Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: From the Vaults: Twenty

Don't ping the hydra
    May 2007
    Spain

Re: From the Vaults: Twenty

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    I'd say there's a strong chance it's Mystical Tutor based on the blue color motifs (including the skull in bookcase = knowledge archetype), but since it's been printed in a FTV set already, I'm kind of stumped. Maybe Vampiric? Brainstorm?
    My bet is that it's Mystical tutor, but it might be any other blue tutor.
    Please stop talking about whether Force of Will is broken or not. It obviously is, and rather than "the glue that holds vintage together" it would be better to call it "the rug under which you hide the filth until there's so much that you can no longer conceal it".

Thinking about Magic...
    Jan 2011
    Italy

She could be an old Hanna casting Intuition...

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

Quote Originally Posted by kingtk3 View Post
    Pretty sure that Intuition is on the reserved list.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by wcm8 View Post
    Pretty sure that Intuition is on the reserved list.
    It is

Makes me wonder if they can print any good, old stuff that doesn't suck, hold some value and isn't on the Reserved List.

Dread Returned
    Jul 2012
    Maryland

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    It is

Makes me wonder if they can print any good, old stuff that doesn't suck, hold some value and isn't on the Reserved List.
    They can reprint Mana Drain
    Currently Playing:
    Dredge, The Rock, Lands, Spiral Tide, Affinity

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

This thing better not be 'the big gift' for MtG's 20th anniversary. A limited print run FtV set is a shitty way to say 'thank you' to playerbase that has made this possible. From the Vault Sets are really just a thank you to the retailers that make bank on overpricing them or using them as tournament fodder.

My hope is that they would print something along the lines of the following:
    -Some sort of boxed set that is lavishly adorned, that might be a bit pricey, but is NOT a limited print-run (i.e. if you want to buy it, you can do so, and it's not going to get price-gouged over MSRP by your local game store)
    -Maybe it would include a nicely bound book that has articles about MtG's history, interviews with the big names (designers, developers, players, artists, etc.) and plenty of pictures of behind-the-scenes sort of stuff
    -Maybe include a special playmat, high quality deckbox, roll-down die, and other useful swag
    -Include two 'duel decks' that are full of valuable/playable cards (e.g. Wasteland, FoW, Dark Confidant, etc.) that are a historical smorgasboard walk down memory lane, but still worthwhile for people who want to break them apart for the playables
    -perhaps include some sort of loophole method of reprinting some old reserved list cards, at least as proxies for non-sanctioned Vintage/EDH purposes (e.g. gold-bordered Power and Dual Lands)

May 2007
    MN

My personal, possibly not possible but selfishly I want them in foil, list:

Demonic Consultation
    Elvish Spirit Guide
    Mana Vault
    Windfall
    Tinder Wall

LIkelihood - very low. Maybe Mana Vault.

Don't phyresis me, bro!
    Sep 2011
    Grand Rapids, MI

PS That's Orim, not Hanna. ;)

Nov 2012
    The Bluegrass

I'm hoping to see Rishadan Port, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by DLifshitz View Post
    They could make it pretty good if they didn't print these things as dreadful looking new border foils that look like DuelMasters test prints
    FTFY.

Nothing like reliving vintage era magic with Yu Ghi Oh looking foils ... how about 20 reprints all in old border with rich beta coloring and actual artwork from you know ... artists and not photoshop pilots.

</rant>

Aug 2011
    Italy

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    FTFY.

Nothing like reliving vintage era magic with Yu Ghi Oh looking foils ... how about 20 reprints all in old border with rich beta coloring and actual artwork from you know ... artists and not photoshop pilots.

</rant>
    Like.

Two Explores.
    Apr 2010

It's Control Magic.
    Humphrey is always correct.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by dunkle_stille View Post
    It's Control Magic.
    That would make a lot of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by wcm8 View Post
    ...My hope is that they would print something along the lines of the following:
    ... NOT a limited print-run (i.e. if you want to buy it, you can do so, and it's not going to get price-gouged over MSRP by your local game store)
    -Include two 'duel decks' that are full of valuable/playable cards (e.g. Wasteland, FoW, Dark Confidant, etc.)
    -perhaps include some sort of loophole method of reprinting some old reserved list cards, at least as proxies for non-sanctioned Vintage/EDH purposes (e.g. gold-bordered Power and Dual Lands)
    LoL@ fingers crossed for huge print runs of valuable cards. You should hope for something more realistic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Full-House View Post
    MTG is a game 13+ (btw in cinematograph rating PG-13 allows nudity), while forum is open to anyone, and children under this age can see your picture and wonder how tezzeret is assosiated with anus and what is sexual t-rex means. Who knows where this path would take them? Are you responsible for their actions under the impression of your profile? I think no. You should be assamed.

guys, you Have To look at Track Record.

Wizard reprinted "From the Vault: Relic", and you get Sol Ring, that's where your expectation should be at, merely something for Commander to use.
    http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&set=[%22From%20the%20Vault:%20Relics%22]

Reserved List: http://www.wizards.com/Magic/TCG/Art.../reprintpolicy

The art from Wizard's announcement looks like Control Magic to me.

Dread Returned
    Jul 2012
    Maryland

Control Magic, was it ever in a Worlds or PT deck?

I know Opposition could be likely

Other Iconic Cards (that I know of anyway):
    Mystical Teachings/Teferi, Mage Of Zhalfir/Cryptic Command (all probably in MM and Teferi was in Legends so unlikely)
    Cruel Ultimatum
    Jace, The Mindsculptor (why do I bet he is in here?)/Batterskull/Stoneforge Mystic
    Arcbound Ravager (probably in MM, but we'll see)
    Darksteel Colossus (Tooth And Nail is the deck I remember running this guy and Triskelion)
    Vendilion Clique
    Ancestral Visions
    Upheaval/Psychatog
    Mind's Desire/Mirari's Wake/Decree Of Justice
    Vindicate/Pernicious Deed/Spiritmonger
    Yawgmoth's Bargain
    Dark Confidant
    Emrakul, The Aeons Torn (I remember at the end of Zen/Scars there was a Summoning Trap/Polymorph deck with this guy and Blightsteel Colossus, then during Zen/Alara there were the Titan ramp decks that tried to cast him as fast as possible)

Are there any Iconic cards from Jund that would be added and haven't been reprinted recently? All I can think of is Maelstrom Pulse
    Currently Playing:
    Dredge, The Rock, Lands, Spiral Tide, Affinity

It isn't going to be mystical tutor. I'd bet money that it isn't mystical tutor, because mystical tutor was already in FTV: Exiled and is still very cheap because it's banned in legacy and restricted in vintage. I could see it being control magic very easily. I don't see it being vampiric tutor, as that old lady doesn't look like a vampire at all and there is a distinct lack of black flavor in the picture besides that one skull in the background that most people don't even notice.

People, please stop suggesting reserved list cards. This isn't 2009. Recurring nightmare, survival, both are reserved. What will be reprinted from rec-sur? Honestly have no idea.

I hope dark ritual, swords to plowshares, and/or brainstorm are in here. That would be great, because foils are expensive or look pretty bad (dark ritual foils come in that ugly Guay art or in that new frame shit with incredibly bad art.) Brainstorm foils either look ugly because they have that FNM stamp or cost 100+ a pop. Not a fan. Swords to plowshares is in the same boat as brainstorm, except that the FNM promo version looks sexier than most other cards in existence.

But most of all, I hope for force of will in this set. Nothing comes particularly close. Foil FoW is long overdue, why not reprint it as a 20th anniversary gift?

Jace, the Mind Sculptor is a possibility. But WotC might just troll us with squadron hawk, celestial colonnade, or stoneforge mystic.

The expansion symbol looks funny though. Just a 20 in a circle, nice job.
    Bread Connoisseur on MTGSalvation Forums
    Currently Playing:
    All flavors of storm combo
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix
    Lands is a joke for Solidarity. Its like asking a morbidly obese parapalegic to run the mile with his shoes tied.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Fizzeler View Post
    Control Magic, was it ever in a Worlds or PT deck?
    1994, so it's definitely a possibilty and most likely.

For the other years, possible reprints:

1993: unknown, no worlds

1994: Control Magic

1995 might be Hymn, maybe Hypnotic Specter or Dark Ritual

1996: StP, maybe Armageddon

1997: Hard to tell - Man-O-War, Nekraatal

1998: various things possible, most likely Tradewind Rider or one of the Spikes due to Reserve List

1999: Wildfire, since the rest is on the Reserve list and it was kind of essential for the deck

2000: Brainstorm, maybe Rishadan Port (Reserve List strikes again!)

2001: Dark Ritual (since it was the core of the deck, enabling "broken" plays and lead to Dark Ritual never to enter standard again), Duress (iconic) or Terminate

2002: Psychatog, maybe Fact or Fiction

2003: Mirari's Wake, Decree of Justice

2004: Astral Slide, Decree of Justice

2005: Jitte, Needle, Loxodon Hierarch (probably shit like Yosei or Vitu-Ghazi, though)

2006: Hard to tell - both Dragonstorm and Borgadan Hellkite appeared in other promo sets already, so maybe Seething Song? They need to troll the customers, after all.

2007: Doran, Treetop Village, Pendelhaven; wishful thinking: Tarmogoyf, Thoughtseize

2008: Spellstutter Sprite, Sower of Temptation, Bitterblossom; wishful thinking: Verdillion Clique, Thoughtseize

2009: Lightning Bolt, Wild Nacatl, Bloodbraid Elf, Baneslayer Angel

2010: Duress (unlikely), Inquisition of Kozilek, Mana Leak, (crosses fingers) Jace, the Mindsculptor

2011: Primeval Titan

2012: no idea, can't find a deck list

tl;dr: - likely choices include:

- ?
    - Control Magic
    - Hymn to Tourach
    - StP
    - Man-O-War / Nekraataal
    - Tradewind Rider
    - Wildfire
    - Brainstorm
    - Dark Ritual
    - Psychatog
    - Mirari's Wake
    - Astral Slide
    - Vitu-Ghazi, the City-Tree
    - Seething Song
    - Doran, the Siege Tower
    - Spellstutter Sprite
    - Lightning Bolt
    - Mana Leak
    - Primeval Titan
    - ?

Replace one of the last cards with either Tarmogoyf, Thoughtseize, Verdillion Clique or JMS as the cash card to justifiy this pile of cheap jank - probably Thoughseize, since it's in twice.

That list might be a tad bit pessimistic, but considering Wizards' troll levels, I DO expect something like that.

Cabal Therapist
    Oct 2010
    Colchester, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    - ?
    - Control Magic
    - Hymn to Tourach
    - StP
    - Man-O-War / Nekraataal
    - Tradewind Rider
    - Wildfire
    - Brainstorm
    - Dark Ritual
    - Psychatog
    - Mirari's Wake
    - Astral Slide
    - Vitu-Ghazi, the City-Tree
    - Seething Song
    - Doran, the Siege Tower
    - Spellstutter Sprite
    - Lightning Bolt
    - Mana Leak
    - Primeval Titan
    - ?

Replace one of the last cards with either Tarmogoyf, Thoughtseize, Verdillion Clique or JMS as the cash card to justifiy this pile of cheap jank - probably Thoughseize, since it's in twice.

That list might be a tad bit pessimistic, but considering Wizards' troll levels, I DO expect something like that.
    That seems pretty realistic. I think we can expect something like that list. Although they do always have one card that "sells it". Maze of ith, mox diamond, P3K legends, etc. Im guessing that card is going to be thoughtseize or Jace. Thoughtseize since they want modern to be cheaper (although we can also expect that in modern masters). Or jace because, as trollish as WotC is, he is good in EDH as well as legacy (like they care), but Zen and beyond and modern banned cards won't be in modern masters, so it's probably they only chance to reprint him unless they do FTV: planeswalkers.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
    That seems pretty realistic. I think we can expect something like that list. Although they do always have one card that "sells it". Maze of ith, mox diamond, P3K legends, etc. Im guessing that card is going to be thoughtseize or Jace. Thoughtseize since they want modern to be cheaper (although we can also expect that in modern masters). Or jace because, as trollish as WotC is, he is good in EDH as well as legacy (like they care), but Zen and beyond and modern banned cards won't be in modern masters, so it's probably they only chance to reprint him unless they do FTV: planeswalkers.
    Thoughtseize could very well be reprinted in Modern Masters, just like Verdillion Clique, Goyf is already confirmed.

JMS seems unrealistic and I don't think Wizards has the balls to reprint him, especially as a foil, considering a copy is like 500$ right now. The price for a single FTV box would easily raise to 250+$, just because of that.

Thread Information