Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Deck] BRx Dragon Combo- Evolution

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

[Deck] BRx Dragon Combo- Evolution

I've been testing this deck for quite a while now. It functions similarly to BR Reanimator but I haven't posted a real thread for the deck until I had enough testing. Anyways I think this deck is extremely powerful in the metagame since the Deathrite banning. Here's the list I've been tweaking and what I settled on.

I've piloted this deck to multiple 1st place weeklies and a couple monthly victories as well. The deck feels extremely smooth and powerful/underlooked I feel.

4x Griselbrand
    4x Dance of the dead
    4x Animate dead
    4x Reanimate
    4x Unmask
    4x Entomb
    4x Dark Ritual
    4x Lotus Petal
    4x Collective Brutality
    3x Worldgorger Dragon
    1x Oona, Queen of the Fae
    4x Grief

4x Gier Reach Sanitarium
    3x Piranha Marsh
    9x Swamp

4x Cabal Therapy
    4x Feed the Swarm
    4x Rotting Regisaur
    2x EE
    1x Vilis

Updated as of 9/28/21

So basically what we're trying to do here is get WGD or Griselbrand into the yard via discard or Entomb then bring back with enchantment effects. Sunscorched Desert and Piranha Marsh instantly end the game on a Dragon loop. Oona is there strictly if you have already made your land drop for the turn you combo with Dragon then Entomb for Oona. Ideally you want to Reanimate Griselbrand first...draw 14 then Combo off the same turn and kill them via Dragon loop.

Some card expanation choices:

Petal: Enables a first turn combo a pretty decent amount of the time. Great to draw off Griselbrand
    Dark Ritual: Turbo Enabler in the deck. Absolutely vital to what this deck wants to do.
    Griselbrand: Arguably the best animation target in the game aside from Dragon :D
    Worldgorger Dragon: The combo enabler...a card that will immediately end the game upon animation.
    Oona, Queen of the Fae: This card is vital to being able to combo when you already made your land drop for the turn. Also lets us win through Blood Moon.
    Animate Dead/Dance of the Dead: Neccessary combo pieces to bring back Dragon. 1/2 the combo.
    Necromancy: I was running this card as a 2 of but I felt one was suited better and less clunky. Good instant speed combo enabler.
    Entomb: 1 mana Tutor for your combo creatures seems decent and broken.
    Piranha Marsh: Where it's unfortunate this land comes into play tapped...it produces black mana and does enabler the combo. I will admit it's my least favorite card in the deck... but it's a neccessary evil.
    Sunscorched Desert: Comes into untapped. Loops via Dragon for immediate death
    Badlands: Dual lands are neat. Neccessary for Lootings
    Gemstone Mine: Rainbow Land that resets on each Dragon Loop. Great card for our sideboard that allows us to have any colored mana on the first turn.
    Swamp: I'm at 2 basic swamps atm...I feel that's correct. It's good to play around Wasteland.
    Unmask: Free discard or combo enabler. An absolute must as a 4 of.
    Cabal Therapy: Arguable the best card in the deck. You always want to sacrifice your Griselbrand after drawing 14 to it if you can combo off that turn. Very powerful Discard Spell and combo enabler.
    Faithless Looting: This card is awesome and sometimes frustrating to play. But it's Necessary in Reanimator decks.

Sideboard is up to the user really but I found Assassin's Trophy and Nature's Claim to be absolutely stellar additions.

I'll most a quick matchup reference for anyone curious

Stax: Favorable 60/40: Winning the die roll here is almost a garunteed g1 victory. G2 and G3 we get a ton of artifact and enchantment removal. I have never had much trouble with this MU.

Delver: Slightly Unfavorable 45/55: This MU is tough. If you have alot of permission to go with a fast clock you will have a hard time. You need to be patient and fetch out basics if they're on a Wasteland variant

Grixis Control: Favorable 55/45: I've found this matchup to for sure be in our favor. If they dont draw a turn 2 Hymn followed up with a Thoughtseize we generally will get there. Play around Surgical g2/g3

Elves: Favorable 75/25: I don't think Elves can possibly beat this deck. It's essentially a goldfish. Bring in ways to play around surgical g2/g3. And removal for Ooze.

Miracles: Even 50/50: I find g1 to definitely go in the Dragon players favor. g2/g3 Are a bit harder because of Snapcaster/Surgical bring in your pact of Negations to fight them.

Turbo Lands: Favorable 60/40: I find this matchup to be abyssal for Turbo Lands. We are just too fast for them. Their best hope is a turn 2 combo with multiple thoughtseize effects.

Death's Shadow: Unfavorable 40/60: I find this MU to be the hardest for Dragon. Between maindeck Reanimates...Thoughtseize plus a very fast clock it is a very difficult MU to play through. Hope to avoid this MU.

D&T(Death and Taxes) Favorable 55/45: G1 we almost have a fairly garunteed victory here. Karakas doesn't do anything here and you just have to Therapy swords for dragon basically. Be careful of Vial on Flickwisp to disrupt the combo.

Sneak and Show Favorable 55/45: Basically try to discard their Griselbrand via Unmask or Therapy and bring it back. We are a turn or two faster and Show/Tell for them is really bad.

Storm Favorable 60/40: We are a turn or two faster on average. We can destroy their hand with Therapy and Unmask. I find this MU to be comfortable for Dragon

BR Reanimator Even 50/50: Win the die roll g1 is all I can say. Whoever is on the play generally will take game 1 due to the explosiveness of both decks. Chancellor is a bit of an annoyance but it's not impossible. In general I'd say this matchups a coin flip.

Let me know what you guys think and thanks for reading!

-Rood
    Last edited by Rood; 09-28-2021 at 08:01 PM.
    UR Dreadstill creator and BRx WGD Combo Pioneer
    Quote Originally Posted by xsockmonkeyx View Post
    EDIT: and Roodmistah. If Dreadstill sucks then he's been mopping up the East Coast with a "crap" deck and making you all look bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
    "Protection from player" is like a joke ability from Unglued. Ban this crap from legacy asap.

Re: [Deck] BRx Dragon Combo- Evolution

I've been playing the WGD combo a bit recently as well, but in mono-black with some true jank. Your deck looks like it plays the BR Reanimator plan. Mine plays more like... Amulet Titan? but with hand disruption. We're also looking to win off of one of the 2 lands that ping the opponent. But we only play 2. Most of the time this involves milling ourselves with the loop until we hit Sun Titan. We target Sun Titan instead of WGD and with the Sun Titan trigger we grab another reanimation aura to target WGD. On the following loop we get back one of the lands for the kill. I only play one of each of those lands because of their drawbacks. Entering tapped / producing only colorless is really bad for us on turn 1, especially with no Lotus Petals or Moxen.
    Although turn 1 wins are possible, I usually play it slow with this deck, making sure the coast is clear, playing on my opponent's end step.

List:
    2 Worldgorger Dragon
    1 Sun Titan
    1 Rune-Scarred Demon
    1 Doom Whisperer
    4 Stitcher's Supplier
    4 Street Wraith
    1 Rotting Rats
    1 Whisper Agent

4 Animate Dead
    2 Dance of the Dead
    2 Necromancy
    1 Dread Return
    1 Reanimate

4 Entomb
    4 Mausoleum Secrets <--MVP

4 Cabal Therapy
    2 Duress <--I don't own any Thoughtseize

4 Dark Ritual
    1 Geier Reach Sanitarium
    1 Piranha Marsh
    1 Sunscorched Desert
    14 Swamp <--Suck it Wasteland/Back to Basics/Blood Moon

I'm still working on the SB, but it should probably contain some number of Pact of Negation, Ratchet Bomb(?), and I'd like to try Slaughter Pact as well.

Mausoleum Secrets / Entomb are awesome and what the deck is built around. Also, both are instants.
    Whisper Agent this jank has flash.
    Necromancy can be played at instant speed.

Doom Whisperer should probably be Griselbrand but I don't own any. On the bright side, it is castable, dodges Karakas, and 2 life is easier to pay than 7.

Once we have the WGD loop going there are so many lines to get a kill land on the table.

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

Cool take on the deck. I have considered Secrets but it does require you to play with lackluster cards like Street Wraith. Any reason on not playing the full set of Dances? I feel like it's strictly better then Dread here. Also I would definitely invest in Griselbrands they are relatively cheap and end the game immediately off bringing one back. Thanks for the ideas! Cool to see a Stitcher list. I like the interaction it has with Dragon loop and it allows you to play with just 1 Ping land if you're looping him for Titan. One of the major cards missing from your list is Unmask. I feel like that's the best card in the deck personally myself...I would replace Duress with them at the very least.
    EDIT: and Roodmistah. If Dreadstill sucks then he's been mopping up the East Coast with a "crap" deck and making you all look bad.
    "Protection from player" is like a joke ability from Unglued. Ban this crap from legacy asap.

Sep 2011

OP, I love your list. I think that's what BR Reanimator really wants to be. Dragon loop is such a great way to end the game.

Do you ever find the ETB tapped aspect of Pirahna Marsh or colorless Desert slows you down by one turn by reducing your colored mana availability? Are those numbers optimal for those lands? Have you tried other combinations? Are there any better lands?

I guess lands like Stensia Bloodhall and Shivan Gorge are even slower and more awkward.

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

The lands very rarely ever impact your manaflow though sometimes it does happen. Its why i play 19 lands.. you need to run more manasources in this deck because of the colorless lands. And yes i switched off typical RB Reanimator for this because if you get Griselbrand into play you may as well not pass the turn back. Also we dont care about Karakas very much if at all.

I don't own Unmask at the moment. I'd like to try it, but I'm not sure if. Thoughtseize would just be better for my version. Unmask just gets so much better with Gris.
    Dance is great, but I really want the second Necromancy for "flash", and Dread Return as an Entomb target. Plus, I like that DR isn't an enchantment, for those times that going for the loop would be suicide.

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Are there any better lands?

I guess lands like Stensia Bloodhall and Shivan Gorge are even slower and more awkward.
    Geier Reach Sanitarium is the only other land I would consider. It's loot effect effectively mills Oona into the bin for free. Only problem is postboard Surgical it's dangerous to combo off that way.

I played with this list in my last tournament:

2 Island
    1 Swamp
    1 Badlands
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Desolate Lighthouse
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Scalding Tarn
    3 Underground Sea
    2 Volcanic Island

4 Baleful Strix
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    1 Worldgorger Dragon
    1 Griselbrand

4 Animate Dead
    2 Necromancy
    4 Brainstorm
    1 Dismember
    4 Entomb
    3 Fatal Push
    4 Force of Will
    1 Stroke of Genius
    4 Ponder
    4 Thoughtseize

Sideboard

1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Grave Titan
    1 Grim Lavamancer
    1 Massacre Wurm
    1 Echoing Truth
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Kolaghan's Command
    1 Pyroblast
    1 Red Elemental Blast
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Liliana, the Last Hope
    1 Toxic Deluge

I got this list from a top32 in SCG, I just changed -1 Scalding Tarn +1 Thoughtseize.
    I played in a tournament of 39 players, and made the result of 4-0-2, and lost in the finals of the top8.
    A little report:

Round 1 - Elves (2-1)
    Game 1 I lost to the new elf with Glimpse inlaid. I could not find any parts of the combo, and I ended up showing only the "grixis control" part of the deck. In Game 2, my opponent thought I was in Grixis Control, and I easily fought Worldgorger + Animate Dead + Snapcaster Mage. In game 3 my opponent climbed the crane hates and abrut decays, but I managed to get around a surgical with a FoW, and he had no Decay at the moment, so I won again from Worldgorger + Animate Dead + Snapcaster Mage.
    Result: 1-0

Round 2 - Eldrazi & Taxes (2-1)
    Game 1 I lost for Displacer. Game 2 and 3 I turned the deck into a Grixis Control with large creatures (Massacre Wurm and Grave Titan), and Massacre Wurm win this two games.
    Result: 2-0

Round 3 - Czech Pile (2-1)
    In game 1 my opponent mulligan to 5, and I thought I was playing against a Grixis Control, so I did the combo for Worldgorger, with FoW in hand, but I ended up taking Abrupt Decay, and I lost the game. In game 2, I turned the deck into a Grixis Control again, and again, Massacre Wurm won the game by killing a TNN. In game 3, I came back some parts of the reanimator, and managed to revive a Griselbrand.
    Result: 3-0

Round 4 - Mono-Black Reanimator (2-1)
    I won Game 1 and 2 reanimating my opponent's Griselbrand, and lost Game 2 with him reviving before me.
    Result: 4-0

Round 5 - Goblins (ID)
    We gave ID but we played to see what the game would look like. I won Game 1 with Worldgorger, and turned the deck into Grixis Control in Game 2, and won again with Liliana.
    Result: 4-0-1

Round 6 - Storm (ID)
    We do not play.
    Result: 4-0-2

In the top 8 we had the following placement: Grixis Worldgorger (I), Eldrazi & Taxes (round 2), Goblins (round 5), Mono-Black Reanimator (round 4), Storm (round 6), Goblins (didnt play), Czech Pile (round 3) and Storm (did not play).
    So my key would be: I x Storm and Mono Black Reanimator x Storm

Top 8 - Storm (2-1)
    In game 1 I lost to Tendrils without finding any part of the combo. In game 2 I won with Worldgorger, and my opponent was surprised because he did not know the combo. In Game 3 I managed to undo his combo, and won with Worldgorger shortly after.

Top 4 - Mono Black Reanimator (Round 4) (2-1)
    Again I won games 1 and 3 reanimating a Griselbrand from my opponent, and lost Game 2 with him reanimating my Griselbrand.

Finals: Goblins (0-2)
    In Game 1 he started to attack with the creatures, and I had the combo in hand, but my opponent had a Karakas, so its bad try combo for Griselbrand, and Vial for 2 on the table, and it was obvious that my opponent had Stingscourger in hand. I did 3 Ponders and 2 Brainstorms to try to find a discard, but I failed. On my last round I tried to combo with Worldgorger and as expected, he used Stingscourger. In game 2 I tried to turn the deck into a Grixis Control, but the deck did not turn well, and my opponent managed to get around all my moves.

Final Result: Second place

I really love play with this deck, it's really fun and powerful. The best card in the deck is surprisingly the Desolate Lighthouse.

Impressive!
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

I like the interaction of Strix and Stitcher’s Supplier with Dragon loop. Therapy might be a good SB card since you run 7 2 drop creatures.

Hi everyone,
    I have grinded the dragon combo to hell and back.

I think the deck really needs something to somehow distinguish it from reanimator. As dragon is a 3 card combo and reanimator is 2 cards and usually wins on the spot anyway outside of some corner cases.

I think it can leverage necromancy more as this is one area that it has an advantage over reanimator. Since it can win at instant speed.
    Ive also considered splashing the white for a enlightened tutor package since you can tutor for half the combo. Stix would be good as well in this instance.
    White also allows slience which can be relevant because of how soft this deck is to removal .

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

I find bringing back Griselbrand shuts the door immediately in the game is immune to Karakas. Draw 14 is basically a wrap in my build. Reanimators main weakness has always been you have to pass the turn after combo. This deck deletes that weakness entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Rood View Post
    I find bringing back Griselbrand shuts the door immediately in the game is immune to Karakas. Draw 14 is basically a wrap in my build. Reanimators main weakness has always been you have to pass the turn after combo. This deck deletes that weakness entirely.
    I think that's also the case with regular reanimator. A quick Griselbrand is usually GG regardless of passing the turn or not. Yes there are corner cases where the opp is holding Karakas or you can't win via combat because of a bridge or something, but drawing 14 in any deck is hard to beat. I think in order to justify playing things like Pariana Marsh and Deserts +adding another piece to the combo there needs to by more than that 1 upside. I think felipe_tardoqui's idea is in the right direction, a deck that can grind it out, side into another deck, but also contains a oops I win reanimation package.

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

I know it's an extra mana but having Dance to not having to pay 8 life to bring back Griselbrand is also a huge advantage. a Garunteed draw 14 everytime is clutch...sometimes normal Reanimator can only draw 7 and pray they draw the right cards....being able to combo through flusterstorm not hitting any of the enchantment combo pieces is nice as well. Most of my goldfish matchups I just see turn one Aether vial and I EOT grab Dragon and end the game right there. There's no thought or confusion...the game just ends. It's a completely different aspect then regular reanimator has access to...and quite frankly a broken aspect.

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

I'm having a difficult time piloting vs Grixis control and to an extent Death's Shadow. Any advice on how to approach these matchups mostly postboard? It's just the ton of hand discard+counters that's making this difficult...Snapcaster/Surgical also.

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

I wanted to bring up an excellent Entomb target for the sideboard here...Shenanigans. Too cute or what? Being able to tutor for Recurring Shatter effects seems really good here. So far im gonna test it out as a 1x and see how it works out.

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

Im back in full force with the deck. Monoblack variant with Griefs (new explosive card from M2) Won a couple weeklies and have a few X-1s with the list

4x Griselbrand
    4x Dance of the dead
    4x Animate dead
    4x Reanimate
    4x Unmask
    4x Entomb
    4x Dark Ritual
    4x Lotus Petal
    4x Collective Brutality
    3x Worldgorger Dragon
    4x Grief

4x Gier Reach Sanitarium
    3x Piranha Marsh
    9x Swamp

4x Cabal Therapy
    4x Feed the Swarm
    4x Rotting Regisaur
    2x Engineered Explosives
    1x Massacre

You could fit in another Explosives in the board to fight against chalice and cage. But would have to cut a therapy or regisaur. I have considered running Vilis as a 1 of to reanimate as well. Drawing 8 is pretty nice effect off it. Gier Reach has been insane! Being able to loot is so good

For those out of the loop, can you explain the differences between this and the other reanimate variants? What do you like about WGD and dance of the dead that you don’t get from shallow grave + Emmy, children of Korlis plus tendrils, lake of the dead plus grave Titan, or even the traditional ashen rider/faithless looting?

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    For those out of the loop, can you explain the differences between this and the other reanimate variants? What do you like about WGD and dance of the dead that you don’t get from shallow grave + Emmy, children of Korlis plus tendrils, lake of the dead plus grave Titan, or even the traditional ashen rider/faithless looting?
    You dont have to run combo pieces that are dead outside of the combo. Worldgorger is just better then 95% because it ends the game on the spot. Less vulnerable to wasteland effects with 9-10 basics. Also less vulnerable can win the game at 1 life. Dont need to draw cards to combo off which if your life is being pressured is totally relevent. Also more hand discard main (12 spells) with Grief being able to be re abused. Maindeck discard land (Gier Reach) is also nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Rood View Post
    Im back in full force with the deck. Monoblack variant with Griefs (new explosive card from M2) Won a couple weeklies and have a few X-1s with the list

4x Griselbrand
    4x Dance of the dead
    4x Animate dead
    4x Reanimate
    4x Unmask
    4x Entomb
    4x Dark Ritual
    4x Lotus Petal
    4x Collective Brutality
    3x Worldgorger Dragon
    4x Grief

4x Gier Reach Sanitarium
    3x Piranha Marsh
    9x Swamp

4x Cabal Therapy
    4x Feed the Swarm
    4x Rotting Regisaur
    2x Engineered Explosives
    1x Massacre

You could fit in another Explosives in the board to fight against chalice and cage. But would have to cut a therapy or regisaur. I have considered running Vilis as a 1 of to reanimate as well. Drawing 8 is pretty nice effect off it. Gier Reach has been insane! Being able to loot is so good
    How's this been performing for you now? Do you get bored at all of the style of deck?

Thread Information