Page 214 of 258 FirstFirst ... 114164204210211212213214215216217218224 ... LastLast
Results 4,261 to 4,280 of 5144

Thread: [Deck] Imperial Painter

Apr 2015
    Oslo, Norway

Re: [Deck] Imperial Painter

@drude1

Since you got 3 Tutors main, I think it's fine to cut down to 2 Bridges for the 7th blast main. It won't do much against DnT and lands, but having Painter+Blast can snag some games from anything including storm. Blasting their Brainstorms is also fair and could gain another turn or so.

Sideboard is a bit harder for me to comment, because I'm all in for combo game 1 and got planeswalkers and extra bridges side. However with a strong combo setup + backup Chandra with bridges main, I can't imagine you having big trouble with DnT. From the sb Confluences will wreck their hopes and dreams, so I think you're plenty fine without the Sulfur Elementals. I haven't tried elementals enough against miracles to judge how important they are in that matchup tho.
    As for storm-hate, I'm sceptical to the flexibility of Mindbreak trap, but Surgical could do the trick. Never seen it in painter but shouldn't be any less effective here than elsewhere ~
    Othwrwise the consistent T1 Thorn got its merits too.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by drude1 View Post
    So, a few questions for you all...
    1. Surgical vs Mindbreak? Seems surgical is the way to go as it covers the BR reanimator deck much better and it is also good against Loam decks. I'm just not 100% as Mindbreak is much better against belcher and storm
    I'd go with surgical, I think that it's the more versatile card.

2. For people who have played with Sulfur Elemental a lot? Is it really worth it? I played with it a little bit online and thought it was only OK against Miracles and you just don't see D&T online much. I see a lot of D&T on paper though. Is two the right number? Would one be enough?
    I was playing 1 before I discovered that fiery confluence was a card and it was fine. It really comes down to the removal suite you use. If you were playing lighting bolts i'd be more inclined to run him since mom would be the only thing preventing you from using your removal spells. Your miracles and d&t matchups should be insane with the 2 chandras main, 2 fiery confluences, 2 sulfur elementals in the board.

3. Could I go down one tutor entirely to fit in the Canonist? I also really miss the 7th blast and would like to see that come back as well.

Any other glaring omissions? This is in preparation for the Louisville Legacy GP so we are talking about paper magic and I want to think about that meta. I would also consider cutting a welder but it's really nice having multiples when you are more reliant on cards like ensnaring bridge. Looking for any help possible. thanks.
    I'll echo what Morcrux said about the bridge. I think that you can cut a copy main for the canonist/blast/whatever. I think your list looks pretty good overall, best of luck in both the invi and the classic.

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

So decided to do some practicing online with the new list and wouldn't you know it, my first MU was belcher. Sitting there with a surgical in my hand (don't even know why I brought it in) as I die on turn one was not awesome. Then proceeded to play against Nic fit round two and am thinking, where is my RiP?!? Was that fate trying to tell me something or just bad beats? Anyway, haven't given up the dream yet. Maybe will try cutting a bridge for the blast. It makes it a little harder to have one in play when I drop Chandra but I'll see how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 2014
    Vancouver, Canada

Hi all,

So I ran painter back again and missed top 8 tie breaks hitting 9th. A fellow painter played in the region managed to get in though. His list can be found here http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=14078&d=283725&f=LE

I ran nearly the same list as the previous tournament http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=13929&d=282435&f=LE
    But importantly cut magus and 1 bridge for 2 new Chandra.

New Chandra definitely impressed me however ajani still does more work in the sideboard games. That being said they make a great team!

Overall I feel the shell of the shortcake deck is in a good place right now and offers the flexibility you need to go deep in a tournament.

In terms of my sideboard I dropped my sphere and warmth burn hate in favour of a faerie macabre and another piece of gravehate.

The Faire is where you want to be in feel since it dodges so much of the interaction that makes RB reanimator and other GY decks work well in sideboard games. It's also tutorable.

On a more theory crafting and almost theological perspective I think the Chiba mono red list is a synthesis of a strong mono red list and really exemplifies the approach to most match ups with the 3 grindstone and 4 planeswalker. Mono red was and is inherently more a prison deck due to the redundant none silver bullet nature of the deck.

Having played both styles for over two years each I would favour the RW build. Although if the field is full of eldrazi perhaps mono red is fine.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mcbain; 12-05-2016 at 10:12 PM.

What do you guys think of the new spoiled card:

http://mythicspoiler.com/aer/cards/scraptrawler.html

Scrap Trawler
    Artifact Creature - Construct
    Whenever Scrap Trawler or another artifact you control is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, return to your hand target artifact card in your graveyard with lesser converted mana cost.
    3/2

Seems like a good friend for Goblin Welder? Just can't be pulled with recruiter :(

Jan 2014
    Vancouver, Canada

Cute. This is almost a standard poor man's impersonation of goblin welder. I'd rather just have the real thing.

Also, it's 3 mana and doesn't do anything when you cast it. I'll pass.

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

It's basically a junk diver....not playable in legacy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Only thing I want to see this spoiler season is Masterwork Grindstone...

Sep 2014
    West Chester, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Moomba View Post
    I super agree with this. I'm interested to see the new tezz for Grixis lists too though
    Last edited by Mapson; 12-07-2016 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moomba View Post
    I'm hoping for masterwork bridge, EE, etc as well.

How many CoTs do people usually run? I run gemstone caverns while I'm waiting to buy them. I've been impressed with GC surprisingly.

Sep 2014
    West Chester, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Valleysdai View Post
    I'm hoping for masterwork bridge, EE, etc as well.

How many CoTs do people usually run? I run gemstone caverns while I'm waiting to buy them. I've been impressed with GC surprisingly.
    3 in Rw, 4 in mono R

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

For those of you running a basic plains somewhere in your 75 what is the setup for the land base? I would like to try out plains again but i'm unsure of whether or not I want it in the main. I'm not running any of the walkers in the main so I imagine the plains can stay in the side. So would something like this work? Do you think with the basic plains it makes sense to switch burn to swords? I know that Keller did something like that in the past but I don't know if anyone experimented with that idea later on.

4 Arid Mesa
    1 Red Fetch (Swap this out for the basic plains in the sideboard when needed)
    3 City of Traitors
    4 Mountains
    1 Great Furance
    4 Ancient Tomb

Sep 2014
    West Chester, PA

What are people's sweepers of choice right now? Getting ready for louisville. I'm thinking of playing3 kozileks returns I the board as it seems the best choice against all the d&t right now and I line that you can get elves after they use symbiote on their turn.

Also, does anybody have a good plan for beating grixis deliver. Looking at the metagame of late out seems like the only big deck I'm concerned about

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

Pyroclasm for sure. 3 mana for the same effect (k return) is too much against delver when they can pierce/daze you. Same argument can be made for dnt with thalia/wingmare in the mix. For the revoker-mom scenario I've usually found you'll be able to stall long enough to flash a sulfur elemental and block it or then follow up with additional removal next turn if need be. I dunno I haven't had a lot of trouble with elves ever, maybe it's just me. I view sweepers there as icing on the (short)cake rather than necessary
    Strawberry Shortcake

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...erry-Shortcake

What a brainstorm do? Draw card and activate on draw effects fix hand, removing woods
    #FreeNedleeds

As a hypothetical scenario if you have a CoT, SSG and a petal for a turn 1 blood moon how would you cast blood moon?

You're on the play and don't know what deck the opponent is playing

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

Quote Originally Posted by Valleysdai View Post
    As a hypothetical scenario if you have a CoT, SSG and a petal for a turn 1 blood moon how would you cast blood moon?

You're on the play and don't know what deck the opponent is playing

You use the monkey over the petal for any potential enlightened tutors
    Strawberry Shortcake

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...erry-Shortcake

What a brainstorm do? Draw card and activate on draw effects fix hand, removing woods
    #FreeNedleeds

Jan 2014
    Vancouver, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    For those of you running a basic plains somewhere in your 75 what is the setup for the land base? I would like to try out plains again but i'm unsure of whether or not I want it in the main. I'm not running any of the walkers in the main so I imagine the plains can stay in the side. So would something like this work? Do you think with the basic plains it makes sense to switch burn to swords? I know that Keller did something like that in the past but I don't know if anyone experimented with that idea later on.

4 Arid Mesa
    1 Red Fetch (Swap this out for the basic plains in the sideboard when needed)
    3 City of Traitors
    4 Mountains
    1 Great Furance
    4 Ancient Tomb
    This is my mana base right now and I have been very happy with it. In some match ups you switch the red fetch and in others you switch a petal for the Plains depending if your aiming for a long or short game.

For sweepers I have been running zero for the last few months without issue. If I were to play sweepers they would likely be either pyroclasm, fiery confluence, or pyrokenisis. Pyroclasm is my least favorite.

I am not counting sulfur elemental. That card is a beast. The most obvious uses are for the Dnt match up and monastery mentor. However, when on the draw I have been known to name white when playing against elves (on play t1 moon typically takes priority).

As for grixis delver I have a very strong record in big tournaments against the deck (most delver decks). Generally keep these two rules in mind and you should be able to navigate to a W.

1. Develop your mana base. Basic lands are where you want to be. Delver will aggressively attack your mana. If possible, let them, so long as you are following the second rule. An example of this would be playing a sol land over a mountain if it would slow your opponent down.

2. Keep your life total high. Early cards like delver and deathrite need to die. In my opinion if your relying on sweeper to accomplish this it will lead to a loss. Play cheap removal in your board like lightning bolt or sudden shock.

Additionally cards like ajani vengent really exemplify rule 2 wherein you gain upwards of 6 life (both real life and redirected damage) and gain card advantage.

Hi guys, i miss the top 8 in mtgo legacy premier with mono-red imperial........... loss to julian with elves the decisive match, at moment im in holiday, il try to post a mini report shotrly

This is the decklist: http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=14232&d=284821

Hey all, I'm just wondering if I can get some critiques on my RW list

4x Ancient Tomb
    4x Blood Moon
    2x Bloodstained Mire
    3x City of Traitors
    2x Enlightened Tutor
    2x Ensnaring Bridge
    3x Goblin Welder
    1x Great Furnace
    4x Grindstone
    4x Imperial Recruiter
    1x Jaya Ballard, Task Mage
    3x Lotus Petal
    1x Magus of the Moon
    5x Mountain
    4x Painter's Servant
    1x Phyrexian Revoker
    2x Plateau
    4x Pyroblast
    2x Red Elemental Blast
    3x Sensei's Divining Top
    2x Simian Spirit Guide
    1x Spellskite
    2x Wooded Foothills

Sideboard
    1x Circle of Protection: Red
    1x Containment Priest
    1x Duergar Hedge-Mage
    1x Engineered Explosives
    1x Enlightened Tutor
    1x Ethersworn Canonist
    2x Koth of the Hammer
    2x Pyrokinesis
    1x Rest in Peace
    1x Scab-Clan Berserker
    1x Thorn of Amethyst
    1x Tormod's Crypt
    1x Trinisphere

My main concern is that I REALLY don't like that Spellskite; every time I draw it it just makes me feel bad and I never want to recruit it unless I'm against Infect, and even then, I kinda just wanna kill them rather than prevent them from killing me. However, I'm not sure what I want to replace it with. I've considered a MB Hedge-Mage (along wth the SB one) and moving a Koth from the SB to the MB, but then idk what to replace that with. I'd love to hear your guys' suggestions and any other opinions you guys would have. I would like to say though that I do not want to go mono-red and I don't want to go to a more all-in version, I'm fine with the more toolbox-y version. TIA!!

Apr 2015
    Oslo, Norway

Quote Originally Posted by Flower_Power View Post
    My main concern is that I REALLY don't like that Spellskite; every time I draw it it just makes me feel bad and I never want to recruit it unless I'm against Infect, and even then, I kinda just wanna kill them rather than prevent them from killing me. However, I'm not sure what I want to replace it with. I've considered a MB Hedge-Mage (along wth the SB one) and moving a Koth from the SB to the MB, but then idk what to replace that with. I'd love to hear your guys' suggestions and any other opinions you guys would have. I would like to say though that I do not want to go mono-red and I don't want to go to a more all-in version, I'm fine with the more toolbox-y version. TIA!!
    Spellskite is a bit deceptive in this deck, it seems fine as a tutor-target but almost always it's just better to fetch another Painter and churn through their removal.

For mainboard I'd advocate a 3rd E.Tutor, and maybe cut either Magus or Phyrexian for 7th blast in its place, with cut depending on meta. Toolbox is fun, but Rw is really more of a combo list and Painter will be recruited 99% of the time. Personally I don't have any other ''toolbox-features'' main other than the neccesary evil that is E.Bridge + an Engineered Explosives to escape counterbalance or chalice. It's quite fair to have toolbox in sideboard tho, like the stapled hedge-mage and some alt wincon and/or Magus.

Imo the sb is something that is to be shaped by trial and error, since most cards in the right colors can't be written off as obsolete. That said, I do think your sideboard is a bit light on burn. I understand that silver bullets or combo is your bet, but I'd reccommend to at least add 3rd kinesis or 2-3 low cost removal to deal with early threats in delver, dnt, merfolk etc so you don't get overwhelmed if they are to follow up with soft permission on your pieces.
    Dig the Koths, miss the guy, but I don't like him mainboard since he doesn't progress the main plan and ain't useful against enough matchups. If you'd like a walker main I think the only option for Rw is new Chandra, but keeping them sb for matches where they rock is the safest option.

Otherwise the board looks fine. May move or cut some of the things I mentioned before for burn if you want the something closer to ''current stock''. However I'd recommend not to alter it too much and rather find the deck's weakspots yourself, and we'll discuss the best way to cover them!

Thread Information