Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: American-Blade (legacy U/W/R control)

Feb 2013
    Warsaw, Ny

American-Blade (legacy U/W/R control)

What is this deck about?
    American blade is a deck that 'draw-go' deck. It means you make your most important plays often during your opponent's turn. The deck plays snapcaster, vendilion clique, and a boat load of instants to respond to your opponents plays. This is hopefully enough to disable their strategy. If you do play a card on you turn, its to hopefully drop a value card like Stoneforge, Jace, Geist of saint traft or some equipment.

The Deck list(2/19/2013)

Lands:
    1 Academy Ruins
    2 Arid Mesa
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Scalding Tarn
    1 Plateau
    2 Tundra
    2 Volcanic Island
    3 Island
    1 Mountain
    1 Plains

Creatures:
    2 Geist of Saint Traft
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    2 Vendilion Clique

Instants:
    4 Brainstorm
    1 Counterspell
    4 Force of Will
    4 Lightning Bolt
    3 Spell Pierce
    3 Swords to Plowshares(Sideboard one as of 4/18/13)
    1 Izzetet Charm(updated 4/18/13)

Artifact:
    1 Batterskull
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    2 Sensei's Divining Top
    2 Engineered Explosives

Planeswalkers:
    3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

Sideboard: (changes as of 4/18/13)
    2 Detention Sphere
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Mindbreak Trap
    1 Spell Pierce
    1 Engineered Explosives
    3 Red Elemental Blast
    2 Rest In Peace
    1 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Supreme Verdict

Card selection:
    Main board:
    Academy Ruins is a land that lets you be more aggressive with playing batterskull because you can rest assured you have potential to recur it if it takes an unfortunate trip to the graveyard. Also its stupid powerful with engineered explosives when you have the mana to work with. I choose it over the other option land (karakas) for this reason. I will note it is a personal preference.

I run 5 basics because it allows the deck to cast everything including hard casting force of wills with less non basic land disruption. I like running 17 blue land sources to help reduce ugly mulligans. I run 10 fetchland to insure I see basics when dealing with wasteland decks.

Geist of Saint Traft is a power house. With his self-preservation ability of shroud any decks have trouble removing him (example bolt, abrupt decay, swords, Jace) and he swings for 6. With this decks sweet spot removal he quickly wraps up games and its not uncommon he win a game all by himself because he is a boss. Be careful with bolts if the enemy packs misdirection! It ignores his hexproof.

Snapcaster Mageis a card advantage house and with so many instants in this deck. He is good for bear beats, and responding on your opponent's turn. He lets you safely put a clock on your opponents end step against combo matchups where its dangerous to tap out. Stoneforge Mystic is powerful plain and simple. He is the reason to run 4 Force of Will (as well as they improve combo matchup).With only 2 cards to search for however its best ran as a 3 of so you are less likely to draw a useless one late game. Batterskull is a nice card to fetch for when you are not sure if stoneforge will survive, and you want to attempt to put early pressure. Even if SF dies, at worst you have 4/4 life link vigilance threat when you get 5 mana.

Vendilion Clique is amazing. You can flash it in at the end of the draw step to get rid of opponents best cards, or slap it down at the end of their turn to put suprise agro pressure with evasion. If you have counter magic and the mana available against a combo deck, I prefer waiting till the end of the turn to try to slap it down because if they dont try to combo out you get a clock and get rid of the best card in their hand without tapping out giving them potential to combo off. If they do try to combo off you have the option to clique them *which can lead to wasted spells like a useless show and tell or mana excell wasted for your opponent) and you have mana for convential counterspells if things get dicey.It gets super charged with lingering equipment. It also can counter enemy stoneforge retrievals.

The singleton counterspell. When you need a hard counter, there is no subsitute that works better. Easy to snapcaster. Spell piercex3 is better at this point then an addition 3 counterspells in the main because this meta is too fast.

The singleton Izzet Charm. It is has application in every matchup due to its mediocre versatility. It has replaced the fouth swords to plowshares in the main board. It is a new addition, but so far its relevancy vrs swords to plowshares only came into question in 2 preboard games (one tournament, one playtest against maverick). So far in both times it was game changing and better in both both events. It stopped a sneak attack deck from outright winning when I had no other countermagic and against maverick I only had a basic mountain and basic island available. I am sure there will be days iI will wish it was the 4th sword but for I been super pleased by its results.

Lightning Bolt is great removal for most creatures, gives reach, and with snapcaster mage it shows real value. Its has interaction in almost every matchup you will ever face. Often it is better then swords to plowshares (when you want to kill a veteran explorer for mana, dont want the opponent to gain life, snapcaster fun , ect)

Force of will Is the glue of legacy. It helps keep combo decks at bay as well as gives you an insurance policy when you tap out for geist of saint traft, Jace, and stoneforge. It also is the hailmary (pray you find it) counterspell when u need a counter and you dig with brainstorm or sensei's diving top.

Spell Pierce stops early bad stuff from happening like disacard, enchantments, equipment and it also eats up planeswalkers very very very often. Its also snap caster friendly. If its not enough it can often be upgraded to or reinforced with Flusterstorm depending on what matchup you face.

Swords to Plowshares is one of the best removal spells. It normally makes the life gain your opponent gains trivia (most of the time). It interacts interestingly aginst decks that have sent to the graveyard from the field effects and gets rid of big creatures bolt can't wrap up. It is however completely useless in certain matchups like storm, enchantress, high tide, miracles, show and tell (typically unfavorable even with griselbrand builds).

Umezawa's Jitte is good for shoring up creature base matches (like elves). After its charged it can give American-blade's creatures some much needed toughness to survive combat exchanges. Typically try not to keep more then four counter on it at any given time since it can be destroyed and reducing your opponent's life total is important to put them in bolt range. I typically like is at 2-3 counters.

Sensei's Divining Top is this deck's version of ponder. It runs off any land increasing keep able hands. With the heavy fetchland base, prolonged games become more favorable. It gives a huge mid-late game advantage and helps play around discard strategies, find threats, or early game lands.

Engineered Explosives is your best best at removing threats that slip through countermagics (mostly enchantments and artifacts). It has nice Utilities against akward matchups. It eats token, small creatures, chalice of the voids, lions eye diamonds, liliana of the viels, and the occasional small child. The third Engineered Explosives is nice because it helps wipes tokens for the miracle/dredge matchup, hexproof answer, as well as wipe low CC creature rush decks like elves and agro.

Jace, the Mind Sculptor draw ability is stupid strong in this deck because its typically draws stuff to protect itself, and then follows up with card advantage lead which often turns into a game win (by finding the cards to dish the damage or if you prefer his ultimate it will get you the C.A. you need to keep it alive).

As for the sideboard:
    Detention Sphere is a card I don't like because its leave play trigger. Unfortunately, its too good to not run since it is a good "catch all" . You bring it in against the mirror and show and tell, and if you prefer you can bring it in against creature based decks.

Flusterstorm helps with reanimator/tinfins matchup, as well are other combo and control decks. It is useful with all the storm decks I run into.

Mindbreak Trap is a 'catch all' to replace any potential dead cards and in the event there is no other decent sideboard cards are available (like against eldrazi casts), and yes it makes storm even more favorable by accident.

Red Elemental Blast are good because many many many decks run blue. is relevant in jace wars at any stage of the game. Its good against show and tell decks too.

Supreme verdict and I do not see eye to and I had a bad expierence with it. It has recently been allowed back into the sideboard as a one of, when i draw it it does alot of hard work for me.

Rest in peace is the sideboard graveyard hate. As only a two of the game plan is to stay alive long enough with countermagic to dig one of these up. Once cast you should be safe as long as its protected.

As for swords to plowshares and engineered explosives one of's, they are nice to reinforce the maindeck games 2 and 3 in appropriate match ups.

There is a similar delver version of the deck delver of secrets variant (I know these links may get broken with time or maybe or may become outdated but its to serve as a basic reference), and you may wonder why you would want to play American-blade, instead. American-blade has heavier mid-late game value cards package ( typically need an answer or can often turn around a game). ess likey to do that on a turn 5+ delver all by themselves). Those cards are the jaces and the small 5 card Stoneforge Package (Stoneforge +equipments). The Stoneforge Package in Jitte mode is hard on creature based decks and with flash creatures can foten get the drop on someone with a pseudo haste guy to equip a jitte and start killing off creatures if they dont keep a blocker back. On batterskull mode: it puts an aggressive clock that can deal 5 a turn once it becomes active. Delver decks run a sweet stifle/wastland package which helps win games outright by themselves by affecting opponents manabase. Stifle at times they are situational useless and as a game draws on it typically loses value. A late game stifle draw is typically terrible at recovering board position, and wasteland makes the manabase more fragile than the basic land package. Their deck runs Grim lavamancer instead which helps path clear for Geist of and to help control small creature populations but snapcaster is my preferance here. Explosives is excellent at creature control that delver can't run in the main as easily because most of their dudes cost 1 (delver and lavamancer) or zero (flipped delver) and explosives often is set on those. Yes explosives goes on two occassoinal while snapcaster or stoneforge to answer opponents threats, but their etb trigger already resolved so its less devasating on board position. Also engineered Explosives easliy nets card advantage by clearing mulpitle cards at once. (and can take out chalice of the void). The Esper Stoneblade deck runs a sweet discard package which I think is really nice at times, but American-blade excels at the trying to catch up on the draw better(I feel) because its more likely to draw a quick removal (bolt or swords) for that deathrite shaman, dark confidant, stoneforge, and other creatures that need to die quick before they become a major problem. With swords and lightning bolt it becomes easier to defend jace off a brainstorm ability because you are more likely to draw a kill spell or a snapcaster to flashback a kill spell. This gives you card advantage to help secure a win. Bolt is also nice for reach to bring your control deck to a quicker result against a tournament clock because you can clear dudes out of the way to beat face or you can snapcaster a bolt for extra damage. So this helps reduce the number of matches that you have that go to time. You can even use jace to bounce a snapcaster for that extra 3 damage that sits in your yard ^_^

Cards that were considered/tested(side/main board since i created the deck to its current state) :
    counterflux (for protected combo decks but flusterstorm is currently more relevant, and was the card that originally drew me to splash red in the main ) , Rest in peace (it hits "when this dies" effects, like veteran explorer, and is solid graveyard hate) , Guerrilla tactics (neat tech on discard versus liliana of the veil and hymn and kills creatures , but isnt typically that big of a game changer), back to basics, trinket mage, pithing needle, supreme verdict, pyroclasm, undergroundsea (i added the 3rd tundra instead but the sea functions as an blue land that could increase explosives to 4 like jace , thrun, humilty, sneak attack, while maken surgical extraction easier on the life total), karakas(i like my blue land count with ruins), plateau (i try keeping 18 blue lands in the deck,..2 lands non blue basic lands leaves one spot left which i like ruins currently), magnus of the moon, stifle, wasteland, grim lavamancer (I dont like how you dont get any advantage from standard removal spells casted on him if he is not active), serra avanger (ran in white land mana based version in an older version), figure of destiny (ran in white land mana based version in an older version), izzet charm, pyro blast (as a two of when red blast is a two of, for a 4 card 2/2 split), lightning helix, kitchen finks, path to exile (as of 3 of sideboard), meddling mage (for combo matchups or if I need to bring in more dudes and can ban things), delver of secrets (I dont like how you dont get any advantage from standard removal spells casted on him and is anti-synergetic with swords a little bit), and Phyrexian metamorph (a second batterskull is attractive as well as being a legend killer).

SIDEBOARDING GUIDE 5/6/13:

****AGGRO****

+++++++++++++++++++++++
    Goblins:
    OUT:
    3x spellpierce
    1x counterspell
    1x force of will

IN:
    1x swords to plowshares
    1x Engineered explosives
    1x Supreme Verdict
    2x Dention sphere

+++++++++++++++++++++++
    RUG Delver:
    OUT:
    3x jace
    4x lightning bolt
    1x Izzet charm
    1x counterspell

IN:
    1x spell pierce
    3x red elemental blast
    1x Supreme Verdict
    1x engineered explosives
    1x swords to plowshares
    2x Rest in Peace

Keeping force of will over lightning bolt maybe needed to prevent stifle'd fetchland land blow outs. Red's should handle delver of secrets just fine. Jace games 2 and 3is bad because you need to get to 4 mana and they have many cards that make it tough for jace to be worth it (red elemental blasts, sulfuric vortex, spell pierce ). Fluster storm is reall good at winning counter wars here, but I feel its depending what they side in I think sulfuric vortex is more of a threat to worry about. Gameplan is to sink a threat (primarily stoneforge) and protect it (force of will).

+++++++++++++++++++++++
    Maverick:
    OUT:
    3x spell pierce
    2x Vendilion clique

IN:
    1x engineered explosive
    1x Supreme Verdict
    1x Sword to plowshares
    2x detention sphere

I believe in keeping force of will in this matchup because it lets you safe cast stonforge without swords to plowshares killing it, It also stops greensun zeniths from resolving (which will change the game) as well as blow out cards like sylvan lybrary, tsunami, choke, elspeth, ect, exspecially if they can get cradle online and power through spell pierce. I normally am against taking out threats in the deck but vendilion clique gets stopped by karakas and maze of ith, and is a bad chump blocker versus thalia. There maybe a better 2 cards to cut because jitte and vendillion cligue is really good if they dont get a utility land online.

+++++++++++++++++++++++
    JUNK:
    Out:
    OUT:
    3x Spell pierce

IN:
    1x Supreme Verdict
    1x Sword to plowshares
    1x engineered explosives

Detention sphere is optional, but probably not neccessary.

+++++++++++++++++++++++
    Stoneblade
    OUT:
    3x spell pierce
    1x umezawa's jitte
    4x lightning bolt

IN:
    3x red elemental blasts
    2x detention sphere
    1x engineered explosives
    1x spell pierce
    1x swords to plowshares

It is important to keep some spot removal main incase they sink a stoneforge mystic.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++
    Merfolk:
    OUT:
    4x Force of Will
    3x spell pierce

IN:
    3x Red elemental blasts
    1x Supreme Verdict
    1x swords to plowshares
    1x eneginered explosives
    2x detention sphere

+++++++++++++++++++++++
    Affinity:
    OUT:
    3x spell pierce

IN:
    1x Supreme Verdict
    1x Swords to plowshares
    1x engineered explosives

+++++++++++++++++++++++
    Mono-Red burn (sorcery/instants builds):
    OUT:
    2x engineered explosives
    4x lightning bolt

IN:
    1x Spell Pierce
    2x fluster storm
    2x mindbreak trap (bad countermagic to help make sure late game price of progress or sulfuric vortex don't land)
    1x swords to plowshares (emergency life gain)

+++++++++++++++++++++++
    Mono-Red burn ( with Creature):
    OUT:
    2x engineered explosives
    2x lightning bolt

IN:
    1x Spell Pierce
    2x fluster storm
    1x swords to plowshares

+++++++++++++++++++++++
    U/R Delver:
    OUT:
    1x counterspell
    3x spell pierce
    1x izzet charm
    IN:
    1x swords to plow shares
    1x engineered explosives
    3x red elemental blast

This match seems to have been a favorable matchup so far since there isnt many builds with wastelands or stifle.

+++++++++++++++++++++++
    Jund
    OUT:
    3x bolt
    2x engineered explosives

IN:
    1x swords to plowshares
    1x supreme verdict
    2x rest in peace
    1x spell pierce
    +++++++++++++++++++++++
    Vision cascade
    OUT:
    2 x bolt
    2 x spell pierce
    2 x engineered explosives

IN:
    1x swords to plowshares
    1x supreme verdict
    2x rest in peace
    2x flusterstorm

This matchup has been unfavorable.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++
    ****COMBO****

+++++++++++++++++++++++
    Reanimator (blue splash):
    OUT:

2x Engineered Explosives
    1x Umezawa's Jitte
    4x lightning bolt
    1x swords to plowshares

IN:
    1x spell pierce
    2x flusterstorm
    2x rest in peace
    3x red elemental blast

Swords to plowshare, lightning bolt, detention sphere, supreme verdict and red elemental blasts can shuffle around depending on the varient.

++++++++++++++++++++++
    Tin-Fins
    OUT:
    4x lightning bolt
    2x Engineered Explosives
    1x Umezawa's Jitte
    3x swords to plowshares

IN:
    1x spell pierce
    2x flusterstorm
    2x rest in peace
    2x mind break trap
    3x red elemental blast

+++++++++++++++++++++++
    Show and Tell:
    OUT:
    3x swords to plow shares
    2x Engineered Explosives
    1x Umezawa's Jitte
    4x lightning bolt

IN:
    1x spell pierce
    2x flusterstorm
    2x Dention sphere
    3x red elemental blasts
    2x mindbreak trap

+++++++++++++++++++++++
    Sneak and Show
    OUT:
    2x Engineered Explosives
    1x Umezawa's Jitte
    4x lightning bolt

IN:
    1x spell pierce
    2x flusterstorm
    2x Dention sphere
    2x mindbreak trap

+++++++++++++++++++++++
    Dredge:
    OUT:
    1x izzet charm
    1x counter spell
    3x jace
    1x Umezawa's Jitte

IN:
    1x engineered explosives
    2x rest in peace
    1x swords to plowshares
    2x detention sphere

+++++++++++++++++++++++
    high tide decks:
    OUT:
    3x Swords to Plowshares
    2x engineered explosives
    1x Umezawa's Jitte
    3x spell pierce

IN:

2x Flusterstorm
    2x mindbreak trap
    3x Red elemental blast
    2x rest in peace
    +++++++++++++++++++++++
    storm
    OUT:
    3x Swords to Plowshares
    1x Umezawa's Jitte
    3x jace

IN:
    1x Spell Pierce
    2x Flusterstorm
    2x mindbreak trap
    2x rest in peace

+++++++++++++++++++++++
    Turbo Eldrazi (bad matchup)
    OUT:
    3x jace
    2x engineered explosives
    1x Umezawa's Jitte
    1x academy ruins
    IN:
    2x mindbreak trap
    2x rest in peace
    1x spell pierce
    2x detention spheres
    The goal is to race them. If they become active the goal then becomes to hailmary them and remove all their wincon's from the game (3 power-drazi and 4 primeevil titans). It's the best I can come up with to try and beat it :-/

+++++++++++++++++++++++
    Elves:
    OUT:
    2x geist of saint traft
    3x spell pierce

IN:
    1x Supreme Verdict
    1x engineered explosives
    1x swords to plowshares
    2x flusterstorm
    +++++++++++++++++++++++
    MUD
    OUT:
    1x Umezawa's Jitte
    1x snapcaster mage

IN:
    1x engineered explosives
    1x swords to plowshares
    +++++++++++++++++++++++
    Enchantress
    OUT:
    1x Umezawa's Jitte
    3x Swords to Plowshares
    2x lighting bolt

IN:
    1x Spell Pierce
    2x detention spheres
    1x engineered explosive
    2x mind break trap

****CONTROL*****

+++++++++++++++++++++++
    Nic-Fit
    OUT:
    4x bolt
    2x Engineered Explosives

IN:
    1x Supreme Verdict
    2x rest in peace
    1x swords to plowshares
    2x mindbreak trap (they ramp with veteran explorer)
    this is just a base since sideboard may vary from scapewish, rectorfit, and GB builds
    +++++++++++++++++++++++
    U/W Miracles:
    OUT:
    1x Umezawa's Jitte
    3x Swords to Plowshares
    4x lightning bolt

IN:
    1x fluster storm
    1x spell pierce
    3x red elemental blast
    1x engineered explosives
    2X detention spere

+++++++++++++++++++++++
    U/B Tezzeret
    OUT:
    1x Umezawa's Jitte
    3x Spell pierce
    1x swords to powshares

IN:
    3x red elemental blasts
    2x detention sphere

Thank you for reading my first thread I ever posted. Feel free to give me your thoughts. The good, the bad , and the ugly :)

-LRS-
    (Dave M.)
    Last edited by lost_ronin_soul; 05-06-2013 at 10:50 AM.

Jun 2012
    Berlin, Germany

Re: American-Blade (legacy U/W/R control)

I don't think a red splash in a fairly stock U/W stoneblade list warrants a new thread. This is beeing widely discussed in the blade control thread ( see DTB section).

Pancake
    Oct 2012
    Netherlands

French-blade would be more appropriate, cus that is literally U/W/R.

Feb 2013
    Warsaw, Ny

Quote Originally Posted by Mister M. View Post
    I don't think a red splash in a fairly stock U/W stoneblade list warrants a new thread. This is beeing widely discussed in the blade control thread ( see DTB section).
    Well thanks for checking out my list anyways, and if this thread's existence offends you, I apologize in advance. I was unaware it was being widely discussed in a different thread because I have been brewing this list independantly and testing it for a while. In tournaments I have taken this too its track record is mediocre , partly because it can be difficult to pilot. So while it has done "ok" (always wining as much , or winning more then it loses) it has yet to top at a major event. It did however win 4 out of 5 rounds at a legacy competition (star city games side event) in Edison Nj a couple weeks ago. It only lost to MUD (metalworker mono red) , but beat elves, reanimator, and 2 other decks (i forgot the last two matchups).

Quote Originally Posted by Bobmans View Post
    French-blade would be more appropriate, cus that is literally U/W/R.
    lol I suppoe it could be called that too depending on your preference

It's not that it's offensive, it's just redundant. You should post your list in the stoneblade thread in the DTB section where this discussion is already going on.

Legacy Staple
    May 2008
    Citizen of the world.

I thank you for having created this thread, because I was thinking about a very similar deck by myself as I am convinced that UWR is the premier tryad of choice to fight the new metagame infested by BGx decks. I am also surprised by how similar my choices are with yours, although I don't like Geist that much (just because its potential greatly varies in between matchups, not because the car isn't really good).

If I were to suggest things I would change or tweak, the first thing would be cutting Spell Pierce in favour of Spell Snare. SS hits the card advantage centerpieces of many decks, such as Counterbalance, Stoneforge Mystic, Snapcaster Mage and Dark Confidant, and is the best answer avaiable when you're on the draw. Pierce's effectiveness is furtherly watered down by the fact that you don't run Wasteland. The only scenarios where Pierce is superior is against Show and Tell, because you have answers to PWs in the form of Geist, Clique and Bolt; Snare also remains a solid topdeck in every stage of the game.
    The second Counterspell could be a very solid pick; I'd try a configuration of 3-1 or 2-2 and figure out which is the best.

I'd also cut some of the Lightning Bolts (8 spot removals is a lot) to accomodate a Supreme Verdict, which can get rid of troublesome stuff like Emrakul (this even more if you were to cut Pierce), as well as turning an unfavourable board upside down: this may happen when you're facing Jund or the likes of Tribal decks.

As for sideboard candidates, I'd strongly take in consideration Blood Moon, which wins BGx matchups by itself as long as you're willing to craft your manabase in a slightly smoothier way with more basics (I'm personally a fan of 8 basics, 5 Isl-2 Pla-1 Mou-3 Tundras-2 Volcs-9 Fetchlands-1 Karakas-1 Academy Ruins: a very strong manabase which is difficult to disrupt. By the way, Karakas is really needed with 4 legendary creatures maindeck).
    Moon is also a good answer to Punishing Fire, which is a problem in your deck- Geist alone won't do it, you need a way to stop the engine cold and Rest in Peace unfortunately is very likely to be Decayed and thus isn't really reliable.

To summarize, this is my take:

4 Scalding Tarn
    2 Flooded Strand
    1 Arid Mesa
    3 Tundra
    2 Volcanic Island
    5 Island
    2 Plains
    1 Mountain
    1 Academy Ruins
    1 Karakas

4 Stoneforge Mystic
    2 Geist of Saint Traft
    2 Snapcaster Mage
    2 Vendilion Clique

3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    2 Spell Snare
    2 Counterspell

4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Lightning Bolt
    2 Engineered Explosives
    1 Supreme Verdict

1 Batterskull
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    2 Sensei's Divining Top

[22 blue cards]

Sideboard:
    2 Disenchant
    2 Flusterstorm
    3 Red Elemental Blast
    3 Rest in Peace
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Sower of Temptation/ (Sulfur Elemental)
    1 Elspeth, Knight Errant
    2 Blood Moon

Rest in Peace is a much more strong lock element than the Extractions, which aren't really suited for this kind of deck- not anymore. I can see maybe a split of 2-1 for a single SE if that shitty glass cannon thingie with Laboratory Maniac gains popularity, but that's it.
    Sower comes in against Show and Tell, as well as BUG, as they have no outs to her.
    Elspeth comes in against BGx decks as well, replacing the third Jace.
    Canonist is there against Storm and even Elves, which is a possible contender in this metagame.
    I'd even try to fit a single Pyroclasm somewhere maybe, even if it's unnecessary.

Deck is really strong and definitely has potential. There was even a prototype of it some time ago, opened by Klaus and named UWr Snapcaster control (I'll share the link if I can find it); from what I remember, it was eventually discarded because of the lack of clock. It wasn't structured on Stoneblade-esque shell though, so maybe SFM (and Geist, mostly) can help to solve this issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastorofmuppets View Post
    you just want us to do that because of your Silences, you sly dog.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Avatar of kicks_422's creation and property

Feb 2013
    Warsaw, Ny

Quote Originally Posted by Kich867 View Post
    It's not that it's offensive, it's just redundant. You should post your list in the stoneblade thread in the DTB section where this discussion is already going on.
    Well thank you for pointing that thread out, it has alot of posts but I will be checking out (to hopefully become a better pilot of my own deck). I still plan on keeping this thread active to talk about my matches and centralize a location for U/W/R lists only. I mostly plan on posting how my matches went so I have a tool to look back on as I continue to tweak this deck (I've been running the shell of this deck for a while now, adding cards in as more powerful cards were printed like stoneforge replacing serra avenger). Also by keeping this thread seperate it's easier to find things I've tried with the U/W/R list. Such as play testng magnus of the moon sideboard as well as other red sideboard cards, ect ,ect

Feb 2013
    Warsaw, Ny

I will try out Spell snare.(I don't like the card but I will try it out again) I don’t like top decking it and see it miss things like liliana, jace the mind sculptor or batterskull casts, greensun zeniths, adnauseam, dark ritual, duress, thoughtsieze and removal on stoneforge mystic. Yes, pierce loses some value around turn 4 and up but it can be shuffled away or force of will bait at that time, it can also be casted with snap to increase its counter effectiveness. games 2 and 3 it can be upgraded or complimented with flusterstorm (so far the 3 pierce and 3 flusterstorms in board has been working really effective for me and the second counterspell has been talked about with me and my local friends. They seem to like it as a one of in my deck and if I was to go two the recommend manaleak instead. Supreme verdict is pretty solid and with removal in the deck I can slow them down, I personally had a bad experience with it lol (kept seeing it when I wish it could have been something else). I actually thought about cutting the forth swords over the lightning bolt since bolt answers most threats effectively like dark confidant, baby-goyf, stoneforge, deathrite, meddling mage, tide-hollow sculler, I like dentention sphere against emrakul since I don’t lose board position and can keep my pressure up (right now they are in the sideboard). The land situation, I think the third tundra can turn into a 4th island without disrupting the deck I want to put karakas in the deck but right now I value academy ruins more because you can be more aggressive bringing batterskull into play, especially games 2 and 3 when hate is brought in.

Your list looks solid,... sower and disenchant are interesting cards over detention sphere. I like detention sphere because it can hit jaces and stoneforge packages and genocide tokens

I would prefer Magnus of the moon over blood moon because blood moon can be a pretty bad top deck late game

Question...what would you side in elsbeth against?
    Last edited by lost_ronin_soul; 03-04-2013 at 08:35 AM.

Jun 2012
    Berlin, Germany

@lost_ronin_soul:

I didn't mean to be rude, your decklist looks fine. I just thought since it's your first post and the stoneblade- discussion is running under the somewhat generic "blade control" moniker here on the source, I'd point you to that thread.

best, Mister M.

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

Anyway the OP could chop up the paragraphs a bit? It's kind of hard to read.

Why are we playing Supreme Verdict in a deck that wants to win through the combat step?
    Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    My love for Valakut knows no bounds. It mise well read:
    Land - Super Duper Mountain
    When you play a land, LIGHTNING BOLT!
    Quote Originally Posted by EpicLevelCommoner View Post
    Strange as it may seem, this deck seems like the best place for Ruhan of the Fomori. A 7/7 with the right equipment will end games nightmarishly quick, and it comes with the perk of being blue to pitch to Force of Will if you draw into extra copies. And it wouldn't be too hard to protect him in counter-heavy build.
    Follow me on Twitter @RaNDoMxGeSTuReS

Win or lose, it begins with...
    Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

Jace is always a viable win condition in a deck with counters + removal. Should the combat angle not pan out, then Jace Fateseal to death seems like the play. As such, Verdict supplements that route of victory.

Site Contributor

Aug 2012

I'd try Boros Charm to protect my threats, and for more reach :)

Legacy Staple
    May 2008
    Citizen of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by SirTylerGalt View Post
    I'd try Boros Charm to protect my threats, and for more reach :)
    lol.

Feb 2013
    Warsaw, Ny

Jace is a good alt win, but to be honest I mostly brainstorm with him so I rarely ultimate him... When I play against maverick Jace ultimate typically becomes the better path for victory because my deck had trouble getting through maze of ith when a karakas was on the field. This was before I put the two copies of geist in the deck. Supreme verdict could be a good card in the 75 but id prefer pyroclasm because it is a faster board wipe (even if some bigger dudes slip through Jace, swords , explosives and bolt should pick them up) boros charm looks nifty as the double strike can prove useful if blocking or indestructibility... the reach is better two. I like izzet charm better as a charm though since it more answers problems. I like helix better then boros charm because it can remove dudes, but I can't put boros charm down because I haven't play tested it. What is attractive about boros charm is it and clear a liliana after she activates the discard ability.
    Last edited by lost_ronin_soul; 03-04-2013 at 08:44 AM.

Play Deed. Nuke the World.
    Oct 2010

Strange as it may seem, this deck seems like the best place for Ruhan of the Fomori. A 7/7 with the right equipment will end games nightmarishly quick, and it comes with the perk of being blue to pitch to Force of Will if you draw into extra copies. And it wouldn't be too hard to protect him in counter-heavy build.

Legacy Staple
    May 2008
    Citizen of the world.

Really? I mean, is it a joke? What it is with this need by people lately to just name random terrible cards without realizing that they haven't nothing to do with the goal of the deck?

Feb 2013
    Warsaw, Ny

while the card is hilarious , and would be a legitamate threat and more reason for me to put karakas main board the fact that he cost 4 means he is fighting for jace the mindsulptor's spot which jace has more value

Play Deed. Nuke the World.
    Oct 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Piceli89 View Post
    Really? I mean, is it a joke? What it is with this need by people lately to just name random terrible cards without realizing that they haven't nothing to do with the goal of the deck?
    *shakes head* My bad: I thought there were a few Swords of Enemy Colors between the board and main . . . and a few more, beefier creatures as a back-up to Jace-Win.

Also, what exactly about a severely undercosted 7/7 is bad other than being overcosted for Legacy and being unable to block in most situations?

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

*shakes head* My bad: I thought there were a few Swords of Enemy Colors between the board and main . . . and a few more, beefier creatures as a back-up to Jace-Win.

Also, what exactly about a severely undercosted 7/7 is bad other than being overcosted for Legacy and being unable to block in most situations?
    Chump. Block. Hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    My love for Valakut knows no bounds. It mise well read:
    Land - Super Duper Mountain
    When you play a land, LIGHTNING BOLT!
    Follow me on Twitter @RaNDoMxGeSTuReS

Feb 2013
    Warsaw, Ny

He IS underocsted for sure, and a really good beater, but being a 4 drop in a 21 land deck means he competes with jace for being a four drop. you can increase the land count by throwing a karakas straight up, here is the problem of running him, on turn for IF you havent missed a land drop you WILL tap out , leaveing you vulernable to your opponent for until your next untap. jace at least can brainstorm to search for force of will against combo, against agro he can bounce the biggest beat stick, he can fateseal to protect againt lightning bolt, swords doesnt hit him (where the 7/7 has no protection against swords. the only amazing thing is if he has batterskull equiped....at that point playing him only goes to "win more" because you prolly have favorable board position anyways

Thread Information