Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Pyromancer Ascension

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Re: Pyromancer Ascension

Good catch on the no-fetches, I missed that part. I can see that the deck thinning (miniscule difference in draws) isn't necessary and there can be perfect mana without them. Scrying with Serum Visions sometimes gets awkward with fetches. I don't think the deck can handle the scry lands like Ad Nauseam, but the thought has crossed my mind.

I still like Remand, but I don't like 4 copies. I think Remand actually gets better if there is 3 Grapeshots main, making it so I don't have to lean on Gifts so hard for the kill. I'll probably stick to 3/3 of Remand/Grapeshot (and this is a spot where Peer through Depths shines, because it can further the storm chain for only U, again without needing PiF or Gifts.)
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Nov 2014
    Italy

I think Remand isn't a bad card, but I've never felt the need of it; to me, Pif has always been enough. If I would run the card I would set for two copies, but three is defensible.
    I've actually considered scry-lands myself. Caleb runs four islands and one mountain, which looks a bit of a waste, but the deck plays a lot of stuff every turn and a taped land hurts us quite a lot; besides, they diminish the chance of our (already rare) turn three kill. Ironically, I find combo decks working a lot better without fetches in a non Brainstorm/Ponder environment.
    Quote Originally Posted by clavio View Post
    Brainstorm is easy to play

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    I think Remand isn't a bad card, but I've never felt the need of it; to me, Pif has always been enough. If I would run the card I would set for two copies, but three is defensible.
    I've actually considered scry-lands myself. Caleb runs four islands and one mountain, which looks a bit of a waste, but the deck plays a lot of stuff every turn and a taped land hurts us quite a lot; besides, they diminish the chance of our (already rare) turn three kill. Ironically, I find combo decks working a lot better without fetches in a non Brainstorm/Ponder environment.
    I agree with all of this. Turn 3's are getting more rare because the best deck (Death's Shadow variants) are so heavy on discard; it's basically the new jund but leaner and meaner. Decks that don't play Thoughtseize allow for t3's much more often. I think the synergy of Remand with Baral is overstated. I've had maybe 2-3 times it has mattered in about 20 games. The Remand buying me a turn is significant, but the looting wasn't. I just needed time.

I did some playtesting last night and I love the 3 Grapeshots. Past in Flames + Grapeshot, or Remand + Grapeshot can get the job done just as well as a Gifts chain. Peer through Depths was stellar.

What I really want is another 1-mana cantrip that isn't garbage. I don't think Thought Scour is that great, at least in my experience, and without Pyromancer's Ascension it loses a lot of its power. Pieces of the Puzzle might be the card I want, but three mana is A LOT. Sorcery speed is so rough.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

hey people!

Pyromancer ascension combocontrol is not dead! I added snapcaster mage to the deck and it's awesome. I've had decent results with it. Here's the list:

Maindeck

3 Snapcaster Mage
    4 Pyromancer Ascension

4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Lightning Helix
    4 Thought Scour
    4 Manamorphose
    4 Remand
    4 Path to Exile
    3 Visions of Beyond
    4 Serum Visions
    4 Sleight of Hand

2 Spirebluff Canal
    2 Steam Vents
    1 Sacred Foundry
    1 Hallowed Fountain
    1 Mountain
    2 Island
    4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Flooded Strand
    1 Plains

Sideboard

1 Engineered Explosives
    2 Monastery Mentor
    1 Stony Silence
    2 Wear // Tear
    2 Dispel
    1 Negate
    1 Rest for the Weary
    2 Ceremonious Rejection
    2 Anger of the Gods
    1 Pieces of the Puzzle

I feel like the deck's only bad matchups are eldrazi tron, Gx tron and dredge with the current sideboard. Grixis shadow is 50/50. Almost all small creature based decks are good matchups.

I think the maindeck is probably perfect, but I don't know if the sideboard is 100% correct. I've been disappointed by ceremonius rejection, since eldrazi decks play cavern of souls, but I don't really know any other card that's really good against eldrazi tron. Do you have any suggestions?

Let me know what you think!

Do a 3/2, 4/1 split of remand/unsubstantiate (doesn’t counter, avoids caverns)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Legacy decks: mono U painter, strawberry shortcake, imperial painter, solidarity, burn
    EDH decks: zedruu voltron, rakdos the defiler, persistent petitioners, blind seer

Had a double look of your list.. I tried a list like that before, and here’s a few things I see.
    Ponder is good, accumulated knowledge can definitely be a thing, you can run a one-of grapeshot-kill against decks with a lot of permission. Echoing truth can be good against belcher, and I’d strongly consider a wipe away, krosan grip, or something along those lines against CB on 1 (blocking you off thought scour).
    Also, mission briefing over snapcaster mage (dig 4, and allows you to cast alternate costs from GY). Or at least put snap in as well, giving you more mana and reuse out of SCM.

You might wanna try a transformational sideboard. Your deck is very one-dimensional, so your opponents are gonna sub out terminuses and swords - so hit em back with cliques and SCM beatdown or jaces maybe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Legacy decks: mono U painter, strawberry shortcake, imperial painter, solidarity, burn
    EDH decks: zedruu voltron, rakdos the defiler, persistent petitioners, blind seer

Thread Information