Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pyromancer Ascension

Last edited by Anusien; 03-08-2013 at 04:52 PM.
    Magic Level 3 Judge
    Southern USA Regional Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post
    Battle with a ragtag crew of adorable misfits. Narcomoeba and Golgari Thug hook up before the end of the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    Please be less rambling in your next post. I only bothered with figuring out what the fuck you were trying to ask because I took it as a challenge.

Re: Pyromancer Ascension

How do you Grapeshot without Regrowth?
    Hill Giant means business.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Quote Originally Posted by kusumoto View Post
    How do you Grapeshot without Regrowth?
    Past in Flames

It doesn't seem like it would ever do very much damage though would it?

How much do you usually end up dealing with it?

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Quote Originally Posted by kusumoto View Post
    It doesn't seem like it would ever do very much damage though would it?

How much do you usually end up dealing with it?
    It deals at least 20, which is the point of this deck.

Try this or any other modern storm deck out, then post more questions if you have any.

You have actually cast 20 spells in a turn with this deck? On what turn was that?

Assuming you have an active Pyromancer Ascension, you cast Manamorphose and draw 2, netting +2 mana.

When you cast Desperate Ritual you can only splice onto the real versions and not the copies right? Splicing wont give you storm count and neither do any of the copies of cards.

So you cast that Manamorphose and get your +2 cards and mana with the plan to draw into Past in Flames with cantrips getting copied and then flashback the mana acceleration/cantrips and Grapeshot.

That seems like it would be really difficult to pull off. What is your average kill turn and how often do you fizzle?

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Remand on your own Manamorphose with an active Ascension (and the correct stacking of the triggers/copies) allows you to draw your deck and generate a very large storm count. It's not all that hard to pull off.

If you ever get to copy a Manamorphose with Pyromancer Ascension, you basically can't lose. On a typical good draw, you'll cast Ascension on turn 2, make it active on turn 3, and kill on turn 4.

You don't need to do a full 20 with Grapeshot because of Lightning Bolts. It is possible though to do the full 20 with either Lightning Bolts or Grapeshot. You can also limit the amount of gas you need by casting Grapeshot for about 8-9 (easy) and then either Past in Flames or Remanding it and recasting it. It's pretty easy to do 20 once you untap with an active Ascension.

To go infinite with Manamorphose and Remand, you actually need two Ascensions.
    Magic Level 3 Judge

Battle with a ragtag crew of adorable misfits. Narcomoeba and Golgari Thug hook up before the end of the movie.
    Please be less rambling in your next post. I only bothered with figuring out what the fuck you were trying to ask because I took it as a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Anusien View Post
    If you ever get to copy a Manamorphose with Pyromancer Ascension, you basically can't lose. On a typical good draw, you'll cast Ascension on turn 2, make it active on turn 3, and kill on turn 4.

You don't need to do a full 20 with Grapeshot because of Lightning Bolts. It is possible though to do the full 20 with either Lightning Bolts or Grapeshot. You can also limit the amount of gas you need by casting Grapeshot for about 8-9 (easy) and then either Past in Flames or Remanding it and recasting it. It's pretty easy to do 20 once you untap with an active Ascension.

To go infinite with Manamorphose and Remand, you actually need two Ascensions.
    OK I get the infinite go with the two Pyromancer Ascension , Manamorphose, and Remand.

Is a single Past in Flames enough? Do you ever have fizzles because of not finding it?

This seems like it could be a fun deck. Have you played any sideboard games with it? It seems like boarding out anything would be seriously detrimental to the combo.

P.S. You should use card tags in the OP. It's [ cards ] [ /cards ] without the spaces.

Jan 2013
    Madison, WI

I played UR Storm prior to the Seething Song banning, and I have to say, Faithless Looting was much nicer than Desperate Ravings. Also, some of the Sulfur Falls may be better off as Shivan Reef, since the low land count makes keeping a one land hand with a land that comes into play tapped kind of terrible.

jungle lion, good?...
    Mar 2010
    Isla de luzón de filipinas

Oh hello fellow UR storm players!
    Ever since the banning of seething song, I'm still optimist that this deck can still perform well.
    And so far, I've been playing around the metro here and here are my results:

3-Feb-13 4-1-1
    won vs. shoal tron, bw control, rg tron, infect
    lost vs. rdw
    draw vs. jund

16-Feb-13 3-1
    won vs. affinity, mbc, mbc
    lost vs. kithkins

26-Feb-13 3-2 (GPT: Beijing)
    won vs. mono u control, rdw, bug
    lost vs. pod, rug

9-Mar-13 3-1-1 (GPT: Beijing)
    won vs. rwu, esper, jund
    lost vs. gifts control
    draw vs. rdw
    *then lost to ur twin in the top8.

And just incase anyone here is interested in my local meta, here is my page:
    http://mtglegacy.freeforums.org/mode...-13-t9-20.html

*cheers
    TJB

http://deartiyopaeng.blogspot.com/ <---- (updated) MTG related blog. ^_^

TES: 102nd out of 2000 players at GP Kyoto 2015 (Legacy)

UR Storm: 37th of 950 players at GP Guangzhou 2016 (Modern)

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Thanks for the results Paeng. Do you play a similar maindeck as Anusien posted? What's your sideboard? Any comments on what in particular gives you trouble (I wouldn't expect the deck loses to things like Kithkin, so some of these losses must have just been to fizzling out), or what to watch out for when people decide on bringing this to a tournament?

Sulfur Falls is fine. I actually kept it on a one-lander and it was totally okay. I went 5-3 at the local PTQ, with my losses in basically equal parts skill and luck.

My sideboard was:
    2 Gigadrowse
    3 Stone Rain
    3 Shattering Spree
    2 Combust
    2 Pyroclasm
    3 Echoing Truth

RG Tron - W (Game 1 was sick; I got to go off without Ascension, just by Grapeshot + Remand + a hand full of free spells)
    5C Zoo - L (Abrupt Decay + beats)
    RG Tron - W
    RG Aggro - W
    RG Tron with mana Walls instead of artifacts - W
    UWR - L
    UWR Twin - W
    Infect - L

Echoing Truth was a complete brick and I never needed it, although I did side it in some. I found myself wanting a little help against the aggro decks; I am very interested in Spellskite post-board. It can eat Abrupt Decay and it blocks.

Remand was mediocre; I Remanded my own spells a lot and their spells very little. I was on the draw for most of my games though. Desperate Ravings was kind of weak too. I almost never flashed it back too.
    Magic Level 3 Judge

jungle lion, good?...
    Mar 2010

@ Phoenix Ignition
    Do you play a similar maindeck as Anusien posted?
    Well, like 80% the same. I don’t have 3 desperate ravings, 4 remands and 4 bolts in my main. I opt to include 2 faithless looting and 2 peer to the breech for additional cantrip and 4 pyretic ritual for additional mana ramp. And my favorite – [card]epic experiment[/card].

What's your sideboard?
    What I currently have in my sleeve:
    3 bolts, 2 combust, 4 defense grid, 2 echoing truth, 4 ETW

I wouldn't expect the deck loses to things like Kithkin
    uhmmm… well, despite having an online PA then, the deck did not gave the kill con (ETW or grapeshot) I was praying then - thus I lose.

Any comments on what in particular gives you trouble
    Decks that are packed with disrupts or/ and counters in it. I’m actually thinking of adding in the main deck [card]silence[/card]. And replacing some of the lands into rainbow lands.

what to watch out … on bringing this to a tournament
    Decks like GW variants, D&T, BW variants have main deck hate. Mostly thalia, others also have teeg and canonnist. Next in the list are decks that are packed with disrupts and/ or counters. Then lastly, super fast decks such as god draw burn that can kill you at turn 3, RG beats and the like.
    TJB

So a few thoughts on your list:
    1) I originally had both Pyretic and Desperate Ritual. I was finding that I was drawing them too often and they weren't good enough. I cut Pyretic and was never sad about it.
    2) Epic Experiment seems like trash now. I only barely had enough mana to make it good in UR Storm, and that was with Electromancer and Seething Song. I am confident it is not good enough now.
    3) Peer through Depths is interesting, but it doesn't find Ascension.

If you're losing to disruption, just put Gigadrowse in your sideboard. I had 2, and I am probably going up to a 3rd. The blue decks basically can't beat it if they try to sit on counters. You can still lose to quick Geist though.
    If you are worried about losing to random hatebears, the Bolts are pretty good, and I might sideboard in Pyroclasm too. Having maindeck Bolt made my game versus random decks so much better, because I don't scoop to a single Canonist anymore (yes I know you can beat Canonist slowly with Ascension, but still).
    Magic Level 3 Judge

Member-ish
    Feb 2006
    Manila

@Anusien:

If Remand was mediocre and Ravings was weak, are you thinking of replacing them?
    The Source: Your Source for "The Source: Your Source for..." cliche.

Magic Level 3 Judge

Noxious Revival seems really good with Ascension and removes the need to have remand.
    Belcher
    Delver
    Dredge

When your heart won't beat, your eyes go black
    There's a light in the tunnel and you can't turn back
    Your friends can't save you, your family's gone
    You're waiting on your judgment at the foot of the throne
    Will you beg for some mercy? Will you cop some pleas?
    Will you stand on your own or get down on your knees?
    Will your angels release you from where demons dwell?
    Will you make it into Heaven or go right back to Hell?
    Only time will tell

Noxious Revival is basically dead until you're going off. You'll notice I strictly limited the amount of cards that are in that position.
    Magic Level 3 Judge

jungle lion, good?...
    Mar 2010

Just got home from our PTQ. x-2 was my record. I won vs the following: mbc control, tron, urw, ur twin, urg twin. Lost to two jund decks. UR modern storm is really an awesome deck.

The list that I sleeved:

4 Pyromancer Ascension
    3 Grapeshot
    2 Past in Flames
    2 Epic Experiment

4 Sleight of Hand
    4 Serum Visions
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    3 Thought Scour
    2 Faithless Looting

4 Manamorphose
    4 Desperate Ritual
    4 Pyretic Ritual

4 Scalding Tarn
    2 Misty Rainforest
    4 Steam Vents
    4 Sulfur Falls
    1 Mountain
    3 Island

SB
    3 spellskite
    3 gigadrowse
    3 empty the warrens
    2 echoing truth
    2 pyroclasm
    2 shattering spree

Gigadrowse is an awesome SB card. It really stun U base players. Although i use it sometimes to tap mana of disruptful decks and/ or those of his attackers/ blockers.

tournament report:
    http://mtglegacy.freeforums.org/post17.html#p17
    Last edited by paeng4983; 03-17-2013 at 01:23 PM.
    TJB

Thread Information