Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pyromancer Ascension

Hybrid View

Last edited by Anusien; 03-08-2013 at 04:52 PM.
    Magic Level 3 Judge
    Southern USA Regional Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post
    Battle with a ragtag crew of adorable misfits. Narcomoeba and Golgari Thug hook up before the end of the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    Please be less rambling in your next post. I only bothered with figuring out what the fuck you were trying to ask because I took it as a challenge.

Re: Pyromancer Ascension

How do you Grapeshot without Regrowth?
    Hill Giant means business.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Quote Originally Posted by kusumoto View Post
    How do you Grapeshot without Regrowth?
    Past in Flames

It doesn't seem like it would ever do very much damage though would it?

How much do you usually end up dealing with it?

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Quote Originally Posted by kusumoto View Post
    It doesn't seem like it would ever do very much damage though would it?

How much do you usually end up dealing with it?
    It deals at least 20, which is the point of this deck.

Try this or any other modern storm deck out, then post more questions if you have any.

You have actually cast 20 spells in a turn with this deck? On what turn was that?

Assuming you have an active Pyromancer Ascension, you cast Manamorphose and draw 2, netting +2 mana.

When you cast Desperate Ritual you can only splice onto the real versions and not the copies right? Splicing wont give you storm count and neither do any of the copies of cards.

So you cast that Manamorphose and get your +2 cards and mana with the plan to draw into Past in Flames with cantrips getting copied and then flashback the mana acceleration/cantrips and Grapeshot.

That seems like it would be really difficult to pull off. What is your average kill turn and how often do you fizzle?

Nov 2014
    Italy

Nice result. What are your thoughts about the main board Gifts and the 2 leylines in your SB? Currently my meta is dominated by Burn and Abzan, and I don't have much space to manoeuvre.
    While main board bolts are actually awesome against burn, but I feel that it is only luck that make us win against them. It all depends on how many Eidolons they see.
    Quote Originally Posted by clavio View Post
    Brainstorm is easy to play

jungle lion, good?...
    Mar 2010
    Isla de luzón de filipinas

Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Nice result. What are your thoughts about the main board Gifts and the 2 leylines in your SB? Currently my meta is dominated by Burn and Abzan, and I don't have much space to manoeuvre.
    While main board bolts are actually awesome against burn, but I feel that it is only luck that make us win against them. It all depends on how many Eidolons they see.
    @SPAM
    It was the time when Eidolon of the Great Rebel came to modern, GW hatebears and Zoo were on the rise when I decided to cut Increasing Vengence, Faithless Looting, Desperate Ravings, Peer Through Depths and lessen a Past in Flames for Lightning Bolts, fourth copy of Thought Scour and Gifts the Ungiven. I did the changes because those decks deal damage so fast and a handful of their creatures are nuisance in our playing style. Bolts in order for me to deal with pesky creatures. To name a few: Thalia, Teeg, Delvers, Aethersworn, Eidolon, Aven, YP, Nacatl, Pestermite, Pod creatures. Also, Lightning Bolt helps Grapeshot in a way that it acts as an alternate win-con as the game progresses.

Taking out that much cantrips means my deck losses its digging power. So I need to look for a replacement that will help me cover for their lost. Something powerful enough that can affect my hand and graveyard. In the early process, I tried Treasure Cruise, Telling time, Dig Through Time, Steam Augury, Perilous Research, Uncovered Clues and Gifts the Ungiven. Gifts really provide the steam needed by the deck. Searching for four cards at the end of your opponent’s turn gives you a higher win rate.

I am still sticking with 2 Leyline of Sanctity because burn decks are still rampant here. Always save your bolts for eidolon. Grapeshot can handle Goblin Guide. Pay four life points if Vexing Devil comes down in his first two turns.

As for Abzan, these guys packed Abrupt Decays. In this match up, I value our goblin goblin more than the red enchantment.

Cheers!
    -Paeng
    TJB

http://deartiyopaeng.blogspot.com/ <---- (updated) MTG related blog. ^_^

TES: 102nd out of 2000 players at GP Kyoto 2015 (Legacy)

UR Storm: 37th of 950 players at GP Guangzhou 2016 (Modern)

Nov 2014
    Italy

@paeng4983

Well, since I wanted to reply in a sensible maner, instead of just discussing about nothing, I basicly pick up your list (with some minor changes) and tried it out.
    Yesterday I had a small tournament in my local shop and I ended up making top 8 with some realy good wins and some terrible loss. However, the result was really good.

So, let me start with the list.

7 fetches , 2 vents, 3 Shivan, 3 island, 1 Mountain

4 D.ritual, 4 P.ritual, 4 Manamorphose

4 Probe, 4 Serum, 4 Sleight, 1 Gifts the Ungiven, 3 Desperate ravings

2 Grapeshot, 2 PiF, 4 Goblin Electromancer, 4 P.Ascension, 4 L.Bolts

SB
    3 Leyline of Sanctity, 1 Defense Grid, 3 Shatter Storm, 3 Blood Moon, 3 ETW, 1 Echoing Truth , 1 Void Snare

Round one: UR Twin 0-2

So basically my deck died in both games all alone. I was able to cast Pyromancer ascension both times and charge it, but both times I lost by drawing only lands..Nothing to say here, just that the match is hard but not impossible.

+ 3 ETW; 1 Eco; 1 Grid
    - 4 Bolts; 1 Gift

Round two: Abzan 2-0

Well, well, here's the bad one. My opponent (a good friend of mine) is extremely happy to see me.
    -If I win the dice roll there's no way to win this for Storm, you know that right?-
    -Usually goes that way, yes.-
    Roll...
    Roll...
    He wins:
    -Well I guess it's all the more easy for me!-
    Except it's not.
    Game one I basically crush him by killing his Scavenging ooze with Bolt and playing around his discard spells with Visions. Death by many spells at turn five.

Game two starts really badly with a mull to five. At seven I had no land, at six no lands, at five no lands, but I had Leyline and Blood Moon. ( to be exact 2 Serum; 1 Leyline; 1 Sleight; 1 Moon)
    Since it can only go worst from there I decided to keep, and it was glorious.
    He did not expect the leyline and I did not expect to draw a land, but sometimes thing just goes well to you. The game went on and I was also able to cast Blood Moon killing his deck.
    Isn't moder such a fun and INTERACTIVE format!? I felt a bit guilty for it.

+ 3 ETW; 3 Leyline; 3 Blood Moon
    - 4 Probes; 1 Gift; 4 Bolts

Round three: Abzan 2-0

-Hello there my Storm friend, are you aware of your chances of victory if I win the dice roll?-
    -Yeah, what ever.-
    Roll...
    Roll...
    He wins.
    Round one basically goes like the other one. Again, playing well your Serums makes a Huge difference. Death by many bolts)
    Round two I kept an awesome hand at seven with Blood Moon that got discarded, this saved my ascension and allowed me to kill him at turn three.
    Blood Moon is so good even when it doesn't enter the battle field.

Round four: Temur Moons 2-0

Control with Goyfs? Hell yeah, this is going to be painful!
    Turns out that, by winning the dice roll, there's nothing he can do to stop me. Death by many spells on turn four with Ascension.
    Round two he must down to six and opens the game with a Breeding Pool taped. I probe his hand and saw: 2 Spell Snare, 1 Bolt and 2 Island.
    I had: 1 Goblin, 2 Ascension, 2 Fetches, 2 Visions and a Sleight (thanks to probe).
    The game basically ended when I was able to resolve my Ascension and kill him with no rush, since he started to 3 lands for to long.

+ 3 ETW; 1 Defense grid
    - 4 Bolts

Round Five: Draw

Since we're both in top 8 there's no reason to play this one (Spoiler Alert. This guy played Burn, which kicked me out from the final.

+ 1 Beer
    - Getting home early

Top 8!

Round one: The Rock. 2-0

Oh boy, this was hard. Game one he basically destroyed my hand with discard spells, but didn't cast a creature until turn 6. This gave me the time to rebuild my hand and kill him with a bolt! Actually, I also had three active ascension on the ground. Silly me.
    Round two: Leyline plus Moon = GG

Round 2 Burn 0-2

My adventure ended here. He had the highest rating and gave me not enough time to combo off.
    Game two. I did not find a Leyline. So I lost again.

+ 3 Leyline; 1 Eco; 1 Void
    - 4 Probe; 1 Gift.

In the end:
    - Bolts made my day. I've never, ever, regret seeing them.
    - Gift is a nice addition, the few time I drew it felt awesome.
    - Ravings is, in my opinion, mandatory. I can't really count how many turn three games I've won by just casting Goblin, Ritual, Manamorphose, Ravings and Ravings from the graveyard. The random discard is rarely an issue.
    - 3 Leyline were actually pretty good. I feel there's no need for the forth one, but two are probably not enough for my taste.
    - 3 Blood Moon is still the best card against Abzan, not only because it will kill their deck, but they will always discard it, leaving our ascension/Goblin/spell we need in and.
    - Man, I really like to trow goblins at people.
    - Need to test more against burn.

Thanks for reading. Next week I'll be still riding the storm, but with TES! It's legacy week!

Mar 2013
    Bury, Manchester, England

You boarded Gifts out in almost every match.
    Quote Originally Posted by useL View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twndomn View Post
    If you pay me or give me some benefits, I might consider writing reports.
    Can I pay you for not posting in this thread?
    The conspiracy goes deeper than you might think.

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjer View Post
    That's.... that's not how deckbuilding works.

Nov 2014
    Italy

Yes, you're right. However, my primary goal was to keep consistency intact. It's fair to say that Gifts, in the end, isn't necessary to win, but gives us an extra bust that we might need in game one.

Edit:
    Thinking back on my sideboard choices, I probably should have kept Gifts more often. Siding in all that cards made me extremely greedy in terms of space.

Mar 2013

I think I intended to analyse that statement, but just sort of posted it.

Is there a chance that Gifts is a G1 card, and is just significantly worse in G2?

Nov 2014
    Italy

It really depends on how much we plan to use the graveyard in G2. Gifts is all the more strong if we plan to win through PIF, but turns incredibly bad against any sort of hate that targets our graveyard or our deck from there (Surgical).

Since post board I tend to dodge this, I prefer to put Gifts in the back for more goblins and try to naturally draw a Past in Flames.

jungle lion, good?...
    Mar 2010

Never take out gifts. it is our best weapon out there next to PA and Goblin.

I participated again at my LGS here.
    My MUs were:

Dredge 2-0
    Mono G aggro 2-0
    GW hatebears 2-1
    Abzan 2-0

I won a Windswept Heath KTK.

I am still with the same 75.

--------------------------------
    22 March 2015
    1:18pm

One week after, I played the same 75 again in another LGS here in Manila.
    I went 4-0. My MUs were:

Abzan 2-0
    UG Infect 2-1
    Dredge 2-1
    Zoo 2-1

------------- 0 --------------------------

22 March
    11:50pm
    Spent my sunday afternoon playing at another LGS.
    Gw hatebears win
    Abzan loss
    Mono b control win
    Abzan win

We have a gpt Chiba this coming sunday. If i am not able to assemble urw mentor deck, most probably i am still with this.

*Did not bother to create a new post for this since i am the last one. i just included it here.*
    Last edited by paeng4983; 03-22-2015 at 11:31 AM.
    TJB

Has anyone yet considered playing UWR and fitting Mentor in this just as a second angle of attack?

I'm brewing around with a list, but want to test it first, before posting here ;)

jungle lion, good?...
    Mar 2010

Quote Originally Posted by IlCannone View Post
    Has anyone yet considered playing UWR and fitting Mentor in this just as a second angle of attack?

I'm brewing around with a list, but want to test it first, before posting here ;)
    Before, I was playtesting the mentor as my game two sort of semi transformational thing. To sum it up, I wasn't satisfied. Most of my opponent side in anti token hate expecting a mob of goblins from etw which is bad for the tokens off MM.
    And, most of the time when the 1st MM dies, it takes a long time for me to take a hold on the second one.

And as for my TRs
    Last week's GPT Shang, 5rds cut to T8
    I scrub-out 2-3
    Rd1 loss due to late
    Rd2 abzan 1-2
    Rd3 affinity 2-0
    Rd4 burn 1-2
    Rd5 abzan 2-0

Then awhile I participated again in another shop's gpt. We only had it 4rds cut to T8.
    My MUs were
    Bloom 2-0
    Scapeshift 2-0
    Bw tokens and living end id

Q: bw tokens 0-2

Tomorrow we have another gpt on modern, hopefully i'll be able to attend that one too.
    TJB

explosive
    Feb 2006
    Germany - RLP

http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=9529&f=MO

Anyone saw this already?
    Team SPOD
    <Der_imaginäre_Freund> props:
    Adan for being the NQG God (drawer)

Nov 2014
    Italy

When I saw the list, I actually thought it was you Yami.

Mar 2013

I've been on Esper Mentor for a while now. I might screw around with some UWR Ascension Mentor build. Stormout or just make a thousand guys.

Aug 2012
    Italy

I believe it's pretty normal not to see any (Un)Storm deck at the GP, usually Pros get the top tier deck of the moment, and the average modern player doesn't pick such a deck up. It's usually played by Legacy Stormers as me and you, in fact, are.
    Anyway I'm fine if the deck is under the radars, as long as too much popularity could bring to specific hate in sideboards and hate from WotC (Finkel's result at the Pro Tour led to the prints of red and white Eidolons :( ).

Anyway I'll make an exception and cheer for you at the GP! :D

Inviato dal mio GT-S7275R utilizzando Tapatalk
    "You must believe you are the best, and then make sure you are" Bill Shankly

Quote Originally Posted by sawatarix View Post
    Storming to ten is like a performance,so having professional equipments is a necessity.

Thread Information