Thread: Petition to restore Cockatrice server

Legacy Staple
    May 2008
    Citizen of the world.

Petition to restore Cockatrice server

So, I don't know if you guys have already heard about it (or if there's another topic open for this, haven't seen it), but the main Cockatrice server was shut down because of legal disputes with Hasbro about copyright infringement.
    Since the software was a very useful tool for us all to playtest online decks for free before buying cards (and I suspect this also was the main point of the problem), I'd suggest you to visit https://www.change.org/petitions/has...ckatrice#share to sign in for Cockatrice to be restored; maybe it could change the turning of things, in a way or the other.

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastorofmuppets View Post
    you just want us to do that because of your Silences, you sly dog.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Avatar of kicks_422's creation and property

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Re: Petition to restore Cockatrice server

Playing the role of Devil's Advocate:
    How would restoration of the Cockatrice server not continue to violate copyright law with regards to effectively copying the full card art and frame directly into the client and at real time?
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Playing solidarity on MWS because I love to masturbate.
    Aug 2008
    Arkansas

There is no way for them to allow this legally. Cockatrice was in violation of federal law...period. This is wizards trademark, copyright as well as intellectual property that was being used to pretty much counterfeit digital cards. I could see an argument possible if they did not have their own digital product. If you start allowing a dilution of your product via programs such as cockatrice, then it weakens your product as well as the status of their trademark and copyrights.

Sure I love to playtest before I take a leap and buy new cards. I do this via the use of a nice color printer, sticker photo paper and land cards. My group has a playtest binder with playsets of most high dollar staples to test new ideas with, we do this before going out of pocket a few hundred in cards for a deck that may not work in our meta. To be honest we do not view what we do as legal, but we do see it as necessary to continue to be able to playtest and keep our out of pocket cost down by not buying cards that will not be used.
    Join Team Short bus We have all the special People, We allow helmets at our tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Ertai's Familiar View Post
    Personally I ... find MWS to be as fun as running a cheese grater down my ballsack.

Just use MWS. EZ game.
    Team Hadley: OG Member Bitches
    I pray to Tom Brady.
    Red Sox 04 & 07: YEA

Nov 2007
    Finland

Since I use neither I have to ask: what makes Cockatrice illegal but not MWS?
    Some of my friends sell records,
    some of my friends sell drugs.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Hopo View Post
    Since I use neither I have to ask: what makes Cockatrice illegal but not MWS?
    Leeching card art from Wizards.com to load into the program.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Перетягивание
    Feb 2012
    Canberra, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Some possible reasons ...

It's positioned as a virtual table top pretty well in it's documentation and supports multiple CCGs
    It's tabletop engine is peer to peer and thus doesn't have a central server to 'shut down' (it can be run through a 3rd party server process as well for those cut off from firewalls and whatnot)
    From the Cockatrice thread

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

What's preventing us to go back to MWS again? Sure, it's worse, but it works.

And why can't a server be set up in a country where the Magic copyright can't be infringed?

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Has an online petition ever done anything productive? Besides "raise awareness". Serious question.

I'm surprised Cockatrice lasted as long as it did. That shit pretty much obviated the need to buy real Magical Cards for a lot of people, was widely discussed on the internet, and took potential earnings away from Wizards.

Still is a bitch to lose it, however. It beats the godawful p.o.s. that is Magic Online as far as interface goes (and I still hate MO for being some absolutely idiotic 90's style internet business and that it could never go to a sensible expansion/subscription model over the "virtual property" because so many people are too tied up in it).

Welp, my interest in Children's Card Games has been getting hammered by Wizards as of late. RtR and Gatecrash being kind of shitty, the Seething Song ban, and now this. Still can't even manage to trade together my EDH deck ideas either. Bummer, man, bummer.

I wonder if someone savvy in Linux would be able to set up a third party server.

I'm not sure that pulling card art from gatherer is the best argument for this shutdown. Anyone can do that with http requests like so:

I actually posted about this on facebook, to quote my post from there.

So hasbro shut down cockatrice claiming 'copyright violations' with a C&D. Found this little tid-bit while looking through some copyright law; "A fair dealing with a literary, dramatic, musical or artistic work, or with an adaptation of a literary, dramatic or musical work, does not constitute an infringement of the copyright in the work if it is for the purpose of criticism or review, whether of that work or of another work, and a sufficient acknowledgement of the work is made." The fact that hasbro(not wizards, hasbro) issued a C&D means they have had knowledge of its existence. Furthermore, it can be argued that the program existed for the criticism and critiquing of their IP, Magic: The Gathering. While the amount of time that cockatrice has existed may be used to mitigate its use as an outlet to criticism, the fact that a new set comes out approximately every 3-4 months which can alter the game which causes a new 'review' or criticism to be necessary.
    Belcher
    Delver
    Dredge

When your heart won't beat, your eyes go black
    There's a light in the tunnel and you can't turn back
    Your friends can't save you, your family's gone
    You're waiting on your judgment at the foot of the throne
    Will you beg for some mercy? Will you cop some pleas?
    Will you stand on your own or get down on your knees?
    Will your angels release you from where demons dwell?
    Will you make it into Heaven or go right back to Hell?
    Only time will tell

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Beatusnox View Post
    I actually posted about this on facebook, to quote my post from there.
    I think you're completely misinterpreting what that fair use clause means. Cockatrice in no way provided any substantial criticism or in fact offered any artistic expression. Even if they acknowledge MtG, they're not meeting the prerequisites.

Quote Originally Posted by shpishay
    I wonder if someone savvy in Linux would be able to set up a third party server.
    Someone already did that at www.woogerworks.com. We'll probably have to find new cards.xml files in sketchy forum posts now (like what MWS people do). It's not that hard to make yourself though - XML is pretty readable.
    Languages and dates for every set. For all you true pimps.

Aug 2011
    Italy

Just like mIRC what's preventing anyone from setting up local, regional servers?

λόγος + τέλος
    Feb 2011
    New York

Quote Originally Posted by bilb_o View Post
    Just like mIRC what's preventing anyone from setting up local, regional servers?
    Like was already said, there is already a new server up that seems to have more traffic than the old one --

play.woogerworks.com

register at the domain name above.
    Quote Originally Posted by emidln View Post
    If you have 3 mana and 2 draws and can't win through bullshit permanents, you are mentally deficient and probably want to examine a game with less thought. I recommend Lawn Darts.

Quote Originally Posted by Chikenbok View Post
    Like was already said, there is already a new server up that seems to have more traffic than the old one --

play.woogerworks.com

register at the domain name above.
    Sweet! Thanks for the info.

Oct 2011
    Denmark

i guess the ninja way to get a cockatrice clone to function is this:

have a clone of cocktatrice. call its Honktarice.

have a free virtual cardcame. call its Honkers.

allow players to upload their own cards and cardsets, as well as art, into the Honkatrice client.

someone unafilliated with Honkers and Honkatrice will produce a package of all the mtg cards and their art, and share it via anonymous sites/torrents.

this way the owners of Honkers are not liable - only the enduser.

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

Anyone have any information on how to run Oracle and get the sets downloaded?

I had to re-download cockatrice from woogerworks and don't know if there is a link to it somewhere that I can import.

Anyone know?

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n Cook View Post
    Anyone have any information on how to run Oracle and get the sets downloaded?

I had to re-download cockatrice from woogerworks and don't know if there is a link to it somewhere that I can import.

Anyone know?
    Don't know about how to scrape gatherer, but here's a link to sets.xml from Reddit:

https://mega.co.nz/#!OpxH1QIB!YHH73S...27LBiaXyR4DFp0
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Thread Information