Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boros Burn

Feb 2013
    Canada

Boros Burn

First time poster, long time Burn player. I heard about The Source from Greg Mitchell during his Deck Tech at SCG Open Atlanta. Greg spoke quite highly of this forum, so I thought that this may be a good place to get some feedback on a deck I've been tinkering with for a little while now. I posted my list a little while ago in the "established deck" Burn thread but it got buried in other discussion. Without further ado here is my list:

"Boros Burn" (A.K.A. "Shake 'N' Bake", A.K.A. "too rogue for mono-red")

4 Chain Lightning
    4 Fireblast
    4 Goblin Guide
    4 Lava Spike
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Price of Progress
    4 Rift Bolt
    4 Hellspark Elemental
    4 Arid Mesa
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Mountain
    4 Plateau
    4 Wooded Foothills
    4 Boros Charm
    4 Skullcrack

SB: 4 Pyroblast
    SB: 4 Rest in Peace
    SB: 3 Searing Blaze or 3 Pyrostatic Pillar
    SB: 4 Disenchant

Since Boros Charm was spoiled, I've been toying with the idea of splashing white into my Burn list in order to use the card. Flame Rift already sees play in Legacy Burn decks, so it shouldn't come as too much of a surprise that a new 4-damage-for-2-mana spell might make its way into competitive lists. In this post I will present my arguments for the card choices I have made, as well as discuss some of the pros and cons that come with splashing white into a typically mono-red build.

Chain Lightning, Lightning Bolt, Lava Spike, and Rift Bolt are the bolts that are the backbone of almost every Legacy Burn lists. Shard Volley is another option but since the deck now has Wasteland targets, I would like to avoid this card. Price of Progress and Fireblast are two other Legacy Burn staples that are here to stay. Fireblast typically finishes games and with the abundance of three colour mana-bases in the current metagame, Price of Progress feels very strong. To quote Drew Levin from his primer on beating BUG, "I don't think I have ever witnessed a BUG deck in the history of Magic beat the card Price of Progress" (http://www.starcitygames.com/article...BUG-Decks.html). These cards don't present anything revolutionary to anyone familiar with Burn, but they do act as the core of the deck.

Moving on to the new faces in Burn, lets talk about Boros Charm. This card is basically taking the place of Flame Rift in my list. Preventing 4 damage to your self is an obvious benefit, but one thing I've noticed from playtesting with Boros Charm is the advantage of having a greater number of instants in the deck. This allows the pilot to be far more responsive to their opponents play. Instead of playing Flame Rift for 4 damage on our turn, Boros Charm allows us to leave mana open to play Red Elemental Blast if our opponent happens to play a Counterbalance, or to play Lightning Bolt to answer a Stoneforge Mystic, all the while maintaining the option to send 4 to the dome. There is also the greater utility of Boros Charm to consider. Though the other abilities of the charm seem incidental, through testing I have found situations where they come in handy. Double strike is rarely better than an additional 4 damage to the dome, but when an opponent has Leyline of Sanctity down, the extra 2 or 3 damage when cast on a creature keeps the card from being completely dead. The option of making your permanents indestructible might seem like a bit of a stretch to justify, but I have found it useful for protecting graveyard hate (I'll discuss the sideboard later on) and lands from Wasteland if need be. The strongest attribute that Flame Rift has, in my opinion, is that it can play through Leyline of Sanctity. Though Boros Charm can't directly play through Leyline of Sanctity, I believe the card makes up for it with its sheer utility and isntant speed.

Another card I am excited about from Gatecrash is Skullcrack. This is taking the place of Sulfuric Vortex at the moment, but I still feel like I need to do further testing with it. With Umezawa’s Jitte and Batterskulll abound, it is easy to see why a burn player needs to have a solution for life gain main deck; Skullcrack and Sulfuric Vortex seeming like the strongest candidates. There are a couple reasons I chose to run Skullcrack over Sulfuric Vortex. First, there is the advantage of running more instants that I mentioned earlier while discussing Boros Charm. This can also add an element of surprise, having your opponent play their life gain (that you secretly have an answer too) that they otherwise wouldn’t if Vortex was down. Then there is the mana cost to consider. Skullcrack's converted mana cost of 2 versus Vortex’s 3, allows you to run one less land quite comfortably. This results in having one more burn spell. If you want to get real theoretical, there is also the concept of running little to no permanents in order to limit the amount of interaction your opponent has with you (this is the idea of virtual card advantage if you want to open up that can of worms). My main reason though, for running 4 Skullcrack, is the hope of limiting the number of suboptimal late game draws. Skullcrack is still a bolt at worst and there are at least a couple hypothetical situations I can think of where I would rather top deck Skullcrack over Sulfuric Vortex. Another strong argument for the card is that it basically opens up the floodgates against Energy Field. Maybe I've played against too many U/W control decks, but not having an answer to Rest in Peace/Energy Field in an already unfavourable match up, stings. I realize Vortex is better against life gain but I'm hoping that this new addition can buy me the extra turn I need, while still being instant speed damage when life gain is irrelevant.

Deciding what creatures to run in your Burn list is another popular subject of debate. It seems fairly unanimous that Goblin guide is here to stay, but for my second slot, I am a strong advocate for Hellspark Elemental. Through testing I have found so many interesting situations where Hellspark is effective. The card is resilient against discard and its unearth ability is immune to counter magic. Personally, discard and counter magic are some of the most frustrating things to play against when piloting burn, and Hellspark Elemental allows you to still get some potential damage in. Furthermore, when facing dredge, the card is great for removing Bridge From Below from your opponents graveyard. I realize Grim Lavamancer is quite popular and I’m not suggesting that it isn’t a great card, in fact there are many matchups where Lavamancer is ideal. I just feel more sympathetic towards the opinions of James Heslip and his concept of "guaranteed damage". You can read his burn article on MTG Salvation for a better idea of what I’m getting at (http://www.mtgsalvation.com/1317-squ...et-legacy.html). This idea of "guaranteed damage" is also why I feel cards like Steppe Lynx and Vexing devil don’t make the cut either.

Finally I would like to discuss the sideboard. Regardless of all the great things I said about Boros Charm, one of the strongest arguments for splashing white comes from the sideboarding options that it makes available. I chose Disenchant primarily to answer Burn hate, namely Leyline of Sanctity. Though Leyline might not be as abundant in metas outside my own, I feel like it is gaining popularity due to the rise of Omni-show with Enter the Infinite, using Leyline to protect mainly from discard. Personally, I feel Leyline of Sanctity is such a headache to play against that I would like to have a means of addressing it, especially if it pops up in a U/W control list (Don’t even get me started on Chill or Energy Field). Though I love Smash to Smithereens, Disenchant’s ability to get rid of pesky enchantments as well as artifacts (no 3 damage to the dome mind you) is why it makes it into my sideboard. The other white card in the sideboard is Rest in Peace. R.I.P. is not only one of the best graveyard hate cards around but it is also very effective against a large number of popular legacy cards in the current metagame. It shrinks Tarmogoyf, Nimble Mongoose, and Knight of the Reliquary, shuts down Deathrite Shaman and Scavenging Ooze, and removes any flashback cards like Lingering Souls and Cabal Therapy. Since these cards see quite a bit of play, I think that Rest in Peace is a powerful card in any list that can run it (the obvious card to board out for R.I.P. is typically Hellspark Elemental). I don’t think Red Elemental Blast needs much explanation and the 3 Searing Blaze work well with the fetch lands, but this slot is flexible.

Ultimately the deck performs quite comparably to the mono-red list from which it was born, but with the advantage of increased responsive play, answers to crippling hate, and dealing less damage to one’s own life total. The main disadvantage to this list is that it opens itself up to Wasteland hate, which may be a hard pill to swallow for some mono-red pilots. With my experience so far, this hasn’t seemed to create to much of an issue and is typically quite easy to play around. A good friend of mine in my playgroup, who has been quite supportive of this build through encouragement and card suggestions, pilots a Pox build with 4 Wasteland and 4 Sink Hole. The constrictions on mana this matchup places on Boros Burn may be slightly higher than that of its mono-red counterpart, but I believe it is arguably negligible or are at least worth the trade-off for the benefits that splashing white gives in other matchups.

I’ve been pretty happy so far with the playtesting results Boros Burn is producing, but I still need a bit of time to get completely familiar with piloting the deck. I encourage anyone to try this list in your local meta and I would love to hear your results with the deck. I’m fairly sold on the idea of splashing white, but any criticisms or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by Lyle Hopkins; 02-20-2013 at 04:11 PM.

Dreadnought
    Feb 2013
    East Detroit, MI

Re: Boros Burn

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Hopkins View Post
    First time poster, long time Burn player. I heard about The Source from Greg Mitchell during his Deck Tech at SCG Open Atlanta. Greg spoke quite highly of this forum, so I thought that this may be a good place to get some feedback on a deck I've been tinkering with for a little while now. I posted my list a little while ago in the "established deck" Burn thread but it got buried in other discussion. Without further ado here is my list:

"Boros Burn" (A.K.A. "Shake 'N' Bake", A.K.A. "too rogue for mono-red")

4 Chain Lightning
    4 Fireblast
    4 Goblin Guide
    4 Lava Spike
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Price of Progress
    4 Rift Bolt
    4 Hellspark Elemental
    4 Arid Mesa
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Mountain
    4 Plateau
    4 Wooded Foothills
    4 Boros Charm
    4 Skullcrack

SB: 4 Pyroblast
    SB: 4 Rest in Peace
    SB: 3 Searing Blaze
    SB: 4 Disenchant

Since Boros Charm was spoiled, I've been toying with the idea of splashing white into my Burn list in order to use the card. Flame Rift already sees play in Legacy Burn decks, so it shouldn't come as too much of a surprise that a new 4-damage-for-2-mana spell might make its way into competitive lists. In this post I will present my arguments for the card choices I have made, as well as discuss some of the pros and cons that come with splashing white into a typically mono-red build.

Chain Lightning, Lightning Bolt, Lava Spike, and Rift Bolt are the bolts that are the backbone of almost every Legacy Burn lists. Shard Volley is another option but since the deck now has Wasteland targets, I would like to avoid this card. Price of Progress and Fireblast are two other Legacy Burn staples that are here to stay. Fireblast typically finishes games and with the abundance of three colour mana-bases in the current metagame, Price of Progress feels very strong. To quote Drew Levin from his primer on beating BUG, "I don't think I have ever witnessed a BUG deck in the history of Magic beat the card Price of Progress" (http://www.starcitygames.com/article...BUG-Decks.html). These cards don't present anything revolutionary to anyone familiar with Burn, but they do act as the core of the deck.

Moving on to the new faces in Burn, lets talk about Boros Charm. This card is basically taking the place of Flame Rift in my list. Preventing 4 damage to your self is an obvious benefit, but one thing I've noticed from playtesting with Boros Charm is the advantage of having a greater number of instants in the deck. This allows the pilot to be far more responsive to their opponents play. Instead of playing Flame Rift for 4 damage on our turn, Boros Charm allows us to leave mana open to play Red Elemental Blast if our opponent happens to play a Counterbalance, or to play Lightning Bolt to answer a Stoneforge Mystic, all the while maintaining the option to send 4 to the dome. There is also the greater utility of Boros Charm to consider. Though the other abilities of the charm seem incidental, through testing I have found situations where they come in handy. Double strike is rarely better than an additional 4 damage to the dome, but when an opponent has Leyline of Sanctity down, the extra 2 or 3 damage when cast on a creature keeps the card from being completely dead. The option of making your permanents indestructible might seem like a bit of a stretch to justify, but I have found it useful for protecting graveyard hate (I'll discuss the sideboard later on) and lands from Wasteland if need be. The strongest attribute that Flame Rift has, in my opinion, is that it can play through Leyline of Sanctity. Though Boros Charm can't directly play through Leyline of Sanctity, I believe the card makes up for it with its sheer utility and isntant speed.

Another card I am excited about from Gatecrash is Skullcrack. This is taking the place of Sulfuric Vortex at the moment, but I still feel like I need to do further testing with it. With Umezawa’s Jitte and Batterskulll abound, it is easy to see why a burn player needs to have a solution for life gain main deck; Skullcrack and Sulfuric Vortex seeming like the strongest candidates. There are a couple reasons I chose to run Skullcrack over Sulfuric Vortex. First, there is the advantage of running more instants that I mentioned earlier while discussing Boros Charm. This can also add an element of surprise, having your opponent play their life gain (that you secretly have an answer too) that they otherwise wouldn’t if Vortex was down. Then there is the mana cost to consider. Skullcrack's converted mana cost of 2 versus Vortex’s 3, allows you to run one less land quite comfortably. This results in having one more burn spell. If you want to get real theoretical, there is also the concept of running little to no permanents in order to limit the amount of interaction your opponent has with you (this is the idea of virtual card advantage if you want to open up that can of worms). My main reason though, for running 4 Skullcrack, is the hope of limiting the number of suboptimal late game draws. Skullcrack is still a bolt at worst and there are at least a couple hypothetical situations I can think of where I would rather top deck Skullcrack over Sulfuric Vortex. Another strong argument for the card is that it basically opens up the floodgates against Energy Field. Maybe I've played against too many U/W control decks, but not having an answer to Rest in Peace/Energy Field in an already unfavourable match up, stings. I realize Vortex is better against life gain but I'm hoping that this new addition can buy me the extra turn I need, while still being instant speed damage when life gain is irrelevant.

Deciding what creatures to run in your Burn list is another popular subject of debate. It seems fairly unanimous that Goblin guide is here to stay, but for my second slot, I am a strong advocate for Hellspark Elemental. Through testing I have found so many interesting situations where Hellspark is effective. The card is resilient against discard and its unearth ability is immune to counter magic. Personally, discard and counter magic are some of the most frustrating things to play against when piloting burn, and Hellspark Elemental allows you to still get some potential damage in. Furthermore, when facing dredge, the card is great for removing Bridge From Below from your opponents graveyard. I realize Grim Lavamancer is quite popular and I’m not suggesting that it isn’t a great card, in fact there are many matchups where Lavamancer is ideal. I just feel more sympathetic towards the opinions of James Heslip and his concept of "guaranteed damage". You can read his burn article on MTG Salvation for a better idea of what I’m getting at (http://www.mtgsalvation.com/1317-squ...et-legacy.html). This idea of "guaranteed damage" is also why I feel cards like Steppe Lynx and Vexing devil don’t make the cut either.

Finally I would like to discuss the sideboard. Regardless of all the great things I said about Boros Charm, one of the strongest arguments for splashing white comes from the sideboarding options that it makes available. I chose Disenchant primarily to answer Burn hate, namely Leyline of Sanctity. Though Leyline might not be as abundant in metas outside my own, I feel like it is gaining popularity due to the rise of Omni-show with Enter the Infinite, using Leyline to protect mainly from discard. Personally, I feel Leyline of Sanctity is such a headache to play against that I would like to have a means of addressing it, especially if it pops up in a U/W control list (Don’t even get me started on Chill or Energy Field). Though I love Smash to Smithereens, Disenchant’s ability to get rid of pesky enchantments as well as artifacts (no 3 damage to the dome mind you) is why it makes it into my sideboard. The other white card in the sideboard is Rest in Peace. R.I.P. is not only one of the best graveyard hate cards around but it is also very effective against a large amount of popular legacy cards in the current metagame. It shrinks Tarmogoyf and Knight of the Reliquary, shuts down Deathrite Shaman and Scavenging Ooze, and removes any flashback cards like Lingering Souls and Cabal Therapy. Since these cards see quite a bit of play, I think that Rest in Peace is a powerful card in any list that can run it (the obvious card to board out for R.I.P. is typically Hellspark Elemental). I don’t think Red Elemental Blast needs much explanation and the 3 Searing Blaze work well with the fetch lands, but this slot is flexible.

Ultimately the deck performs quite comparably to the mono-red list from which it was born, but with the advantage of increased responsive play, answers to crippling hate, and dealing less damage to one’s own life total. The main disadvantage to this list is that it opens itself up to Wasteland hate, which may be a hard pill to swallow for some mono-red pilots. With my experience so far, this hasn’t seemed to create to much of an issue and is typically quite easy to play around. A good friend of mine in my playgroup, who has been quite supportive of this build through encouragement and card suggestions, pilots a Pox build with 4 Wasteland and 4 Sink Hole. The constrictions on mana this matchup places on Boros Burn may be slightly higher than that of its mono-red counterpart, but I believe it is arguably negligible or are at least worth the trade-off for the benefits that splashing white gives in other matchups.

I’ve been pretty happy so far with the playtesting results Boros Burn is producing, but I still need a bit of time to get completely familiar with piloting the deck. I encourage anyone to try this list in your local meta and I would love to hear your results with the deck. I’m fairly sold on the idea of splashing white, but any criticisms or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.
    The only advantage of going Boros really is enchantment removal imo. While Boros Charm is a better Flame Rift, it's not that much better. Removing Leyline is key and Skullcrack is not good enough. It's barely good enough in Standard much less Legacy. As far as "answers" Smash to Smithereens is the best answer to Jitte and Batterskull.
    Rest in Peace is also quite bad in burn. Faerie Macabre is uncounterable and can be used on a turn 0.
    Imagine there are no hypothetical situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Nooner View Post
    The only advantage of going Boros really is enchantment removal imo. While Boros Charm is a better Flame Rift, it's not that much better. Removing Leyline is key and Skullcrack is not good enough. It's barely good enough in Standard much less Legacy. As far as "answers" Smash to Smithereens is the best answer to Jitte and Batterskull.
    Rest in Peace is also quite bad in burn. Faerie Macabre is uncounterable and can be used on a turn 0.
    Boros Burn opens up an entirely new avenue that I've been exploring recently. It's not really a "burn" deck anymore, more of an aggro-combo deck, but it's a lot of fun to play against legacy aggro decks. The concept is a deck that uses lifegain and direct damage to stay above the opponent on life total, then combo out with Volcano Hellion or Boros Reckoner.

Core of the deck likes these kind of cards:

(Lifegain) - Knight of the Meadowgrain, Lightning Helix, Brion Stoutarm
    (Combo) - Nearhearth Pilgrim, Volcano Hellion, Boros Reckoner, Mogg Fanatic
    (Utility) - Boros Charm, Lightning Bolt
    (Tutor Package) - Go either with Stoneforge Mystic or that Boros Hammer that tutors up white/red instants.
    (Whatever countermagic protection floats your boat)

The idea is to put early pressure on with two-drops superior to theirs, and use lifegain to counteract decks with superior card advantage until you can combo out. The combos include:

Boros Reckoner + Nearhearth Pilgrim + Boros Charm = Arbitrarily large life.
    Boros Reckoner / Mogg Fanatic + Volcano Hellion = Win if you have more life than your opponent, draw otherwise.
    Nearhearth Pilgrim + Volcano Hellion = Gain an arbitrarily large amount of life.

The rest of the deck supports these combos but trying to balance life totals as long as possible. Alot of the cards interact really well. I once resolved Hellion while way down on life, but then responded to the Hellion's etb trigger by tossing him with Biron, swinging life totals by 12 and allowing the combo win.

You could also use Final Fortune, Tangle Wire/Smokestack, and Sundial of the Infinite for another package that works well with Hellion. (Sundail cancels Hellion's echo cost, leaving you with a 6/5 for 4 that is removal when it etb.)

It's a fun area to build a deck in, but I think you miss alot of this if you think of your deck as being "mono red burn" and then try to shoe horn Boros Charm into it.

Feb 2013
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Nooner View Post
    You've hit the nail on the head; enchantment removal is the driving force behind my build. Like I said, maybe I have faced down one to many U/W Control decks, but not having any play against Leyline of Sanctity and Energy Field/R.I.P. is rough. Concerning Rest in Peace versus Faerie Macabre, as far as graveyard hate goes, the choice is meta-game dependent in my opinion. Macabre is better against Reanimater (where playing through counter magic is relevant), but R.I.P. is stronger against Dredge. As far as boarding in R.I.P. against non-graveyard decks, you are probably right that the card doesn't fit well with the overall concept of Burn. I'm not ready to give up on Skullcrack quite yet though. I still feel it deserves more testing.
    Last edited by Lyle Hopkins; 02-19-2013 at 05:24 PM.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Deck seems pretty solid when I played against it.

Hi Lyle :P

-Matt

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

Boros burn has always seemed fun to me. We have a local player that runs it from time to time.

I think I understand what you're saying with no Steppe Lynx or Vexing Devil, but it does seem weird to me when combined with Boros Charm. Steppe Lynx in particular.
    Find me on Twitter: @beanaman

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    His graveyard was a fucking encyclopedia of countermagic.

Feb 2013
    Canada

Thanks, Matt! Hopefully I'll make it out to Stronghold this Thursday for a rematch.

Quote Originally Posted by .dk View Post
    Boros burn has always seemed fun to me. We have a local player that runs it from time to time.

I think I understand what you're saying with no Steppe Lynx or Vexing Devil, but it does seem weird to me when combined with Boros Charm. Steppe Lynx in particular.
    I'm not sure I understand your post. Could you elaborate, please?

Concerning the build MaximumC suggested... it seems like a fun deck and in all honesty I would have to give it some serious testing before I could form an opinion about it, but the reason I chose Burn as a starting point is because it has already proven itself as a fairly competitive archetype and the current meta-game seems weak to Price of Progress. I'm not suggesting that other Boros builds aren't viable, it's just that this is the direction I would like to take my build.

Your threat density seems very low. Are you sure 8 creatures is really enough? Are you just trying to invalidate Abrupt Decay?

Feb 2013
    Warsaw, Ny

grim lavanmancer seems really good for this deck, and pyrostatic pillars for the sideboard for combo decks

Mar 2009
    Zurich

Quote Originally Posted by lost_ronin_soul View Post
    grim lavanmancer seems really good for this deck, and pyrostatic pillars for the sideboard for combo decks
    Lavamancer is probably too slow for burn. Though I played it a few years ago in the sideboard since it wrecked Merfolk.

Feb 2013
    Warsaw, Ny

i would throw a single isochron septor in the 75....most likely sideboard since game 2 and 3 they will most likely remove anything that can answer it and then you have card advantage

Play Deed. Nuke the World.
    Oct 2010

Sunburn
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Chain Lightning
    4 Lava Spike
    4 Rift Bolt
    4 Boros Charm
    4 Flame Rift
    4 Fireblast
    4 Price of Progress
    4 Goblin Guide
    4 Spark Elemental
    4 Arid Mesa
    4 Plateau
    1 Plains
    11 Mountain
    -
    4 Enlightened Tutor
    3 Oblivion Ring
    3 Pyrostatic Pillar
    3 Everlasting Torment
    2 Leyline of Sanctity
    2 Leyline of the Void

Feb 2013
    Warsaw, Ny

Quote Originally Posted by EpicLevelCommoner View Post
    Sunburn
    4 Badlands
    i'd prefer rain of gore in the 75 cuz it hits tendrils of agony and hits batterskull

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

Steppe lynx is pretty sweet in this deck IMO.

Jun 2009
    Quad Cities, IA

If you play Lynx, I think you should play Lightning Helix too. That way you'll have 12 spells to clear the way on turn two after a turn one Lynx.
    The Quad Cities: twice as nice as the Twin Cities.

Feb 2013
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Zirath View Post
    Your threat density seems very low. Are you sure 8 creatures is really enough? Are you just trying to invalidate Abrupt Decay?
    I find 8 creatures to be optimal. Variations on Patrick Sullivan's most recent burn list (http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...p?DeckID=49446) are putting up results and that build runs 8 creatures as well. Typically with Burn/Mono-red you're seeing around 8-12 creatures from what I've noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by lost_ronin_soul View Post
    Lavamancer sees play in similar builds, but I still sympathize with this whole "guaranteed damage" thing and Hellspark just feels so strong in certain situations (my argument is in the 5th paragraph after my list). Not having haste gives your opponent another turn to find an answer. That said, an active Lavamancer is a powerful thing. Maybe I'll dust mine off for the next tournament, we'll see. Concerning Steppe Lynx, I think Hellspark and Lavamancer are much stronger cards. Their utility outweighs the extra couple damage Landfall would give you, in my opinion. I totally agree with you on Pyrostatic Pillar though. I ran these instead of Searing Blaze at a recent tournament, but unfortunately never ran into any combo to try them out. Seems like it would ruin any Storm, High Tide, or even Combo Elves if it resolved.

Feb 2013
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by EpicLevelCommoner View Post
    Sunburn
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Chain Lightning
    4 Lava Spike
    4 Rift Bolt
    4 Boros Charm
    4 Flame Rift
    4 Fireblast
    4 Price of Progress
    4 Goblin Guide
    4 Spark Elemental
    4 Arid Mesa
    4 Plateau
    1 Plains
    11 Mountain
    -
    4 Enlightened Tutor
    3 Oblivion Ring
    3 Pyrostatic Pillar
    3 Everlasting Torment
    2 Leyline of Sanctity
    2 Leyline of the Void
    The Tutor package thing you have going on in the sideboard is neat, but I would be frightened to top deck Enlightened Tutor when burn is needed. I've never thought about Everlasting Torment before; might be worth testing. Also, what are your opinions on Spark Elemental? I just feel like Hellspark Elemental's unearth ability gives it more play.

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Hopkins View Post
    I'm not sure I understand your post. Could you elaborate, please?
    Seemd like giving Steppe Lynx double strike after cracking a couple fetches or whatever seemed pretty awesome. That's all. :)
    Find me on Twitter: @beanaman

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    His graveyard was a fucking encyclopedia of countermagic.

Feb 2013
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by .dk View Post
    Seemd like giving Steppe Lynx double strike after cracking a couple fetches or whatever seemed pretty awesome. That's all. :)
    Hey now! I never thought of that. Could be fun, but I think the ideal situation would probably result in Lynx being maximum a 6/7 and still dependent on whether or not your opponent has any blockers or spot removal. Seems a tad risky, but big damage if it gets through.

Feb 2013
    Canada

After some thought, I guess my may concern with this deck is whether or not it's worth becoming susceptible to Wasteland in order to run Boros Charm (which I believe is marginally the better card) over Flame Rift. The other thing is if enchantment removal is really a problem considering the current meta-game.

Thread Information