Thread: Petition to restore Cockatrice server

Hybrid View

Legacy Staple
    May 2008
    Citizen of the world.

Petition to restore Cockatrice server

So, I don't know if you guys have already heard about it (or if there's another topic open for this, haven't seen it), but the main Cockatrice server was shut down because of legal disputes with Hasbro about copyright infringement.
    Since the software was a very useful tool for us all to playtest online decks for free before buying cards (and I suspect this also was the main point of the problem), I'd suggest you to visit https://www.change.org/petitions/has...ckatrice#share to sign in for Cockatrice to be restored; maybe it could change the turning of things, in a way or the other.

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastorofmuppets View Post
    you just want us to do that because of your Silences, you sly dog.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Avatar of kicks_422's creation and property

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Re: Petition to restore Cockatrice server

Playing the role of Devil's Advocate:
    How would restoration of the Cockatrice server not continue to violate copyright law with regards to effectively copying the full card art and frame directly into the client and at real time?
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Playing solidarity on MWS because I love to masturbate.
    Aug 2008
    Arkansas

There is no way for them to allow this legally. Cockatrice was in violation of federal law...period. This is wizards trademark, copyright as well as intellectual property that was being used to pretty much counterfeit digital cards. I could see an argument possible if they did not have their own digital product. If you start allowing a dilution of your product via programs such as cockatrice, then it weakens your product as well as the status of their trademark and copyrights.

Sure I love to playtest before I take a leap and buy new cards. I do this via the use of a nice color printer, sticker photo paper and land cards. My group has a playtest binder with playsets of most high dollar staples to test new ideas with, we do this before going out of pocket a few hundred in cards for a deck that may not work in our meta. To be honest we do not view what we do as legal, but we do see it as necessary to continue to be able to playtest and keep our out of pocket cost down by not buying cards that will not be used.
    Join Team Short bus We have all the special People, We allow helmets at our tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Ertai's Familiar View Post
    Personally I ... find MWS to be as fun as running a cheese grater down my ballsack.

Just use MWS. EZ game.
    Team Hadley: OG Member Bitches
    I pray to Tom Brady.
    Red Sox 04 & 07: YEA

Nov 2007
    Finland

Since I use neither I have to ask: what makes Cockatrice illegal but not MWS?
    Some of my friends sell records,
    some of my friends sell drugs.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Hopo View Post
    Since I use neither I have to ask: what makes Cockatrice illegal but not MWS?
    Leeching card art from Wizards.com to load into the program.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Перетягивание
    Feb 2012
    Canberra, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Some possible reasons ...

It's positioned as a virtual table top pretty well in it's documentation and supports multiple CCGs
    It's tabletop engine is peer to peer and thus doesn't have a central server to 'shut down' (it can be run through a 3rd party server process as well for those cut off from firewalls and whatnot)
    From the Cockatrice thread

Thread Information