Page 162 of 258 FirstFirst ... 62112152158159160161162163164165166172212 ... LastLast
Results 3,221 to 3,240 of 5144

Thread: [Deck] Imperial Painter

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

Re: [Deck] Imperial Painter

Quote Originally Posted by itrytostorm View Post
    I really like the Helm/RiP combo as a backup plan with E-Tutor. Am I the only one? If more veteran pilots think it's a waste, I'd like to hear it.
    It works, and is an alternative wincon against eldrazi decks.

I mean, my metagame is plenty developed, and a black splash for slaughter games and plague type effects have been excellent. I would not go further into the splash beyond these cards, which several people besides myself have found to be good. After about 3 months of consistently valuing them, I'm reticent to cut slaughter games, badlands, or plague/illness/circle of flame after finally finding an acceptable boarding strategy for Omnitell and Pyromancer decks, as well as mentor decks without completely scrapping the r/w core, which can't really beat these decks without black. If that's a sacrifice of focus, then so be it - it improves my matchups against the most prominent decks of the field at the marginal cost of playing a badlands over a great furnace, and lotus petals over SSG. As far as the board goes, the black cards conveniently don't come in against wasteland decks, and usually not against decks where blood moon is good, so you don't lose much there either. They also overlap with the slots they replace, so it's not a fundamental shift in the balance of role players in the sideboard.

My 2 cents on black, having run with this idea for quite a while now.

Aug 2014
    New Jersey

I'm at dc spot 36 if anyone wants to talk painter.

Dec 2014
    West Lafayette, IN

The stream is showing a variety of decks present; with Miracles being a large majority it would seem; Hows everyone fairing?

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

I went 0-3 drop after facing mono red sneak round 1 with 3 or 4 inferno titan etb triggers knocking me out after aggressive tomb damage game 3, then losing to natural rip-helm by turn 5 in games 2 and 3 out of combo miracles plus some balance locking, then lost round 3 to torpor-nought. Game 3 hand was tomb, tundra, nought, torpor, force x2 plus two blue cards lol. Dude and deck were awesome. I will say that this is the matchup where the 1 chandra is better than the 4th recruiter since I called a judge on myself after accidentally triggering Recruiter. So yea, torpor orb.

Still not to unhappy with the deck since I took a game off all three matches and was a turn away in each from winning game 3. Won't change much will just hope for more usual matchups next time.
    Strawberry Shortcake

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...erry-Shortcake

What a brainstorm do? Draw card and activate on draw effects fix hand, removing woods
    #FreeNedleeds

Monkey Blast
    Aug 2011
    Champaign, IL

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n Cook View Post
    I went 0-3 drop after facing mono red sneak round 1 with 3 or 4 inferno titan etb triggers knocking me out after aggressive tomb damage game 3, then losing to natural rip-helm by turn 5 in games 2 and 3 out of combo miracles plus some balance locking, then lost round 3 to torpor-nought. Game 3 hand was tomb, tundra, nought, torpor, force x2 plus two blue cards lol. Dude and deck were awesome. I will say that this is the matchup where the 1 chandra is better than the 4th recruiter since I called a judge on myself after accidentally triggering Recruiter. So yea, torpor orb.

Still not to unhappy with the deck since I took a game off all three matches and was a turn away in each from winning game 3. Won't change much will just hope for more usual matchups next time.
    Were you playing with the black splash?

I went 0-3 drop...

Well I can top that...

I went 1-4 with the win coming in the 5th round for fun.

Also want to point out that you can often make Day Two in the Open Series With X-3 so your drop might have been premature.

Even though I had a bad day I totally agree with this. I made two major mistakes and two minor mistakes which I will outline below.

Round 1: vs. Jeremy Denmon on RUG Delver (It's odd but the last Legacy Open I played in, my Round 1 opponent was also on RUG Delver beat me in much the same way, and then top eighted, maybe beating me in Round 1 is a good luck charm)
    Won Game 1: Lost Games 2 and 3 when he always had the answers for my haymakers, perhaps I should have been less aggressive with them, and I totally should have taken an opportunity to REB a Tarmogoyf that I passed on thinking I was in a commanding spot with RIP in play and should save it for something that mattered... then losing RIP to his 1 of Destructive Revelry when tapped out of Red for Imperial Recruiter.

Round 2: RUG Delver
    Game one was close but I didn't lock him out, can't remember the details. Game two I failed the stifle test (this is the first legacy event I've played in in 4 months... because you know life...) (Major Mistake 1)

Round 3: Burn

I feel good about my life because I stole Game 2 with Spellskite and nearly Steal Game 3 with Spellskite... but he double bolted it right before I untapped and drew Painter... (with Grindstone in play) Painter got Fireblasted... and then I never recovered... =( What hurts more is that I actively decided to not put a Circle of Protection Red in the Board, the night before.

Round 4: Grixis Control

Major Mistake Number : Drawing your first card of the game and finding it is a Sideboard Card... =( GL moving on to Game 2 with no information.

Lose the game, abet closely, and with the proper sideboard hate maybe would have done better...

Round 5: Tezzerator

Game One: Jaya Ballard, Task Mage goes unchallenged, single handily deals with 2 Planeswalkers a Thoper Foundry and 5 Thopters allowing me to stabilize at 4 before proceeding to deal 25 damage on it's own.

Game Two: Pia and Kiran Nalaar is in the opening hand so I jam it turn 3, and they do a great job of mucking things up and buying time until Jaya shows up, doesn't get dealt with and then eventually wins again.

This was gridy and fun... and made my day even though the rest of the it was full of Punts.

TL;DR

I don't think the deck was the problem... I think I played badly.

So, I basically took about five months off from Legacy, and now that I've finally got the itch to play again, I just picked up tons of Painter pimp.

It's time to head back to my roots!

Sep 2014
    West Chester, PA

So. Funny story. Apparently I'm a moron. I played with a 55 card deck at the open wondering all day why I wasn't drawing fetches and not realizing they simply weren't in my deck. Despite the frustration I played the entirety of day 1, ending with a 4-5 record. First time in a long time I've gone negative in any format but I'm pretty pumped about eternal weekend since realizing I did that playing a 15 land deck. One could argue that playing a smaller deck meant more consistency but the land/spell ratio was terrible

Rd 1 I beat omni (1-0)
    Rd2 I lost to omni(1-1) misplayed super hard g2
    Rd3 I beat elves(2-1)
    Rd4 I lost to getting wastelanded out by grixis delver (should have been telling) (2-2)
    Rd5 I beat omni (3-2)
    Rd 6 I lost to omni (3-3)
    Rd 7 I lost to elves (3-4 dead)
    Rd 8 I lost to grixis again (3-5)
    Rd 9 I beat stone blade (4-5)

The order of my losses near the end might be wrong but my basic thoughts were this. Beating omni is doable. I don't like the thought of rip helm combo maindeck but it makes sense. I don't like rip with welder but a second win condition of some sort is needed, especially since most people have gone to two emrakuls. I was able to catch somebody with both in hand though. I do recommend, trying to mill them out just to see their lists and what spice they might have. Anyways, there needs to be something providing a fast clock in the main.

I like firebolt over k command to beat elves but k command over firebolt against delver

Quote Originally Posted by Mapson View Post
    So. Funny story. Apparently I'm a moron. I played with a 55 card deck at the open wondering all day why I wasn't drawing fetches and not realizing they simply weren't in my deck.

So it seems like we all were making dumb mistakes this past weekend. Again I think the deck is pretty ok... and it was our goofs that really messed our chances up.

Also you were paired against so much Omnitell. X_X

Sep 2014
    West Chester, PA

Yeah, a lot of omni. I think if I had more lands I would have won against them more. Also, like I said, I screwed up against the one opponent super hard. Putting the wrong card in off show and tell out of reflex rather than any kind of thought,

Dec 2014
    West Lafayette, IN

Saw Rude playing in the practice room. Played against the streamer I was watching even though it was a brew deck Painter still got there.

Punched my ticket to Eternal Weekend. I'll be debuting a new Painter list.

Jul 2015
    Tri-state Area

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Keller View Post
    Punched my ticket to Eternal Weekend. I'll be debuting a new Painter list.

Tell me more, tell me more! Does it have a black splash?

Sep 2014
    West Chester, PA

For those who moved revoker to the board, how is that working out? I really like revoker but agree he's not at his best right now and am considering trying the canonist main again

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Quote Originally Posted by Mapson View Post
    For those who moved revoker to the board, how is that working out? I really like revoker but agree he's not at his best right now and am considering trying the canonist main again
    To be honest, I've considered cutting revoker completely. I have it in the board right now but rarely bring it in. I do bring it in against LED decks but that's about it. Canonist is by far our best chance against OmniTell game one and is an auto win against storm game one. It also works very well to protect combo when sequenced right. Opponents also undervalue it until it totally screws up their game plan. I'm a big fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 2014
    West Lafayette, IN

If you thinking of cutting revoker do you have a needle or is that type of effect simply not needed as much anymore?

Btw the PKN in the board got iPainter on the mtgstock's{mtgogoldfish} latest article. Wtg

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Quote Originally Posted by Uroborian View Post
    If you thinking of cutting revoker do you have a needle or is that type of effect simply not needed as much anymore?

Btw the PKN in the board got iPainter on the mtgstock's latest article. Wtg
    Right now it's just revoker. I do think revoker is still better than needle, mostly due to searchability. Plus you often want to shut off mana abilities.

What is mtg stock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 2014
    West Lafayette, IN

Whoops not stocks goldfish....to much browsing reddit today lost track.

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/...gins-in-legacy

Sep 2014
    West Chester, PA

with the rise of mentor has anyone considered adding sulfur elemental to the board, also would fight against the possible rise of d & t as a response to the omni decks.

Thread Information