Thread: [Article]Eternal Europe: Diamonds in the Rough

[Article]Eternal Europe: Diamonds in the Rough

Wanna see some of the more innovative decks seeing play right now? Check it out:

http://www.starcitygames.com/article...The-Rough.html
    I don't have low self-esteem, I have low esteem for everyone else. -Daria

Proud member of Team CAB
    High Priest of the Church of BLA

CAB JaceTM

My articles

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Re: [Article]Eternal Europe: Diamonds in the Rough

Thanks for writing Carsten!
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

(previously Metalwalker)
    Mar 2008
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Mon,Goblin Chief View Post
    Wanna see some of the more innovative decks seeing play right now? Check it out:

http://www.starcitygames.com/article...The-Rough.html
    That Crackanimator list is pretty awesome. Although aside from Entombs, how can you consistently get Griselbrand out? It seems that the consistency bottleneck is having Griselbrands stuck early in your hand and not having access to 'entomb'-like spells outside of 4 entombs.

I see your soft spot for "Dreadstalker" (StifleNought) in the article :P I really liked the way the deck worked although I feel that to be relevant in the metagame of abrupt decays, you would need to include more copies of Vision Charm. Abrupt Decay means that you are almost always guaranteed to lose your Dreadnought unless you lead the setup with discard. Vision Charm has always been an amazing card in the deck (still being relevant against Batterskull but its main application is completely trolling opponent removal for a cheap U. In addition Dreadnought + Vision Charm allows Dreadnought to be out of play and return back with 'haste', allowing you to tap out on turn 2 without fear of Liliana/removal since the Nought is no longer there until you untap with a hand of protection).
    Decks that I care about:
    Steel Stompy
    UWx Landstill
    Dreadstalker
    DDFT (10% practice)

Mangara on MWS? You must be masochistic. -kiblast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    REB is a fantastic sideboard card against blue... in blue decks :/

Site Contributor

Feb 2011
    Sheffield

Quote Originally Posted by GGoober View Post
    That Crackanimator list is pretty awesome. Although aside from Entombs, how can you consistently get Griselbrand out? It seems that the consistency bottleneck is having Griselbrands stuck early in your hand and not having access to 'entomb'-like spells outside of 4 entombs.
    From library its Entomb & Intuition. From hand you have Brainstrom, Thoughtseize, and Therapy. Draw, pass, discard also works fine.

Aug 2011
    Italy

Good article. Although I'm having a hard time believing Stiflenought to be a real contender in an environment where everyone and their mums are running handfuls of Swords to Plowshares and Abrupt Decays.

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

Commented on SCG as well, but thought I'd also post here and say thanks for the article. I really like the way you break down data points, and then draw conclusions from them. And of course, your mono-white aggro deck looks awesome with blind obedience and meekstone. :)

And thanks for the shoutout as well!

For those in the thread asking about how Tin Fins works (or Crackanimator) - Carsten linked to the thread in his article, but you can check out the development thread here:

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...he-Onion-Burst

Having Griselbrand in your hand isn't a problem - you can Therapy or Thoughtseize yourself to pitch it. Or Careful study if you're running it. The deck runs a ridiculous amount of reanimation spells, so drawing into one of those with Brainstorms, Ponders, Studies really isn't hard.
    Find me on Twitter: @beanaman

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    His graveyard was a fucking encyclopedia of countermagic.

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

Quote Originally Posted by alastair View Post
    From library its Entomb & Intuition. From hand you have Brainstrom, Thoughtseize, and Therapy. Draw, pass, discard also works fine.
    Also, 4 Rituals, 4 Petals, 2 Mox could help.

Very nice read, as always.
    Super Bizarros Team. Beating everything with small green dudes and big waves.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Great read, and the Vial White Weenie deck was interesting. I agree that Thalia NEEDS to be maindeck, and I also think that the deck could go even further in the tax direction with Thorn of Amethyst in the sideboard. It's so heavy with creatures that it would be smart to double up on taxes (Thalia, Thorn) against combo decks. Turn 1 Vial, turn 2 Thorn, then use Vial to advance beats while sitting on Wasteland killing their non-basics. Playing 8 Functional Thalias against combo seems pretty good. Oh yeah, and don't forget about Ethersworn Canonist!!!

I've been talking up Aven Mindcensor with folks lately, mostly for Modern, but I can see how it would be such a nice boost in Maverick or Bant. I'd love to play NO-Pro Bant, but I don't have the blue duals to make it work. I do however plan on using NO-Pro in my Junk sideboard. It feels like a good time to play a little more unfair, and also dodge those Abrupt Decays.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Nice article, as usual.

I was thinking Dreadnought and Bant were good choices right now. However, do you agree on the maindecks of the lists you posted, or would you go a different direction?

Feb 2013
    Chicago

Thanks for the highlighting my Dreadnought list, but it really works a lot better when no one expects it!

@bilb_o: It's true, removal is a weakness it shares with other decks that play creatures, however, it does have ways to combat it. Honestly, it's not for all metas, but here in the Midwest it's pretty decent.
    Last edited by Seiklos; 02-26-2013 at 08:58 AM.

Thread Information