rain

Quote Originally Posted by Mapson View Post
    I feel quite favored against other delver decks with american. You have so much removal.
    Unfortunately one of those removal pieces is Swords. I only feel good going against another delver deck if I can land a Jitte or Sword of Fire & Ice.

I crush the balls out of combo & midrangey control though.

Sep 2013
    Madison, WI

Anybody have advice on playing against Infect with this deck? I feel like on paper we should be very favored, with the ability to interact early, some blockers, and lots of 1-mana removal. I seem to never quite be able to stabilize though - I'm something like 0-4 against Infect the last few months despite being above 50% overall against the field.

Part of the problem seems to be that Stoneforge -> Jitte in the control role takes way too much mana against their explosive turns. I am finding myself looking for hands with just Delver + lots of 1-mana interactive spells instead, but not sure if that's the right gameplan. I am even playing 2x Dismember in the main (3 STP, 3 Bolt) which I would think would help, but it's not been enough to get there.

Sep 2014
    West Chester, PA

@Paradigm72

Sometimes they just have it. Make sure you are using your removal post combat or on your turn. Hold wastelands for inkmoth unless you can hold them off the forest they need for invigorate. Play around daze. Jitte is slow like you said but almost unbeatable once active so try to stall until then.

Jul 2011
    Canada

Hey Guys,

has anybody ever tryed to step back from the SFM package, which might seem too clunky? I was thinking to abuse free spells a little more with something like this:

Lands (19):
    4x Scalding Tarn
    4x Flooded Strand
    3x Tundra
    3x Volcanic Island
    1x Island
    4x Wasteland

Creatures (10):
    4x Delver of Secrets
    4x Young Pyromancer
    2x Monastery Mentor

Spells (31):
    4x Swords to Plowshares
    4x Lightning Bolt
    4x Brainstorm
    4x Ponder
    2x Gitaxian Probe
    4x Stifle
    2x Spell Pierce
    4x Daze
    3x Force of Will

Sideboard (15):
    1x Rest in Peace
    1x Grafdiggers Cage
    1x Surgical Extraction
    1x Pithing Needle
    1x Flusterstorm
    1x Pyroblast
    1x Red Elemental Blast
    1x Force of Will
    1x Vendillion Clique
    1x Aethersworn Canonist
    1x Meddling Mage
    1x Engineered Explosives
    1x Sudden Demise
    1x Wear/Tear
    1x Grim Lavamancer

Best
    Gobbos: Kings of flavortext!

Aug 2015
    Norcal

There was a tiny bit of discussion around it last year on the previous page. Seems that some people tried it, and it was ok but not as powerful as the equipment package

Sep 2014
    West Chester, PA

There was a tiny bit of discussion around it last year on the previous page. Seems that some people tried it, and it was ok but not as powerful as the equipment package
    Eli kassis top 8d a bigger event with it last year. I didn't enjoy it very much myself though despite loving mentor.

On a different note, how does this deck fare against 4color loam and grixis decks? Was thinking about playing it at an event next weekend in a meta invested with those. When I used to play the deck I always won delver mirrors but cabal therapy on my equipment is scary.

Do you guys think that is necessary to play DAZEs main deck in this deck??

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

Quote Originally Posted by BigBopper View Post
    Hey Guys,

has anybody ever tryed to step back from the SFM package, which might seem too clunky? I was thinking to abuse free spells a little more with something like this
    I've had a similar thought. This list is very preliminary, but seems like an alright starting point:

4 Delver of Secrets
    3 Monastery Mentor
    3 Snapcaster Mage

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Gitaxian Probe

4 Force of Will
    4 Daze
    4 Lightning Bolt
    2 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Spell Snare
    2 Spell Pierce

4 Flooded Strand
    4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Wasteland
    4 Volcanic Island
    4 Tundra

Sideboard

2 Flusterstorm
    2 Forked Bolt
    2 Wear // Tear
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Pyroblast
    1 Path to Exile
    1 Council's Judgment
    1 Stony Silence
    1 Price of Progress
    1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar

This is definitely less of a tempo deck than it is an "aggro-control" deck, so 4 Wastelands might be too many; cutting one for a Preordain or another spell you can fire off unconditionally might be the right approach. I'm also concerned by the deck's high number of reactive cards, even with 12 cantrips and the Bolts. It may be correct to cut a Daze for something like a Chain Lightning so that when you get to 4 mana you're much more likely to be able to get a Monk as soon as you play Mentor and be less reliant on your opponent being cooperative in giving you something to Force or Daze to make sure you at least get a Monk for your trouble. That being said, Mentor is a completely unreasonable card and makes the old criticism about playing Swords in your aggro deck moot. A True-Name would also make some sense over a Snap, despite the loss of synergy with Mentor.

Thread Information