Page 95 of 258 FirstFirst ... 4585919293949596979899105145195 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,900 of 5144

Thread: [Deck] Imperial Painter

Re: [Deck] Imperial Painter

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix4 View Post
    I'm getting so damn tired of Death and Taxes, that I bought 2 foil Flashfires (Obviously, it HAS to be foil.... FLASHfires? ;) ), that i put in my board for yesterdays weekly legacy tourney... Plus one of my friends has gotten this crazy idea of collecting that monoW soldier deck with Suppression Field's and shit in it, so I figured, hell why not.... Didn't meet one single white deck that day...

Got to the last round as 4-1 in the swiss, getting paired up against my friend who was 5-0 at that time, so obviously, he wanted to play, and I couldn't draw, so we play:

Game 1, he wins the dieroll, and thoughtseizes me, taking my Blood Moon, which leaves me with a lot of mana on my hand.... Don't mind it, I just start to rip the cards from the top until I outclass his draws with mine....

Game 2... Playing patiently drawing 3 Force of Will's from his hand, before my 4th moon effect sticks to the board, giving me enough time to set up shop and combo him :D

My list for reference:

Lands
    6x Mountain
    4x City of Traitors
    4x Ancient Tomb
    2x Wooded Foothills
    2x Bloodstained Mire

Creatures
    4x Painter's Servant
    4x Imperial Recruiter
    4x Simian Spirit Guide
    2x Phyrexian Revoker
    2x Magus of the Moon
    1x Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

Other
    4x Blood Moon
    1x Ensnaring Bridge
    4x Lightning Bolt
    2x Red Elemental Blast
    4x Pyroblast
    3x Sensei's Divining Top
    2x Lotus Petal
    1x Chrome Mox
    4x Grindstone

Sideboard
    2x Ensnaring Bridge
    2x Grafdigger's Cage
    4x Thorn of Amethyst
    1x Manic Vandal
    3x Pyrokinesis
    1x Shattering Spree
    2x Koth of the Hammer

I'm not at all arguing the strength and resiliency (Spell check, anyone?) of the S-Cake version, but if I had the chance to go to GP New Jersey in November.... I wouldn't change a damn thing, and I would play the living hell out of all the fair decks :D
    No welders! This is madness! THIS IS SPARTA!

Quote Originally Posted by jake556 View Post
    I agree. Dem Welder/Top tricks.... Lawd!

I like Looting + Welder in the mono-Red lists. I ran it for awhile and it worked well. Clears bad top 3's away and can get you 'free' painters/stones.

I'm getting so damn tired of Death and Taxes, that I bought 2 foil Flashfires (Obviously, it HAS to be foil.... FLASHfires? ;) ), that i put in my board for yesterdays weekly legacy tourney... Plus one of my friends has gotten this crazy idea of collecting that monoW soldier deck with Suppression Field's and shit in it, so I figured, hell why not.... Didn't meet one single white deck that day...

Got to the last round as 4-1 in the swiss, getting paired up against my friend who was 5-0 at that time, so obviously, he wanted to play, and I couldn't draw, so we play:

Game 1, he wins the dieroll, and thoughtseizes me, taking my Blood Moon, which leaves me with a lot of mana on my hand.... Don't mind it, I just start to rip the cards from the top until I outclass his draws with mine....

Game 2... Playing patiently drawing 3 Force of Will's from his hand, before my 4th moon effect sticks to the board, giving me enough time to set up shop and combo him :D

My list for reference:

Lands
    6x Mountain
    4x City of Traitors
    4x Ancient Tomb
    2x Wooded Foothills
    2x Bloodstained Mire

Creatures
    4x Painter's Servant
    4x Imperial Recruiter
    4x Simian Spirit Guide
    2x Phyrexian Revoker
    2x Magus of the Moon
    1x Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

Other
    4x Blood Moon
    1x Ensnaring Bridge
    4x Lightning Bolt
    2x Red Elemental Blast
    4x Pyroblast
    3x Sensei's Divining Top
    2x Lotus Petal
    1x Chrome Mox
    4x Grindstone

Sideboard
    2x Ensnaring Bridge
    2x Grafdigger's Cage
    4x Thorn of Amethyst
    1x Manic Vandal
    3x Pyrokinesis
    1x Shattering Spree
    2x Koth of the Hammer

I'm not at all arguing the strength and resiliency (Spell check, anyone?) of the S-Cake version, but if I had the chance to go to GP New Jersey in November.... I wouldn't change a damn thing, and I would play the living hell out of all the fair decks :D
    I have been playing with this Mono-Red deck till I get better at painter. At this time, I can see that mono red has less silver bullets/explosive but is more consistent esp with mana issues and dead cards. I have been doing some changes with the SB and a few main deck creatures. still a little underwhelm by spellskite and jsut recplaced him with Grim. Thought Grim is a good weenies clearer. Still a little underwhelm with Koth to be honest. Its very borderline in the MB. But it shines in some match up like miracles etc. I have 3 magus as i am seeing alot of greedy mana bases again. I been reducing welder as it just cant stick around! I guess people seem to fear it even more then painter! But I love it when it sticks... And I guess one less bolt or swords for the painter cannot hurt. I have also used 20 lands as I really hate to be mana screwed. I prefer bridges to be in the SB, but I guess on some days, I may interchange a bolt or 2 for bridges or even pyrokinesis (Did I say this is a star card?) Against, elves, delvers, even infect decks and goblins... its a great card to have. Works even better with painter on red against some blue decks.

4 Painter's Servant
    4 Imperial Recruiter
    1 Goblin Welder
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Jaya Ballard, Task Mage
    4 Blood Moon
    3 Magus of the Moon
    4 Grindstone
    3 Sensei's Divining Top
    3 Pyroblast
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    3 Great Furnace
    1 Arid Mesa
    1 Koth of the Hammer
    3 Lightning Bolt
    6 Mountain
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Wooded Foothills
    1 Grim Lavamancer

1 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Manic Vandal
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    4 Thorn of Amethyst
    1 Shattering Spree
    4 Pyrokinesis
    2 Ensnaring Bridge

So I've gone with a very heavy white sideboard for several weeks now and have been loving it. It feels like it gives a strong backup to our main plan.

4 leyline of sanctity (storm, burn, heavy discard)

3 SFM
    1 jitte
    1 batterskull
    (Good in so many matchups, including miracles)

3 RIP
    1 Helm of Obedience
    (Graveyard/Goyf decks, alt win)

1 heretic
    (Gotta have artifact removal)

1 Bridge
    (Duh)

I've really liked the SB so far.

My main 60 is still straight forward Rw for 2 eTutors.

Any ideas on improving the OmniTell matchup? I run 7 Blasts and 4 Thorns side, but that's not enough. Always sooooo close, but the clock just isn't fast enough, and assembling a 3 card combo without cantrips is about impossible. Half tempted to side one Eidolon. Would be good against STorm too.

Sep 2010
    Monterey Park, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Lysandros View Post
    Any ideas on improving the OmniTell matchup? I run 7 Blasts and 4 Thorns side, but that's not enough. Always sooooo close, but the clock just isn't fast enough, and assembling a 3 card combo without cantrips is about impossible. Half tempted to side one Eidolon. Would be good against STorm too.
    I think Spirit of the Labyrinth would be pretty sick against that deck. It can be E-tutored, stops their combo out and it's a decent beater. I would definitely add it to my SB but there isn't much people playing OmniTell in my area.
    Looking for Chinese cards to complete my legacy decks....hit me up!!!

Check out what I have for trades

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Quote Originally Posted by NathanS2k View Post
    I think Spirit of the Labyrinth would be pretty sick against that deck. It can be E-tutored, stops their combo out and it's a decent beater. I would definitely add it to my SB but there isn't much people playing OmniTell in my area.

That, or Ethersworn Canonist is pretty good against them as well as long as you can get it out fast enough. I agree though, the matchup is a little rough. If they didn't have the one Emrakul in their deck it wouldn't be so bad; but the fact that they already have auto anti-combo for us makes it really tough.

Oct 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by jake556 View Post
    Wouldn't have it any other way :D

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

Wouldn't have it any other way :D

Oct 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by jandax View Post
    haha :D

I dont know who else here plays this deck in MODO, but Shardless has spiked recently nad I couldnt be happier.

A slower deck with lots of blue, a greedy manabase, and no Daze to play around? Sounds good to me.

Yesterday i finish my imperial Painter just in time to use it in a mini Legacy side event in the Khans of Tarkir ptq here in Buenos Aires, Argentina, i was buying the cards for this deck, but never test it with the Recruiters ( i play it a long time ago with blue, when Painter's servant was released ).
    12 guys, top 4, short "tournament" :P

1 Round vs BUG delver 2-0
    2 Round vs 12 post 2-0 ( Moon effects rulez!)
    3 Round vs Dark Maverick 2-0 ( Really thought match, stp, abrupt decays, qasali pridmages, but again, moon effect rulez! :D )
    4 and last round vs UW Stoneblade 1-2 in a super extrange games, last game i lost to a Snapcaster pumped by Elspeth, knight errant, in my other turn i was able to kill him :/

Fun games, i finish 1rst, got some boosters, but the good thing is the test! :D , i play this list.

4 Painter's Servant
    4 Imperial Recruiter
    3 Simian Spirit Guide
    3 Goblin Welder
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Magus of the Moon
    1 Jaya Ballard, task mage

4 Blood moon ( Foreign bb japanese yaaay! :D )
    4 Grindstone
    3 Sensei's Divinging Top
    3 Pyroblast
    3 Red Elemental Blast
    2 Lotus Petal
    2 Enlightened Tutor
    2 Ensnaring Bridge

4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    2 Plateau
    2 Arid Mesa
    2 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Wooded Foothills
    1 Great Furnace
    4 Mountains

Sideboard:

3 Firebolt
    1 Pyrokinesis
    2 Rest in Peace
    1 Helm of Obedience
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Magus of the Moon
    1 Trinisphere
    1 Ratchet Bomb
    1 Manic Vandal
    1 Pyroblast
    1 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Koth of the Hammer

I really don't feel necesary the white splash, i use 1 tutor in the 12 post game for a Revoker to stop his Sensei top, but other games the tutors was a dead card in hand under moon effect, and never cast a white card in side, so i think i go test a couple of lightning bolts in maindeck.

ps: Sorry for my bad english :D

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

Sounds like Moon rules in those matchups, and if that's what you personally could expect at any given gig, why not run more Magus MD instead of Bolts?

Quote Originally Posted by jandax View Post
    Sounds like Moon rules in those matchups, and if that's what you personally could expect at any given gig, why not run more Magus MD instead of Bolts?
    Yeah, but i think a spot removal maindeck is necessary, turn one Delver or Deathrite Shaman hurts, and in the "aggro mode" can be usefull "to da face", but again, u just don't know yet, maybe -2 tutor + 1 magus +1 simian spirit guide, or the Lightning bolts path.

The thing with Death and Taxes though is that with Aether Vial it can just run off of colorless mana sources and Vial and win games. Paying four mana to destroy one or two Plains is rather meh. It's not like you're really stopping their board with what's already in play.

Now, Anarchy on the other hand...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Keller View Post
    The thing with Death and Taxes though is that with Aether Vial it can just run off of colorless mana sources and Vial and win games. Paying four mana to destroy one or two Plains is rather meh. It's not like you're really stopping their board with what's already in play.

Now, Anarchy on the other hand...
    Painter naming white+Anarchy... OMG! XD

Quote Originally Posted by Wincheee View Post
    Painter naming white+Anarchy... OMG! XD
    = karn ultimate
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    I can't wait to fetch for Tropical, ponder and then kill them on my second turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysandros View Post
    I've played this matchup quite a bit. If you learn nothing else from this post, learn this: stop trying to do a 3-card combo. It's much too slow and the gameplan is completely ineffective. Side out your moons and your grindstones, and bring in everything you can - I'll bet that you don't have 8 cards which are immediately applicable, but I'm sure a lot of stuff has splash value.

Your plan has two key elements. The first is to slow the opponent down and just be annoying. The second is to get Jaya into play ASAP. Once you get Jaya into play, you have the freedom to develop other game plans which might seem too slow or simply not great. That's ok. Jaya by herself is enough of an issue to buy you a lot of time.

As I mentioned, the other part of your game plan is to simply be annoying as you can. Thorn of amethyst and ethersworn canonist excel at this, but you have more you can be doing. Using your REBs on Brainstorm and Ponder can be quite effective (plus if your opponent is playing defense grid, you're not going no to want to try to keep up double REB at all times anyway). Another thing you can do is to go even more all-in on plan Jaya - after you get her into play, try to get a Painter into play and start blasting lands. That deck never wants to have more than 4 land in play, so it can be easy to lock them out of a game this way (especially with Thorn).

Play Jaya, be annoying, and don't try to combo.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

I would not be siding my Moons out against Omnishow, at lest not all of them. They often need to see as many cards as they can. Drop a Moon, kill their Fetches and then hammer on the Ponders. Do not let them shuffle and watch them play an honest game of magic.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    I would not be siding my Moons out against Omnishow, at lest not all of them. They often need to see as many cards as they can. Drop a Moon, kill their Fetches and then hammer on the Ponders. Do not let them shuffle and watch them play an honest game of magic.
    I like that honest game of magic comment! I sometimes get "scolded" for not playing a honest game of magic when i play Painter!

Thread Information