Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Insuring your Collection

Playing solidarity on MWS because I love to masturbate.
    Aug 2008
    Arkansas

Re: Insuring your Collection

Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    What company do you have it with? Is it separate?

-Matt
    I am insured with Collect Insure. It covers pretty much everything even Mail damage or loss. I wish I had it when my deck box was stolen a couple years back, but it is well worth the almost $1000 a year I pay considering my collection includes power and stuff. They made me send pics of anything worth more then $500 per card so its not going to be much work on your part other then a full inventory.

I inventoried only the stuff worth $20 or more and I have a $500 deductible. But with the deductible that's only a set of Underground Seas so it will readily replace most of my collection in case of theft or fire.

One thing if you have anything stolen you do have to file a full police report to submit a claim. I sold some cards to a player in Germany and they never maid it to the destination. I did not have insurance or international tracking, they refused to pay on it. If you do ship out of the country for any reason it has to be fedex, UPS, DHL, or USPS registered to be covered. They have to be able to find the package or at least prove it is missing.
    Join Team Short bus We have all the special People, We allow helmets at our tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Ertai's Familiar View Post
    Personally I ... find MWS to be as fun as running a cheese grater down my ballsack.

Hey Matt, have you gotten anywhere with this?

If not, do you have any recommendations on which company to go with for someone in Canada? I'm in Alberta.

Oct 2011
    Denmark

I have my collection insured for rough 17.000$ its not the value of my collection, but there was a significant price hike for the next level (roughly 50K)

Its a small premium to my normal homeowners insurance, so i pay IN TOTAL for both home+collection 780 dollars/year.

i have a deductable of 0. they pay everything, theft, water damage - but not mail.

I lost/had stolen a borrow deck a few years back, and I got paid il full, retail value on every single card+sleeves+deckbox. no hassle.

I live in europe, and dont know if this info is useless to you.

Big Fat Hard Kicks, Oh My God I Want That Shit!
    Apr 2011

Running some numbers from these guys:

https://quote.americancollectors.com/AcctMgmt/S/Quote/

Their minimum coverage price is 65 bucks a year. That gives you full coverage with ZERO deductable, and the preimum coverage (outside the home) for up to ~7k.

Seems like a good deal to me. That covers 2 decks at an event in the case of a bag getting stolen.

Buying cardboard >
    Jan 2011
    801,Utah

Quote Originally Posted by Technics View Post
    Running some numbers from these guys:

https://quote.americancollectors.com/AcctMgmt/S/Quote/

Their minimum coverage price is 65 bucks a year. That gives you full coverage with ZERO deductable, and the preimum coverage (outside the home) for up to ~7k.

Seems like a good deal to me. That covers 2 decks at an event in the case of a bag getting stolen.
    I'll definitely have to check them out.
    What it takes to be a pimp:
    1. Knowing the right people.
    2. Have the money
    Not one or the other, but both.

The fastest way to become a millionare is to start with a billion dollars, then start collecting magic cards, eh? - dry cereal

What is the best way to keep a list of your cards? Is there any program for it? My insurance company (small company in small european country) wants the full list and some photos from it.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by raudo View Post
    What is the best way to keep a list of your cards? Is there any program for it? My insurance company (small company in small european country) wants the full list and some photos from it.
    Pictures (16 cards per picture in alphabetical order) + Excell cardlist with links to MCM-prices should be enough. However this might only work for central parts of your collection which you don't have for sale/trade. Otherwise you might insure your collection for a total worth via "moveable values" paragraphs most insurance companies have to cover Post-stamps, Art and Co. I can give more details for german insurance companies if needed
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

That is just so huge task to write your cards to excel list.

Is there any program ready which lists all the relevant cards (like legacy staples price over 5€) and then you just write the amount of cards you have in some check boxs? Then save it in excel form? Thanks very much if someone knows such site.

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

Is there any program ready which lists all the relevant cards (like legacy staples price over 5€) and then you just write the amount of cards you have in some check boxs? Then save it in excel form? Thanks very much if someone knows such site.
    Cockatrice can be handy for that. If you put your collection in a deck and enable the Price feature, it will scrape values from blacklotusproject. Their numbers are lower than something like TCGPlayer, but it's easy to do.

Another option is to use TCGPlayer's Collection tool (http://store.tcgplayer.com/my/collection.aspx). That's what I use. It's starting to not be ideal for me though because I've been buying so many foreign cards.
    Languages and dates for every set. For all you true pimps.

Dec 2011
    Calgary, Alberta

mtgpeertrader.com does that and automatically updates the prices.

Thanks for the tips. I liked tcgplayer collection site most. It took under an hour to list the most expensive cards and print the list to excel.

Do you have a moment to talk about Primeval Titan?

May 2013
    Canada, eh

This thread just reminded me to get renter insurance and to get my cards included.

For people in Canada state farm has a sweet online tool.
    Last edited by barcode; 05-29-2013 at 03:07 PM. Reason: derp

Quote Originally Posted by mini1337s View Post
    mtgpeertrader.com does that and automatically updates the prices.
    Hi
    http://MTGPeerTrader.com creator here. If you wanted to use the site to track your collection you can easily enter any portion of your collection, sort by price, set, etc. You can also export portions of your collection to an Excel file with up to date prices for almost every Magic the Gathering card in existence for use with whatever insurance company you pick. (We do lack foreign card prices however atm).

You can also then see how your collection stacks up against others as part of the Collection Value Leader Boards LeaderBoards (or keep your collection value private). You will be able to see what cards are increasing and decreasing in price as part of the sortable options for your entered collection.

You can also use the site to Search other peoples Trade Collection for the cards you want to Trade for or Buy, or mark cards you want to let go as part of your Trade Collection (the cards you want to Trade or Sell) and let people come to you. On top of this there is a fully integrated rating system with Trade Ratings and Feedback as well as Shipping Options which can be used for negotiation.

The site has tons of features and while it is new it is under active development with new features constantly.

Check it out and feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Mark / Vesuvand

Aug 2008
    Arkansas

Quote Originally Posted by MTGPeerTrader View Post
    Hi
    http://MTGPeerTrader.com creator here. If you wanted to use the site to track your collection you can easily enter any portion of your collection, sort by price, set, etc. You can also export portions of your collection to an Excel file with up to date prices for almost every Magic the Gathering card in existence for use with whatever insurance company you pick. (We do lack foreign card prices however atm).

You can also then see how your collection stacks up against others as part of the Collection Value Leader Boards LeaderBoards (or keep your collection value private). You will be able to see what cards are increasing and decreasing in price as part of the sortable options for your entered collection.

You can also use the site to Search other peoples Trade Collection for the cards you want to Trade for or Buy, or mark cards you want to let go as part of your Trade Collection (the cards you want to Trade or Sell) and let people come to you. On top of this there is a fully integrated rating system with Trade Ratings and Feedback as well as Shipping Options which can be used for negotiation.

The site has tons of features and while it is new it is under active development with new features constantly.

Check it out and feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Mark / Vesuvand
    not a lot of people on there. I listed just my trade binder since that is all I ever take outside the house other then a deck or 2. when I was done it put me at #3 for trade collection :) I wish there was a way to jot down a note next to cards where you can put signed/altered/sealed deck stamp etc. Also you can not add crusade as a card it pops up an error.
    Join Team Short bus We have all the special People, We allow helmets at our tables.

Personally I ... find MWS to be as fun as running a cheese grater down my ballsack.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Fanatic View Post
    not a lot of people on there. I listed just my trade binder since that is all I ever take outside the house other then a deck or 2. when I was done it put me at #3 for trade collection :) I wish there was a way to jot down a note next to cards where you can put signed/altered/sealed deck stamp etc. Also you can not add crusade as a card it pops up an error.
    Yes, it literally just came out of the testing stage in our local community and I"m about to fully launch the site so it's just starting. Adding a "Note" option is on the list of development items so you should definitely see that in the near future. Please PM me about any technical issues on the site if you wish, as I had no trouble adding the card.

Thanks

Mark / Vesuvand

Aug 2008
    Arkansas

Quote Originally Posted by MTGPeerTrader View Post
    Yes, it literally just came out of the testing stage in our local community and I"m about to fully launch the site so it's just starting. Adding a "Note" option is on the list of development items so you should definitely see that in the near future. Please PM me about any technical issues on the site if you wish, as I had no trouble adding the card.

Thanks

Mark / Vesuvand
    This is all I get. I type the name and hit enter.

Hey, I see the problem, the "Crusade" name is too common to display, I'm going to have to change that around as you should be able to add that card. If you go to Show: All Cards and filter for Crusade you will see the all the cards containing "Crusade" in the Card Name.

Thanks for the heads up.

Hi!

Is there a way to import the card list from excel to your site?

Hi!

Is there a way to import the card list from excel to your site?
    It currently support importing of Deckbox.org collections, and the MTGPeerTrader.com site's formatted file. Send me a private message and I would be happy to have a look at your file for you if you want.

Jun 2009
    Minnesota

So I recently had to put a claim in for cards that were stolen and my insurance will help me cover the loss(due to home owners insurance) but they are depreciating my cards based on my purchase date. They used the tcgplayers median price and then depreciated that based on the number of years I've had the cards.

Have any of you dealt with this before? I'm waiting for all the specifics of the claim outcome but I assume I'm going to need to argue that these cards don't depreciate.

For the most part I'm happy they are giving me anything as I didn't have it scheduled but I also feel like I'm losing out due to this.

Thread Information