Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blue Lagoon: an Affinity deck that isn't terrible.

Apr 2007
    Leicester, UK

Re: Blue Lagoon: an Affinity deck that isn't terrible.

I am not convinced by the deck and I think you need some Blinkmoth Nexus to up the land count. That said I love Ninja's and since I have almost all the cards will put together a Nin-Affinity list just for the fun of playing Ninja-Still agian.
    My Legacy Decks of choice: Pox, Miracles, D&T or Lands.
    Online Trading Reference Checker

Quote Originally Posted by lyracian View Post
    I am not convinced by the deck and I think you need some Blinkmoth Nexus to up the land count. That said I love Ninja's and since I have almost all the cards will put together a Nin-Affinity list just for the fun of playing Ninja-Still agian.
    If you play the deck, you'll get why I think it is vastly superior to any current version of affinity. Please, please, please try it with my list BEFORE you make any modifications. Even the slightest number crunching on your end without understanding how the deck plays/works could turn a well-oiled machine into a can of shit. This deck is different to play than either affinity or ninja-still, so you MUST have a couple games under your belt with it before you can understand how it works, this was something that became apparent with the first several games I played with the deck. That said, thanks a lot for your interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Gako View Post
    If you play the deck, you'll get why I think it is vastly superior to any current version of affinity. Please, please, please try it with my list BEFORE you make any modifications. Even the slightest number crunching on your end without understanding how the deck plays/works could turn a well-oiled machine into a can of shit. This deck is different to play than either affinity or ninja-still, so you MUST have a couple games under your belt with it before you can understand how it works, this was something that became apparent with the first several games I played with the deck. That said, thanks a lot for your interest.
    Glad to see your list has reached perfection. We can close the topic then, no need for discussion on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by alderon666 View Post
    Glad to see your list has reached perfection. We can close the topic then, no need for discussion on this one.
    Sadly there are still 10 or so flexible slots. The rest of the list is pretty close though, thanks for noticing.

Flames removed. Consider this a warning. Insulting other members is against site rules. If you think someone's post is unnecessarily rude, use the report function and the moderators will handle it. -zilla

Apr 2007
    Leicester, UK

Quote Originally Posted by Gako View Post
    This deck is different to play than either affinity or ninja-still, so you MUST have a couple games under your belt with it before you can understand how it works, this was something that became apparent with the first several games I played with the deck. That said, thanks a lot for your interest.
    To me it looks like a faster FaeryNinjaStill which is a deck I have played. Manlands are important to help you sneak creatures in under Standstill.
    My Legacy Decks of choice: Pox, Miracles, D&T or Lands.
    Online Trading Reference Checker

Hi Gako,

I dunno if you noticed the change on the Legendary rules, which will be effective on July 13.

I explain it :
    The legendary rule will be unilateral. If you have a legendary permanent on the board and your opponent puts the same one on board, nothing happens.
    If you have a legendary permanent on the board and you put the same one on the board, you'll have to chose one, sacrifice it and keep the other one.

It means you'll be able to do the following play : I got Mox opal in play, i take one mana, put another Mox opal, sacrifice the tapped one and another mana from the 2nd.

I think it can change your decklist and all Affinity lists a little bit, you could go for 4 Mox opal + 2 Chrome mox

So, happy ?

SRC Wizards : http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazin...feature%2F248e

Mar 2010
    Canada, New-Brunswick

Agree with Grokh.

Definitely better to have unwanted mox draws turn into lotus petals instead of the awkward choice given by extra chrome moxs:
    empty card vs card disadvantage + pressure on your blue cards.

Very interesting deck btw. Random comments:

Have you tried the deck with 4 signal pest already instead of 3? It looks like a creature you really want to draw, and it basically looks like it is your alternate win condition if you don't draw into cranial plating.

Do you think the deck might benefit from a few removal spells (maybe in the place of a few counter slots)? For example, dismember is probably a good fit for your deck. I'm thinking in a lot of non-combo matchups you would be happier with a dismember than a spell pierce.

As SpeedofDark and Grokk pointed out, the M14 rules changes significantly buffed Mox Opal, meaning later copies no longer just get stuck in your hand. With that in mind, my current list has two small changes. -4 Chrome Mox, +2 Mox Opal, +2 Springleaf Drum. As pointed out earlier, the drum merely replaces itself and reduces affinity count, but removing Chrome Mox abates the earlier problem of having too many pitch cards in an opener. Heres the new list for ease of reference:

Deck List
    Creatures
    4 Ornithopter
    4 Frogmite
    4 Memnite
    3 Signal Pest
    3 Mistblade Shinobi

Draw
    4 Ninja of the Deep Hours
    4 Thoughtcast
    4 Standstill

Counters
    4 Spell Pierce
    4 Force of Will

Artifacts
    4 Cranial Plating
    4 Mox Opal
    2 Springleaf Drum

Land
    4 Island
    4 Seat of the Synod
    4 Darksteel Citadel

I've played enough games with this iteration of the deck to give a list of matchups, which is coming soon in full. For now, heres how I think the deck fairs in general against various archetypes:

Combo - Heavily Favourable for us. Pierce and Force make this a difficult match for any of the fast combo decks: I've played reanimator alone maybe 6 or 7 matches and lost not a single one, dropped one or two games max. The slower combo decks struggle to beat us through our own fast clock, frogmite, memnite, pest, standstill is usually more than enough to handily close out with plenty of pierces and forces as backup.
    Midrange - Even? I've played the least against fair midrange decks, Maverick, Jund and all that jazz, but our first game is much stronger than theres. I've played against an older style maverick running a full set of Quasali Pridemages, and that card is certainly painful, but the only other dude we care about in their deck is Stoneforge, which we can often just safely Force. Grim lavamancer and punishing fire can also be problematic, but both are quite a bit slower than we are and often only have the power to tip the lategame.
    Control - Slightly Favourable for us. Stoneforge remains a problem, as Batterskull lifegain severely limits our clock. They also have forces to battle our forces, but if they run standstill, our stills are usually better and theirs nearly unplayeable. Batterskull can often be dealt with just with Mistblade shinobi, and with our high speed and strong game plan, I feel the tempo advantage that commonly helps against control is ours.
    Aggro - Heavily Favourable against us. Zoo is our nemesis. Delver decks and Goyf decks are often less of a struggle, being slower than us, but turn one dude, turn two dude X2 can be a major struggle for us, especially when they're 2/3s. Force and Pierce aren't profitable here and the fastest aggro decks feel like a major struggle to overcome. If they play badly, we have a decent shot against aggro, but careful play on their part is extremely difficult for us to beat.

In order to try and shore up our Aggro matchup, I've been thinking about crunching some of the numbers and adding in Chalice of the Void (Big thanks to Frogger for suggesting this card). The struggle is Chalice for 1 shuts off 9 cards in our deck. The 2 drums could be rereplaced with Chrome Moxen, but that may not be necessary, as the drums are there to support our opener and are rarely relevant topdecks. The other 7 cards are more of a dilemma. The spell pierces can be replaced by chalices, but that leaves us cutting one of the decks allstars and wincons in Signal Pest. Losing the pierces also weakens our other matchups, and reduces the consistency of our Force. I've been mulling over a number of replacements for the Pest slot, including Master of Etherium and Remand, but nothing really seems to shine through yet. I'd love to play stifle, but I just don't think 4 Islands is gonna cut it.

Signal Pest forces you to play a swarm deck when you could instead just be playing an aggressive deck. Cutting Pest means that your Memnites could just be Phyrexian Walker, which matters in a format of Deathrite Shamans since it picks up a Plating well. You could also then play Master of Etherium in that slot as Plating 5-7.

In that case, the Drums could be Ancient Tomb to power Chalice out more consistently.

I think the deck's an interesting concept. Looking at this latest list, I'm still wondering how powerful some of your cards (Ninjas in particular) are in the meta. My one suggestion - okay, the first suggestion - is maybe to run something like Stoneforge. It's just brutally powerful and wins games on its own; in this deck, it can grab Cranial in addition to Jitte and Batterskull, which is probably what you most often want to get with it.
    Suggestion #2 - it looks like you want to dump some threats and follow up with Standstill as soon as you can. Something like Memnite, Frogmite, Standstill is what this deck wants to do - Thopter into a ninja later. I might still reconsider a couple Chrome in there so you have the chance to do Mem, Frog, Stand all in the first turn and tick off your opponent. Manlands I think are necessary with Standstill, either Ink- or Blinkmoth, whichever you prefer.
    Suggestion #3 - removal? Your ninja need to connect, and the format's most prevalent problem - Batterskull - makes that extremely difficult. The only way I see you getting through that beast is with Flier -> Mistblade, and eventually the Skull is going to bounce and come back again. Actually, you can also Cranial and sac a dude into it, but if I saw Cranial coming, it'd get the big ole Force from me. Stoneforge can prevent that. Also, white gives you O Ring and Detention Sphere, Dispatch if you want a Plow in there.
    Black can get you Confidant and Dismember, but the high CMC of your things + the fact that you could use a finisher I think means something like SFM would be more valuable to your gameplan.

I've actually been thinking about revamping my list to run Standstill. Glad to see you're still working on it. I've got a link to mine in case you can find an idea there:
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...e-200-Solution
    Later!
    -Frogger
    Final Ritual: "I was your round 14 opponent with the 3 giant goyfs. I didn't know what the fuck you were piloting."
    Drunken Master strategy. If I don't know what I'm doing, how would you?

Thread Information