Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Oozing

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

Re: Oozing

Quote Originally Posted by BoiledDenim View Post
    If I shallow grave a Griselrand, and then 2nd main sac Griselbrand to flashback Cabal Therapy, does the Griselbrand still get exiled?
    http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Ca...=shallow+grave

Site Contributor
    Sep 2009
    London, UK

If I shallow grave a Griselrand, and then 2nd main sac Griselbrand to flashback Cabal Therapy, does the Griselbrand still get exiled?
    It doesn't get exiled, it is a pretty legitimate play that is used very often when you fish for 7 cards and sculpt your hand (and destroy the opponent's one :) ) for the following turn.

Site Contributor
    Sep 2009
    London, UK

I like this deck! I ordered all the cards for it, and have about 95% already in hand. I proxied the rest and started goldfishing. This deck seems super fast and somewhat resilient. I like it! I'm typically a goblins player but I like the idea of playing brainstorm in legacy. I didn't want to play another delver deck so this deck seems sweet! Thanks for all the work and tournament reports you have posted with this deck! I can't wait till tomorrow when I have all the cards and everyone at the LGS has their sideboard set up to beat Goblins (I have won 2 of the last 3 weeks and came in second the other week). This seems like a great meta game swap once all the sideboards have been adjusted to beat Goblins and Nic Fit (last weeks winner). I like having a somewhat unknown combo deck to audible into. This deck seems super good. I am not expecting great results since it will be my first outing with it (assuming everything arrives on time). Lim-Dul's Vault seems really good here.
    How did your tournament go? We are curious :)

I am still waiting on a few cards to arrive so I was not able to play it in the tourney. That being said, I did proxy what was missing and so some test games against my nemesis (he plays Nic Shift and owns my Goblins every week he shows up, otherwise I typically win), I also played against manaless dredge. I won 5 out 5 games against Nic Shift (no post board games, all "game 1's). He did profess that his deck was weak to combo and strong against fair decks. I agreed, having been on both sides of it. Against dredge I was either able to combo out, or hit him with a G. Brand and flashback cabal therapy killing his Bridges. Next turn, Shallow Grave, Rinse, and Repeat. Donzo. Deck seems good! I like it. The only card I don't like is Reanimate. I am considering taking out the reanimate since it is very bad with our sideboard ground seal. I am playing chrome mox so I am considering taking out reanimate for a tropical island. I did a lot of mulliganing (and still got there!) so it seems an extra land might be usefull. Turn 1 Brainstorm with a fetch in hand to shuffle with is really good (or a ponder/entomb). I liked the way it played. I am an aggro player at heart so it was weird playing a combo deck. As it is I placed 3rd out of 8. I had to play Nic Shift in round 2 instead of round 3 so I didnt get 2nd which is usually the case. We usually have between 8 and 16 players show for Legacy night.

Site Contributor
    Sep 2009
    London, UK

I am still waiting on a few cards to arrive so I was not able to play it in the tourney. That being said, I did proxy what was missing and so some test games against my nemesis (he plays Nic Shift and owns my Goblins every week he shows up, otherwise I typically win), I also played against manaless dredge. I won 5 out 5 games against Nic Shift (no post board games, all "game 1's). He did profess that his deck was weak to combo and strong against fair decks. I agreed, having been on both sides of it. Against dredge I was either able to combo out, or hit him with a G. Brand and flashback cabal therapy killing his Bridges. Next turn, Shallow Grave, Rinse, and Repeat. Donzo. Deck seems good! I like it. The only card I don't like is Reanimate. I am considering taking out the reanimate since it is very bad with our sideboard ground seal. I am playing chrome mox so I am considering taking out reanimate for a tropical island. I did a lot of mulliganing (and still got there!) so it seems an extra land might be usefull. Turn 1 Brainstorm with a fetch in hand to shuffle with is really good (or a ponder/entomb). I liked the way it played. I am an aggro player at heart so it was weird playing a combo deck. As it is I placed 3rd out of 8. I had to play Nic Shift in round 2 instead of round 3 so I didnt get 2nd which is usually the case. We usually have between 8 and 16 players show for Legacy night.
    Well done :)

If you look at my SB you'll notice the presence of an exhume to replace the reanimate post board for the reasons you indicated. Bear in mind that if you go to light in reanimation spells you may easily loose games to variance.

You also have a pretty strong "aggro" route with Griselbrand or a Ooze covered by an entomb.

Thanks for the feedback, tho. It's always very useful to get other views on the deck.

I am actually considering running Animate Dead or Goryo's Vengeance instead of Reanimate main deck. It seems that when you are stuck with a G. Brand in the yard and only Reanimate in hand you are scrwed. The mana it seems is less than an issue. The life is the issue. There have been several games where I had only a reanimate to get back a G. Brand where any other spell would have been better (life loss is equall to -7 cards!). I think we can produce enough mana with the petals and dark rits and actual land to run an aditional 2 mana spell. Also, opposing cabal therapys are never in 100 years going to name Goryo's Vengeance right off the bat. Reanimate hits Necrotic Ooze, but thats about it. reanimate on G. Brand is a huge tempo loss for us. Since they only viable creature for us to reanimate is Ooze, I am going to try Goryo's Vengeance out in that slot. I just think that out best option is always to bring a G.Brand in and attempt to combo out. If we don't have the God Hand that allows us to buried Alive the holy trinity into a Shallow Grave/Exhume then we are almost certainly going to bring in G. Brand and go for the cards to just "get there". With that line of play in mind, I think Goryo's Vengeance or Animate Dead is better. Animate dead suffers from almost the same issue as reanimate in that we only gain 6 life on the swing and need 7 to draw cars. I think the vengeance is better at allowing us to draw the cards we need to combo off. I'm gonna test it. Ordering a Vengeance today, hopefully here in time for next weeks tourney.

Been doing a lot of goldfishing with this deck and and Goryo's Vengeance seems fine for me. The mana cost has not been a problem (the optimal play for this deck is a 2cmc reanimation spell anyway).
    For the life of me Ponder feels really clunky and usually just "left over" in my hand. Attacking with a G. Brand is super fun, as is drawing cards. Would this deck be more resilient without the combo? I like leaving in the Necrotic Ooze as a way to draw 7 with no shallow grave in hand but G.Brand in the yard. The strongest aspect of this deck, imho, is getting a fast G.Brand into play and ripping apart our opponents hand with discard effects before they can do anything about it. I'm gonna try to build on that theme and test out an alternate package with taking out some number (all?) of Ponders, Triskelion, and Devourer. Possibly adding in Carefull Study, and the full 4 Cabal Therapy, with as many Thoughtseize as I can find slots for. Giving up the combo seems counterproductive, I know. I just like how strong the reanimate/G.Brand/discard package has been performing and I want to try and expand on that strength and see what happens.

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Snip. Already answered.

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009

I am actually considering running Animate Dead or Goryo's Vengeance instead of Reanimate main deck. It seems that when you are stuck with a G. Brand in the yard and only Reanimate in hand you are scrwed. The mana it seems is less than an issue. The life is the issue. There have been several games where I had only a reanimate to get back a G. Brand where any other spell would have been better (life loss is equall to -7 cards!). I think we can produce enough mana with the petals and dark rits and actual land to run an aditional 2 mana spell. Also, opposing cabal therapys are never in 100 years going to name Goryo's Vengeance right off the bat. Reanimate hits Necrotic Ooze, but thats about it. reanimate on G. Brand is a huge tempo loss for us. Since they only viable creature for us to reanimate is Ooze, I am going to try Goryo's Vengeance out in that slot. I just think that out best option is always to bring a G.Brand in and attempt to combo out. If we don't have the God Hand that allows us to buried Alive the holy trinity into a Shallow Grave/Exhume then we are almost certainly going to bring in G. Brand and go for the cards to just "get there". With that line of play in mind, I think Goryo's Vengeance or Animate Dead is better. Animate dead suffers from almost the same issue as reanimate in that we only gain 6 life on the swing and need 7 to draw cars. I think the vengeance is better at allowing us to draw the cards we need to combo off. I'm gonna test it. Ordering a Vengeance today, hopefully here in time for next weeks tourney.
    Personally, I don't run Animate Dead because I don't want to give anyone incentive to leave their Abrupt Decays in for the second game. If they see you're on Animate Dead they may do that. For me, it's important that there are no viable AD targets in Game 1, because that encourages BUG and Jund players to side out their ADs for Surgical Extractions and leaves them cold to my playset of Ground Seals from the sideboard. That usually leaves them with only one Tormod's Crypt/Nihil Spellbomb/Relic of Progenitus as an out (because Grafdigger's Cage doesn't work particularly well against this deck).

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Raystar View Post
    Awesome tournament report from Raystar
    Far out I want my Ooze deck back... :(

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009

By the way, this is the list I took to BoM:

Mainboard (61)

2 Swamp
    1 Island
    3 Underground Sea
    2 Bayou
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Marsh Flats
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Dark Ritual
    1 Chrome Mox

3 Necrotic Ooze
    2 Griselbrand
    1 Phyrexian Devourer
    1 Triskelion
    1 Putrid Imp

4 Entomb
    3 Buried Alive

4 Shallow Grave
    2 Exhume
    1 Reanimate

4 Brainstorm
    3 Ponder
    1 Lim-Dul's Vault

3 Cabal Therapy
    2 Gitaxian Probe
    2 Thoughtseize

Sideboard (15)

4 Ground Seal
    3 Abrupt Decay
    2 Reverent Silence
    2 Thoughtseize
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Massacre

I went 4-5 drop, and all of the above got stolen. But far out, BoM is mega fun. I drew pretty big crowds wondering what the hell I was doing getting Ooze, Trisk, and Devourer with Buried Alive in Legacy.

Played at the local game store tourney with this deck yesterday. Went 0-1-1 though I should have won the draw. I made a big play mistake that cost me the game. I'm ashamed, but I Entomb/Shallow Graved in a G.Brand to block a batterskull (I was at 7 life). I would have gotten away with to if it weren't for his meddling 3 open mana that he used to bounce Batterskull, gaining me no life, exiling G.Brand, and me no more cards in hand.
    Game 3 I would have won but it went to time and turns and I couldn't beat him down with an Ooze and Triskelion in time. I conceded and game him the win because he looked like he needed it.
    The first match of the night I lost to so much hate. I combo'd off on turn 2 of game 1. Game 2 I mulligan down to 4 cards just to have a playable hand. I Thoughtseize him and he Brainstorms, presumably hiding a FoW on top of his deck. 2 turns later I get a Brainstorm and draw into Entomb/Shallow Grave. I Entomb/Shallow Grave and he Surgical Extractions me. Game over. Game 3 I lost to a turn 4 Humility (sided in Ground Seal and Cabal Therapy 4). Pretty disappointing.
    On a side note, Goryo's Vengeance was awesome. I got to use it twice to put a G.Brand into play. Not a single time I had it in my hand did I wish it was a Reanimate. Give it a try!

Quote Originally Posted by pandaman View Post
    I went 4-5 drop, and all of the above got stolen.
    Did I read that correctly? Your deck got stolen??! How mean is that... . And how did that happen? Are you rebuilding?

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Rxfisl View Post
    Did I read that correctly? Your deck got stolen??! How mean is that... . And how did that happen? Are you rebuilding?
    You did read correctly. I haven't rebuilt yet, I'm still a little sad...

You did read correctly. I haven't rebuilt yet, I'm still a little sad...
    Man that sucks :(
    Hope you get back in business soon!

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009

I'm thinking of borrowing the cards for tomorrow's monthly Legacy. Make it three Top 8s with Oozing from three attempts!

I'm thinking of borrowing the cards for tomorrow's monthly Legacy. Make it three Top 8s with Oozing from three attempts!
    Looking forward to your report - good luck!

Site Contributor
    Sep 2009
    London, UK

Go Go Go Panda!!

A bit absent because I'm moving to London, but I'll be back on the scene soon :)

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009

Ended up playing OmniTell to Top 4. Oozing would have got there too, though, 'cause, well, it's Oozing!

Site Contributor
    Sep 2009
    London, UK

Bringing Oozing to his first appearance in London tonight!!

I haven't played a tournament in months...the move, the job change...I'm so excited that I'm sure I'll make a mess :)

I'll let you know how it goes...

Thread Information