Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [EDH] The Mimeoplasm

Feb 2013
    Warsaw, Ny

Re: [EDH] The Mimeoplasm

Leovold is a hot bug hatebear (hate centaur? Power/toughness). I want it to drop in price a little before I get one. On principal I can pick one up for $8 but outside that mark, it will need to prove itself with its being 3 very specific mana symbols. :). I am working on a broken hermit druid deck atm. Tasigur is my commander for a two headed giant event coming up. My win con is spot removal: loopin Reality Shift/Beast Within. I would share my list but it seems you have taking a step back from the brokeness and slowed yourbdeck just enough so other players can actually enjoy a game with you and vice versa. Which is fine, I get that. I too pull some punches with other players by not playing the most degenerate decks I own when I play at non-events. I can recommend a card that can improve your deck without being ruthlessly aggressive, however. Eldritch Evolution. Yes it's a tutor, but it's also a restricted tutor. With your play style it can help you find your new 3/3 or tarmogoyf. If you want to go less ruthless and more fun for everyone you can bring in a veteran explorer since you have some basics. Just some thoughts. I also like the idea of Prognostic Sphinx in my list, you may like it in your list it as well since it's a useful discard outlet.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by lost_ronin_soul View Post
    Tasigur is my commander for a two headed giant event coming up.
    Tasigur is really strong and is mostly why I feel Prophet of Kruphix had to be banned. Those two cards together is stupid-good.

Quote Originally Posted by lost_ronin_soul View Post
    I can recommend a card that can improve your deck without being ruthlessly aggressive, however. Eldritch Evolution. Yes it's a tutor, but it's also a restricted tutor. With your play style it can help you find your new 3/3 or tarmogoyf. If you want to go less ruthless and more fun for everyone you can bring in a veteran explorer since you have some basics. Just some thoughts. I also like the idea of Prognostic Sphinx in my list, you may like it in your list it as well since it's a useful discard outlet.
    Eldritch Evolution is a legit card, but at sorcery speed I probably wouldn't want it... It'd be great to use on a creature that was going to die anyway, but all of the early guys are guys I want around. And my selection of 5CMC creatures aren't really that tremendous to tutor for.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

I've been tinkering with a Mimeoplasm list of my own since I scored a decent deal on an Arsenal foil copy, and I came here for inspiration.

I was wondering what your thoughts on Ancient Excavation are since I don't see it in your list. It seems like the sort of thing you want to be doing.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Davran View Post
    I was wondering what your thoughts on Ancient Excavation are since I don't see it in your list. It seems like the sort of thing you want to be doing.
    Nice! It's a fun General in the perfect color combination for what it does, and can be built in a number of ways.

Ancient Excavation definitely falls into the category of 'things Mimeoplasm wants to be doing'. Only thing I can say against it is I don't feel it's better than the 7 cards I currently have in the 'Loot/Discard' category. Certainly nothing wrong with the card though! I'd probably have given it more consideration if it was Cycling instead of Basic Landcycling .

Have you decided on the direction you want the deck to go in?
    I've opted for a voltron-esque Reanimator but you could just as easily make it:
    • BUG Control with Mimeoplasm as a finisher
    • Group mill where most of the time Mimeoplasm copies opponent's creatures
    • Graveyard combo with Necrotic Ooze-ish win conditions

Some cards you'll probably want regardless of direction:
    And here's some I've had a lot of fun getting to use:

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Have you decided on the direction you want the deck to go in?
    I'm leaning toward a sort of hybrid control/group mill style deck where Mimeoplasm is used as a mish-mash of what's best from the graveyards. I want to try and leverage stuff like Extract from Darkness and maybe Windfall type effects to make some weird combinations of things rather than Entombing something from my own deck to make the best Ooze possible. I've got a similar deck right now with Tasigur at the helm, but I want to get away from the whole opponent's choice aspect of things.

I'm not as keen on the "combo" plan where Intuition/Buried Alive drops a couple of solid fatties in your yard and winning becomes trivial.

Lord of Extinction is definitely on my list of includes, and I'm also thinking about stuff like Torrent Elemental as a reusable means to grant evasion. I haven't really settled on the other creatures yet, though.

I also plan on a light Loam package, but I think that'll probably be my only dredger. I really don't want to completely fold to graveyard hate if I can help it. Instead, I'm probably going to go with stuff like Grisly Salvage and Forbidden Alchemy.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Well... Leo got banned, so even though I was using him fairly I've got to find a replacement.

I've already made the following change:

- Leovold, Emissary of Trest
    + Nissa, Steward of Elements

I intend to make these additional changes, once I free up the funds to do so:

- Kiora, Master of the Depths
    - The Gitrog Monster
    - Snow-Covered Island

+ Fetid Pools
    + Liliana, the Last Hope
    + Walking Ballista

Upping the Planeswalker count by 1 helps me grow Tarmogoyf and Grim Flayer more easily.
    Walking Ballista is Triskelion #2. Now they just need to print a functionally similar Lord of Extinction.
    I've been wanting to cut a basic land to make Hermit Druid better, so I'm going to try out the new Cycle-Dual. CITP tapped sucks, but may not matter in most games. I guess I'll find out.

I want to cut Necromancy, City of Brass, and Mana Confluence but I'm not in any rush. WotC is slow to print really good lands. I think I want Necromancy to become another hexproof monster.

*EDIT*

Picked up Fetid Pools and Walking Ballista. I ended up keeping Gitrog for now and instead replaced Necromancy. I still intend to replace Gitrog with a 'to-be-printed' hexproof monster.

Before Modern FNM last Friday I was discussing EDH with a guy who described his Sharuum deck as 100% competitive. I said this deck was probably about 75% competitive, but I'd be interested in trying a few 1v1 games. He won the die roll and started with a proxied Imperial Seal. He ended up winning after having *just* enough mana (after I Wastelanded his Ancient Tomb) to loop Sharuums with Sculpting Steel while having Altar of the Brood in play.
    The next game I stuck a turn-2 Hermit Druid and filled my yard enough to get the monsters I needed even after revealing only a basic land off the top for one of the activations. I baited his countermagic with a Crop Rotation (which would have gotten a Cavern of Souls anyway), then cast Mimeoplasm as a Gaea's Revenge with twelve +1/+1 counters from Multani, Maro-Sorcerer. He was at 20 life due to Necropotence, so my attack was for exactsies.

Then it was time for Modern.

*EDIT AGAIN*

Okay! The list is up-to-date. Picked up Liliana, the Last Hope and replaced Kiora.
    Last edited by Ace/Homebrew; 06-09-2017 at 08:51 AM.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

It's no Lord of Extinction, but Apocalypse Demon from Hour of Devastation will basically serve the same purpose! Thank you WotC.

- The Gitrog Monster
    + Apocalypse Demon

The stolen rare sheet from Ixalan also revealed an upgrade to Plated Crusher. Add 'Uncounterable' and remove a from it's cost and we have Carnage Tyrant!
    Of course we have a little while before this swap is possible, seeing how Hour of Destruction hasn't been released yet...

After adding Apocalypse Demon, I think this deck will be at a point where I will only be swapping out cards when a functionally similar, but improved, version is printed (like with Carnage Tyrant and Plated Crusher).

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Have you given any thought to Search for Azcanta at all? The back half is kinda garbage, but the front half seems like the kind of thing a deck like this one would want.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Have you given any thought to Search for Azcanta at all? The back half is kinda garbage, but the front half seems like the kind of thing a deck like this one would want.
    My first time through the set, I dismissed it... but subsequent reviews have really got me considering it.

The front half is absolutely where this deck wants to be. And the transform trigger being a 'may' is a big one in the +plus+ column. Being an enchantment in the graveyard is another +plus+.
    The back half isn't nothing either... Putting cards on the bottom isn't ideal for this deck, but a third of the deck is non-creature/non-land and those are generally the cards I'd rather have in my hand than in the graveyard. And card advantage is card advantage.

I can't try to count it as a land though... I'm at 38, but essentially 37 because of Bazaar. On top of that 8 of the lands come into play tapped or are sick (Dryad Arbor). The mana base is greedy as it gets, but is surprisingly reliable. Cutting a land would be a mistake.

I'm hesitant to cut any creatures or planeswalkers (even though I don't think Nissa is quite working out...). Cutting a non-creature/non-land feels bad because I'm just losing another target for the activated ability, but looking through the list I'd say this card directly competes with Sylvan Library. What do you think?

May 2011
    Albany, NY

I can't try to count it as a land though... I'm at 38, but essentially 37 because of Bazaar. On top of that 8 of the lands come into play tapped or are sick (Dryad Arbor). The mana base is greedy as it gets, but is surprisingly reliable. Cutting a land would be a mistake.

I'm hesitant to cut any creatures or planeswalkers (even though I don't think Nissa is quite working out...). Cutting a non-creature/non-land feels bad because I'm just losing another target for the activated ability, but looking through the list I'd say this card directly competes with Sylvan Library. What do you think?
    I don't think I'd count it as a land either, since you're probably going to keep it on the front half long enough to stick a hard to answer Mimeoplasm, and at that point you likely have the lands you need already anyway.

It seems sacrilegious to cut Library, but maybe that is the choice? Search "draws" you two cards a turn if you want to dump whatever is on top into your yard. There's a non-zero number of times it'll basically be a free discard outlet, which has to be good for you. It also lets you dig deeper if whatever is on top is bad given the current boardstate. Library is certainly more powerful on its own, though.

Maybe Nissa is the cut if she isn't working out? It makes Goyf/Flayer a little worse, but overall the deck might be a little better off?

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Maybe Nissa is the cut if she isn't working out? It makes Goyf/Flayer a little worse, but overall the deck might be a little better off?
    I would agree Nissa is the worst card in the deck, and I only have two Tribal cards for Goyf/Flayer and it seems fine...
    It is impossible to deny the raw power of Library, especially when starting with 40 life. When you're right, you're right!

Dec 2016
    Littleton, Colorado

If you are just using the front half of search isn't Sultai Ascendancy just better?

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Kion View Post
    If you are just using the front half of search isn't Sultai Ascendancy just better?
    Arguably, yes.
    The mana cost is more restrictive but it does double.

But I wouldn't consider Search for Azcanta if it didn't have the back half. That side is where all the actual card advantage exists.
    I had mentioned how nice it is that it doesn't force a transform because sometimes Jace, Vryn's Prodigy is more helpful as a looter and fragile as an undefended planeswalker. It's easy to get 5 cards in the yard to flip him, but sometimes those 5 cards are lousy flashback targets...

Dec 2016
    Littleton, Colorado

Arguably, yes.
    The mana cost is more restrictive but it does double.

But I wouldn't consider Search for Azcanta if it didn't have the back half. That side is where all the actual card advantage exists.
    I had mentioned how nice it is that it doesn't force a transform because sometimes Jace, Vryn's Prodigy is more helpful as a looter and fragile as an undefended planeswalker. It's easy to get 5 cards in the yard to flip him, but sometimes those 5 cards are lousy flashback targets...
    I agree. I play a multi fun, but still pretty loaded, version of mimeo and I'm replacing my Sultai Ascendancy with Search to see how well it does. I really like the idea of filling the gy a bit and then flipping right away to dig for engine cards.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Finally picked up Carnage Tyrant after it dropped to a somewhat reasonable price. List in OP is up-to-date!

I put Search for Azcanta in the deck shortly after Davran suggested it, but it always ended up in my graveyard (directly from my library) so I hadn't really had a chance to evaluate it. That changed last night! It was in my opener and on the board turn 2. It dropped a card into my graveyard pretty much each turn, but I didn't flip it as soon as I could because I needed to grow my yard. Having the option to flip is definitely a strength. I did flip it eventually, but more for the boost in mana. I never actually activated the ability due to complications on the board.*

The biggest bonus this deck received recently are the redundancies to Lord of Extinction and Triskelion in Apocalypse Demon and Walking Ballista. Having the option to assemble early before I can make it big enough to win allows me to control the creatures on the battlefield. Or I can take out the immediate threat and reassemble later.

*The needed to activate Azcanta, the Sunken Ruin would have to be generated from a Hall of the Bandit Lord and/or a Verdant Catacombs, but one of my opponents had Ob Nixilis, Unshackled on the field.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Nothing really appealing for this deck from the last few sets WotC put out there. Muldrotha, the Gravetide is a bad ass card, but is better at the helm than as 1 of 99... And Battlebond was stuffed with EDH cards, but nothing I want for this deck.

Not sure how I missed this card before, but I recently learned Compulsion exists. So...

- Thassa, God of the Sea
    + Compulsion

I picked up a copy at the end of EDH night, so of course Thassa decided to be responsible for winning a game immediately after I mentally committed to replacing her. She made my arbitrarily large creatures unblockable. Despite that single instance of her being good, I think this is a positive change.

Felt good to pretty much ignore a turn 2 Grafdigger's Cage in a game last night. Intuition, Vengeful Pharoah, Life from the Loam, Living Death, and The Mimeoplasm all did what they needed to do. Good times.

Edit: Also replaced Wasteland with Strip Mine
    Last edited by Ace/Homebrew; 06-26-2018 at 10:00 AM.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Ended up opening Muldrotha, the Gravetide in a pack I got from an SCG EDH pod. So I'm trying her out in Simic Sky Swallower's spot.

I'm thinking Nexus of Fate is a good addition for this deck. I don't want to spend $40 on one... but eventually I'll get around to finding a copy. Seems like a good fit for me. I have accidentally/carelessly milled most of my deck in the past and lost from trying to draw from an empty deck. With at least 7 mana and an empty library, Nexus would instead result in infinite turns.

I like this better than something like Laboratory Maniac, which is usually a groan-inducing win condition. I'll likely cut Thirst For Knowledge.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

I'm thinking Nexus of Fate is a good addition for this deck. I don't want to spend $40 on one... but eventually I'll get around to finding a copy. Seems like a good fit for me. I have accidentally/carelessly milled most of my deck in the past and lost from trying to draw from an empty deck. With at least 7 mana and an empty library, Nexus would instead result in infinite turns.

I like this better than something like Laboratory Maniac, which is usually a groan-inducing win condition. I'll likely cut Thirst For Knowledge.
    I think you're supposed to whine about how WotC printed a standard playable card as a promo or something...or at least that's what's been all over reddit these past few days.

Sarcasm aside, I agree that Nexus is more interesting than Lab Man, but Lab Man is certainly quicker in terms of actually winning. Nexus is better as a random draw before your deck is empty, though.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Of course Davran is right.

How stupid is WotC for making a Standard-playable card accessible only by being one of the first few people to buy a box from a store?!?!?
    Pretty stupid.

It's also a pain in the ass that the card is foil-only.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Picked up a copy of Nexus for $25. Got a few games in last night and I'm already happy with the card. I never actually cast it, but it allowed me to get maximum value out of my graveyard to get Triskelion large enough to kill all of my opponents.
    I'm considering cutting the Snow-Covered Forest because I struggled to remove all the basics from my deck and had to use a Demonic Tutor to find the last one before activating Hermit Druid.

On the other hand, Muldrotha ate a Swords to Plowshares. Reminds me why all my monsters have shroud or hexproof... I'm going to continue testing out Muldrotha for now.

WotC announced the set mechanics for the newest Ravnica block and it looks like some graveyard mechanics snuck their way in! So I need to start thinking about what cards can be cut for any new cards that seem more powerful.

Potential Cut List:
    - Raven's Crime
    - Life // Death
    - Buried Alive

-----------------------------------------------------------

Edit: A few cards from GRN have been spoiled, but nothing that would fit in this deck. They do give some ideas about the mechanics though.

I believe the strongest GRN card for this deck will have Jump-Start. And since that is an Izzet mechanic, that means the card has to be mono-blue.
    Undergrowth has the next best potential. Meanwhile I believe Surveil will be underwhelming, unless it gets printed on an enchantment or something that allows it to be done repeatedly (or they allow Surveil N).

Lastly, I'm having doubts about the strength of Search for Azcanta in this deck... Just because this deck makes it easy to transform it into Azcanta, the Sunken Ruin doesn't mean it fits. I almost always want to be spending 4 mana in other ways. I'm toying with the idea of throwing it into Cromat over Sylvan Library. It'll be harder to flip, but the payoff is waaaay better. Plus it'll cut down on card overlap between decks.
    Last edited by Ace/Homebrew; 09-04-2018 at 08:40 AM.

Thread Information