Page 187 of 258 FirstFirst ... 87137177183184185186187188189190191197237 ... LastLast
Results 3,721 to 3,740 of 5144

Thread: [Deck] Imperial Painter

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

[Deck] Imperial Painter

So I don't know how many of you guys play on MTGO, but Eldrazi and 12-post decks are EVERYWHERE right now. I actually think this is a relatively good matchup for us specifically due to Blood Moon. Shutting off their colorless lands makes it very difficult for them to cast many of their spells. Definitely a good time to up your counts on Magus and enlightened tutor....just sayin'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

Re: [Deck] Imperial Painter

But Dannnn then all my enlightened tutors are dead cards under blood moon 😔
    Strawberry Shortcake

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...erry-Shortcake

What a brainstorm do? Draw card and activate on draw effects fix hand, removing woods
    #FreeNedleeds

1 off basic plains for the win :-)

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

^^this

Been running 4 arid mesa, 1 plains and 4 mountain and have not looked back. Just play the shortcake mana base with a plains as the 5th fetch.

Quote Originally Posted by drude1 View Post
    So I don't know how many of you guys play on MTGO, but Eldrazi and 12-post decks are EVERYWHERE right now. I actually think this is a relatively good matchup for us specifically due to Blood Moon. Shutting off their colorless lands makes it very difficult for them to cast many of their spells. Definitely a good time to up your counts on Magus and enlightened tutor....just sayin'.

1. This is why I run Rest in Peace main.
    2. This is why I shifted to two Revokers main: for the added incidental ability to shut down artifact mana resources.
    3. It's also the reason I've kept a basic Plains in the deck to operate under Blood Moon.
    4. Let them mulligan aggressively for Chalice if they desire. Just smash them with dudes.

This match-up really is simple for this deck, guys. The deck can just shut them down with Moon, lock them out with Ensnaring Bridge or Blast their relevant spells and attack them out. Keep Painter protected against Warping Wail when Blood Moon isn't on the table and you're good to go.

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

[Deck] Imperial Painter

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n Cook View Post
    But Dannnn then all my enlightened tutors are dead cards under blood moon
    I think irony is lost in translation on these boards

Or another reason to play mox opals!!!

In my local meta Shardless is becoming so popular. I just giggle so hard when I take this deck out when they are expecting me to be on Reanimator that day. Once they see the turn 1 blood moons they just groan.

Since I'm on Shortcake Painter, I have both RIP+Helm. I do admit I board out my welders when I go on this plan. If the Eldrazi decks pick up, I'll probably go to 3 MD Ensnaring Bridges.

Jan 2014
    Vancouver, Canada

I must have missed this one: http://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/370027#paper

Yet another top 8 for Suarez. Obviously working with SCG allows for you to attend more than most but I think that no one has put up more top 8s with painter than anyone over the last 3 or 4 years.

Overall a fairly solid list. A nod to the one maindeck Plains, something I think a lot of us have been doing as well.

The scab clan in the board is a strong choice for additional storm hate. Even durdelly deck with eldrazi.

If you were new to painter or looking for a good starting point this is the list I would run.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

First daily for me in a long long time today. Managed to go 4-0 today vs Burn, Truckis on Miracles, Shardless, and Patriot Delver. Playing my list from the front page. Main thing is no alt. cons. Just grind the value, play to strengths.

Brendan the only thing I'll say is that I wish I was able to play as many events as Jonathan. I've talked to him a few times at starcity's about Painter, always a good time. I definitely believe that if I played as many events I for sure would have more top 8s. I've certainly had a fair number since switching to shortcake end of 2013. Seth would be proud of the progress since as of mid-late 2013 basically no one besides he or I were shortcaking.

Not to take away from his finishes, I just know that there are some events where we were both at where I top 8d and he only finished top 32 or 16. To be fair, that was mono-red, and since then I've talked to him about Shortcake and he agrees it is better.

Not to diminish from painter, I just think that there are more than 1 optimal starting list for new players. I certainly look forward to painting in Philly end of February. Who else will be there?
    Strawberry Shortcake

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...erry-Shortcake

What a brainstorm do? Draw card and activate on draw effects fix hand, removing woods
    #FreeNedleeds

bruizar

This deck is super well positioned to beat eldrazi...

Top 8'ed again at Mythic Games' monthly 2K with IP. List and report to follow.

Jan 2014
    Vancouver, Canada

Painter top 8'd MKM 2016 Milan before losing to grixis delver. He played sudden shock side as a nod to miracles. I think we have been having a lot of success with pyrokinesis in the grixis matchup though.

Jack and seth, I fully understand the breath and experience you both have had with the deck and meant no offence. As I mentioned john does get a lot more opportunities than the average painter player. Also, many events we win are not well reported.

Also, regarding the lists lately. I am with you Jack - no alternative wincons. When in doubt just beat them down. At GP seatac I had two opponents refuse to scope because they believed I couldn't kill them (creatures or combo)- both were disappointed, although it can take time. So play fast and don't give them an out.

Testing wise:
    1. One Plains
    2. Maindeck Swords to Plowshares
    3. Maindeck rest in peace
    4. Configuration of burn
    5. Plan against burn
    6. Concrete plan against miracles

Are all worthy of consideration right now.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mcbain; 02-07-2016 at 10:02 PM.

I will be in Philly. Painting away still trying to streamline the list may just switch to exact 75 you are on Jack.

Ran my scarecrows again in Mythic Games' monthly 2K Legacy event yesterday. There were 53 people, for a total of six rounds.

Here was the list I ran:

4x Painter's Servant
    4x Grindstone
    3x Red Elemental Blast
    4x Pyroblast
    4x Imperial Recruiter
    4x Blood Moon
    2x Enlightened Tutor
    2x Phyrexian Revoker
    2x Goblin Welder
    1x Magus of the Moon
    1x Jaya Ballard, Task Mage
    2x Sensei's Divining Top
    2x Ensnaring Bridge
    2x Lotus Petal
    3x Simian Spirit Guide
    4x Mountain
    4x Ancient Tomb
    3x City of Traitors
    4x Arid Mesa
    2x Great Furnace
    2x Plateau
    1x Plains

//Sideboard
    3x Pyrokinesis
    3x Leyline of Sanctity
    1x Warmth
    1x Rule of Law
    1x Rest in Peace
    1x Faerie Macabre
    1x Tormod's Crypt
    2x Thorn of Amethyst
    1x Viashino Heretic
    1x Sphere of Law

A few notes:

1. I shifted the Rest in Peace to the board, as I wanted to alleviate the overhead for white cards main.
    2. I moved the Simian Spirit Guides back in, which was huge all day.
    3. Rule of Law was supposed to be an Ethersworn Canonist, but I am still waiting on getting mine back from Japan and couldn't locate a spare before the event.
    4. Viashino Heretic will become Duergar-Hedge Mage. I don't like that you're forced to wait a turn with Heretic, and I've seen this become a liability several times.
    5. Warmth will become Burrenton Forge-Tender, and Sphere of Law will become Worship. I want to test the cohesion these cards bring to the table. Sphere of Law may find its way back in, but I'm still on the fence.
    6. Not sure yet where the second Rest in Peace will come into play, but it will likely replace the Faerie Macabre.

Here were the match-ups I faced:

Round 1 vs. Young Frankenstein [U/b/r Pyromancer-Reanimator]: W 2-1
    MVP: Blood Moon

Round 2 vs. R/b Goblins: W 2-0
    MVP(s): Painter-Grindstone

Round 3 vs. Grixis Delver: W 2-1
    MVP: Goblin Welder

Round 4 vs. Elves: W 2-0
    MVP(s): Ensnaring Bridge-Phyrexian Revoker, Painter-Pyroblast

Round 5 vs. Shardless BUG: L 1-2
    MVP: Blood Moon

Round 6: ID

Quarterfinals vs. U/R Pyromancer: L 1-2
    MVP: Imperial Recruiter (powerful redundancy)

A few things I'm entertaining, likely at weekly events:

1. Some number of Warping Wail in the 75 paired with one or two added colorless resources, possibly Crystal Vein as an accelerator and enabler for Wail. (Yes, I understand it still gets locked off with Blood Moon in play, but if you've resolved a Blood Moon in the first place, chances are it's more important to stick it than play the control game with Wail.)
    2. I would also entertain Battlefield Forge in that instance, but the additional damage from Tombs and fetches would definitely add up. I'm not sure how this would shake down, but I'd still have to see. I've also been looking at Blasted Landscape as a colorless resource for Wail and draw resource under Blood Moon, but I'm not sure on this, either.
    3. I like the seven Blasts and feel it's the perfect number at present time.
    4. Shifting SSG back in was huge all day, paying for Dazes, dropping turn-one Moons and Blasting spells unexpectedly.
    5. Worship has been a card I've been testing online and like it a lot. With Forge-Tender it's a lock against Burn, which I like with Leyline of Sanctity.
    6. Speaking of Forge-Tender, this guy may at some point find his way into the deck as a two-of. What a house. There were tims all day I was thinking about how he would have single-handedly held off Pyromancer attacks and, in turn, saved Painter for the win in the quarterfinals game three match. Lightning Bolt is ubiquitous in Legacy, and to protect a card like Painter's Servant with it is absolutely huge to protect your combo.
    7. I like the diversification of graveyard hate, and I do believe that Rest in Peace is arguably the best out there. A two-one split between those and Crypt seems ideal. Faerie is good and gives you some blowout, non-stack interaction, but I'm not sure. A part of me like being able to fetch up graveyard hate with Imperial Recruiter and my Enlightened Tutors, so I'm still on the fence about that.
    8. Pyrokinesis is baked into the board as a three-of, and likely never leaving that spot. It's too powerful and shores up some tricky match-ups like Death and Taxes where it's a complete blowout.
    9. I added a fourth fetch, which was huge all day. I liked being able to hit the basic Plains when I needed to, and rarely got stuck for white.

Overall, the list felt solid and like I was in the driver's seat all day. I'll keep everyone posted on the changes and see how they play out.

Jul 2015
    Tri-state Area

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Keller View Post
    Ran my scarecrows again in Mythic Games' monthly 2K Legacy event yesterday. There were 53 people, for a total of six rounds.

1. Some number of Warping Wail in the 75 paired with one or two added colorless resources, possibly Crystal Vein as an accelerator and enabler for Wail. (Yes, I understand it still gets locked off with Blood Moon in play, but if you've resolved a Blood Moon in the first place, chances are it's more important to stick it than play the control game with Wail.)
    2. I would also entertain Battlefield Forge in that instance, but the additional damage from Tombs and fetches would definitely add up. I'm not sure how this would shake down, but I'd still have to see. I've also been looking at Blasted Landscape as a colorless resource for Wail and draw resource under Blood Moon, but I'm not sure on this, either.
    I mean, we're already running 7 lands that can cast a Warping Wail all on their own. Do we really need more colorless sources?

Hi guys, saturday i make top8 in MkM series in Milan.......... Ill post a little report soon.

http://series.magiccardmarket.eu/cov...n-2016-legacy/

PAINTER Michele Bacci
    DECK:
    2 Ensnaring Bridge
    4 Grindstone
    3 Lotus Petal
    2 Sensei's Divining Top
    2 Goblin Welder
    4 Imperial Recruiter
    1 Jaya Ballard, Task Mage
    2 Magus of the Moon
    4 Painter's Servant
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Blood Moon
    1 Enlightened Tutor
    4 Pyroblast
    3 Red Elemental Blast
    4 Ancient Tomb
    2 Arid Mesa
    3 City of Traitors
    1 Great Furnace
    4 Mountain
    2 Plateau
    3 Wooded Foothills
    1 Koth of the Hammer
    SIDEBOARD:
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Thorn of Amethyst
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Manic Vandal
    1 Vexing Shusher
    1 Red Elemental Blast
    4 Sudden Shock
    1 Chandra, Flamecaller
    1 Koth of the Hammer

Quote Originally Posted by tired_papasmurf View Post
    I mean, we're already running 7 lands that can cast a Warping Wail all on their own. Do we really need more colorless sources?
    I really don't like having to resign myself to taking two points of damage casting it. I know City can without trouble, but I was just considering adding a single non-conditional colorless resource - with some possible added utility - to absorb the colorless requirement.

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Quote Originally Posted by ORDAL View Post
    Hi guys, saturday i make top8 in MkM series in Milan.......... Ill post a little report soon.

http://series.magiccardmarket.eu/cov...n-2016-legacy/

PAINTER Michele Bacci
    DECK:
    2 Ensnaring Bridge
    4 Grindstone
    3 Lotus Petal
    2 Sensei's Divining Top
    2 Goblin Welder
    4 Imperial Recruiter
    1 Jaya Ballard, Task Mage
    2 Magus of the Moon
    4 Painter's Servant
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Blood Moon
    1 Enlightened Tutor
    4 Pyroblast
    3 Red Elemental Blast
    4 Ancient Tomb
    2 Arid Mesa
    3 City of Traitors
    1 Great Furnace
    4 Mountain
    2 Plateau
    3 Wooded Foothills
    1 Koth of the Hammer
    SIDEBOARD:
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Thorn of Amethyst
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Manic Vandal
    1 Vexing Shusher
    1 Red Elemental Blast
    4 Sudden Shock
    1 Chandra, Flamecaller
    1 Koth of the Hammer
    I'm a little surprised by all the Planeswalkers in the list. Did you ever get to cast Chandra? What match-ups do you bring her in on?

Quote Originally Posted by drude1 View Post
    I'm a little surprised by all the Planeswalkers in the list. Did you ever get to cast Chandra? What match-ups do you bring her in on?

Hi, the reason for all planeswalkers is simply for miracle, in italy we have so much miracle players. i Come from top8 at nebraska war in december more 300 players (judge squalified me for nothing) so im not in official top8. At nebraska war i played assemble the legion in the slot of chandra and played vs 3 miracles in swiss.
    I play Koth main deck beacuse give me another way to win the game and is sweet vs miracle by game 1.

This is the swiss of Mkm Series: (srry for the bad english and the fast report but im writng at work this)

ROUND 1 vs ENCHANTRESS 2-0 W

G1: i won the dice and i put blood moon on turn 1, btw he put forest and play Utopia Sprawl on it.
    i play turn 2 sensei diving top and that help me a lot because the game go in lock very fast. i have 2 bridge in the play, and he played a enchantment never saw before, thatn enchantment counter all non creature spell and his controller put X 1/1 token with fly where X is the mana cost of that spell.
    Btw i search for the jaya with sensei and gristone and he not have answer.
    G2: dont remeber very well, but koth emblem take the game

ROUND2 vs DEATH AND TAXES 0-2 L

G1 thalia lock me and i cant play nothing to contrast him
    G2 i have to mulligan to 5 and waste + rishandan outplayed me

ROUND 3 vs DEATH AND TAXES 2-1 W

G1 he tapped out on turn 2 for stoneforge and i combo him fast
    G2 i lose vs 3 revokers calls: my sensei, grindstone and welder
    G3 i play turn 1 blood moon and Lmfo killed him, then show me karakas waste and rishadan,,,,,

ROUND 4 vs ABZAN 2-1 W

G1: he start with bayou and shaman. i put blood moon on first turn and killed him
    G2: 3 goyf killed me fast
    G3: 2 bridge on the play help my koth to kill him

ROUND 5 vs SNEAK AND SHOW 2-0

I saw him play sneak atatck the turn before vs my friend

G1: i mulligan to 6 and i keep with the scry bridge on top. he start with island, preordain go. i can start with ancient and revoker... i think that was a fairplay move, btw i say to him i have to play like that because i saw him before. So i decide to go on revoker and call Sneak Attack. 2 turn after he played a gitaxian probe and saw my hand with 2 rebs and bridge and concede the game
    G2: i cut out all combo (painters+grindstone) for bring in my planswalker, Ethersworn Canonist , Thorn of Amethyst and third bridge. btw he steel on screw with 2 lands and my creatures kill him after a pyroclasm.

ROUND 6 vs MIRACLE Angelo Cadei (Wiki)

i know him, and he's absolutely the top player of miracle after Philipp Schönegger and Thomas Vlcek, are all friends.

G1 he was very unluck: i play plateau go. He played sesnei go and EoT i played tutor for grindstone.
    i play servant with ancient and always open for reb the CC. btw the turn after i play grindstone and try active the gombo after his draw, and i won
    G2 dont remember very well all the game, btw i go on cc+top and i try to play around but jave final kill me.
    G3 i make very fast pressure with creatures, and i go low with life for my ancient tomb, btw his life go down very fast for my creatures. dont remember right played but i try to play combo 2 times and third game go on for his little mistake

ROUND 7 ID

First round of top 8 i lose from grixis delver where i cant make nothing in 2 games

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Quote Originally Posted by ORDAL View Post
    Hi, the reason for all planeswalkers is simply for miracle, in italy we have so much miracle players. i Come from top8 at nebraska war in december more 300 players (judge squalified me for nothing) so im not in official top8. At nebraska war i played assemble the legion in the slot of chandra and played vs 3 miracles in swiss.
    I play Koth main deck beacuse give me another way to win the game and is sweet vs miracle by game 1.

This is the swiss of Mkm Series: (srry for the bad english and the fast report but im writng at work this)

ROUND 1 vs ENCHANTRESS 2-0 W

G1: i won the dice and i put blood moon on turn 1, btw he put forest and play Utopia Sprawl on it.
    i play turn 2 sensei diving top and that help me a lot because the game go in lock very fast. i have 2 bridge in the play, and he played a enchantment never saw before, thatn enchantment counter all non creature spell and his controller put X 1/1 token with fly where X is the mana cost of that spell.
    Btw i search for the jaya with sensei and gristone and he not have answer.
    G2: dont remeber very well, but koth emblem take the game

ROUND2 vs DEATH AND TAXES 0-2 L

G1 thalia lock me and i cant play nothing to contrast him
    G2 i have to mulligan to 5 and waste + rishandan outplayed me

ROUND 3 vs DEATH AND TAXES 2-1 W

G1 he tapped out on turn 2 for stoneforge and i combo him fast
    G2 i lose vs 3 revokers calls: my sensei, grindstone and welder
    G3 i play turn 1 blood moon and Lmfo killed him, then show me karakas waste and rishadan,,,,,

ROUND 4 vs ABZAN 2-1 W

G1: he start with bayou and shaman. i put blood moon on first turn and killed him
    G2: 3 goyf killed me fast
    G3: 2 bridge on the play help my koth to kill him

ROUND 5 vs SNEAK AND SHOW 2-0

I saw him play sneak atatck the turn before vs my friend

G1: i mulligan to 6 and i keep with the scry bridge on top. he start with island, preordain go. i can start with ancient and revoker... i think that was a fairplay move, btw i say to him i have to play like that because i saw him before. So i decide to go on revoker and call Sneak Attack. 2 turn after he played a gitaxian probe and saw my hand with 2 rebs and bridge and concede the game
    G2: i cut out all combo (painters+grindstone) for bring in my planswalker, Ethersworn Canonist , Thorn of Amethyst and third bridge. btw he steel on screw with 2 lands and my creatures kill him after a pyroclasm.

ROUND 6 vs MIRACLE Angelo Cadei (Wiki)

i know him, and he's absolutely the top player of miracle after Philipp Schönegger and Thomas Vlcek, are all friends.

G1 he was very unluck: i play plateau go. He played sesnei go and EoT i played tutor for grindstone.
    i play servant with ancient and always open for reb the CC. btw the turn after i play grindstone and try active the gombo after his draw, and i won
    G2 dont remember very well all the game, btw i go on cc+top and i try to play around but jave final kill me.
    G3 i make very fast pressure with creatures, and i go low with life for my ancient tomb, btw his life go down very fast for my creatures. dont remember right played but i try to play combo 2 times and third game go on for his little mistake

ROUND 7 ID

First round of top 8 i lose from grixis delver where i cant make nothing in 2 games
    So, most people who play Miracles in the states are now on the Mentor/heavy creature version of the deck so I think most painter players over here have largely given up on Koth. Sounds like it was still pretty successful for you though. Sounds like you never played the Chandra. She seems so good (heavy damage, card draw and synergy with welder and great creature removal) but so expensive.

Thread Information